BMW Thailand hands over 118i M Sport to lucky draw winner

BMW Thailand hands over 118i M Sport to lucky draw winner

By The Nation

3d088f21952fb08bceb307968333bc6a.jpeg

BMW Thailand sales and marketing director Lars Nielsen, left, and general marketing manager Sethipong Anutarasoti, centre, at the delivery of a BMW 118i M Sport to lucky draw winner Poomi Hiransomboon.

BMW Thailand recently celebrated the delivery of a BMW 118i M Sport valued at Bt1.999 million to Poomi Hiransomboon, the lucky draw winner of “The Ultimate JOY Experience” programme.

The lucky draw is one of many privileges presented under “The Ultimate JOY Experience” program, which offers BMW owners a chance to enjoy special activities such as the BMW Alpine xDrive activity, in which BMW owners will discover the challenging driving experience on snow and ice surfaces in New Zealand as well as the recently held BMW Driving Experience 2017 driving workshop.

Other lifestyle activities in the program include an exhibition golf tournament, which will take golfers on a journey to the Emirates Golf Club in Dubai, the venue for the world final stage of the BMW Golf Cup International – the largest international tournament series for amateur golfers, as well as a world-class race in the BMW Berlin Marathon.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/30320194

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-08

1 hour ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

If the winner has any sense it will be for sale on Monday morning.

BMW do make some good cars but this is not one of them. Just a badge engineering and marketing exercise for people that can't afford the real thing.

What vehicle is the 118 badge engineered from ?

21 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

What vehicle is the 118 badge engineered from ?

Well the "M Sport" badge is just an option package with better seats, different wheels and some stickers. It is still a 3 pot 1.5ltr turbo with about 134 bhp. The 1 series is ugly too.  Better off with a Golf. Not enough oomph to take any advantage of the rear wheel drive let's face it.

Not sure (it might be old stock) but this could be the last of these 1s before the new 1 Series low end goes FWD anyway like the X1, which is built on the MINI chassis.

If I was 18 years old I might be pleased.

:sleep:

1 hour ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Well the "M Sport" badge is just an option package with better seats, different wheels and some stickers. It is still a 3 pot 1.5ltr turbo with about 134 bhp. The 1 series is ugly too.  Better off with a Golf. Not enough oomph to take any advantage of the rear wheel drive let's face it.

Not sure (it might be old stock) but this could be the last of these 1s before the new 1 Series low end goes FWD anyway like the X1, which is built on the MINI chassis.

If I was 18 years old I might be pleased.

:sleep:

So  it is based on a BMW then.

You should google badge engineering (also known as Rebadging).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebadging

7 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

It is still a 3 pot 1.5ltr turbo with about 134 bhp.

So it's based on a Mini platform? Maybe?

None the less it was free.  Don't forget the old adage. 

What's the best car? A company car!

On 7/10/2017 at 1:28 AM, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

If the winner has any sense it will be for sale on Monday morning.

BMW do make some good cars but this is not one of them. Just a badge engineering and marketing exercise for people that can't afford the real thing.

LOL. I am the proud owner of a 1-series, and its the best driving hatch in the world. Rear while drive, great balance, and so much fun. Same interior and options as the 3-series. I have tuned it, and with 220hp in a small package, its faster than most normal cars here on the road.

Its very practical as well. Fold-able rear seats, a trip to IKEA is no hassle.

Edited by mortenaa

20 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

So  it is based on a BMW then.

You should google badge engineering (also known as Rebadging).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebadging

Twisting my meaning. I will say again it is NOT an "M" but a a marketing toy/ploy with a fancy badge, and it is "being portrayed as a car it is not by the use of that badge".

Is a VW really a Skoda, Seat, Audi or Bentley? I can go on, but essentially it is just a form of badge engineering to put an "M" on a slow and ugly small car that's also very much the bottom rung of BMW's line up. Had I won it I would have done just what I said and put it on sale the following day.

I don't need Google thanks... 1.5ltr 3 pot is not really what BMW are about in essence. I've been in, driven, owned and written about BMWs since my friend bought a 2002Tii in about 1973.

9 hours ago, mortenaa said:

LOL. I am the proud owner of a 1-series, and its the best driving hatch in the world. Rear while drive, great balance, and so much fun. Same interior and options as the 3-series. I have tuned it, and with 220hp in a small package, its faster than most normal cars here on the road.

Its very practical as well. Fold-able rear seats, a trip to IKEA is no hassle.

Glad you like it, it must go nicely with your furniture (lol).

I'd love to see the dyno that says you are getting 220 horses from it - unless you got the 4 pot engine - that we are not actually talking about here as that is a different car (still ugly though).

Ha ha most modded hatch backs here are noisy not fast.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

3 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Twisting my meaning. I will say again it is NOT an "M" but a a marketing toy/ploy with a fancy badge, and it is "being portrayed as a car it is not by the use of that badge".

Is a VW really a Skoda, Seat, Audi or Bentley? I can go on, but essentially it is just a form of badge engineering to put an "M" on a slow and ugly small car that's also very much the bottom rung of BMW's line up. Had I won it I would have done just what I said and put it on sale the following day.

I don't need Google thanks... 1.5ltr 3 pot is not really what BMW are about in essence. I've been in, driven, owned and written about BMWs since my friend bought a 2002Tii in about 1973.

Fair enough, we will have to agree to disagree on the meaning of badge engineering.

10 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Glad you like it, it must go nicely with your furniture (lol).

I'd love to see the dyno that says you are getting 220 horses from it - unless you got the 4 pot engine - that we are not actually talking about here as that is a different car (still ugly though).

Ha ha most modded hatch backs here are noisy not fast.

Mine is pre LCI, so 4 pot. 

https://www.br-performance.be/en-be/chiptuning/1-cars/5-bmw/508-1-serie/3855-f2x-2011-2015/3954-116i/

One of the reason I bought this model, because it's tuning potential. 

Edited by mortenaa

11 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

BMW M-sport, not to be confused with BMW M-cars
Mercedes AMG, not to be confused with Mercedes AMG cars
Audi S-Line, not to be confused with Audi Sport

M-sport is of the most popular packages for BMW. Its consists of styling, brakes, suspension, wheels, interior, functions and other details. Its so much more than a badge.

Edited by mortenaa

57 minutes ago, mortenaa said:

M-sport is of the most popular packages for BMW. Its consists of styling, brakes, suspension, wheels, interior, functions and other details. Its so much more than a badge.

Correct, M Sport is nothing more than a trim and styling package, Nothing to do with BMW's Motorsport Division.

On 7/12/2017 at 3:00 AM, Techno Viking said:

Fair enough, we will have to agree to disagree on the meaning of badge engineering.

Yes we should. It originated back when BL were badging the same cars as Morris, Austin, Wolseley, Riley etc and later bought Hondas and stuck a BL engine in some and badged them Triumph and Rover. American GM, Ford etc have done it for just as long, and European VW, BMW, PSA. Renault etc do the same now.

These days with so many manufacturers owning other car companies it really isn't just that. The marketing people and accountants have made an "art" of it.

I'm waiting for the Smart fortwo AMG Black.

But you get my drift I think.

Cheers :thumbsup:

16 hours ago, mortenaa said:

So it is just another "options list" really, as I said.

Don't confuse M-Sport with Alpina either.

BTW, I'd have an M140i for free... Any tickets going for that raffle?

:wink:

5 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

So it is just another "options list" really, as I said.

Don't confuse M-Sport with Alpina either.

Actually you said it was badge engineering but now you have been set straight by Morteena you have changed your story.

As for confusing an M-sport optioned vehicle with an Alpina built vehicle, one would have to be a very special king if window licker to do that !!

On 7/13/2017 at 8:45 AM, Techno Viking said:

Actually you said it was badge engineering but now you have been set straight by Morteena you have changed your story.

As for confusing an M-sport optioned vehicle with an Alpina built vehicle, one would have to be a very special king if window licker to do that !!

Yes you would, Alpina make BMWs a lot better, but they don't do a B1 as far as I am aware, and would be flabbergasted if they ever do.

I talked about the history of the expression, and where it has now got to. The definition of "Badge Engineering" has changed and it is the dictionaries that need to keep up. My position remains the same.

Some of the young buyers don't really see beyond the stickers, it's like wearing the wrong name on shirts, trainers, jeans, err in mean chinos...

I don't have a car in Thailand as I don't need one being retired, do you drive here?

3 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Yes you would, Alpina make BMWs a lot better, but they don't do a B1 as far as I am aware, and would be flabbergasted if they ever do.

I talked about the history of the expression, and where it has now got to. The definition of "Badge Engineering" has changed and it is the dictionaries that need to keep up. My position remains the same.

Some of the young buyers don't really see beyond the stickers, it's like wearing the wrong name on shirts, trainers, jeans, err in mean chinos...

I don't have a car in Thailand as I don't need one being retired, do you drive here?

Yeah I drive an 2014 Acura but some some silly person has put Honda Accord badges on it.