Wrist watches in Pattaya

JohnJay

What is the best place to buy wrist watches in Pattaya? New, or used, and where is there a good watch maker? There seems to be a good selection of watches in central festival (Omegas, TAGs, etc), but how do these prices compare to elsewhere? Is it better to buy at an airport with zero sales tax?

Has anyone got their watch serviced, regulated or polished in Pattaya? How much did it cost? I'm very wary of who I allow to mess with my watch...

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Watches aren't particularly cheap in Thailand, so don't expect to find any bargains.

I thought 100 Baht was cheap till I seen them for 50 Baht in Big C Pattaya Klang......not the expensive type obviously but baffling how they can make them that cheaply and make a profit, even if only worked for an hour.

Mr Wong at the back of the market opposite Wat Chaimongkrol, Pattaya Tai. He sells good quality watches (fake and legit) and he also services and repairs. All I can say is people go back to him time and again, myself included. 

16 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I thought 100 Baht was cheap till I seen them for 50 Baht in Big C Pattaya Klang......not the expensive type obviously but baffling how they can make them that cheaply and make a profit, even if only worked for an hour.

I think the OP may be looking for something a little better than a 100/50 baht watch.

What is the best place to buy wrist watches in Pattaya? New, or used, and where is there a good watch maker? There seems to be a good selection of watches in central festival (Omegas, TAGs, etc), but how do these prices compare to elsewhere? Is it better to buy at an airport with zero sales tax?

Has anyone got their watch serviced, regulated or polished in Pattaya? How much did it cost? I'm very wary of who I allow to mess with my watch...

You didn't say if you want a real one or a fake copy :)

5 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

You didn't say if you want a real one or a fake copy :)

It's not permitted to discuss copy or fake watches, and he's already mentioned Central Festival and they don't sell fake watches there.

Edited by giddyup

If the OP is looking for good quality "replica" watches there is a very long thread particularly about Jack's, but also mentions Mr Wong, in the forum for those "addicted" to Pattaya......

It is a very long thread but seems to be a lot of knowledgeable watch people posting in it.

Jacks is the second watch shop in from Pattaya Klang end on Soi Buakhow.

Just now, topt said:

If the OP is looking for good quality "replica" watches there is a very long thread particularly about Jack's, but also mentions Mr Wong, in the forum for those "addicted" to Pattaya......

It is a very long thread but seems to be a lot of knowledgeable watch people posting in it.

Jacks is the second watch shop in from Pattaya Klang end on Soi Buakhow.

I doubt if he's looking for a copy as he's already mentioned looking at the watch dept. at Central Festival.

12 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I doubt if he's looking for a copy as he's already mentioned looking at the watch dept. at Central Festival.

Yes but he is also talking about second hand and the thread I mention also has some comment about online watch retailers

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

Watches aren't particularly cheap in Thailand, so don't expect to find any bargains.

Actually I used to think this as well, however, about 15 months or so ago I was in Central Embassy in Bangkok and asked about the price of a Hublot Classic Fusion watch, which was the same model that I had purchased in Abu Dhabi airport duty free a couple of months prior, initial price was far more expensive, then the counter offer came and it was a LOT cheaper then I had paid :sad:

3 years ago, asked about a Rolex Explorer 2 at the Rolex shop in BKK airport and that was far more expensive than buying it in the UK at full retail price and including 20% VAT.

Moral, shop around!!!

Edited by Mattd

Around 5 years ago I bought a Breitling Aerospace Advantage from Pendulum the official importers, in Siam Paragon, Bangkok for £2200.

Prior to handing over the money, I checked the UK price and saw that it had dropped from £3100 to £2800 but it was still a bargain.

Shortly after, I returned to the UK and claimed the VAT back at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

That brought it down to £1980.

Even better.

Then whilst waiting for the flight I had a look in King Power and the same watch was in there at £2500.

I know Pendulum is not in Pattaya but hopefully this gives an insight into the duty free rip off.

In Pattaya, I also use Jack in Soi Bukao. 

He looks after my 20 year old Aerospace and my other not quite so originals I bought from him over the years.

A lovely guy who cannot do enough for his customers.

How he compares to Mr Wong on prices I cannot say as I had a fall out with him many years ago and dont go there anymore.

Edited by johnnymo

9 hours ago, doodle said:

Mr Wong at the back of the market opposite Wat Chaimongkrol, Pattaya Tai. He sells good quality watches (fake and legit) and he also services and repairs. All I can say is people go back to him time and again, myself included. 

I don't want to buy from someone that's selling fake watches. I've seen a lot of farangs wearing fake Rolexes in Pattaya, and you can always spot them a mile off.

Edited by JohnJay

36 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

What I do in this digital age is look at my mobile phone if I need to know the time. What's the use of a watch? There's really no need for watches & one day they will become obsolete.

You either get it or you don't. I've always appreciated a mechanical timepiece myself, it's like wearing a tiny engine on your wrist.

6 minutes ago, JohnJay said:

You either get it or you don't. I've always appreciated a mechanical timepiece myself, it's like wearing a tiny engine on your wrist.

I agree. The idea of going out without a watch would feel like I forgot to put on pants. As far as becoming obsolete, there are probably more watches sold now than ever before.

Edited by giddyup

30 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I agree. The idea of going out without a watch would feel like I forgot to put on pants. As far as becoming obsolete, there are probably more watches sold now than ever before.

If you buy someone a mechanical watch (preferably skeleton) like a Swatch Sistem51, or even one of those Chinese watches for $5, they always fall in love with looking at how it works, and can appreciate everything that's gone into it. The only problem I have is justifying the cost, no-one can ever understand that.... But my wife would have no problem if I bought her a 2 baht gold chain :biggrin:

4 hours ago, johnnymo said:

Around 5 years ago I bought a Breitling Aerospace Advantage from Pendulum the official importers, in Siam Paragon, Bangkok for £2200.

Prior to handing over the money, I checked the UK price and saw that it had dropped from £3100 to £2800 but it was still a bargain.

Shortly after, I returned to the UK and claimed the VAT back at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

That brought it down to £1980.

Even better.

Then whilst waiting for the flight I had a look in King Power and the same watch was in there at £2500.

I know Pendulum is not in Pattaya but hopefully this gives an insight into the duty free rip off.

In Pattaya, I also use Jack in Soi Bukao. 

He looks after my 20 year old Aerospace and my other not quite so originals I bought from him over the years.

A lovely guy who cannot do enough for his customers.

How he compares to Mr Wong on prices I cannot say as I had a fall out with him many years ago and dont go there anymore.

Thanks Johnny, very helpful

40 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Sometimes I like to walk around outside without pants, it let's the big boy get some fresh air. As Leonard says on The Big Bang Theory: "Easy Peasy, Oh So Breezy"

Edited by bbi1

At a beer bar....:smile:

I have looked at prices at the airport and they don't look cheap.

I get my Tag serviced etc in Bangkok, last time cost me 3800 baht but would depend on what else you had done to it.

Took it to a shop in Gaysom Village/Plaza. Great excuse for a one night in Bangkok as the song goes.

Edited by jacko45k

17 hours ago, bbi1 said:

What I do in this digital age is look at my mobile phone if I need to know the time. What's the use of a watch? There's really no need for watches & one day they will become obsolete.

Unlike a mobile phone, a nice mechanical watch can be an investment that can be passed on for generations.

2 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I wouldn't classify a watch as an investment.

Then you obviously don't know much then!!

Try Googling Comex Rolex Sea-Dweller as just one of hundreds of examples, I have at least two watches that are worth far more now than when purchased, even taking in to account the rise in the cost of living etc.

A proper watch purchased for the right price can appreciate in value, no doubts!