‘No bidding’ for Bt7-bn Bangkok tower project

webfact

‘No bidding’ for Bt7-bn Bangkok tower project
By Jakrawan Salaytoo
The Nation

ccf57785a42b5a98ceedf747a2e0ff25.jpeg

The latest perspective rendering of new “Bangkok Observatory Tower”, with its 459 m height making this iconic landmark. Photo from: Facebook fan page of Thailand Skyline

BANGKOK: -- THE CONSTRUCTION of the Bangkok Observatory Tower, which will receive a Bt7.6-billion budget, will be carried out under a special procurement process.

“We won’t call for any bidding to prevent delays,” assistant government spokesman Colonel Atisit Chaiyanuwat said yesterday. 

The Cabinet had already resolved to exempt the project, which will be developed in Klong San in Bangkok, from regulations requiring bids, he said. “We will select the private operator for the project strictly based on conditions that it will prepare proper traffic and environmental management and community development plans. The Treasury Department and the Finance Ministry will review the plans.” 

He said the private firm would also be required to spend money left over after developing the observatory tower for “social causes”. 

At 459 metres, the tower is expected to be a big new attraction.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30319292

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-28

He said the private firm would also be required to spend money left over after developing the observatory tower for “social causes”. 

Like soapy massages, underage prostitutes, etc., for the officials that gave the contractor the job?!?!?!?!?  

How things change in 2 years:

2015 speech by Prayut:

"The new cabinet will, therefore, work to ensure the execution of these policies, bolster people and investors’ confidence, formulate clear measures to bring concrete results, and work on the basis of transparency. We will do our best to assure that results are tangible in all aspects. Every project must be transparent and free of corruption."

http://www.thaiembassy.org/islamabad/en/news/4251/59655-National-Broadcast-by-General-Prayut-Chan-o-cha,-P.html

2017:

The Cabinet had already resolved to exempt the project, which will be developed in Klong San in Bangkok, from regulations requiring bids,

How exactly is this government any better than the last? I though the entire justification of the coup was that the previous government acted without transparency and was corrupt.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

We won’t call for any bidding to prevent delays,” assistant government spokesman Colonel Atisit Chaiyanuwat said yesterday. 

oh my.  no bidding.  a special procurement process.  Gee, that has no warnings.  disgusting

More waste of money,they are spending it like drunken sailors,is it really

that urgent that they dont need to offer the tower for tenders.

like the rest of it ,the top looks a bit dodgy.

regards worgeordie

2 hours ago, brucec64 said:

How things change in 2 years:

2015 speech by Prayut:

"The new cabinet will, therefore, work to ensure the execution of these policies, bolster people and investors’ confidence, formulate clear measures to bring concrete results, and work on the basis of transparency. We will do our best to assure that results are tangible in all aspects. Every project must be transparent and free of corruption."

http://www.thaiembassy.org/islamabad/en/news/4251/59655-National-Broadcast-by-General-Prayut-Chan-o-cha,-P.html

2017:

The Cabinet had already resolved to exempt the project, which will be developed in Klong San in Bangkok, from regulations requiring bids,

How exactly is this government any better than the last? I though the entire justification of the coup was that the previous government acted without transparency and was corrupt.

I will borrow from George Orwell

“The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”

Yep corruption, or the facilitation of it, appears to be growing at an unhealthy rate under the Junta. All those 3 years ago who welcomed the armed take over of democracy in Thailand, then eat your own words.

So given that then my prediction is that Italian-Thai will win the bid. Why ? well check out the majority shareholding of the company and you may understand why,  which is why they have been awarded the lions share of the rail projects to date.  Now the fact that this company's safety record is poor at best, most likely criminal, than the powers that be must adjudge this to be of minor significance because after all, those killed in the last 3 years by this company are only categorised as plebs by this current regime.  Therefore of no consequence as the lives of everybody, except the Elite including the junta,  are basically worthless so not worth a consideration when assessing future projects during the bid process.

Edited by whatawonderfulday

4 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Genesis 11:4  And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.

Sounds perfectly safe. Sign me up for an office!

10 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I also had read that the fee to go to the top of the tower will be 750  Baht per foreign person while Thais will get a 50% discount.  I know one person who won't be riding the elevator to the top.!!!!

will they call this building the Two Tier Tower?

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

More waste of money,they are spending it like drunken sailors,is it really

that urgent that they dont need to offer the tower for tenders.

like the rest of it ,the top looks a bit dodgy.

regards worgeordie

Looks like the designers kids stuck a Cornetto on the top.....:smile:

Can anyone find any info on who the architects or designers of this building are? ..I cant....So No company wants any association with this tower? Strange...

here is a bit more info

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1966196

Originally they said in Dec 2016

The project will be constructed by the Bangkok City Hall Foundation

Now they say

will be financed the Bangkok Observation Tower Foundation, ??

Edited by fforest1

1 hour ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Yep corruption, or the facilitation of it, appears to be growing at an unhealthy rate under the Junta. All those 3 years ago who welcomed the armed take over of democracy in Thailand, then eat your own words.

So given that then my prediction is that Italian-Thai will win the bid. Why ? well check out the majority shareholding of the company and you may understand why,  which is why they have been awarded the lions share of the rail projects to date.  Now the fact that this company's safety record is poor at best, most likely criminal, than the powers that be must adjudge this to be of minor significance because after all, those killed in the last 3 years by this company are only categorised as plebs by this current regime.  Therefore of no consequence as the lives of everybody, except the Elite including the junta,  are basically worthless so not worth a consideration when assessing future projects during the bid process.

I imagine that Sino Thai Engineering will be right  up there with a shot. The head and major shareholder of Sino Thai is also leader of the Bhumjumthai party for defacto leader, the honorable Newin Chidchob. They have been prominent with recent military Governments. The ethics and governance etc of Newin and his party is well documented, but the military seemingly have no concerns over it and keep a strong relationship regardless.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

I like Colonel Atisit Chaiyanuwat's acute style of humour. Of course there will be money left over after this phallic symbol is completed because that will be a condition of the bid. And we all know what "social causes" is code for. Could be something more than paying the bar bills at the Officers Mess.

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I also had read that the fee to go to the top of the tower will be 750  Baht per foreign person while Thais will get a 50% discount.  I know one person who won't be riding the elevator to the top.!!!!

I heard farang have to pay to catch the elevator back down too.