In detention right now about to be deported

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

To whom should I write to make a complaint?

??? The point here is that they know who you are, when they check your movements the passport number and country are secondary criteria.

18 hours ago, HooHaa said:

i use the fast track lane all the time, no voucher, never been questioned

Lucky... I have the voucher in my top pocket and rarely have been asked for it but I have it ready to give it. If you don't and get caught it's fraud as the lanes are clearly marked but probably you could pretend you didn't know but I don't think you should be cheating like that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Just did probably my +200th entry to Thailand over about 24 years after a short business trip to Saigon, flipping the passports as I do to stop one filling up too fast. No questions asked about the other passport that enabled my previous entry and stay and was processed through their system less than 3 days earlier.

Both my current passports, renewed within a month of each other, have identical photographs, same name, same date of birth, same place of birth, just different issue/expiry dates and numbers.

Still no questions asked by Immigration about either passport.

To whom should I write to make a complaint?

Not sure why you want to complain.   There’s nothing illegal in holding two, or more, passports provided that they are yours and they are genuine.

When a person has dual citizenships they are entitled to hold a passport from each country.  Obviously the country code and passport numbers will be different, but the immigration system is capable of linking the two passports together using the other data contained in the code at the bottom of the photo page.

In others cases a person may request a second passport from his/her country of citizenship because they visit certain countries (for example Israel) and this may subsequently hinder them from entering another country (for example: an Arab country).

Where someone has two passports issued by the same country, with either a change in number or names, the immigration system will pick this up and again link both passports together.

13 hours ago, balo said:

Why , if you have a legal visa to stay for several months at a time , you can apply for a Thai bank account. Money can be transfered from abroad and all the transactions can be tracked so no problem there. Most of my friends living in Thailand for 6 months or longer try to get a Thai bank account to avoid ATM fees.  

Anyway , I would never carry that much cash with me . But I will carry documentation that will show any immigration officer that I am not broke but good for more than 1 million baht . Maybe that helps.

I guess the 'Most of my friends living in Thailand for 6 months or longer 'is the part that raises the red flag to the immigration officers.

Good for you friends if they have the funds to be tourists for six months or more......most people do not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tsm12345 said:

I'm back home in Bangkok. Thanks for the help. I bought a flight to Germany. Withdrew 30k THB. Got a medical certificate. Took the invoice from my hotel in Laos. Asked my lobbyguy to send me a letter for my serviced apartment that shows I have paid it till September. Got another letter from my Language school + contacts to call. Got a bankstatement. And yeah got through. Rough few days. 

Incorrect, you are not back at "home", you are back at your previous place of residence within Thailand, specifically for the purpose being continuation of education under your own financing whilst being there.

I believe the days of "Wherever I leave my hat, I call home" are way way gone.

What perturbs me most about this post is the inflexibility of the "competent officers" and any veracity for truth of financial status.

Folding notes (taxation by pickpockets is 100%) are no longer the preferred choice of legitimate travellers.

I can exit Thailands border utilise most ATM's on a foreign issued "eftpos"card which shows actual balance in a current account of funds irrespective of any funds available by a credit card.

A maelstrom of opinion that is far ranging has eventuated from this topic.

Best of Luck.

I just got all that to be safe on entering. I booked the flight back to show that I have the means to come and go and what not. I dno man I just didn't want there to be any space for argument of me being unable to support myself or leave the country whenever I want or have to.

Good you got back ok.

Could you give us an idea of what you looked like / was wearing when the IO pulled you over? I'm wondering if you looked backpackery and whether that was anything to do with it.

3 hours ago, 007 RED said:

Not sure why you want to complain.   There’s nothing illegal in holding two, or more, passports provided that they are yours and they are genuine.

When a person has dual citizenships they are entitled to hold a passport from each country.  Obviously the country code and passport numbers will be different, but the immigration system is capable of linking the two passports together using the other data contained in the code at the bottom of the photo page.

In others cases a person may request a second passport from his/her country of citizenship because they visit certain countries (for example Israel) and this may subsequently hinder them from entering another country (for example: an Arab country).

Where someone has two passports issued by the same country, with either a change in number or names, the immigration system will pick this up and again link both passports together.

It was a joke.... carry on.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good you got back ok.

Could you give us an idea of what you looked like / was wearing when the IO pulled you over? I'm wondering if you looked backpackery and whether that was anything to do with it.

Backpackerish is the correct term when referring to appearances or mannerisms.

Backpackery is a verb but sometimes raises confusion when someone may say, "Don't you go all backpackery on me now" when for example, someone's personal hygiene has been questioned.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good you got back ok.

He very handsum 

With both these 2 Threads about being denied entry it's getting quite worrying. I am not worried about not being able to live In Thailand anymore just the thought of the hassle of not being back in to take care of things here before I leave. I have many back to back tourist visas in my passport but never Fly in. I am going to loas tomorrow on a visa run. Do you guys think I should print out some documents to prove I am not working here. I am landlord in my home country if I show them my bank statements with the address of my propertys and the monthly rent payment will This be enough?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, juice777 said:

With both these 2 Threads about being denied entry it's getting quite worrying. I am not worried about not being able to live In Thailand anymore just the thought of the hassle of not being back in to take care of things here before I leave. I have many back to back tourist visas in my passport but never Fly in. I am going to loas tomorrow on a visa run. Do you guys think I should print out some documents to prove I am not working here. I am landlord in my home country if I show them my bank statements with the address of my propertys and the monthly rent payment will This be enough?

If entering by land at Nong Khai, you should be fine. There would be no harm, though, in having documentation showing your source of overseas income, and showing transfers into Thailand.

3 minutes ago, juice777 said:

So far, no indication of similar problems to those 2 reports anywhere but Airports and the Poipet crossing.  That said, when I was using TR Visas, I always carried proof that my money was being transferred into Thailand from abroad in the form of a Thai Bank Book showing this.  A bank statement with deposits and withdrawals would be good.  Even better to bolster that with  evidence of the source of your deposits, as you suggested.

Also, carry proof of where you stay - rental-contract, etc.  Cramming some addresses into a TM6 form is impossible, legibly, so I usually offered a business-card of my condo, so the officer could use that for their computer-input of my address. 

And, of course, do have 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks.  You are unlikely to be asked for it coming back from Laos, but better to have it and not need it than the other way around.  I used travelers checks to prevent worry of loss or theft.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2017 at 8:16 AM, ubonjoe said:

Having a visa does not exempt a person from needing to show financial proof on entry to the country.

Nor even an extension of stay and re-entry permit presumably (although, thankfully, I was not challenged in this regard upon return to BKK from my latest UK trip a few weeks ago)?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Nor even an extension of stay and re-entry permit presumably (although, thankfully, I was not challenged in this regard upon return to BKK from my latest UK trip a few weeks ago)?

I wrote visa since that allows a new entry to the country.

A re-entry permit is not a visa and does not give a new entry. It allows a entry based upon an entry done before.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I wrote visa since that allows a new entry to the country.

A re-entry permit is not a visa and does not give a new entry. It allows a entry based upon an entry done before.

Ho UJ and my apologies for upsetting you much earlier in this thread. Does the extension of stay based on retirement therefore require the Bht 20k to be produced? 

If we have already proved to the same entity ( immigration) that we are fiscally sound and meet their criteria, why would they demand to see more?

i am going to do my 90 day day reporting next Thursday but on Friday I fly out for a couple of months. As the 90 day report costs nothing I don't see any problem but I will presumably need to purchase the Bht 1900 exit reentry  stamp ( sorry cannot right now recall the correct name)  which I will do at immigration in khorat. 

When i I come back though my "new" 90 days starts from the day of arrival does it not?

7 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Ho UJ and my apologies for upsetting you much earlier in this thread. Does the extension of stay based on retirement therefore require the Bht 20k to be produced? 

If we have already proved to the same entity ( immigration) that we are fiscally sound and meet their criteria, why would they demand to see more?

No, you don't need it - and ask for a supervisor if they do ask.  Immigration themselves (not the MFA) gave you permission to be here with that 'extension of stay', which you are merely continuing with the re-entry permit Immigration also provided.

i am going to do my 90 day day reporting next Thursday but on Friday I fly out for a couple of months. As the 90 day report costs nothing I don't see any problem but I will presumably need to purchase the Bht 1900 exit reentry  stamp ( sorry cannot right now recall the correct name)  which I will do at immigration in khorat. 

When i I come back though my "new" 90 days starts from the day of arrival does it not?

Only 1000 Baht for a 'single' re-entry permit - Yes, the 90-days starts from when you enter the country.

Does the extension of stay based on retirement therefore require the Bht 20k to be produced? 

It does not.

When is your report due? If you leave before the report is due you do not have to do it.

If you have a valid re-entry permit in your passport you do not need another one. The fee is 1000 baht for a single re-entry permit and 3800 baht for a multiple.

8 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Yes

48 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

38 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Yes, the 90-days starts from when you enter the country.

With the day of arrival counting as Day 1 of the 90.

As everyone one  here  now knows about this 20k 

Simple rule for yourselfs.

Regardless of what visa or extension or if your coming in Visa exempt.

CARRY 20K easy no hassle no drama. Cover yourself.

Carry 20 to ease your entry

So far, no indication of similar problems to those 2 reports anywhere but Airports and the Poipet crossing.  That said, when I was using TR Visas, I always carried proof that my money was being transferred into Thailand from abroad in the form of a Thai Bank Book showing this.  A bank statement with deposits and withdrawals would be good.  Even better to bolster that with  evidence of the source of your deposits, as you suggested.

Also, carry proof of where you stay - rental-contract, etc.  Cramming some addresses into a TM6 form is impossible, legibly, so I usually offered a business-card of my condo, so the officer could use that for their computer-input of my address. 

And, of course, do have 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks.  You are unlikely to be asked for it coming back from Laos, but better to have it and not need it than the other way around.  I used travelers checks to prevent worry of loss or theft.

I have printed out all my bank statements and my contracts with my estate agent. I am going to take them with me on all future visa runs just to be on the safe side. Plus I will now always make sure I have 20000K with me as well. So is Cambodia probably a bad ideal then for future visa runs. Whats been happening at the poipet crossing?
I was planning going there when I get a new passport. If flying in is getting harder that only leaves loas left as far as I can see.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, tryasimight said:

guess the 'Most of my friends living in Thailand for 6 months or longer 'is the part that raises the red flag to the immigration officers.

No they are all retired and have the correct visa , they don't have to worry at all.  

And I will not encourage them to bring 20k in cash just because of this story . They could get robbed on the way. Show your bank books instead and bring your credit card. That's all you need. 

Edited by balo

No they are all retired and have the correct visa , they don't have to worry at all.  
And I will not encourage them to bring 20k in cash just because of this story . They could get robbed on the way. Show your bank books instead and bring your credit card. That's all you need. 

I can't recall one thread where a bank book or card was sufficient for an IO, can you?

33 minutes ago, juice777 said:

I have printed out all my bank statements and my contracts with my estate agent. I am going to take them with me on all future visa runs just to be on the safe side. Plus I will now always make sure I have 20000K with me as well. So is Cambodia probably a bad ideal then for future visa runs. Whats been happening at the poipet crossing?
I was planning going there when I get a new passport. If flying in is getting harder that only leaves loas left as far as I can see.

Cambodia is OK - Just don't use Poipet.  Use Ban Laem or Ban Packard to cross and return (other threads on transport-routes to these).  The worst part of a Phnom Penh Visa Trip is the lousy bus-service from Phnom Penh to Battambang (where you then get a shared-taxi to Ban Laem or Ban Packard).  There is no 'real' VIP bus, so I usually bought 2 seats, so I could stretch out and have a bit of personal-space.  Vans are also available (faster - negotiate for the front seat with no 3rd passenger squished between you and the driver), as are private and shared-taxis (again, negotiate for the full front-seat with the driver, or they will jam in another person).

You can also use the land-entry points from Malaysia with a Tourist Visa, where the only issue is showing the money (so far).  The airport situation means longer overland travel, unless you route your return air-journey to end in Penang or Vientiane, then do a land-crossing from there.  If that sounds like a PITA - yes, I think that is the point of this policy.

As to Tourist-Visa availability:  I'd only get one Tourist Visa from Phnom Penh to start, as they gave me the "this traveler frequently travels to Thailand..." extra-stamp on my 2nd from them. This made it impossible to get another Tourist Visa from either Phnom Penh or Vientiane.  Penang is good for a Tourist Visa, though we have a report of the "this traveler frequently travels to Thailand..." stamp on a 2nd Tourist Visa from them (used to be 3 or 4).  Bali, Malaysia is another option, as are HCMC and Hanoi in Vietnam.   I would get one from each, then circle back around for a 2nd from Vientiane and Savanakhet, next.  But be prepared to apply for a new passport from your embassy as soon as the "this traveler frequently travels to Thailand..." stamp appears.   

6 minutes ago, balo said:

And I will not encourage them to bring 20k in cash just because of this story . Bring your bank books instead.

Those with immigration-issued extensions of stay should not need to show money at all.  Probably a good idea with the bank books for them, just in case.

But note that bank-books and statements will do you Little to No Good At All with an MFA-issued "Visa" - if an IO wants to "see the money" - though they might help if shown in addition to the money, upon further questioning, to show the foreign-origin of your funds.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It does not.

When is your report due? If you leave before the report is due you do not have to do it.

If you have a valid re-entry permit in your passport you do not need another one. The fee is 1000 baht for a single re-entry permit and 3800 baht for a multiple.

Yes

Thanks UJ, much appreciated. 

12 minutes ago, balo said:

I seem to recall it must be cash or travellers cheques.  So you give your soon not to be mates incorrect information.

18 minutes ago, balo said:

You can do that.  But unlike the OP, take a few photos of the cockroaches in lock up would ya...