SRT confirms Bt100,000 one-month overtime request real 

webfact

SRT confirms Bt100,000 one-month overtime request real 
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- State Railway of Thailand (SRT) says a document circulated on social media, showing a Pattani-based railway official lodge a one-month overtime request for more than Bt100,000, is real.

At the same time, the official in question said he may sue the person(s) responsible for leaking the document for violating the Computer Crime Act, if the action damaged his and his family members’ reputations. 

SRT traffic manager (service) Araya Pintadit said the unnamed official, whose monthly salary is Bt61,210, had worked overtime throughout May as the SRT had been repairing rail tracks in the deep South. 

He also revealed that there were about 10 overtime requests in May due to carrying out the necessary work.

He said as the public had questioned the amount sort by the Pattani-based official, the SRT would investigate.

The official in question said it was up to his supervisors to explain the matter to the public. 

He said he had done nothing wrong.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30319218

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-27

Strange, i mean a salary of 61.210.. and overtime of 100.000 .. It could be true if he makes 40 hours a week and made 60 hours a week and overtime is paid double. If there is no double pay for overtime it will be hard.. unless he has a lower amount then 40 hours as a start. 

Just now, robblok said:

Strange, i mean a salary of 61.210.. and overtime of 100.000 .. It could be true if he makes 40 hours a week and made 60 hours a week and overtime is paid double. If there is no double pay for overtime it will be hard.. unless he has a lower amount then 40 hours as a start. 

40 hours standard plus 40 hrs time-and-a-half about covers it. A lot of hours but not inconceivable, but he better have a superior authorising it.

Is that really possible? Just using his salary as a base to calculate his OT, he will have to work like 400 hours OT in a month. That will mean that he work more than half the month a full 24 hours. Smell of the supervisors colluded in approving the OT and getting a share.  

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

At the same time, the official in question said he may sue the person(s) responsible for leaking the document for violating the Computer Crime Act, if the action damaged his and his family members’ reputations. 

Ah, the knee jerk reaction. 

Mind if his claim is legitimate, then I can see why he is upset. 

Edited by Bluespunk

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Is that really possible? Just using his salary as a base to calculate his OT, he will have to work like 400 hours OT in a month. That will mean that he work more than half the month a full 24 hours. Smell of the supervisors colluded in approving the OT and getting a share.  

So you failed remedial maths too?

7 minutes ago, halloween said:

40 hours standard plus 40 hrs time-and-a-half about covers it. A lot of hours but not inconceivable, but he better have a superior authorising it.

Yes, i came to the same conclusion that it is possible depending how overtime is paid.. double or time and a half.. and that it depends on the hours he normally makes. Still a supervisor should check it. 

7 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

If you know math.. then you know it possible.. based on how overtime is calculated. I have made similar amounts of overtime in busy months. So its quite possible though not advisable to do for a long period of time. Not sure how you got to 400 hours OT though.. I wonder what variables you used.

18 minutes ago, webfact said:

SRT traffic manager (service) Araya Pintadit said the unnamed official, whose monthly salary is Bt61,210, had worked overtime throughout May as the SRT had been repairing rail tracks in the deep South. 

If he is working in the conflict zone, might there some sort of set up there that brings in enhanced OT allowances? 

Just now, robblok said:

If you know math.. then you know it possible.. based on how overtime is calculated. I have made similar amounts of overtime in busy months. So its quite possible though not advisable to do for a long period of time. Not sure how you got to 400 hours OT though.. I wonder what variables you used.

I do admit it is just a rough estimate basing on his salary of 6k which works out to be around 250 B per hour divide by the 100k OT. Of course there are variables like holidays and whatever benefits in his work contract. I am specially keen on this topic as I have many workers and I do check their OT. Not claiming I am correct in my estimate. 

Just now, Eric Loh said:

I do admit it is just a rough estimate basing on his salary of 6k which works out to be around 250 B per hour divide by the 100k OT. Of course there are variables like holidays and whatever benefits in his work contract. I am specially keen on this topic as I have many workers and I do check their OT. Not claiming I am correct in my estimate. 

His salary is 61K 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

overtime weekdays and Saturday 1.5 times.  Overtime Sundays 2x and on public/bank holidays 3x.. there were three public/government holidays in May so assuming 10 hours per day ( works were essential ) that equates to 3 x3 x 10 = 90 paid  hours o/t.  4 Sundays at 2x for 10 hours per day equates to 4x2x10 = 80 paid hours o/t and for 4 Saturdays that equates to 4x1.5x10 = 60 paid hours o/t. Additinally assuming that he is on a 45 hour working week/5days per week then additional weekday o/t would be 1x1.5x5x4 = 60 hours paid o/t

O/T thus totals  290 paid hours o/t for the month of May. his hourly rate is in the region of 330 ( dependant upon monthly or annual averaging ) baht per hour so his overtime claim based on those hours above would thus be 366 x 340 = 98600.

so not too far away from his reported o/t claim

Just now, Eric Loh said:

Typo error. Should read 60k. Just bit lazy.

Depends a bit on how much hours he has to work for it. I am saying 40 per week.  Is around 173 on a monthly basis

That would mean 352 per hour, your saying 56-60 hours (depending if you calculate back to equal months going to 52 weeks ect)

If you say 60 hours then yes its a lot less unlikely .. even my 40 hours makes it  hard but in some companies overtime is time and a half.. or even 2 times. So your calculations are not off.. you just use different base for calculating it. 

3 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

overtime weekdays and Saturday 1.5 times.  Overtime Sundays 2x and on public/bank holidays 3x.. there were three public/government holidays in May so assuming 10 hours per day ( works were essential ) that equates to 3 x3 x 10 = 90 paid  hours o/t.  4 Sundays at 2x for 10 hours per day equates to 4x2x10 = 80 paid hours o/t and for 4 Saturdays that equates to 4x1.5x10 = 60 paid hours o/t. Additinally assuming that he is on a 45 hour working week/5days per week then additional weekday o/t would be 1x1.5x5x4 = 60 hours paid o/t

O/T thus totals  290 paid hours o/t for the month of May. his hourly rate is in the region of 330 ( dependant upon monthly or annual averaging ) baht per hour so his overtime claim based on those hours above would thus be 366 x 340 = 98600.

so not too far away from his reported o/t claim

Yea.. i said it was possible.. depending on the variables we use. 

3 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

The overtime rates are not variable -  Thai Labour Law.  Only the actual hours worked and the assumption of his contractual weekly hours are variable.

Thanks.. learned something new here. Did not know that the rates were set in Thai law. 

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Thanks.. learned something new here. Did not know that the rates were set in Thai law. 

Well yes they are but Thailand being what it is many many companies do not comply I am sure. But SRT being a State run monopoly then I would suspect that they do operate in adherence to the labour laws.

That said of course then a monthly salary of 61,200 would indicate quite a senior employer to be earning that sort of money.  no wonder he or she is upset about the public being made aware.

Edited by whatawonderfulday

2 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Well yes they are but Thailand being what it is many many companies do not comply I am sure. But SRT being a State run monopoly then I would suspect that they do operate in adherence to the labour laws.

That said of course then a monthly salary of 61,200 would indicate quite a senior employer to be earning that sort of money.  no wonder he or she is upset about the public being made aware.

Nobody is ever happy when their paycheck is made public. I can understand this guy his request might be legit. However some people seem to think it is not (those that made it public). Its a fine line for people reporting corruption and for people acting out of jealousy. It is good that this has been brought under attention though if its all legit then this guy is getting a raw deal.  

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Nobody is ever happy when their paycheck is made public. I can understand this guy his request might be legit. However some people seem to think it is not (those that made it public). Its a fine line for people reporting corruption and for people acting out of jealousy. It is good that this has been brought under attention though if its all legit then this guy is getting a raw deal.  

Exactly and if really he/she  has been wronged then a pay rise will be in order to keep him happy. Backdated of course so his o/t payment is increased incrementally - well only fair !!!

58 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Did you ever consider that overtime is mostly at a penalty rate?

I somehow doubt SRT would have a policy of paying overtime at the normal hourly rate.

1 hour ago, robblok said:

The variable used was clearly not switching on his brain.

Got into a similar situation many years ago. Working 7x3 on a 35h week, I was called in for D/S before my nights began. Ended up working A/S as well, due to holidays and sickness no-one else available. After 16hrs at double time I was due a 10hr break, so was paid for the N/S while home in bed, 40 hrs pay for the day.

Problem was the guy called in for my N/S was rostered for the next day, but N/S to D/S overtime restricted to 2 hrs, so he goes home and is paid for his normal shift as well. Turns out there was only 2 of us available, so I was called back in again. Went on for 3 days until another body came back from AL.

Office bods went ape, much ado about nothing over what was basically a Cluster F<del>

Edited by halloween

5 minutes ago, Searat7 said:

I am a bit surprised that salaried officials are eligible for overtime so I learned something new too. 

And 61xxxBaht a month is a high salary in the Thai civil service and enterprises.  

6 hours ago, webfact said:

questioned the amount sort by the Pattani-

Possibly the author should sort themselves out, or stop using Google Translation 'cos they surely did not get this sorted.... maybe he should have sought a better dictionary...

:sorry:  NOT!!