Do you give money to beggars on the street?

joeyg

13 hours ago, joeyg said:

I've spent a lot of time in India over the years involved in medical humanitarian work.  It was always bad.  It's really become hell on earth now.  It is a nightmare.

Depressing place. I saw all these black garbage bags and old packing cases on the side walk one evening and thought, "They have the garbage out early." Pre-dawn the next day, the homeless emerge from their bags and boxes, some of them dressed quite smartly, and get ready for work.

As for the half-guy on a hand cart in the middle of the busy traffic intersection at 9 PM, I seriously doubt he dragged himself into the middle of the junction.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, joeyg said:

I know, I know.  I guess i'm just a sucker for some of these guys.  it's too much for me to think about sometimes.

Then why don't you do whatever you want to do and keep it to yourself?

17 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

My Thai wife says NEVER give. Majority of beggers are not Thai and are brought in daily with busses for begging, including the women with the small kids that mostly are not their own. Giving money means feeding mafia

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If you want to help them, give them food. They are ravenously hungry - any money is taken off them by the beggar master.

You are very caring OP, but please bear in mind that most of these guys may only see a fraction of the money they get

as they may being getting dropped off and picked up by the Scum taking advantage of them.

17 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I used to regularly see a couple of disabled beggars in the local markets - and yes, I always gave them money.

Those with 'boom boxes' - never.

Those playing some instrument extremely badly (and not having any obvious disability) - again, never.

That's the "blind" people you are talking about.

selectively. My personal sucker switch is blind people, though i know there are organizations that they can work with.

You can get it wrong though, as my wife found out.  She decided to offer a donation to an old lady sweeping the sidewalk and the old lady chased her half way down the street with her broom for insulting her. I couldnt stop laughing.

Reminds me of the guys crawling on their stomachs pushing a bowl but the soles of their feet are black with dirt, the man near Central World in Bangkok with no arms and a cup in his mouth (his arms well concealed) and the little girl who years ago was dropped off at different BTS stations who sat there beating a drum. I'm told she tool in more than 30,000/month. The last time I saw her she hadn't been cared for. I feel bad for them but don't give. I've read where children were dismembered on purpose to be beggars. I also saw Slumdog Millionaire. Very sad movie. I wish I had not.

I was walking with some friends one night. We had just come from 7-11 and a friend had bought some snacks. He gave them to a kid begging on the street. The kid threw the snacks in the bushes behind him and continued begging. He didn't even say thank you.

I would give and helping a disabled person in anyway I don't find it wrong nor I would stop I try my best if I come across such begets who genuinely is helpless. I do it from my good faith 

18 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I used to regularly see a couple of disabled beggars in the local markets - and yes, I always gave them money.

Those with 'boom boxes' - never.

Those playing some instrument extremely badly (and not having any obvious disability) - again, never.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

That's the "blind" people you are talking about.

You misunderstand.

I'm one of the 'softest touches' imaginable!  The couple I've seen with 'boom boxes'/playing instruments extremely badly on the 'sidewalk' in front of a market weren't blind - unless they had superhuman abilities enabling them to see Westerners and reach out for money - whilst not behaving the same way towards Thais...... :laugh:

I give even I know there are some scammers there because I don't miss a few baht here and there. Even if I only got one genuine one in a hundred it is worth it. I don't believe that all of them to a man are not in need. However in one case I never give because it is very obvious the guy is playing on people's heart strings. That individual has one leg which is only missing his foot. The other leg is perfectly normal however he drags/crawls himself around all the bars as if he was almost completely paralyzed. If you watch you will see he does very very well out of it. Also he's rather portly indicating he's not exactly short on food supplies.

Den 

It depends on the reading of my BS meter.  It also has a lot to do with whether I'm approached and asked for money (I break out the BS meter immediately) or whether is see someone in need and my Empathy alarm goes off.  

Bottom line: It depends.

19 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

My Thai wife says NEVER give. Majority of beggers are not Thai and are brought in daily with busses for begging, including the women with the small kids that mostly are not their own. Giving money means feeding mafia

Sent from my HTC 10 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

How much money does your wife fork over to Thai Buddhist temples each year?

Just saying, Thais are not the most empathetic people in the world and when they give, there is an expectation that they will receive something in return.  Having been married to a Thai for 9 years and living in Thai communities (as opposed to farang-centric communities) for 10 years, I've seen how it works here.  I respond to human suffering, but you have to know the line between who is really suffering and who is conning you.  Most Thais can't make that distinction so they simply ignore the problems.  It's not them suffering so its not their problem; and if you are suffering, it's the fault of your own karma.  So they choose not to help.  

15 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Don't give them money, give them food.  If they show appreciation give them more food next time you see them but never money.

Its not that simple.

I'd be shocked if the couple of disabled beggars I used to see in the market everyday, didn't receive left-over food from the market stall holders - but they also deserve a roof over their head etc.- for which they need money.

I rarely do as I feel it just ends up in another's hands and encourages more of the same. The severely disabled types you describe I do not usually see though, as they likely would change my mind.

I certainly give nothing to the profusion of scroungers that seem to occupy various spots in the town centre where I am now in the UK... they all seem perfectly capable.

Edited by jacko45k

16 hours ago, joeyg said:

I've spent a lot of time in India over the years involved in medical humanitarian work.  It was always bad.  It's really become hell on earth now.  It is a nightmare.

On a stopover in india 20 odd years ago. On the way to the hotel, our driver pulled over and said he would be two minutes, dont open the doors. Within seconds of his departure the car was surrounded by dozens of kids wanting to sell us anything from newspapers to snakes. More than a bit of a fright for first time visitors

I give to the ones I see in need like blind fellow at the market that has one them music boxes and sings. I don't care what they do with the money like buy booze etc. It's up to them. I gave from my heart and that's what is important. 

It will come back to me some day someway.

I don't give the people that come into a restaurant with sign saying they are deaf. I don't know they are. I have prompt in my spirit that tells someone is in need and when I ignored it I know it is wrong so I will go back to look for that person.

Just now, titanio82 said:

Reminds me of the beggar guy in Asok sittings late at night, back in 2004!!!, picking up his mobile phone. I was shocked. Since then never donated a Satang.

Reminds me of my second holiday in Thailand.

We spent a couple of days in Bangkok and were suprised to see a monk sitting in front of an amulet stall, inspecting the amulets with a magnifying glass and also smoking.

This was suprising, but when he pulled out a HUGE wad of notes - I lost any respect I'd previously had for monks :sad:.

Getting back on topic - I'll always give money to beggars that I believe to be in need, but as a previous poster pointed out, a BS meter is required.

The other night there was a woman begging in the street in CM ,,,shes usually there...I had bought some ready made dinners for myself from the supermarket.they're thai food and pretty good ...the meal was hot, i had just bought a can of coke , unopened .

felt bad for her , so I gave her a hot fresh meal and a cold soda....well if looks could kill! instead of money i gave her food and she hated me for it....that speaks volumes about some of theses''beggars'' real agenda.