"Dark skinned gang" paid 100 Thai women 5,000 baht each on Facebook to marry for long term visas

webfact

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

I interpreted your earlier post as an attempt to rationalize and justify why Africans are viewed with suspicion in general, a view often voiced on these forums. If I unfairly characterized what you said, I apologize. With that said, there sure are an awful lot of white people walking around downtown Bangkok in suits and ties and wingtips who don't seem to be suffering from excessive scrutiny from the government. :whistling:

I agree with that, those guys most likely work for big international companies and have probably never seen the inside of an immigration office.

Just now, bbi1 said:

What a stupid ass fool. Serves that idiot well for being a total dumbass.

Honestly though, someone willing to marry for 5k probably doesn't have that many assets. She probably got 2.5k when they split :whistling:

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Everything wrong with racism. 

If someone called you “white skinned” blues punk would that be racist? Anyway racism doesn’t raise an eyebrow in LOS its a western liberal concept!!

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Yeah, right...

So are all the Nigerian gangs that send out emails to hapless western OAPs in their thousands to scam them of money and “let me put 10,000,000 dollars into your account” just poor innocent victims? Not all Nigerians are bad of course but a fair percentage of the scams in Thailand seem to come from that source and it isn’t racist to say that they have dark skin!!

Just now, bizboi said:

So are all the Nigerian gangs that send out emails to hapless western OAPs in their thousands to scam them of money and “let me put 10,000,000 dollars into your account” just poor innocent victims? Not all Nigerians are bad of course but a fair percentage of the scams in Thailand seem to come from that source and it isn’t racist to say that they have dark skin!!

Referring to colour in the manner this paper did is racist. 

7 hours ago, Thechook said:

It's quite common actually, one thai girl I know of paid an Aussie guy the equivalent of 5k to marry, she moved to Australia on permanent resident visa then when she left the guy took him for half his assets also.  It was quite a profitable scam.

5k what? Dollars or Baht. Temporary resident visa today costs AUD $6990 + $400 for medical + $police clearances +$translations etc. Expect around $8000 AUD. After 2 years you may be approved permanent resident visa. Within the 2 years temporary visa it can be cancelled if marriage break's down. Granted the cost use to be much cheaper say 10 years ago. Maybe this girl was smarter than this guy. We guys are too complacent and trusting. 

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

In my opinion, the translation of the Daily News article referring to them as a "nasty black skinned gang" is a very sloppy translation.  The headline subheader does refer to a "แก๊งผิวสีสุดแสบ" which should be translated as "a gang of colored (non white) culprits/troublemakers."  This translation is also more consistent with the main headline which reads "จับหนุ่มสีผิวปลอมวีซ่าเป็นโสด จ้างสาวจดทะเบียนหวังอยู่ยาว" (arrest of colored men for fake marriage visas - hired girls to marry (in order) to stay (in Thailand) for long time.)

The use of a term like "nasty", an extreme value judgement, is also inconsistent with good journalism, and I want to reemphasize that the Thai newspaper did not use this term. It was mistranslated by Webfact.

Furthermore, the translated description of the gang as "black skinned" is inaccurate, (not to mention highly inflammatory when coupled with a word like "nasty.) While seven members of the gang were Nigerian and had black skin, 2 others were Afghan (and cannot be accurately described as black), so again, the proper translation would be a "non-white or colored" gang rather than "black skinned" gang.

Ever think "colored" or "non-white" people in Thailand might find it a little audacious being described as either being white or not? 

6 hours ago, tonray said:

This kind of thing is very common, often run by Nigerian or East European gangs. It's likely the women are poor, rural girls from Issan who simply were offered 1000  baht (or less) to use their credentials and never knowing the real reason.

Clearly not married to a Thai woman. What you should be asking yourself is how much did they pay 'any' official at the amphur to register that marriage. 
And how much are they paying in support of that woman? Because she isn't elligble for marriage if she was so lucky to hit up a well off man.

6 hours ago, tonray said:

While I was in Malaysia I met a nice Vietnamese lady who flew to KL to meet her 'dream' man, a 40 something Brit with business, cars, etc, etc. She is very smart and was suspicious so she asked for my opinion after her first meeting. At that meeting she was met by an older Malay woman and man who claimed to be business associates of her 'date' and would drive her to his office. She then received a text from the 'man' asking if he could quickly borrow a few thousand pounds to finish a business deal he was currently embroiled in and said his associates would drive her to the bank. All sent with heart stickers and the like, "i'll make it up to you as soon as this big deal is done" and so forth.

She was smart enough (an IT prof in DaNang) to realize the danger and walked away. She saw me the next morning at the guesthouse we were staying in and asked my opinion (I was a long term guest and she saw that I had a nice relationship with the owner of the house so took a chance). As soon as she showed me the texts and the story I had to tell her it was all a scam. I told her to go to the police but again in Vietnamese culture she had been shamed and could never report even this.

#$%% scammers preying on people's misfortunes in life. Hang em all.

Are you sure she wasn't trying to scam you? I sounds to me she was preying on your sympathy in  the hope you would replace the few thousand baht.

These vietnamese are very cunning women.

7 hours ago, leeneeds said:

of course this does not happen anywhere else ,

green cards, Aussie visa , etc etc,

The going rate is AUD 20,000 rather than 200. Still people pay it....mostly to crooks of sub-continent heritage.

What do they actually charge these guys with ?

Where did they try to get the marriages registered if in Thailand ?

Someone in an office here in thailand was also on the make as when we married the process would not have allowed 

this kind of rubbish

4 hours ago, Raymonddiaz said:

I am married to a thai woman for 6 years now. It doesn't help me in getting a longer visa. i have a NON B. so marriage doesn't really helps for visa issues unless u have 400k in a bank for 3 months.

400k in the bank for at least 3 months and a proven income of 40k a month.

I can see this becoming more prevalent as a way to circumvent the visa rules especially from other countries citizens poorer than Thailand.Having said that,they will still need to show 400k in the bank in order not to do the monotonous visa run every 90 days.

I just hope this doesn't lead to an investigation into the genuine ones(like myself) who play by the book.Could do without all that aggravation.

I find the good guys in bad guys out policy fair enough.

26 minutes ago, Bastos60 said:

Clearly not married to a Thai woman. What you should be asking yourself is how much did they pay 'any' official at the amphur to register that marriage. 
And how much are they paying in support of that woman? Because she isn't elligble for marriage if she was so lucky to hit up a well off man.

Are you sure she wasn't trying to scam you? I sounds to me she was preying on your sympathy in  the hope you would replace the few thousand baht.

These vietnamese are very cunning women.

1) Huh ?

2) You are way out of line but that's par for the course here at Thai Visa.

5 minutes ago, phitsanulokjohn said:

I can see this becoming more prevalent as a way to circumvent the visa rules especially from other countries citizens poorer than Thailand.Having said that,they will still need to show 400k in the bank in order not to do the monotonous visa run every 90 days.

I just hope this doesn't lead to an investigation into the genuine ones(like myself) who play by the book.Could do without all that aggravation.

I find the good guys in bad guys out policy fair enough.

I know many people on retirement extensions who have nothing in the bank and surrender their passports once a year and get it done...we should not be no naive to believe that official misconduct is not also at play here in the money chain.

8 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Ah, so that's the secret how those African drug dealers, pimps and scammers use to stay in BKK for a long time.

The same "secret" used by the light skinned gang of pissheads, sexpats, conmen and geriatrics from Europe, North America and Australasia.

(But they seem compelled to throw in motorcycles, pick-ups and dream homes as a bonus payment.)

Edited by Enoon

1 hour ago, Machiavelli said:

Let's be honest. There are no white skinned people. Unless you are suffering from an extreme form of albinism and even then it's impossible to be white. Just injecting some science into this conversation. 

To add some more science, olives are green or black. No need for further definition for black, so  'olive skinned' people are green. Really?