American tourist in fistfight with Patong tuk-tuk driver over B200 fare

webfact

American tourist in fistfight with Patong tuk-tuk driver over B200 fare

Eakkapop Thongtub

1500269855_1-org.jpg

American tourist Nicholas Martin De Haan, 28, from Oregon, and Patong tuk-tuk driver Burin Sukhontharot shake hands at Patong Police Station yesterday (July 16). Photo: Patong Police

PHUKET: -- An American tourist and a Phuket tuk-tuk taxi driver have shaken hands and made peace after they were each fined B2,000 for fighting over a B200 tuk-tuk fare in Patong early yesterday morning (July 16).

The fight broke out at about 5am in front of the Poppa Palace hotel in Soi Jintana off Rat-U-Thit 200 Pi Rd.

Maj Eakkachai Siri of the Phuket Tourist Police called in regular officers from the Patong Police after he was notified of the fight, but by the time police arrived the tuk-tuk driver, Burin Sukhontharot, had left the scene.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/american-tourist-in-fistfight-with-patong-tuk-tuk-driver-over-b200-fare-63051.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 

One rarely takes sides in favour of drunk tourists on late night brawls.....

But considering in this case a tuk tuk driver was involved and aware that a majority of these tuk tuk fellows are a bunch of mafia franchised cheats....

One could plainly suggest and warn all tourists in Thailand to avoid these crooks like the plague.

Good and fair job however from the Police in having fined both the antagonists!

Edited by observer90210

3 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Good and fair job however from the Police in having fined both the antagonists!

Unlikely the Tuk Tuk driver paid this fine. They are a "protected" profession..All for show by the police

Overly negative post removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

And the winner is.... the police who walked away with 4,000 baht and without

even throwing a punch....

..... and your proof for this innane comment is? The B2k each was a FINE.

36 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Back in the day when I used to drive a cab, the occasional drunk would refuse to pay or was out cold with no money, too bad this tuk tuk clown couldn't do as I did and just moved on, shows the hate they have for the farang.

On the other hand I was once staying at the Hilton by the Park in Patong on the main drag, I think it was called that, anyway I caught a taxi to Bangla Road, gave him a 1,000 baht note for the 200 baht ride, he didn't have the change and said he would be at the same place at the same time tomorrow, if he wasn't there to leave it with another driver, just say it was for Bow, I did just that, and as I gave it to the other guy, he crossed the road and said thanks, some have faith and patience I suppose.

Edited by 4MyEgo

TV has been taken over by the lowest dregs of farangs that hate all thngs Thai in order to make themselves look superior. What they don't know is their comments actually make them look stupid and narrow minded which is the more accurate description. Thailand would be better off reading the comments on Tv and deporting the daily critics who contribute nothing but BS to this country. Bad guys out 

Edited by Wake Up

2 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

i agree with other comments,avoid them as much as possible if you are in that area.the pic looks fake as he knows he will do it to the next tourist

yeah!!!!!!!!!

you see these tuk tuk and taxi drivers

you feel sorry for them trying to make a living

but they see us farang as meat

they will rob you

drive you to the wrong place

<deleted> them

total scum

these taxi driver types spoil thailand

I was in patong on saturday.

They wanted 200 THB from the beach (patong seafood) to jungceylon.

Its a 1 minute drive.

I was too exhausted to walk after running around looking for my friends phone in the midday heat.

The entire conversation was in thai.. I said paang maak song loy etc.. Tried to get it down to 150.. Nope... 

Good news for everyone living there: there's an app called grab and it works really well on phuket. We have been here 4 days and already saved around 2000 baht compared to the prices stated in hotels etc. (From phuket town to patong, 900 thb.. With grab 330!) etc..

God they deserve uber on phuket as well.

Where was the fight? the vid shows the  American (who looks handcarts) trying to undo the Tuk Tuk drivers shoe about 5 seconds in, after Mr Tuk Tuk tries to land a kick in but defo no fight... And where was hotel security while this was taking place... As said, american paid 2000B and everyone is happy (we all know the Tuk Tuk did not have to pay, in fact he prob got a cut of the winnings...

6 hours ago, Wake Up said:

TV has been taken over by the lowest dregs of farangs that hate all thngs Thai in order to make themselves look superior. What they don't know is their comments actually make them look stupid and narrow minded which is the more accurate description. Thailand would be better off reading the comments on Tv and deporting the daily critics who contribute nothing but BS to this country. Bad guys out 

very true...all the tuk tuk drivers towards farangs are living monuments of integrity, honesty and highly customer service oriented, who give a memorable image of Thailand, just like the Bangkok Taxis starting from the Air Port...