DLT and army using entrapment to snare Uber drivers in Pattaya

webfact

DLT and army using entrapment to snare Uber drivers in Pattaya

3pm.jpg

Picture: TNews

PATTAYA: -- The Department of Land Transport is using sting operations to entrap Uber drivers and rid Pattaya of the private taxi service.

Tnews reported that the DLT were now working in tandem with the military to get the service run out of town.

All they need to do is pretend to be customers and they can snare their victims.

Yesterday they reported that a driver called Sunthorn Phimtham, 39, driving a white Toyota Camry was trapped working for Uber.

He was caught outside the Baron Beach Hotel and fined 2,000 baht for incorrect use of his vehicle.

Somchai Ratkaew, a local DLT inspection division chief said that Uber was causing a lot of problems in Pattaya.

While their service is convenient and affordable it is also illegal, said Somchai, noting that Uber is a foreign company.

Somchai said that the DLT and their military helpers would not rest and intend to work on the issue with 2,000 baht fines and removal of licenses in the offing.

Licenses could be taken away for 3 months, six months or even permanently said the official.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-14

Reckon there would be a heap of baht changing hands at the moment ! I mean to say nearly everybody Thai and foreigners knows who runs the place there and a few other tourist destinations and it isn't the Thais

Good to see, maybe the same approach could be used to catch illegal short term renters.

I still dont get the whole uber thing, people use the argument that normal taxi's dont use their meters, Uber taxi's dont have meters. At least with a normal Taxi, there is a level of licensing and insurance etc, an uber car there is no idea if the driver is licensed or the car insured.

I can see an instance in the future where someones travel insurance claim will be refused because they were traveling in an illegal taxi, not licensed or insured to carry passengers

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I still dont get the whole uber thing, people use the argument that normal taxi's dont use their meters, Uber taxi's dont have meters. At least with a normal Taxi, there is a level of licensing and insurance etc, an uber car there is no idea if the driver is licensed or the car insured.

I can see an instance in the future where someones travel insurance claim will be refused because they were traveling in an illegal taxi, not licensed or insured to carry passengers

I never use taxis or Uber here but I think the point about Uber is that the app tells you the price before the driver even comes to you. Given that official drivers in Pattaya never seem to use their meters the Uber system would be an improvement on that.

In the UK you can buy proper legal insurance to use a vehicle for private hire (which is what Uber is). Not sure if the insurance companies sell it here though, or if many Uber vehicle owners bother to buy it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I never use taxis or Uber here but I think the point about Uber is that the app tells you the price before the driver even comes to you. Given that official drivers in Pattaya never seem to use their meters the Uber system would be an improvement on that.

In the UK you can buy proper legal insurance to use a vehicle for private hire (which is what Uber is). Not sure if the insurance companies sell it here though, or if many Uber vehicle owners bother to buy it.

I cant see the difference, there are apps or phone numbers for getting taxi's, in any built up urban area they are out the front of your hotel/condo. You tell them where you want to go and ask how much, or they put the meter on.

As you say, in the UK you can buy private "for hire" insurance, which would indicate that normal car insurance doesn't cover carrying people for hire. I think in the future these business models like uber, airbnb etc are yet to be tested, and will fail, when it comes to commercial insurance coverage.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

This just identifies that the DLT are complicit in Thailands Taxi woes rather than the potential solution.

I expect that there is indeed some envelope transfer going on in the taxi>DLT direction.

Somchai Ratkaew, a local DLT inspection division chief said that Uber was causing a lot of problems 

Stupid me! I was believing it were the legit taxi drivers who are causing a lot of problems 

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 2

Fix the problem it's the TAXI's that are the issue.

As far as Uber is concerned I deleted the APP and will never use that company again after the gouged travelers in London during the recent events. To hell with them and if there was a hotline I'd report Uber drivers.

Play it FAIR AND GET THOSE LICENCED TAXI DRIVERS WHO CONSTANTLY CHEAT US PASSENGERS.

Some people are biased which makes most of us public question their  real motive. Clowns would ignore the real issue and the real problem .

Did you ever ask why should the Public use Uber ?

The other day the Army did excellent  job when they entrapped 3 taxi drivers acting completely outside the law and scope of work.These are the people you should go after .?

• Like 1

Are the Party's Taxis metered?

I have not yet met 1 that agrees to use meter and I will never get into 1.

I am  certain if I run legit metered taxis in Pattaya the other Taxi drivers will do their best to stop us using the meters?????

6 hours ago, gmac said:

The arm of the baht bus mafia is long and reaches far!

Not as long as the metered taxis me thinks, who took to surrounding the Uber drivers and trapping them,....rather than entrapping them.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Licenses could be taken away for 3 months, six months or even permanently said the official.

As long as HiSo's can crash their Mercedes in other cars at 200 km/h can keep their license, the Thai world is in order.

• Like 2