Extradition of Vorayuth moves a slow step forward

snoop1130

Extradition of Vorayuth moves a slow step forward

By Jessada Jantarak 
The Nation

c4ef22b7d4f05d63c44fde9acba2d3d9.jpeg

Police have made little progress in efforts to extradite Red Bull heir Vorayuth “Boss” Yoovidhya to face charges related to a much-publicised fatal hit-and-run accident in 2012.

Translations of the investigation report are now ready start the extradition process.

Vorayuth, a grandson of Red Bull co-founder Chaleo Yoovidhya, made headlines five years ago for allegedly running over a junior police officer in Bangkok’s Thonglor area, dragging the victim’s body under his Ferrari for several metres, and then speeding away. 

Earlier this year, Vorayuth managed to sneak out of Thailand just days before his case went to the court. Thai authorities have since been criticised for perceived failure to strictly enforce laws against the billionaire suspect.

Criticism grew after a senior prosecutor revealed recently that Thonglor Police Station had still not submitted the translations of its investigation report to initiate the extradition request. 

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt General Sanit Mahathavorn on Friday said: “The translations were forwarded to the National Police Office’s Foreign Affairs Division on Thursday.” 

He said the next step was for the National Police Office to contact the Office of the Attorney-General to proceed further with the extradition. 

Dismissing suggestions that police shielded the super rich, Sanit, said: “I can assure you that police enforce laws equally. Some cases may face delays but we will improve on that.”

Sanit refused to comment on the National Anti-Corruption Commission’s (NACC) decision to investigate seven commissioned police officers for allegedly trying to help Vorayuth out of his legal trouble. 

Among them are Pol Maj General Kris Piakaew, a former chief of the Metropolitan Police Division 5, and Pol Colonel Chumpol Pumpuang, a former superintendent of the Thonglor Police Station.

The statute of limitations for several of Vorayuth’s alleged offences – speeding and reckless driving causing property damages – has already expired. 

Currently, Vorayuth stands accused of reckless driving that resulted in death and failing to stop to assist his victim. The former has a 15-year statute of limitation, which ends in September 2027, while the latter’s statute of limitations will expire on September 3.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30321431

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-7-21

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets see just how long it takes to translate and get it in the system so the scum cam be arrested and brought back for justice, thats if they actually do chase him and not keep losing him

Edited by seajae

7 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt General Sanit Mahathavorn on Friday said: “The translations were forwarded to the National Police Office’s Foreign Affairs Division on Thursday.” 

sure; but the real problem is there is still no law in thailand; only after media scrutiny is ANYTHING done; or perceived to be done; bet there are a raft of police associated with this driving mercedes

Just watch; it will be one step forward and two back as this effluent stays ahead by switching the country he is in just before an arrest request is issued to where he is now.  Interpol need to be on the case but they will deliberately avoid that !

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/translation-police-documents-boss-extradition-done The OAG will send the request for Mr Vorayudh’s extradition to the country where the fugitive stays.  He did not mention the country by its name, saying only that the country has an extradition treaty with Thailand.

Edited by Rimmer
Giant fonts

The only time there is any form of progress at all in this case is when the media ask questions, and without the pressure created by this and by social media I think we all know this case would have been cremated around the same time as the victim.

Yet another example of how important it is for Thailand to resist the attempts by the junta to increase restrictions on free speech.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

I am beginning to think that they aren't trying their hardest. :shock1:

Let me try and rephrase that.

" I have always thought they never try their hardest when it comes to this type of situation involving the rich and connected."

They nearly always succeed when the suspect is a nobody or has little resources to defend themselves. Sad but true.

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

I am beginning to think that they aren't trying their hardest. :shock1:

Their hardest???

They aren't even trying.

This case will go on and on and on and on and on and on....

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Sanit, said: “I can assure you that police enforce laws equally.

Such a bare faced lie. Police go out stopping bikes regularly. I followed a policeman on a bike and saw a car nearly knock him off (crossing over to our side of the road because she was texting on her mobile) and all he did was stare at her driving past and then take off.

No helmet - instant retribution.

Dangerous driving, driving without due care and attention - no problem.

Every bloody day!

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Sanit refused to comment on the National Anti-Corruption Commission’s (NACC) decision to investigate seven commissioned police officers for allegedly trying to help Vorayuth out of his legal trouble. 

why ? why refused to comment ? doesnt he understand the issue ? perhaps he does not understand that , as a public official, paid by us, he has a duty to be informed and comment , when so asked

34 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

why ? why refused to comment ? doesnt he understand the issue ? perhaps he does not understand that , as a public official, paid by us, he has a duty to be informed and comment , when so asked

Have big power behind stop vorayuth go jail. If some small police do something for make vorayuth go jail. Big problem for small police. Cannot stay Thailand anymore. Already have Thai police run away to Australia because he do good job. System just be like this. Not good I hope one day change for fair. Long time though

15 hours ago, seajae said:

lets see just how long it takes to translate and get it in the system so the scum cam be arrested and brought back for justice, thats if they actually do chase him and not keep losing him

Can some people simply not make a statement or ask a question without including the word scum or scum b - - ?.......It's like like they're jumping out of their seat at looking for an opportunity.

14 hours ago, z42 said:

I am not at all happy that citizens of my home country are being forced to live alongside foreign scumbags

Spoken like a real Thai!!! (Especially a Thai in Pattaya or Phuket!!!)

Dismissing suggestions that police shielded the super rich, Sanit, said: “I can assure you that police enforce laws equally. Some cases may face delays but we will improve on that.”

Unfortunately, their actions in the past tend to support the notion that the police and the judicial system do in fact shield the 'super rich' unless there is a political agenda to do otherwise.  In this case, it seems the entire system is shielding a 'super rich' person who is patently guilty of manslaughter.  

It reminds me of the old Communist system: "We're all equals comrade, but some of us are more equal than others."

Edited by connda

14 minutes ago, impulse said:

They may actually make it to the statute of limitations.

Not just the September, 2017 one, they may make the entire 15 years.

I'd put money on it, figuratively speaking of course.  :smile:

If I actually placed a bet on this, no doubt the justice system would chase me down and prosecute me to the full extent of the law.  And Lordy, don't even think of placing coins on their railroad tracks. It would become a cultural imperative to haul you before a judge for swift punishment.  Or climb on the moat wall in Chiang Mai without your shirt on?  There'd be an APB out for every cop in Northern Thailand to arrest you.
But if you are the heir of the Red Bull fortune and run over a cop......... :sad:

All one needs to do are comparisons like these to understand the larger joke. Unfortunately it's not a funny joke.  :sleep:

Edited by connda

It is a step forward because it's hit the media attention. However, I can bet the accused has left the country where the extradition would be enacted and moved elsewhere. I understand Thailand has such an agreement with 14 countries, which leaves 181 countries where he can reside. More to the point, apart from UK and Belgium, he can live in up to 40+ countries in Europe/Scandinavia.

So, on balance, he can remain free as he hasn't been charged for any crime in Thailand. Which begs the question, why didn't the jet-setting monk avoid the extradition?