What is the point of 'security' in Thailand?

Bangkok Barry

Thailand must be a terrorist's wet dream, as most security that is provided seems to me to be absolutely pointless. Case in point, the MRT 'security' in Bangkok, who if they take any notice of you at all might occasionally shine a torch at your closed bag. Or the toothless BTS staff. I entered one station through the ticket gate behind three or four Thais who had backpacks, and they were ignored. I followed with a briefcase and was motioned to stop for a search and, in a hurry and irritated by being 'racially profiled' I ignored him and nothing happened. I was just allowed to go on my way as I suspected I would be. I have watched at Siam Paragon as people go through the exit and therefore avoid the scanners at the entrance, and nothing happens. No-one takes any notice, no-one cares.

I was at Don Mueang airport for a domestic flight and saw a backpack left on a chair. No-one near it. I went to a desk by the walkway to the plane and brought it to the attention of the girl there, who asked me what she should do! I suggested contacting security, She called and no-one answered the phone. Brilliant! I then offered to show her where the bag was, and she walked slightly ahead of me and right past it. It didn't even register. As we then went to the bag a passenger arrived and collected it. Back to her desk, and I noticed a suitcase right by the airbridge door and pointed it out. "Oh, that belongs to the crew", she said. So even the Thai crew leave bags unattended. It's like dealing with children who don't have the slightest idea of the world.

Then those who have read the TV forums and other sites will be familiar with 'security' guards allowing total strangers into someone's apartment following a bit of persuasion that they know the tenant, perhaps assisted by a red banknote or two. And with such lax security, how long will it be before a terrorist drives a large van into. for example, the car park in Patpong where no security at all is in place, and detonates a bomb in the middle of a world famous red light district. Surely a prime target for religious fanatics seeking international headlines.

Is it that Thais are (supposedly) averse to confrontation, despite there being daily reports that show the very opposite? And if so, why spend money employing these people who are totally incompetent.

Given the choice of mingling with machine gun toting guards, long lines (and no computers on flights) vs Thai security, I'll take my chances.  Because I agree with Ben Franklin.

We have no clue how effective their method is because we never read about the attacks that didn't take place because the bad guys figured they'd get stopped.  (Unless, of course, our governments want to prove they're on the ball and that they really do need to listen in on everything we do, and to toss whistleblowers in the hoosegow in the guise of keeping us safe- then we hear all about all the attacks that people even thought about)

Edited by impulse

I fly quite a lot for my job.

Four years ago I had a hip replacement done on my right side which makes going through airport security a pain as I set off the walk through scanner and then need a secondary pat down, remove shoes, etc. Telling them about the hip replacement and offering to show my  hospital card is ignored.

When going through Udon Thani airport scanner, nothing, not a peep ever since I've gotten the replacement and I've been through that scanner at least twenty plus times.

I don't think its even turned on.

But you can't complain, that there isn't enough security guards in this country. Every car park, every everything has a guy in uniform (usuallly over 60 years old) whos's in charge. Never saw so many security guys in any other country.

In our village we have ATM which is guarded 24/7 by a guy in a uniform! Sitting there day/night guarding ATM.... . :blink:

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

four Thais who had backpacks, and they were ignored. I followed with a briefcase and was motioned to stop for a search and, in a hurry and irritated by being 'racially profiled' I ignored him and nothing happened. I was just allowed to go on my way as I suspected I would be.

If Batman had been there you would of been in trouble. :laugh:

5 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

When going through Udon Thani airport scanner, nothing, not a peep ever since I've gotten the replacement and I've been through that scanner at least twenty plus times.

That Udon Thani scanner, it knows you already long time :thumbsup:

8 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

I fly quite a lot for my job.

Four years ago I had a hip replacement done on my right side which makes going through airport security a pain as I set off the walk through scanner and then need a secondary pat down, remove shoes, etc. Telling them about the hip replacement and offering to show my  hospital card is ignored.

I have cervical and lumbar fusions. The rods and pins are all titanium so they do not set off metal detectors. In 7 years I was never checked. 

Now recently in another similar post I commented about MRT not checking, and since then I notice they check bags more often. Maybe someone pays attention. 

My Back x-rays no name.jpg

Another Security Breach.

Today I went to Siam TV, Chiang Mai, to pay for 2 months of internet using my Visa card. Sales clerk wrote my credit card number on the back of his copy of the receipt, with my signature on the front! When I questioned him he said it was standard procedure and then showed me a book where all the day's credit card numbers were recorded. This is to show the interned provider that money was collected. 

OMG!! Siam TV has your credit card number AND signature. Now, why would that be a problem in a country with no security? 

7 minutes ago, Rockhopper said:

Another Security Breach.

Today I went to Siam TV, Chiang Mai, to pay for 2 months of internet using my Visa card. Sales clerk wrote my credit card number on the back of his copy of the receipt, with my signature on the front! When I questioned him he said it was standard procedure and then showed me a book where all the day's credit card numbers were recorded. This is to show the interned provider that money was collected. 

OMG!! Siam TV has your credit card number AND signature. Now, why would that be a problem in a country with no security? 

A few years ago I had a "farang fit" about this practice at Siam TV, Chiang Mai, after I politely asked them to stop writing my CC number on the back of the receipt in my flawless Thai and they ignored me.  Last time we've made a major purchase there.   Power Buy and other stores in Chiang Mai don't engage in this practice.  At least I'm using a U.S.-issued credit card where I have some ability to challenge a purchase as being fraudulent.

39 minutes ago, nasanews said:

Terrorists seem to prefer their forays against white people especially europeans in their home countries.

I believe that the number of people that have been killed in Thailand's south by Muslim separatists (another word for terrorists) is approaching 7000. Far, far in excess of the number killed on 9/11, but it's in Thailand so no-one cares. It can only be a matter of time before they up their game and take their war to Bangkok in an effort to achieve their aims. I can't see any way that Bangkok is ready for that. There is no security awareness at all. Only pretense, show with no substance. Nothing new about that in Thailand..

5 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I believe that the number of people that have been killed in Thailand's south by Muslim separatists (another word for terrorists) is approaching 7000. Far, far in excess of the number killed on 9/11, but it's in Thailand so no-one cares. It can only be a matter of time before they up their game and take their war to Bangkok in an effort to achieve their aims. I can't see any way that Bangkok is ready for that. There is no security awareness at all. Only pretense, show with no substance. Nothing new about that in Thailand..

If you read a bit into the unrest in the south, you will come to the understanding that it is not really about separatism but about creating a state of permanent chaos in which the smuggling of goods between Thailand and Malaysia can flourish. All quarreling parties reap the benefit from that. The moment that Muslim terrorists initiate an attack in Bangkok is the moment a border wall will be built, and a massive army force will put an end to it all. 

All the security at airports, malls and other public places is just to ease (mostly American) people's fear. If a terrorist wants to attack, there are still many high profile targets vulnerable. Just drive a bomb van onto a car ferry for instance. 

Don't worry, Thailand has some very efficient bomb-detectors, just as efficient a pair of cut wire-hangers used as divining rods, which actually can be very efficient for a lot in the right pair of hands...

220px-Allemanswiro.jpg

Pressure mounts on Thai junta over fake bomb detectors (The National, June 27th, 2016)

&NCS_modified=20160627143417&MaxW=640&im

A Thai soldier using a GT200 detector as he patrols the streets of Yala, in Thailand's restive south on March 2, 2010. Activists on June 27, 2016 urged Britain to hand over details of the multimillion-dollar sale to Thailand of fake bomb detectors that led to the detention of scores of innocent people. AFP

GT200 (Wikipedia)

Speaking of useless, what about the guys in uniforms who are paid to blow a whistle every time anyone puts his car in reverse? There's supposed to be some meaning to the patterns of tweets, but how does anyone know? And then they stand directly behind you, sometimes between the car and a hard wall. Thanks, but I can park my car without the whistle screeching.

10 hours ago, howard ashoul said:

But you can't complain, that there isn't enough security guards in this country. Every car park, every everything has a guy in uniform (usuallly over 60 years old) whos's in charge. Never saw so many security guys in any other country.

Is their age something about respect? Thais have to respect elder men or something?

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

Security?

If in Pattaya, go to Central Festival,  go through their security scanner?  Be careful, it's coming and it won't be from the Muslim?

I wish they would turn that damn thing off. I don't want to walk through a metal detector for no reason which will magnetize my mechanical watch. I just walk through the exit instead and nothing happens.

At central festival they have a guard at one entrance checking bags. Then all the other entrances are unguarded. What is the point of that? It's just stupid 

I think the point of having security, is that it gives jobs to people. A bit like when you visit HomePro and they have one employee for each product sold.

Most security guards I have seen are good at opening doors or just hang around watching their phone. Well, at least they got a job.

3 hours ago, JohnJay said:

I wish they would turn that damn thing off. I don't want to walk through a metal detector for no reason which will magnetize my mechanical watch. I just walk through the exit instead and nothing happens.

At central festival they have a guard at one entrance checking bags. Then all the other entrances are unguarded. What is the point of that? It's just stupid 

Basically what I was pointing out, if anyone been there would have known the answer.

10 hours ago, nasanews said:

Terrorists seem to prefer their forays against white people especially europeans in their home countries.

Read the list of attacks/victims by country to see how very, very wrong you and so many, many other ignorant people are.  There has been little change in the relative numbers since this list was compiled in 2015. More attacks/deaths in Pakistan alone than in the whole of Europe.

Number of terrorist incidents by country - Wikipedia

Words cannot express the magnitude of my contempt for such unforgivable ignorance and stupidity.

4 hours ago, Enoon said:

Read the list of attacks/victims by country to see how very, very wrong you and so many, many other ignorant people are.  There has been little change in the relative numbers since this list was compiled in 2015. More attacks/deaths in Pakistan alone than in the whole of Europe.

Number of terrorist incidents by country - Wikipedia

Words cannot express the magnitude of my contempt for such unforgivable ignorance and stupidity.

:cheesy:

What is the point of 'security' in Thailand?

For those in car parks: WHISTLE BLOWING.

For those in BIG C motorcycle parks in Pattaya: NOT to hand you a parking card. They have none.

For those outside banks: Open the door.

17 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

But why can't they do the job properly? Or at all?

so you want to be stopped and frisked everywhere?

no, you don't.

you want to be RIGHT.

I know the feeling and reaction ... I do as well. 

well, you know what happens when you are right all the time?

you get to be alone.

I would rather be happy. so I let the people do stupid things and say things like ... he is just trying to make a living and put food on the table and this is what he knows to do. No need to blame.