Trump's son-in-law launches Middle East peace effort

webfact

Trump's son-in-law launches Middle East peace effort

By Luke Baker

tag-reuters-2.jpg

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas meets with White House senior advisor Jared Kushner in the West Bank City of Ramallah June 21, 2017. Thaer Ghanaim/PPO/Handout via REUTERS

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump's son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner, met Israeli and Palestinian leaders on Wednesday to try to revive long-fractured Middle East peacemaking that Washington acknowledged will take some time.

Kushner, a 36-year-old real estate developer with little experience of international diplomacy or political negotiation, arrived in Israel on Wednesday morning and was due to spend barely 20 hours on the ground.

Video showed him giving Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, a friend of Kushner's father, a handshake and a hug as they prepared to sit down with the Israeli ambassador to Washington, the U.S. ambassador to Israel and other senior officials for preliminary discussions.

"This is an opportunity to pursue our common goals of security, prosperity and peace," Netanyahu said. "Jared, I welcome you here in that spirit. I know of your efforts, the president's efforts, and I look forward to working with you to achieve these common goals."

Kushner replied: "The president sends his best regards and it's an honour to be here with you."

Kushner did not speak to the media or take questions, maintaining the circumspect profile he has established since Trump took office in January.

U.S. officials and Israeli leaders "underscored that forging peace will take time and stressed the importance of doing everything possible to create an environment conducive to peacemaking," the White House later said in a statement.

Kushner travelled to Ramallah, in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, for two hours of talks with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas after iftar, the evening meal that breaks the daily Ramadan fast.

Abbas spokesman Nabil Abu Rdainah said all major issues at the heart of the conflict were discussed.

U.S. officials called the trip part of an effort to keep the conversation going rather than the launching of a new phase in the peace process, saying that Kushner and Jason Greenblatt, the president's special representative for international negotiations, are likely to return often.

Trump has described peace between the Israelis and the Palestinians as "the ultimate deal" and made it a priority. As well as receiving both Netanyahu and Abbas in the White House, he visited the region last month.

But it remains unclear what approach Trump, via Kushner and Greenblatt, plans to take on resolving one of the world's most intractable conflicts.

For at least two decades, the goal of U.S.-led diplomacy has been a "two-state solution", meaning an independent Palestinian state living side-by-side and at peace with Israel.

But when Trump met Netanyahu in Washington in February, he said he was not fixed on two states saying, "I'm looking at two-state and one-state, and I like the one that both parties like".

12 'BULLET POINTS'

Netanyahu has in the past given conditional backing to two states. But ahead of his last election victory in 2015, he promised there would never be a Palestinian state on his watch, a remark seen as an attempt to shore up right-wing support.

In discussions with Greenblatt before Kushner's visit, Palestinian sources said the phrase "two-state solution" had not been used.

Palestinian sources said that ahead of Kushner's meeting with Abbas, they had been asked to draw up a list of 12 "bullet point" demands they would want met in any negotiations.

They saw it as a helpful exercise in focusing on core elements rather than an oversimplification of a complex issue.

Trump administration officials have said that if they are going to make progress on peace, they do not want to get bogged down in process but to move rapidly on tackling what are known as "final status" issues, the complexities around Jerusalem, Palestinian refugees, water resources, security and borders.

Those have long been thorny problems in the multiple rounds of peace negotiations launched by both Republican and Democratic presidents since the mid-1990s. It remains unclear what new approach Trump's administration may have to untangling disputes that blend politics, land, religion and ethnicity and have defied resolution for 70 years.

(Additional reporting by Jeffrey Heller and Ali Sawafta; Editing by Howard Goller)

reuters_logo.jpg
    -- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-22

How is that guy still allowed on the WH premises?  He couldn't pass a security clearance for a bowling alley attendant in Alexandria Virginia.  

Actually, in a way it's a good thing Trump is keeping him around, because it proves (for all but the most hoodwinked among us) what an dangerous dufus Trump and his cohorts are.   

Come on- Trump already said, that peace in the Middle East would be easier achieved, then most people think.

Then again, he said, that no one could have know that healthcare is that difficult...

:saai:

To all the skeptical and the nay Sayers out there, at least he's doing something, I don't see anyone else getting his hands dirty,

Many small minded people who are consumed with bigotry and petty jealousy are not comfortable seeing a well educated and accomplished Jewish guy up there with the big players of the world....

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Many small minded people who are consumed with bigotry and petty jealousy

are not comfortable seeing a well educated and accomplished Jewishguy up there with the big players of the world....

That is complete BS and it is YOU that has suddenly made this a race thing. Who mentioned about him being 'Jewish"? you are the bigot.

I see him as a real estate developer, I don't see his colour, religion or race. Based on the fact he is a real estate developer who is breaking under the strain of the loans he has taken out I see him as woefully under qualified to undertake the present tasks that his Father-in Law has bestowed upon him. SIMPLE! Clear now?

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Many small minded people who are consumed with bigotry and petty jealousy

are not comfortable seeing a well educated and accomplished Jewish guy up there with the big players of the world....

I wouldn't say being in the hole for $1.2 Billion is "accomplished". And $300 Million in personal debt.

Both of which he never disclosed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/03/nyregion/kushner-companies-666-fifth-avenue.html?mcubz=0

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/05/02/report-jared-kushner-didnt-disclose-1-billion-loans-investment-ties-goldman-sachs-george-soros/

Together with attending secret meetings with Russian officials and U.S. sanctioned russian bank representatives and Paul Manafort in his building he is in the hole for.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-idUSKBN16Y1H6

And who brought up the "Jewish guy"?

Only you.

Who is small minded? And "consumed"?

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

To all the skeptical and the nay Sayers out there, at least he's doing something, I don't see anyone else getting his hands dirty,

Many small mined people who are consumed with bigotry and petty jealousy are not comfortable seeing a well educated and accomplished Jewish guy up there with the big players of the world....

The various State departments of every past admin since 1950 have been 'doing something'. Jared is an incompetent boob who would be nowhere near a position of this stature if not for daddy in law. 

5 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

That is complete BS and it is YOU that has suddenly made this a race thing. Who mentioned about him being 'Jewish"? you are the bigot.

I see him as a real estate developer, I don't see his colour, religion or race. Based on the fact he is a real estate developer who is breaking under the strain of the loans he has taken out I see him as woefully under qualified to undertake the present tasks that his Father-in Law has bestowed upon him. SIMPLE! Clear now?

Of course you don't "see" his religion or race.

You are not an Arab Palestinian.

Is it really a good idea to send a Jew as "honest broker" between Jews and Arabs?

Maybe try one of these guys:

http://www.truetorahjews.org/mission

http://www.truetorahjews.org/we-want-coexist-peace-ttj-publishes-arabic-ad

So selling $120bn worth of weapons to the country that brought you the 9/11 bombers is part of a recipe for peace in the area?

They may as well have provides weapons for the Taleban and the Syrian rebels. Oh hang on, they did...

Perhaps I need to visit the dictionary to see if the definition of 'peace' has been Trumped.

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Many small mined people who are consumed with bigotry and petty jealousy  are not comfortable seeing a well educated and accomplished Jewish guy up there with the big players of the world....

Well, nobody asked any of us!  It has to do with experience.  I hope he does something.  If he can offer cash or gifts, anything will do.

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

Many small mined people who are consumed with bigotry and petty jealousy are not comfortable seeing a well educated and accomplished Jewish guy up there with the big players of the world....

You may be a small minded, lazy, jealous, uneducated bigot?  But, then I don't know you~just hunch from education and experience.

6 minutes ago, Redline said:

You may be a small minded, lazy, jealous, uneducated bigot?  But, then I don't know you~just hunch from education and experience.

No not a bigot...only one of the "Israel can do no wrong" crowd. 

Kushner spends less than a day on the ground and only two hours with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.  Not exactly a concerted and comprehensive trip. He could have done as much over video conferencing. The answer:

"It remains unclear what new approach Trump's administration may have to untangling disputes that blend politics, land, religion and ethnicity and have defied resolution for 70 years." 

Trump and Knusher have no idea what will bring about peace. Trump offers a nonproductive "whatever works" approach.

6 hours ago, Enoon said:

Of course you don't "see" his religion or race.

You are not an Arab Palestinian.

Is it really a good idea to send a Jew as "honest broker" between Jews and Arabs?

Maybe try one of these guys:

http://www.truetorahjews.org/mission

http://www.truetorahjews.org/we-want-coexist-peace-ttj-publishes-arabic-ad

Maybe not try one of those guys. 
    They are an extremist anti-Zionist group.

Why would you suggest True Torah Jews except as a bald face inflamatory tactic?

The USA government as does the state of Israel supports the right of Israel to exist as a nation state with a majority Jewish character.

True Torah Jews, which represent a TINY TINY percentage of global Jewry,  do not.

I agree Kushner is a poor choice and is in this role only based on nepotism and the U.S. ambassador has no qualifications either (in his case, a long associate of trump is all). 

Being a Jew is not a qualification to represent the USA in Israel and Palestine but it is not a disqualification either. 

The problem with trump's choices to represent the USA in Israel/Palestine is not that they are two Jews. It's the lack of credible qualifications that they bring to the table. 

Hey, if we're really going to have religious/ethnic tests for who the USA can send to Israel/Palestine how about find someone like this?

Jewish father (so no right of return)

Muslim mother 

Practicing Buddhist 

Edited by Jingthing

50 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Kushner spends less than a day on the ground and only two hours with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.  Not exactly a concerted and comprehensive trip. He could have done as much over video conferencing. The answer:

"It remains unclear what new approach Trump's administration may have to untangling disputes that blend politics, land, religion and ethnicity and have defied resolution for 70 years." 

Trump and Knusher have no idea what will bring about peace. Trump offers a nonproductive "whatever works" approach.

Like most such visits, the agenda and schedule are set in advance, and they are often preceded by other lower ranked figures conducting meetings. In this case, Greenblatt's visit started a day or two earlier, and included more face time with the Palestinian side. 

I think the "new approach" isn't really new, but rather capitalizes on Trump's perceived persona. It may be described as focused on two parallel tracks:

The first is aimed at getting as many concrete on-the-ground concessions and "trust building" measures as possible. This is aimed at having something to write home about, and on getting some doable things out of the way - perhaps fostering a better atmosphere between the sides. Most of the things falling under this track concern the Israeli side, as the things required of the Palestinians are less definite, or politically disastrous. Worth noting that a lot of said measures and steps are a re-hash of plans formulated under the Obama administration. Surprisingly or not, there are some things coming along on that front.

The second track seeks to clarify the core conditions/demands/wishes of sides, and by inference, their vision of final agreement. Nothing new there, but perhaps less leeway afforded when it comes to vague terms. I think that on this score, more pressure will be applied on the Palestinians. Not coercion, but making their position with regard to concessions better understood.

Both of the above rely on intimidation - Trump is unpredictable, short-tempered and vindictive. No one wants to risk getting on his bad side, so each side tries to avoid being the one saying "no" (within their respective political constraints). At the same time, the more hands-on representative (Greenblatt) seems to try and treat things with as little emotional and historical baggage as possible. So far as the first track is concerned, this may be a constructive approach - question is how it will fare once core issues come up.

There are many reasons not to be overly optimistic about where this is going. The sides are still as stubborn as ever, each with his own extreme elements. Trump's people aren't experienced in these sort of thing and the State Department seems neutered. Trump could lose interest or get into political trouble, which will remove the intimidation factor (the latter, sans intimidation, relevant to Kushner too, of course). One zealot or another could always derail things. And so on and so forth...

But on the other hand, so far no damage was done, and certain advancement is afoot (even if nothing major). Perhaps better than nothing, or if considering expectations and post-elections fears, not so bad.

13 hours ago, iReason said:

I wouldn't say being in the hole for $1.2 Billion is "accomplished". And $300 Million in personal debt.

Both of which he never disclosed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/03/nyregion/kushner-companies-666-fifth-avenue.html?mcubz=0

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/05/02/report-jared-kushner-didnt-disclose-1-billion-loans-investment-ties-goldman-sachs-george-soros/

Together with attending secret meetings with Russian officials and U.S. sanctioned russian bank representatives and Paul Manafort in his building he is in the hole for.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-idUSKBN16Y1H6

And who brought up the "Jewish guy"?

Only you.

Who is small minded? And "consumed"?

Now give the 'poor' kid a break, after all he's the son of a convict.  Of course before going to prison his rich daddy bought him admission to Harvard.  That's where this myth that Jared Kushner is  well-educated comes from.   https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/11/19/trumps-influential-son-in-law-went-to-harvard-is-this-how-jared-kushner-got-in/?utm_term=.4ff4bfef871a 

Maybe daddy or daddy-in-law can buy him peace in the Mideast.  He's certainly not going to achieve it through brains or experience.

On 6/22/2017 at 9:17 AM, Andaman Al said:

So peace in the Middle East now rests on a Real Estate Developer. Kushner never talks to the press - for obvious reasons. God only knows what he says to Heads of State.

We, the ignorant masses, were blessed with hearing his voice the other day.  He sounds like a kid.

On 6/22/2017 at 10:45 AM, ezzra said:

To all the skeptical and the nay Sayers out there, at least he's doing something, I don't see anyone else getting his hands dirty, Many small minded people who are consumed with bigotry and petty jealousy are not comfortable seeing a well educated and accomplished Jewish guy up there with the big players of the world....

Ezzra opines, "At least he's doing something."

Boomer responds:  Doing what, pray tell?   I've planted an average of a tree per day for the past 20 years.  Kushner, meanwhile, got himself 1 billion dollars in debt and tried making clandestine deals with the Russians to bypass US intelligent services - in order to use Russian embassy computers to communicate directly with a sanctioned Russian bank owner who is bosom buddies with Putin. 

On 6/22/2017 at 4:21 PM, Minnie the Minx said:

Playing the field he be. What's wrong with getting his toes wet? There's a bigger picture here, just not available to us.

Yea, the bigger picture is Trump and Kushner are playing footsie with hard-core Russian mafia - in order to amass ever-more money.  No, I can't yet prove it, but the Special Counsel and a bunch of others are looking into it.    Oh, and cementing 50 billion dollar deals to sell weapons to the guys who knew ahead-of-time about the bombing of the Twin Towers and the Pentagon.   Many of those weapons will find their way to the hard-core bad guys.   It's happened every time prior, when the Uncle Sam has sold weapons to Middle Easterners.  Why break precedent?

On June 22, 2017 at 5:00 AM, Redline said:

Well, nobody asked any of us!  It has to do with experience.  I hope he does something.  If he can offer cash or gifts, anything will do.

Trump will offer threats. It's his way of doing business. They won't be against the Israelis. The Palistenians won't be cowered after all these decades. It could very well bring on the types of violent acts against Americans that were common against Israelis a few decades back. What's upsetting to me is I'm often mistaken for a Yank. 

On 6/23/2017 at 0:34 AM, Morch said:

so far no damage was done

It's sad that's the best Americans can hope for from Trump and family.

It is for that reason that Trump's short attention span works to the nation's advantage.

Edited by Srikcir
    grammar

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

It's sad that's the best Americans can hope for from Trump and family.

It is for that reason that Trump's short attention span works to the nation's advantage.

On topic, it is not the case that previous administrations were uniformly successful in promoting ME peace. Expectations and hopes on this front were never (I think) particularly on the high side. So yes, there's something to be said for not  making things worse, especially if one recalls earlier predictions aired by posters.

9 hours ago, pegman said:

Trump will offer threats. It's his way of doing business. They won't be against the Israelis. The Palistenians won't be cowered after all these decades. It could very well bring on the types of violent acts against Americans that were common against Israelis a few decades back. What's upsetting to me is I'm often mistaken for a Yank. 

There is American leverage applied on both sides. So far, with better results when it comes to Israeli concessions. As for statements like "the Palestinian won't be cowered", sounds more like a wishful opinion rather than an informed point of view. The "logic" of the above is similarly lacking - if Palestinians would not comply with supposed US pressure, then there would be no specific reason for aggression against Americans. It is also interesting how this started with Trump threats, but ends in threats of Palestinian violence.

4 minutes ago, Morch said:

There is American leverage applied on both sides. So far, with better results when it comes to Israeli concessions. As for statements like "the Palestinian won't be cowered", sounds more like a wishful opinion rather than an informed point of view. The "logic" of the above is similarly lacking - if Palestinians would not comply with supposed US pressure, then there would be no specific reason for aggression against Americans. It is also interesting how this started with Trump threats, but ends in threats of Palestinian violence.

400,000 illegal West Bank settlers. Great results! 

3 minutes ago, pegman said:

400,000 illegal West Bank settlers. Great results! 

Yeah, posting talking points is indeed great.

No one suggested things would be resolved following a few meetings, of even a few months into any administration's term. No one even suggested that there are "great" results, only that there are some.

Edited by Morch