best way to invest 3M baht.... sitting idle in bank

i have 3M in kasikorn bank. 

i cannot open another bank as i have no visa

im married to thai 

so , can anyone advise what is best way to get a decent enough return on this ?  and how much per year could i see back ?    thankyou 

top marks for the first <deleted> to say " buy a beer bar " 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously ..... 3mil is chump change ....  you can put it into EFT's and get around 4-5%  buy a couple of cheap units and rent them and get maybe 6-8%  ....

It all depends on the risk you are prepared to take ..

you can get around 8-10%  on stocks but the risk is much higher in that you could also lose some years ....

you can get 1% or so from a fixed one year deposit.

you can easily open a bank account with that amount if you have an setv or better. If you are married you should have a visa.

you could invest in government bonds for 2% or 3%.

and of course you could try to buy a condo and rent it out yourself

The best ROI you'll get on your money is by waiting for one of these emails about a famous price or someone famous dying and their relative is emailing you to help you get the money out of the country. They only usually ask for a few thousand dollars but they will give you millions! With 3 million baht you could do that many times and get very very rich. I've personally done it and now I'm super rich & made it into the hi-so society rubbing shoulders with the rich & famous. Before that I was just the typical bum with no money.

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

seriously ..... 3mil is chump change ....  you can put it into EFT's and get around 4-5%  buy a couple of cheap units and rent them and get maybe 6-8%  ....

It all depends on the risk you are prepared to take ..

you can get around 8-10%  on stocks but the risk is much higher in that you could also lose some years ....

I own a few units, built from ground up. In the West this wouldn't really happen due to the ability to do background checks etc..When you refer to cheap units, cheap units bring in the lowest rental levels of people in general. They come and go, and when they do, the place is trashed, each vacancy requires more expense to get it back into the market.  The cheap units, the tenants are late, they skip out on the middle of the night.  All this is in general,  but in 10 years of owning units, if I can sell them I would, I would gladly sell the guy a six unit for 3 million. Send me a PM?

But like one guy said, 3 million is chump change!  just put it in a C.D.  for a rainy day!

Edited by thailand49

Not sure where you are but if in Pattaya I believe they are having some sort of "Banking Party" at the Windmill tonight with girls from BKK Bank there to help ppl open accounts so will almost certainly not be applying any silly 'rules'.

Given the odd location maybe not best to take the wife!

Unless you want to invest it in an honest business (which includes work of course) you might consider transferring the money out of the country back to your homeland. 

Arguably the Thai Baht is too strong, resp. some Western currencies are presently too weak. Over the span of 30 years I saw the disintegration of the THB compared to other currencies. Take the USD which went from  22.90 via 56.00 and meanwhile balanced out at somewhere 34. The Swiss Franc went from 8.90 to 42.60 and now stands somewhere at 35. 
Combine this with inflation and it becomes very visible that the THB, in the long run, inches downwards. The export and tourism orientation of Thailand needs an attractive (i.e. cheap) currency and this works fine as long as domestic inflation is under control. 

The interest paid domestically are as ridiculous as what you get in Europe or elsewhere, so it is purely exchange rating. Once you have some hard(er) currency, you might want to look at "foolproof" stock options by companies with "boring" returns, be it in the pharmaceutical or food industry - as an idea.  

If you have to ask on this forum you are probably the wrong person to invest in anything......just sit on the money and you will still have it in three or more years time. Anything else will give you only a small return, unless it is high risk and then a lot of the money will be Bye Bye if it goes wrong.

9 hours ago, ericthai said:

you dont need a visa to open a bank account.  

Aaaah...........but when I transferred my Bank account to another branch, they asked for my passport that had the Visa in it, they made a copy of that page - didn't matter to them that the Passport had expired, they wanted to see the Visa.  SCB.

Edited by TunnelRat69

Investing in property in Thailand is very risky. There is a high chance you will get ripped off, and your money will quickly dissappear.

Beer bars  are also a bad investment. Every beer bar owner I have known has admitted he can't make money.. I have run an online business with 2 websites. which return 20%. It is a small business with a good return, far better than any bank with no risks. I am looking for an investor to increase my turnover so this business can develop and get bigger. It has been succesful for 5 years. I would be willing to share the 20% 50/50. so any investor would get a garaunteed 10%. this is not a sales pitch. I'm not interested in taking anyone's money., and I'm  not talking millions of baht. In fact I would suggest spreading your investment around for safety. the first thing I learned when studying for my business degree was don't put all your eggs in one basket. In this case you don't even have to get involved in the day to day running, just sit back and watch the 10% add up. I have a Thai bank account and UK bank account so transfers to you would be easy.. You could start with a little as you want to try it out. I've been thinking of getting an investor for a while as the business could get so much bigger and you could invest as much as you want. If your request is genuine please PM me (not sure how that  works  but send me a message) for more details. No scammers please, this is a genuine offer. I need someone I can trust and you will get the same in return. I will see through any scammers so I'm only interested in genuine people only.

1 hour ago, Orac said:

Not sure where you are but if in Pattaya I believe they are having some sort of "Banking Party" at the Windmill tonight with girls from BKK Bank there to help ppl open accounts so will almost certainly not be applying any silly 'rules'.

Given the odd location maybe not best to take the wife!

Must be a typo. It's not Banking, but W <deleted>.

:laugh:

Things I would not do:

1. Go into business with someone from ThaiVisa

2. Buy property in Thailand

3. Buy a business in Thailand

Things I would do:

1. Go shopping for the best return from banks in Thailand (Try https://thailand.deposits.org/) for a start

2. Open an International account with Charles Schwab (US). If you don't know what you're doing invest in US Treasuries and low cost ETF index funds. 

3. Find out from Kasikorn what they're term deposit rates are. Make sure interest rates are not taxed. That's probably the easiest thing to do. At least you're earning 2-3%. 

If it were me this is what I'd do (and I'm not giving any financial advice, this is purely what I would do)

I would buy up to 1.5 million baht worth of Ethereum (a crypto currency)

I would buy up to 1.5 million baht worth into a basket of other crypto currencies.

If I had a bit more I'd look into the possibility of acquiring a Masternode for one or more cryptos.

Things I would not do:
1. Go into business with someone from ThaiVisa
2. Buy property in Thailand
3. Buy a business in Thailand

Things I would do:
1. Go shopping for the best return from banks in Thailand (Try https://thailand.deposits.org/) for a start
2. Open an International account with Charles Schwab (US). If you don't know what you're doing invest in US Treasuries and low cost ETF index funds. 
3. Find out from Kasikorn what they're term deposit rates are. Make sure interest rates are not taxed. That's probably the easiest thing to do. At least you're earning 2-3%. 

Though good advice, the one thing I would be wary of is the US brokerage account for non US citizens since, in the event of death, they could become liable to estate tax if over 60,000 dollars and funds could be tied up for a considerable time after a death before IRS will authorise release. Better options may be available elsewhere such as Saxo, Singapore or TD Direct/Internaxx , Luxembourg.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Freespirit said:

you don't even have to get involved in the day to day running

so I can sit at the bar and get pissed all day and get my 10% .....  :shock1:

wow  !   where do I sign ....      lol

Edited by steven100

i just sold a condo ....never ever again !! 

to the guy who says " you dont need a visa to open a bank account  "      oh yes you do  !!!  

Maybe a daft question but why not just get a visa?