Packs of dogs damaging tourism in Ao Lak - but they only bite western visitors

webfact

2 hours ago, imagemaestro said:

I have experienced the phenomena of soi dogs attacking foreigners only.  I suspect it is because we "smell" differently to the locals due to diet or genetics.  Canines respond to strangers with barking and rushing behaviour ( in aggressive ones biting).

The average Thai response is what I find odd.   It is either indifference or amusement.  There is no or rarely any attempt to stop or control the dog or dogs. I have sometimes suspected encouragement.  The dogs undisciplined, restrained or encouraged by amusement or otherwise becomes programmed into the behaviour.

see/smell/sense foreigner = rush, bite attack      conduct unchecked or encouraged        repeat

Of course until they meet me.  Large walking stick and spray and willing to use it on them.... and angry owners if need be.

Maybe it's because we "don't" smell?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It happens many times in Phuket , personnaly I was bitten one month ago with a stupid answer from the dog's owner that it was because I was wearing helmet and sunglasses . A lot of dogs are aggressive here , I recommend to people who does not know that to have a ride in isolated soi and to meet packs of dogs which are reacting  because you are violating their territories. In Malaysia they clean the streets of stray dogs regularly .

I recommend strongly to tourists to be very careful with dogs even if they look quiet and sleepy. I had alredy several minor problems and a big one.

Last year a women was attacked by 3 Pit-bulls and the man who was helping her is injured for life.

A tourist that gets bitten by a soi dog goes to the hospital and spends money for first aid; that money goes into some Thai's rice bowl. Where's the problem? The money stays in Thailand and the tourist goes back home, all is well.

Edited by IAMHERE
misspell

7 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Marauding packs of xenophobic dogs; what can be done? They won't tell us who their leader is.

Gee the jaunta are everywhere cant help them selves running wild in amazing thailand 

We have a similar situation here in Chiang Mai, I won't tell further location but I will explain oddity:

Dogs on main road will only attack, Bark at,  try to stop One certain Motorcycle. They not bother 99.999% of the walkers, Motorcycle Riders... Just this one! It make no difference what time of day or night they hear this motorcycle, maybe smell Human. but they know who he is!

Rider of Motorcycle is Thai man in his late 20's to middle 30"s. I found out why this was happening as I stopped him from Beating dog one evening. He said ever since I hit this dog with motorcycle, "I think I kill him", he always try to bite me......

I know when this happened as there are 2 Dogs, the other one came and got me to help his "Brother" as he laid in street, his left leg and paw where severely damaged and cut. We have a Vet who lives really close to us, he came out to witness what was happening. I carried this supposedly "Very Mean Dog" to his home office, never once did he or his friend try to bite or growl at me. His leg was broke and paw need thirty two stitches (He is not my Dog, I know some are going to make this comment!) I have a Inside dog and had 3 cats, one died. I would go down every day to in front of where dog lived and clean his paw. He would just after the first two times sit there and put his paw on my knee...

I would like to catch this rider some night and with a 8" 2x4 take a swing and knock him clear of his bike, to teach him a lesson! But I know it would be my luck that the Police would take me to either Jail or Immigration and be deported for trying to kill a Thai!! These 2 Dogs still roam our street... Everyone helps the old Lady who owns them, feed her boys! They both come down and visit all the fenced Dogs on our street. In case you are wondering I paid Our Neighbor, the Vet for his Emergency Services... He took the money and bought Old lady enough dog food for 6 months, the rest he has an account at his clinic for anything her "Boys (Dogs) need"!

What I am trying to say is that if truth be known, somewhere along the line a Farang tried to Hurt one or all of this pack, now they associate... Farang to getting hurt!

Two incidents in two months, according to the hotel manager. Not excessive and the same thing probably happens in any large town in the world. As to why the dogs exist there, perhaps the Thais need to look at themselves. I don't think they originated from pets abandoned by foreigners.

3 minutes ago, davidstipek said:

We have a similar situation here in Chiang Mai, I won't tell further location but I will explain oddity:

Dogs on main road will only attack, Bark at,  try to stop One certain Motorcycle. They not bother 99.999% of the walkers, Motorcycle Riders... Just this one! It make no difference what time of day or night they hear this motorcycle, maybe smell Human. but they know who he is!

Rider of Motorcycle is Thai man in his late 20's to middle 30"s. I found out why this was happening as I stopped him from Beating dog one evening. He said ever since I hit this dog with motorcycle, "I think I kill him", he always try to bite me......

I know when this happened as there are 2 Dogs, the other one came and got me to help his "Brother" as he laid in street, his left leg and paw where severely damaged and cut. We have a Vet who lives really close to us, he came out to witness what was happening. I carried this supposedly "Very Mean Dog" to his home office, never once did he or his friend try to bite or growl at me. His leg was broke and paw need thirty two stitches (He is not my Dog, I know some are going to make this comment!) I have a Inside dog and had 3 cats, one died. I would go down every day to in front of where dog lived and clean his paw. He would just after the first two times sit there and put his paw on my knee...

I would like to catch this rider some night and with a 8" 2x4 take a swing and knock him clear of his bike, to teach him a lesson! But I know it would be my luck that the Police would take me to either Jail or Immigration and be deported for trying to kill a Thai!! These 2 Dogs still roam our street... Everyone helps the old Lady who owns them, feed her boys! They both come down and visit all the fenced Dogs on our street. In case you are wondering I paid Our Neighbor, the Vet for his Emergency Services... He took the money and bought Old lady enough dog food for 6 months, the rest he has an account at his clinic for anything her "Boys (Dogs) need"!

What I am trying to say is that if truth be known, somewhere along the line a Farang tried to Hurt one or all of this pack, now they associate... Farang to getting hurt!

Sorry, but I am a bit confused by this story!

On the one hand:-

"Rider of Motorcycle is Thai man in his late 20's to middle 30"s. I found out why this was happening as I stopped him from Beating dog one evening. He said ever since I hit this dog with motorcycle, "I think I kill him", he always try to bite me......"

And on the other:-

"What I am trying to say is that if truth be known, somewhere along the line a Farang tried to Hurt one or all of this pack, now they associate... Farang to getting hurt!"

???

2 hours ago, edwardflory said:

I always talk to all dogs I meet in a friendly voice, " Hello puppy, how is your day going".  The reaction varies from a faster tail wag, to just a glance. Never any trouble in 5 years, many different cities and dogs

Love it. I tried that once, but I got a better range of reactions from frantic tail wagging to them going for the throat.............:sad:

Dogs do not know what you are saying to them!

However that said (and yes, being serious now) what they do recognize is tone of voice, body language and state of mind. If you are scared, angry, happy, etc they will pickup on that. Enhance your happy, confident mood with treats and you are half way to becoming a dog trainer using positive methods....................:thumbsup:

But never take them for granted and always be aware that dogs act differently in the pack than when they are by themselves.

7 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

dogs can tell if you are fearful and become more aggressive.

i have been in Thailand three years and have never had a single problem with soi dogs because I don't do anything aggressive. and they remember you and respond accordingly.

and after feeding the soi dogs on my street some hotdogs they love me now. The Thais are amazed as the dogs run to me with tails wagging. I know this run contrary to expats thinking who hate soi dogs. And if you think the dogs don't know you hate them or fear them, even at a distance, you are wrong.

Try riding a bicycle past them.

The problem with calling is throwing the baby out with the bath water.... 

We are talking about domesticated dogs vs wild animals....

now one gets into what is/becomes a wild or dangerous dog(s)? Strict criteria needs to be generated and followed....

In the state of California, it has clear written protocol on assessing dog behavior with appropriate action plans for each classification....

dogs rely on the sense of smell and the innate ability to read fear in people or pose danger to them...ride your bike slowly with confidence and no direct eye contact and 98% will back down/lose interest....

to the fool who rides fast in a get away plan....

Edited by cardinalblue

Feeding soi dogs is not a good idea as it encourages them to breed more and therefore more soi dogs. Yes farangs smell or look different, many dogs will bark at them. Nearly got attacked by a pack in Bangkok, not being aggressive or anything just walking along a road, fortunately there were some Thai construction workers nearby that shooed them away. Picking up a stone can work but not always.

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

and after feeding the soi dogs on my street some hotdogs they love me now. The Thais are amazed as the dogs run to me with tails wagging. I know this run contrary to expats thinking who hate soi dogs. And if you think the dogs don't know you hate them or fear them, even at a distance, you are wrong.

I approach this a little differently, however still using treats from my kitchen, and the dogs run, but away from me. I throw vinegar on them, aiming for the eyes. They never <deleted> with me twice. A spot of vinegar on their fur or face is effective, but in the eyes they have something to think about for half an hour or so. Does no permanent damage.

Edited by LawrenceN
To improve readability

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

dogs can tell if you are fearful and become more aggressive.

i have been in Thailand three years and have never had a single problem with soi dogs because I don't do anything aggressive. and they remember you and respond accordingly.

And where are those lovely soi dogs shitting out the hot dogs you give them?

54 minutes ago, davidstipek said:

If he hit the dog with his motorbike, the was in the dam street and needs sorting out. They cause so much harm and shit everywhere. 

Tell the old lady to keep her dogs on her land and to live among the shit they excrete, then all will be ok.

3 hours ago, imagemaestro said:

I have experienced the phenomena of soi dogs attacking foreigners only.  I suspect it is because we "smell" differently to the locals due to diet or genetics.  Canines respond to strangers with barking and rushing behaviour ( in aggressive ones biting).

The average Thai response is what I find odd.   It is either indifference or amusement.  There is no or rarely any attempt to stop or control the dog or dogs. I have sometimes suspected encouragement.  The dogs undisciplined, restrained or encouraged by amusement or otherwise becomes programmed into the behaviour.

see/smell/sense foreigner = rush, bite attack      conduct unchecked or encouraged        repeat

Of course until they meet me.  Large walking stick and spray and willing to use it on them.... and angry owners if need be.

and quite to the contrary, beach dogs will be entirely docile with foreigners staying on their beach, but chase any unknown thai or burmese off the beach.

29 minutes ago, malibukid said:

dogs need to be vaccinated and licensed in Thailand. a 30 day grace period and than off to China

Shipping them off to China and Vietnam was the best thing going, then the do-gooders made a big fuss and got that trade stopped. But turning the filthy barking biting defecating mongrels into jerky and sausages is a great idea. 

Thais are wrong about the dogs only attacking farang. Barking dogs will bark at all strangers. I've seen it a thousand times.  Thais want to believe that hocus pocus like they want to believe in ghosts.  

Thais should learn how to control dogs.  I'm a farang and I know how to control dogs I own, and often I can control dogs that I don't own.  The police who can't tell which dogs are barkers/attackers are a$$h0les.   They couldn't figure out how to play bingo, let alone figure out how to gauge whether dogs are barkers.

Shipping them off to China and Vietnam was the best thing going, then the do-gooders made a big fuss and got that trade stopped. But turning the filthy barking biting defecating mongrels into jerky and sausages is a great idea. 

The meatballs they sell really are the dogs <deleted>.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

There is not enough room on this site to name all the locations in Thailand which have lots and lots of mongrel wild dogs that often bite tourists, they belong to no one.  In my experience here are a few places I have experienced the problem, Nong Khai (real bad), Chiang Mia, Ban Phai, Rayong, Hue Hin, Cha-am(really really very bad, hundreds)  and more. These are just a few places I've stayed in.  I like to go for a 6 km walk around town each morning as I do back in Australia.  I will not give up so I take a good whacking stick, wear good kicking shoes and a pocket full of throwing rock as standard equipment ...Cha-am where I stay mostly has several hundred. " we will never give up? we will fight them in the hills and in the streets, we will fight them on the beaches we will never give in to Thailand's mongrel dogs" once said by a famous Englishman...(sort of)...Thais think it's funny when tourists get bitten by these inbred wild mongrel dogs.   Some infected with rabies.

Edited by David Walden

3 hours ago, sandemara said:

A bit of reo rod about a half-metre  or so long,, a taped rubber handgrip. Hung on a belt loop, ready to menace these uncontrolled  pests as soon as they start acting up. Ignore "owners" and protect yourself from rabies or other diseases they carry. A can of insect/ant spray deters. So does an ammonia solution in a water pistol right into the animal's (or  protesting owner's) face).. A length of black rubber irrigation hose  whacked on the ground can also .startle. I like dogs but hate irresponsible, ignorant owners who turn their "pets" into public menaces for their own amusement. If an owner doesn't like you defending yourself, offer to call the police on his behalf immediately. He can explain to police why he shouldn't face an appropriate fine.

How about a tazer gun followed by a small procedure with a Stanley knife?