Damn Bangkok Taxies!!!

khunpa

Been at Siam Park all day with my kids and they are tired and want to go back to the hotel.

Outside is 7 taxies... ALL of them refuse to drive with the meter on and request crazy prices, so I refuse to go with them. Instead I get an Uber who turns up after 16 min. and drives us to our hotel for THB 401 (paid 500 to get there with a normal taxi, of course also with meter off). A total waste of time just trying to just get a normal taxi ride home.

<deleted> is wrong with these stupid taxi drivers??? <deleted> useless idiots!!!

Been to Siam Park many times and it is always a total pain to get a taxi to drive you home from there. Anyway, next time I will just take an Uber. But shame on these <deleted>! Must be ripping of so many tourists there every day.

6 minutes ago, shady86 said:

Always get Uber and Grab ready. I don't mind pay Extra 20b for using grab. That is why people here prefer to drive!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yes, seems like that is the way to go. I just do not understand that the normal taxi drivers can not see they are destroying their own jobs.

The fact that you have to negotiate each ride, is simply just so annoying and a waste of time (especially when you are standing there with 3 tired kids)

...and there is also the skytrain option, if available nearby...

the whole Bangkok taxi issue would be a lesson of life to these boys....they will ultimately get what they deserve by sawing off their own branch on the tree!!:vampire:

on the other hand, the Bangkok taxi chaps seem to be confident on their scams...maybe due to the numerous tourists or expats who either don't bother to argue or just ignore the cheating ripoff scheme, and just pay the wrong prices...

Edited by observer90210

If you were paying the graft they pay that allows them to sit out front there, you probably wouldn't use the meter, either.

I'd also bet the first one who agreed to break ranks and turn on his meter would be dealt with rather harshly by the others.

Easy to blame it on the drivers, but they're just the public face of a system that's rotten to the core.

What pisses me off is that they are doing this under a military regime. I remember right after the coup that all the taxi drivers were following their rules closely. 

There was no haggling over whether they would condescend to take you anywhere. 

There was no haggling over whether they would use the meter. They just did it. 

Apparently nobody fears the Army anymore. 

I liked it better when taxi drivers feared the generals. 

Out of interest, what were the 'crazy prices' you were being asked for? If you paid 500baht to get there in a taxi off the meter, what were they asking for to take you home? I do agree that using Uber was smart but I'm just curious about what the taxi drivers were asking for. 

One week back in BKK, no refusals from taxis so far - KSR, Hualaphong, Pra Arhit and MBK. Airport a breeze with separate queues for small luggage, large luggage and short trips. BUT!!!! I always hail a moving cab, never one parked outside a usual tourist spot.

8 minutes ago, SiamBeast said:

Just open the door, say Sawatdee Krap, sit at the back, close the door, then announce your destination. If they refuse, take a video, and tell them you'll report them. It's as easy as it gets.

Who would want to risk that kind of ordeal with a very pissed off taxi driver? You have to remember you're a farang, it's not an equal fight here. You will always be in the wrong because you're a foreigner privileged to be living in their glorious country. 

1 hour ago, ma91c1an said:

What pisses me off is that they are doing this under a military regime. I remember right after the coup that all the taxi drivers were following their rules closely. 

There was no haggling over whether they would condescend to take you anywhere. 

There was no haggling over whether they would use the meter. They just did it. 

Apparently nobody fears the Army anymore. 

I liked it better when taxi drivers feared the generals. 

Plenty of generals in the police force. :cheesy:

13 minutes ago, SiamBeast said:

Just open the door, say Sawatdee Krap, sit at the back, close the door, then announce your destination. If they refuse, take a video, and tell them you'll report them. It's as easy as it gets.

Don't you know what they keep under their seat?

24 minutes ago, SiamBeast said:

Thats how someone I know received a beating !... 

Sometimes the right way isn't the best way. If a taxi wants to rip you off, just walk away.

Better still, book an UBER or GRAB taxi and preempt any silliness. 

I had a terrible UBER ride last week - The driver was swearing and driving aggressively. Through the UBER APP I reported him, I'm not sure what action UBER have taken but they guaranteed I would not have the same driver again - OK, not the perfect solution for someone else, but this UBER driver's behavior was extremely out of character for UBER, however, it was par for the course for many regular taxi's I have taken in the past. 

1 hour ago, jadee said:

Out of interest, what were the 'crazy prices' you were being asked for? If you paid 500baht to get there in a taxi off the meter, what were they asking for to take you home? I do agree that using Uber was smart but I'm just curious about what the taxi drivers were asking for. 

They wanted THB 900 and seemed pretty sure they could get it. Seemed to enjoy that I was standing there with 3 kids and thought they had me on the hook.

Outside Siam Park is a really bad place, because there are no other alternatives there. (Unless you do the Uber thing, like I did).

46 minutes ago, SiamBeast said:

I think a bad idea considering I had 3 kids and would have to fight 7 guys, if they became agressive. Would not even consider it if I was alone.

Edited by khunpa

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats how someone I know received a beating !... 

Sometimes the right way isn't the best way. If a taxi wants to rip you off, just walk away.

Better still, book an UBER or GRAB taxi and preempt any silliness. 

I had a terrible UBER ride last week - The driver was swearing and driving aggressively. Through the UBER APP I reported him, I'm not sure what action UBER have taken but they guaranteed I would not have the same driver again - OK, not the perfect solution for someone else, but this UBER driver's behavior was extremely out of character for UBER, however, it was par for the course for many regular taxi's I have taken in the past. 

Good you reported the driver. I have sofar never tried a bad Uber trip. Once drove with a guy who had the most dirty car I have ever seen, but he was a really friendly and funny guy to talk with.

But the fact you can rate a driver is exactly what I think is so great about Uber. Also it is great that you know they will not rip you off. I am so tired of taxi drivers refusing rides, not using the meter and having to constantly be aware that they do not cheat you.

Edited by khunpa

1 hour ago, Kiwisailor said:

One week back in BKK, no refusals from taxis so far - KSR, Hualaphong, Pra Arhit and MBK. Airport a breeze with separate queues for small luggage, large luggage and short trips. BUT!!!! I always hail a moving cab, never one parked outside a usual tourist spot.

I always also normally have okay rides with taxies within BKK center. But it never fails that I run into rotten drivers, when I need to get home from Siam Park. Today it was just super annoying. Had they asked THB 500 or 600, then okay. I needed to get the kids home. But THB 900 is just a total rip off.

Siam Park and Mo Chit is just the worst places I have experienced in Bangkok. Lots of drivers, but no one wants to go anywhere, unless the price is totally crazy.

I dont understand they would rather sit and do nothing, than at least make some income from what is their job.

Edited by khunpa

4 hours ago, shady86 said:

Always get Uber and Grab ready. I don't mind pay Extra 20b for using grab. That is why people here prefer to drive!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yeah, I live in Chiang Mai and always drive myself. But when visiting Bangkok, I have to sometimes uses Taxies. However, after today it will only be Uber or Grab. And I would be happy to pay much more than a normal taxi, just to avoid the trouble.

What annoys me the most, is that you have to end a great day with negotiating with a bunch of idiots, who are clearly just there to rip you off.

Edited by khunpa

2 minutes ago, fishbrando said:

These taxi drivers don't yet seem to realize that they have competition now.

I won't be shedding much of a tear for them when they lose their business.

absolutely, and the tuk tuk crooks, as well!!!

Got a couple of taxis in BKK on Thursday and Friday last week. Only one wouldn't use the meter at the Golden Buddha, and he asked me how much I wanted to pay. I said Meter, and he laughed. So I walked away and got another taxi. I also needed another taxi to run me all over the place including waiting for me. He told me it was 150 baht an hour to wait. After 4 1/2 hours I paid a 1000 baht which was a pretty good deal. I also had his phone number and he waited for me at a number of government buildings and I had paid nothing at this point....really nice guy. Even the taxis at Don Meung Airport can get expensive....I usually walk right past them and flag a taxi down on the street and get a better deal. The traffic in BKK is getting worse, as is the Skytrain being packed all the time. I think the underground trains are better and not so crowded.

My Thai lady usually "gets" me a taxi off the street to go the airport. The last guy waited until we were of of sight of her waving goodbye and then "told" me the price would be whatever. I just "told" him to stop the cab, remove my bag , and at the same time took a photo of his number. Then he went into the " how much you pay " I did a Michael Corleone on him ! " Nothing ! I pay nothing !" Let me out or drive to police. No, I wasn't beaten up , we shook hands, I told him I spend half the year in Thailand, and the meter went on. He did not get the tip Of 100 bht I usually give.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, impulse said:

If you were paying the graft they pay that allows them to sit out front there, you probably wouldn't use the meter, either.

I'd also bet the first one who agreed to break ranks and turn on his meter would be dealt with rather harshly by the others.

Easy to blame it on the drivers, but they're just the public face of a system that's rotten to the core.

I have not used a taxi in Thailand for about 15years. They don't want me. I certainly don't want them. Hey, the bus service is so good.

It's a special problem @ Siam Park - small Taxi mafia gang is waiting outside all day for the customers

Assuming there is revenue from Taxis to Government and meters can be checked surely inspectors to ensure legal taxi metering would be an investment as cash only no meter money goes straight to the pocket ? I suppose I will be told that that couldn't happen in Thailand ! Well in Ireland they were a law unto themselves for decades and all " tough men" to boot . All over now ! Totally transparent now and no hassle ever ! People power can change these things , but there doesn't seem to be an appetite to tackle problems in Thailand. Not my country so who am I.... etc.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, khunpa said:

I always also normally have okay rides with taxies within BKK center. But it never fails that I run into rotten drivers, when I need to get home from Siam Park. Today it was just super annoying. Had they asked THB 500 or 600, then okay. I needed to get the kids home. But THB 900 is just a total rip off.

Siam Park and Mo Chit is just the worst places I have experienced in Bangkok. Lots of drivers, but no one wants to go anywhere, unless the price is totally crazy.

I dont understand they would rather sit and do nothing, than at least make some income from what is their job.

Mo Chit BTS... never had much of a problem there until the last year or so. Since then multiple episodes of demanding up to double the correct fare at peak times (when it isn't easy to hail one passing), and they make it clear you're not getting a taxi otherwise. I now get off the skytrain at Saphan Khwai and get one there, but at peak times there aren't always many available, however at least there is no argument about the fare.

Edited by kkerry

10 hours ago, khunpa said:

Yes, seems like that is the way to go. I just do not understand that the normal taxi drivers can not see they are destroying their own jobs.

The fact that you have to negotiate each ride, is simply just so annoying and a waste of time (especially when you are standing there with 3 tired kids)

It could also be that you want to go to an area that is outside the limit (you don't say so there is only half the information)

Taxis don't have a requirement to go to any destination on the meter and a meter fare of 400 is a  very long way.

About two years ago I took a cab from Swampy to downtown BKK and my hotel. Along the tollway the driver pulled over, stopped and announced "No meter you pay me X baht". Having travelled this route many times before I recognised the overcharge and contemplating what to do (it was dark and I was not going to get out of the cab and probably have the cretin drive off with my luggage) I said "Ok, drive on". Took me about thirty seconds to extricate myself because I knew when I arrive at my hotel ,concierge will come out to the taxi to get my luggage. I got out of the cab slowly while they were doing this (and I am wasting sometime looking for my wallet) I gave the driver 300 baht and walked away. The driver did not make a scene with 3 concierge guys around. Whew. Now I make sure I speak a little Thai to a driver (if I am alone), be friendly and let him know I have stayed at "the hotel" many times before (puts them off driving a long way around also). Hope this helps anyone else from being ripped off.