rice planting hand tool

notrub

Our family have a number of rai which are seeded by machine these days.  There are some places where the seed did not take and so now we are planting by hand bent over and that is slow and painful.  Is there a tool on a long handle that would make a small hole and then release a seed or two into the hole which would be scuffed over as the person moved along.  Something like a long handled narrow trowel with a container holding seeds (like a 1.5 litre water bottle) and with a tube going down to be beside where the hole has been made.  A small spring release would allow one or two seeds out at a time.   Anything like this exist or any ideas how I could make one?  The seed release part and tube would be the key I would have thought as the tool and the handle are readily available already.  Thanks in advance for any information or ideas.

Thanks for comments.  I am going to put a length of steel pipe over the hollow tube handle of a smallish digging tool.  Don't know what these are called.  Sort of like a garden trowel with a square nose stuck onto a handle.  Common tool here. This will give it weight to go deep enough and I will drop seed down the tube and just scuff the dirt over.  Small funnel at the top too.   

Hello All, Ther was a thread I beleave in the OG section

at the top of the farming forum page, about rice weeders

and I do believe that that the drum rice seeder was also

covered.

Drum rice seeders do multi rows and space the rows for

use of the push row weeder.

I have seen both items for sale in Thai Ag Magazines, I 

ECCO of something like that in CM was also selling them.

I don't know if the uTube link will work or not, but if you

go to uTube and enter "rice seeder" you'll get several vids

of the planters in use, very popular in India, Thai's don't

like change.

5 rows as fast as you can walk, put the wheel in the in the

old track and head back to the other end and keep your

row spacing.

rice555

Drum-Seeder.jpg

DRUM SEEDER ASSLY - Duration- 9-34. MAGNIFICENT ENGINEERS 73,216 views.webloc

Over the years up here, some of the more adventurous farmers tried planting seed with a regular planter. Everyone of them is back to the old way of transplanting. Apparently they have decided that transplanting for the increased yield is worth the extra labor.

• 3 months later...