Patong - The Wake

Patong2

Beaches, yes. Weather, yes. Food, okay a couple of times a week. Temples, no- I'm neither Buddhist nor a culture vulture.

Girls, yes - if I'm honest it's the icing on the cake for me, but it entails many hours of online research and false starts. However, I found my first ever "10" back in November but mysterious problems at home and today she skedaddled back to Roi Et for the third time in three weeks. Damn!

Edited by London Lowf
  • Haha 2

This is getting ridiculous - Bangla must be the only place on Phuket where you can not openly get a drink after 9pm!!!!!!

It's common knowledge (I believe) that from Monday 24th the hours will be extended to 11pm and you would expect, in true Thai style, an anticipation of this relaxation. Oh no! Not on Bangla. The usual 9pm armada of traffic cops with nothing better to do put paid to that.

I rode back to Kamala and quite a few bars were still open, and not disguising the fact. I had a couple in my "local" and left at 10:30pm and they still hadn't pulled the blinds down.

Kamala - the new Patong!

8 hours ago, London Lowf said:

This is getting ridiculous - Bangla must be the only place on Phuket where you can not openly get a drink after 9pm!!!!!!

Kamala - the new Patong!

you will never ever see a go go in Kamala

10 hours ago, London Lowf said:

It's common knowledge (I believe) that from Monday 24th the hours will be extended to 11pm and you would expect, in true Thai style, an anticipation of this relaxation. Oh no! Not on Bangla. The usual 9pm armada of traffic cops with nothing better to do put paid to that.

I rode back to Kamala and quite a few bars were still open, and not disguising the fact. I had a couple in my "local" and left at 10:30pm and they still hadn't pulled the blinds down.

Kamala - the new Patong!

Well old chap, you should know by now that things here don't always operate the way one thinks they should, or should I say with any semblance of normality or rationality.

Your post puts me in mind of a line in a song by Bruce Hornsby and the Range – – "That's just the way it is........... ".

I have long learnt to live with this, even though I still occasionally grumble about things which would seem to be easily fixed/remedied, but aren't – – that's just the way it is!

It's odd, but these types of bureaucratic failings back home in the UK really grind my gears because they really should know better there.

Here, I just consider that the country is run by children, particularly at a local level, and I find that helps me to accept it and not get too wound up! I find that a few beers also helps........

• Like 1

Slightly off-topic, but related.

This thread shows the ups and downs of Patong in general and Soi Bangla specifically. This is a good indicator of the rough state of tourism in Phuket.

I have been looking at another "indicator" and it doesn't paint as rosy a picture as Patong.

Looking at all the peripheral businesses that have closed. The premises now have for rent signs on them. These closed businesses vary from 711s to small fabrication workshops. Clothe shops to car washes and restaurants.

These businesses are almost exclusively run by Thais and more of them are closing every month. Another high season failure with another long low season ahead. It's hard to see these businesses ever re-opening. Very sad.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, schlog said:

Heard Jungcylon will open 5th next month. Would be a good step back to old normal.Someone can confirm that rumor?

....and then someone will test positive and they'll close it for three days!

Thursday night the entire food soi off Bangla was closed - I assume for that reason . No problem, I got my late-night grub just around the corner in RuT but what is the point of these silly closures - and why doesn't it apply to Big C's and Sevens?

But a little more seriously - I really don't understand why JungCeylon would open just as the season is winding down? I've been in Big C a few times lately and it's always dead.

Edited by London Lowf

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

I can't confirm that Schlog, but I heard the same rumour from someone who used to work for Wine Connection, and they said that along with Jungceylon opening, Wine Connection would also be back, which would be nice.

Miss JC, hope it will really open again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, London Lowf said:

I'm writing this from the Blue Beach and, apart from myself, there is one local/SEA couple having a meal. The ladyboys at the end of the alley were very disappointed as they thought I was a customer for them!

As Xylophone said,  this place has had a lot of money spent on it - the furniture is mainly solid wood, the decking is all brand new, the kitchen is large, modern and well equipped and the place is huge and in a fantastic location on the beach.

But, the season is over and, although Xylophone is always positive regarding these new ventures, I just do not understand the business plan. How is anyone apart from Black Horse/Blue Lotus customers and readers on here even going to know this place exists?

Looking around, this place is going to rot during the wet season and needs lot of maintenance - I wish them luck, bit I'm glad it's not my money.

One more and then I'm wandering over the road to Bangla...

Had a look on my morning run. They invest serious money. Wish them luck which they will need.

At the same location was mid 90' the famous Bavarian Beergarden. Best beer with good food. Best beergarden in these days. But they failed. In high season it was booming and the place was too small. In low season death. For expat and thai guests this location is difficult...'too' far from bangla and no direct car parking.

Anyway will give them a try and check out the food.

• Like 2

What about sending a staff member down with a discount voucher for a drink or what have you to all those poor souls waiting at immigration?

Especially just before lunch when the hour break is announced. Most need to hang around till reopening and would probably appreciate a nice calm venue with good food before going back down to the queue.

And that is one of their target markets too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Patong2 said:

What about sending a staff member down with a discount voucher for a drink or what have you to all those poor souls waiting at immigration?

Especially just before lunch when the hour break is announced. Most need to hang around till reopening and would probably appreciate a nice calm venue with good food before going back down to the queue.

And that is one of their target markets too.

Good idea, but unfortunately Patong IO is deserted since they stopped issuing extensions there (now exclusively in Phuket Town IO). Last couple of times I was there for 90 days report, it was mostly empty with 1-2 foreigners inside.

3 minutes ago, sallecc said:

Good idea, but unfortunately Patong IO is deserted since they stopped issuing extensions there (now exclusively in Phuket Town IO). Last couple of times I was there for 90 days report, it was mostly empty with 1-2 foreigners inside.

Great place for 90 day report for me is Bluetree in Cherng Talay, never busy and good parking.

59 minutes ago, sallecc said:

Oh, didn't know that, mainly because I was there exactly 2 weeks ago to do my 90 day report and the queue was from the front entrance, round the side and past the Motorbike Parking almost to the beach??

I did ask and they were queueing for extensions, and I think I was only one of two guys getting my 90 day report in amongst the mass!!

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

Oh, didn't know that, mainly because I was there exactly 2 weeks ago to do my 90 day report and the queue was from the front entrance, round the side and past the Motorbike Parking almost to the beach??

I did ask and they were queueing for extensions, and I think I was only one of two guys getting my 90 day report in amongst the mass!!

the 90 day online was working to me a couple of week ago

• Like 1

This post is not about Patong per se, but it is related – – – and the connection is to do with the Wine Connection in Jungceylon, which is rumoured to be opening soon (hopefully).

I was in Central Phuket 3 days ago and the Wine Connection there was advertising a new menu on the electronic signboard outside of the restaurant, and the new menu looked fantastic, and included escargot cooked in their shells with garlic butter, a white bean stew with pork from south-west France and many other new dishes, and at very reasonable prices, and the restaurant was the busiest I have seen it for a long time, so if Wine Connection opens up in Patong, I will be scooting along to try the new dishes as soon as I am able/allowed!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

This post is not about Patong per se, but it is related – – – and the connection is to do with the Wine Connection in Jungceylon, which is rumoured to be opening soon (hopefully).

I was in Central Phuket 3 days ago and the Wine Connection there was advertising a new menu on the electronic signboard outside of the restaurant, and the new menu looked fantastic, and included escargot cooked in their shells with garlic butter, a white bean stew with pork from south-west France and many other new dishes, and at very reasonable prices, and the restaurant was the busiest I have seen it for a long time, so if Wine Connection opens up in Patong, I will be scooting along to try the new dishes as soon as I am able/allowed!

How about the one on the beach road, or has that whole plaza been shuttered?

On 11/11/2021 at 3:31 PM, xylophone said:

More shops are opening up, and as regards eateries, the same goes, and one particular brand-new eatery (opened today) seems to be very lively indeed.

It's in the area that used to house either a Family Mart or a 7-Eleven......can't remember which one as there was one of each either side of Soi Banzaan where it meets Nanai Road, and if first impressions are anything to go by, it looks like it will be a huge success.

It is called, "Ned's bar and restaurant" and has a pretty extensive menu of Thai food with the occasional farang burger/steak meal on the menu, and none of it seems expensive.

I spied a couple of girls I know who were eating there and they beckoned me in, so I popped in to have a look around really, and it does have a bar set up although the restaurant occupies the majority of the space, so it will be interesting to see how it progresses.

The girls were busily tucking into their bowl of brown slop with chili and glass noodles and it and it looked appetising enough to be able to feed it to a dog or to tip it down the drain, but it seems that the girls

A bit of an old post from Xylo, but I had reason to be in that area earlier this evening on one of my increasingly foolish errands.

These days, trying to find a decent pad Thai (sorry - I don't do real Thai food) in Patong after 11pm is a bit of a challenge - particularly as the food soi on Bangla has been shuttered for over a week now.

Anyway, I ended up here after the bars closed and a chicken pad Thai and San Miguel for B149 is pretty impressive - I didn't think the food was great, but 80% of the punters were Thai females, many of them in silk pajamas (!!!), so what do I know? According to the wall posters, they are open 24/7, so I think I might become a regular customer.

PS: It was the Family Mart - the Seven was on the opposite corner.

Edited by London Lowf
  • Like 2