Thais flummoxed - what was Cambodian man doing with 126 ATM cards and 3 million baht in a bag at a border ATM

webfact

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Do you remember my question, that if the money is proved to be legitimate, will it be returned?

Every time you have mentioned legitimacy of the funds you have linked it to his innocence. There is no such link in the law applicable.

Every time you have asked will the funds be returned if proved legitimate, I have answered "yes", but pointed out that is not linked to whether he is found innocent or guilty.

Have the last say, I'm out of here. you are simply wasting my time.

3 minutes ago, halloween said:

Every time you have mentioned legitimacy of the funds you have linked it to his innocence. There is no such link in the law applicable.

Every time you have asked will the funds be returned if proved legitimate, I have answered "yes", but pointed out that is not linked to whether he is found innocent or guilty.

Have the last say, I'm out of here. you are simply wasting my time.

And yet you still don't answer my question.

The link to his story being correct [my original point/question] and the money being, therefore, legitimate, is clear.

If his story is correct, the money belongs to the workers.

So, will it be returned or alternatively given to the workers directly?

Edited by Bluespunk

24 minutes ago, halloween said:
33 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

If the money is indeed the workers wages, as he claims, and he is collecting it for them, as he claims, then the money and cards are legitimate. 

Therefore he is not only innocent, but (as in many other countries) should have these legitimate items (money and cards) returned to him. 

Did anybody ever dispute that? What I said, and you seem unable to comprehend, is that the legitimacy of the funds will have to be proven, whether or not he is found guilty of any crime.

It's not that Bluespunk is 'unable to comprehend' anything, Halloween, only that he's unable to be contradicted.

He's used to making sententious comments on this Forum and getting a lot of 'likes' for them (as pomposity is often mistaken for common sense), so when someone dares to point out that he's been writing something a bit too fast and without enough thinking to support his statement, he gets upset and will go on arguing endlessly like a 12 year old in the schoolyard.

I got caught up once, won't happen again, because it's pointless.

3 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

It's not that Bluespunk is 'unable to comprehend' anything, Halloween, only that he's unable to be contradicted.

He's used to making sententious comments on this Forum and getting a lot of 'likes' for them (as pomposity is often mistaken for common sense), so when someone dares to point out that he's been writing something a bit too fast and without enough thinking to support his statement, he gets upset and will go on arguing endlessly like a 12 year old in the schoolyard.

Care to answer my question?

I've thought it through and the poster you so lovingly console still hasn't. 

As for the rest of your rather snide post...yawn. 

Just now, Bluespunk said:
6 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

Care to answer my question?

I've thought it through and the poster you so lovingly console still hasn't. 

As for the rest of your rather snide post...yawn. 

:cheesy:

I know very well this problem but I don't know this guy.

When you want to send money to Cambodia you always need an honest Cambodian to make the job. I use a woman, also from Poipet. I send money on her Thai bank account and she goes to the same Kasikorn ATM at the border but she withdraws only once a day.

This guy looks honest (he had been released anyway). The dishonest guys are the ones who kept the money that the migrants got from their hard work.

2 hours ago, halloween said:

For Pete's sake - for the last bloody time, his innocence has NOTHING to do with the legitimacy of the assets seized. Neither you or I know if that legitimacy is easy to prove, but if he is churning a million baht a day from 9 bank accounts, the odds are the money is dirty one way or another

And u know this do u Sherlock? ?

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

And yet you still don't answer my question.

The link to his story being correct [my original point/question] and the money being, therefore, legitimate, is clear.

If his story is correct, the money belongs to the workers.

So, will it be returned or alternatively given to the workers directly?

Correct

But due to the fact that no solid evidence could be obtained in time from the Bang Plee police they were obliged to release the suspect, reported Thai Rath.

But confiscated all his money & cards, hope he got e receipt so it will all be returned should he prove his case ?

16 minutes ago, geovalin said:

I know very well this problem but I don't know this guy.

When you want to send money to Cambodia you always need an honest Cambodian to make the job. I use a woman, also from Poipet. I send money on her Thai bank account and she goes to the same Kasikorn ATM at the border but she withdraws only once a day.

This guy looks honest (he had been released anyway). The dishonest guys are the ones who kept the money that the migrants got from their hard work.

Yes. As usual the real criminals here are the ones that we pay to stop criminals. 

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

If the money is indeed the workers wages, as he claims, and he is collecting it for them, as he claims, then the money and cards are legitimate. 

Therefore he is not only innocent, but (as in many other countries) should have these legitimate items (money and cards) returned to him. 

The money and cards may be legitimate, but what he was doing with them was not. You are limited to carrying a maximum of 500,000 baht of personal funds out of the country. He had over 3 million, by his own admission belonging to others, and his intention was clearly to carry that back to Cambodia where it would be distributed to family.

My guess is that the guy is probably telling the truth, but the business he was doing is illegal.  Whether he can be prosecuted or not is a different story. An intent to commit a crime (smuggling money across the border) is not the same as committing a crime. But it is enough for the police to keep the money and return it to the people who rightfully own it.  They couldn't very will give it back to him knowing he had no option but to carry it illegally across the border.

7 minutes ago, Monomial said:

The money and cards may be legitimate, but what he was doing with them was not. You are limited to carrying a maximum of 500,000 baht of personal funds out of the country. He had over 3 million, by his own admission belonging to others, and his intention was clearly to carry that back to Cambodia where it would be distributed to family.

My guess is that the guy is probably telling the truth, but the business he was doing is illegal.  Whether he can be prosecuted or not is a different story. An intent to commit a crime (smuggling money across the border) is not the same as committing a crime. But it is enough for the police to keep the money and return it to the people who rightfully own it.  They couldn't very will give it back to him knowing he had no option but to carry it illegally across the border.

That's all I was asking about.

Cheers

4 minutes ago, lucjoker said:

He is guilty of stupidity !

The people who called the cops .....even more stupid: they called in the thieves!

Guess what i would have done ?

That's bordering on defamation. Thai police are very honest. The rightful owners will get their money back, all 1M baht of it.

17 minutes ago, wprime said:

That's bordering on defamation. Thai police are very honest. The rightful owners will get their money back, all 1M baht of it.

Hello wakey wakey very honest and the rightful owners will get their money back.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Dream on, they are the biggest crooks in Thailand.