Patong - The Wake

Patong2

Going slightly off track here at the moment, however I have it on good authority from a lady who is friends with girls who work in a couple of very large bars in Bangla, that although the bar owners do test their staff for Covid, if they find that a particularly good worker (i.e. brings in the money) has Covid, then they ask them to wear a mask and don't report it.

Quite alarming if it is true, but then nothing surprises me here.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, poskat said:

Any good italian or steak places open now?

The Kitchen on Rat-U-Thit road has been open since at least October, and is worth trying in my opinion (based on just one meal there, I had their Chicken Milanese, but noticed that they had a number of steak offerings sourced from Australia and Argentina). 

• Like 2

I'm glad to hear that the bars in Bangla (and Nanai) had a good night - Kamala's were dead! I had a meal in a busy restaurant and then headed to one of the major bars at about 9:30 and there were a total of 8 customers and the staff were beside themselves with boredom - and a lack of ladydrinks. The bar is on the main drag and I could see a steady stream of traffic heading toward Patong.

At 11:30 (leaving just one paying customer in the bar) I headed off to my favourite viewing spot at the end of Kalim beach where I am always the only farang surrounded by hordes of partying/picnicing young Thais. The fireworks along Patong beach were enjoyable but on nothing like the same scale as previous years - I would guess that the big corporate spenders simply don't have the cash to squander on lavish pyrotechnics and so the displays this year were provided by smaller businesses and private individuals.

At about 00:20 I headed back to Kamala for a couple more beers and all of the bars were still open but about as busy as they would be on a Monday night.

Not my most memorable NYE.

• Like 2

Does anyone know what is going on with the bars in Patong? As I reported elsewhere, Bangla was 99% closed last night at 9:30pm (the 1% was a few tiny shop bars with their shutters down) and it was the same when I rode along the central section of Nanai.

We can all guess - Omicron mania, authorities finally stamping down on bending of alcohol rules - but does anyone here actually know the answer?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

Does anyone know what is going on with the bars in Patong? As I reported elsewhere, Bangla was 99% closed last night at 9:30pm (the 1% was a few tiny shop bars with their shutters down) and it was the same when I rode along the central section of Nanai.

We can all guess - Omicron mania, authorities finally stamping down on bending of alcohol rules - but does anyone here actually know the answer?

No real answer for you LLF, although a friend who went out to Bangla a couple of nights ago said that although there were a few people around, there was a dearth of girls, in the bars, or walking around?

Rumours that there are more than a few cases of Covid around seem to have had an effect, although today when I went past the top of Bangla (the end furthest away from the beach) the small bars on the corner were belting out music, with one Farang sitting there with his beer!

Two friends of mine have contracted Covid, quite possibly from their excursion to Bangla a week ago, but with mild symptoms, and are self isolating at this moment in time, taking regular tests to see how they are progressing.

I will give it a miss for a while to see how things pan out.

• Like 1

I'll go for a look a bit later - earlier than usual so that I've got plenty of time to get back to Kamala if it's still looking closed. I'm an alcoholic (but NEVER before sunset) and I need my beers ????......

The thing that really surprised me last night was that the bike and car parking (on Beach Road) was just as packed as always and the Tuk-Tuks were all lined up as normal, so where was everyone. A few of the (hotel?) bars on Beach Road seemed to be operating, but there aren't that many of those.

The beach end checkpoint was operating as normal and there were plenty of people milling around - it was only after you'd done the temperature check that you realised that something was seriously wrong......

• Sad 1

Clearly an alcohol ban in force - a few bars open, including Red Hot with the band playing very quietly, but no visible booze and a lot of police on patrol.

I have it a miss and am now back in Kamala and the ban has now reached here - luckily my usual place has an arrangement and it is quite busy with people openly drinking - but they have pulled all of the plastic drapes down and there is no music playing.

Edited by London Lowf
To make it better
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, geisha said:

I loved Patong.First arrived in 84. Beautiful beach and lovely people. I miss the Number 4 restaurant Soi Bangla, later , but I miss it Molly Maloney and their fabulous Manila girls singers and band. Also , on beach road the big outside restaurant/ hotel, band playing every night .The Sweet restaurant on Soi Patong Tower. Great food and so cheap. Lovely staff. Junk Ceylon when it opened, great for shopping.   the tsunami , I was there in my condo Phuket Palace on the balcony looking out towards the sea. There were no buildings in front at all then, just trees. Great pool, easy to walk to town, and after seeing the water creeping up towards us and our pool, people in bathers running, I went down with my neighbor to take a look! Devastation! Roads up in the air, the bus in the sea, cars all turned over, electric wires hanging everywhere. Well, we all know that time don’t we. I still think about it often. Lived also in Kata, near the beach. Lovely place and I’m going back next week !! I moved away because there were not enough condos and eventually, too many tourists. Then came Hua Hin, well. Then Jomtien super condo penthouse for cheaper than a small place down south. But I’ve always missed Kata, Patong, and all my friends who mostly, are still there.

Maybe if you go back now to Patong it will be similar to 1984.

6 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Maybe if you go back now to Patong it will be similar to 1984.

More so now that there is a 9pm alcohol curfew and people are apparently cancelling their planned visits for the rest of this season.

If I was not here already then there is no way that I would consider Thailand for a holiday. Two weeks with the wife and kids? You must be joking!

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It feels odd to be back at home and writing this so early in the evening - when I first came to Phuket I would only now be showering and getting ready to go out for the evening!

After the initial shock of the 9pm alcohol curfew, all of the bars on Bangla are now up and running and openly selling booze, although without any live or loud music - why???? It was reasonably busy, but nothing compared with Xmas/New Year.

Edited by London Lowf

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

It feels odd to be back at home and writing this so early in the evening - when I first came to Phuket I would only now be showering and getting ready to go out for the evening!

After the initial shock of the 9pm alcohol curfew, all of the bars on Bangla are now up and running and openly selling booze, although without any live or loud music - why???? It was reasonably busy, but nothing compared with Xmas/New Year.

Good Question!  any youtube videos about this?

10 hours ago, London Lowf said:

although without any live or loud music - why???

Possibly because the BIB found quite a few Covid cases amongst some of the bar staff tested in Bangla about a week ago AND the music bars are potential "super spreader" venues........most of the folks in these places are drinking so don't wear masks.

Two friends of mine contracted Covid on or around the New Years Eve celebrations and think they have narrowed it down to three possible venues.

15 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

Most of the folk in any bar on Bangla are drinking and maskless, whether there's loud/live music or not - I'm not arguing with you Xylo, just exasperated at Thai logic.

For example, last light I got a good spot at Black Horse and so stayed there for over an hour. Bar Funk opposite was just as busy as any other night with the young dance crowd and ladyboy freelancers/posers but the DJ had the music low enough that it wasn't an annoyance at my location. Good news if you want to hold a conversation!

I understand where you're coming from LLF, however I will say that in all of the dance/music bars I've ever visited, there has been no chance whatsoever of what is called "social distancing", and that surely should apply to Bar Funk??

And as regards Thai logic, well it is what it is, illogical!

I thought you said that you had given up on the Black Horse bar because of the girl hassles??

Your point about "holding a conversation" is something that the bar owners here haven't cottoned on to yet – – that many farangs like to go to a bar for a drink and a chat/conversation, and of course to ogle the females, and I and a few friends have moved on from a couple of favourite bars because it's impossible to hold a conversation whilst the glasses are rattling on the counter because of the loud music and bass.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, xylophone said:

I thought you said that you had given up on the Black Horse bar because of the girl hassles??

The only bar that I have seriously fallen out with is the sister bar Blue Lotus over the road and I have not visited there for a long time - my problem was with one of the permanent uniformed staff who started to demand a drink every time I set foot in the place and then became rude and aggressive when she saw me in a bar opposite.

The girls/touts that hang around in front of the bars chop and change so frequently that I don't recognise them from one week to the next, and they do generally leave me alone these days.

34 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

Things are getting a little desperate on Bangla.

Tourist numbers have dropped significantly now, particularly the two-week millionaire types, and last night even the immensely popular Kangaroo Bar had plenty of street-front tables with no customers.

I went to an almost empty bar further along but was pestered for ladydrinks and so left after two beers and moved elsewhere but got the same hustle. I am not as generous as the casual bar touts would like - I am a very regular drinker and always tip up to B100/beer so that's 25% at some bars, but I am more selective about my larger "sponsorships".

At the 9pm curfew I headed for a meal at the food soi (where beers are still openly sold and consumed) and at about 9:45 headed back to Beach Road to get my bike - during the 9pm police sweep the larger bars do shut shop quite promptly, most noticeably the high-profile Bar Funk and Sea Dragon Bar, but others don't seem to take much notice at all. Quite a few of the smaller bars were obviously serving alcohol on paper cups like back in October, but some weren't even bothering with that pretense!

The whole thing is laughable.

Yes, a friend of mine was out on Friday and Saturday and said that things were very quiet.

I think it's probably a case of the "perfect storm" with tourist numbers being low anyway, and then the hassle of the changing rules and regulations, and of course omicron reaching Thailand, sending out "warning signals".

You may recall that over almost a couple of weeks ago, there were rumours about Covid being rampant in Bangla, although the authorities hushed it up, however I have it on extremely good authority that one usually very busy bar had more than 10 girls who tested positive, and there had to have been more around the place, so that would have scared some of the Thai folk away, and maybe some of those rumours have gotten back to the farangs?

Certainly quite a few of the Suzy Wong girls have left, albeit replaced by a few that are not as pretty as the previous ones, so perhaps these are either not as afraid of Covid as some of the other girls are (and I know a few who are just about terrified of it) or are desperate for a job.

Another thing I've noticed here is that there are quite a few Russians about and many of those I've seen have been here with their family, so may not be what could be deemed "Bangla regulars"?

Whatever the reason and I still believe they are manyfold, Patong is going to continue to suffer for many months, if not years, to come, and I wish good luck to the brave souls who have decided to open a business/their businesses here.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

I don't get along Nanai Rd these days so I was surprised/pleased to see the Offshore Bar resurrected next door to Ting Tongs bar, I wish them well. That little area of Nanai seems have developed to a bar area. 

Yes it has developed into a little bar area now you come to mention it LiK, and the Offshore Bar seems to be doing quite well, and I've even noticed some punters sitting on the bar stools at 10:15 in the morning!

I wouldn't imagine that the owner of Ting Tong bar is very happy with it opening up right next to him, but then again as you say, there are a couple of bars directly opposite, and three more just round the corner so the regular bar monger is spoilt for choice!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

Certainly quite a few of the Suzy Wong girls have left, albeit replaced by a few that are not as pretty as the previous ones,

This is part of what galls me about the current girls hustling for ladydrinks all along Bangla - 95% of the current crop are not remotely tempting.

It used to be the case that the eye candy in Patong was far superior to my base town of Kamala, but now there's nothing to choose between the two.

• Haha 1