Ford’s Ranger pickup hits record sales

Ford’s Ranger pickup hits record sales

By The Nation

The Ford Ranger pickup truck has achieved record sales in the first half of 2017, underscoring its popularity in the highly competitive mid-size pickup truck segment across Asia Pacific.

Retail sales of the Ranger during the first six months rose more than 21 per cent year on year to a record 63,525 vehicles, Ford Motor Company revealed on Wednesday.

Australia leads Ranger sales volumes in Asia Pacific, with sales for the first half of the year rising almost 19 per cent to a record 21,638 vehicles, maintaining Ford’s leadership position in the 4x4 truck segment.

In New Zealand, Ranger continues to be the number one best-selling vehicle overall, pulling further away from the pack with sales in the first half of 2017 growing 24 per cent to the highest retail sales volume of 4,980 vehicles.

Thailand saw the fastest sales growth for the Ranger with a 51-per-cent jump over the previous year with 20,230 vehicles sold in the first half of 2017, giving it a market share of 11.7 per cent. Growth has been driven in large part by demand across all Ranger variants.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/business/30321881

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-7-26

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Don't see what there is to bitch about, since Toyota sold the same amount of pick ups in Thailand alone, as Ford did in the whole of Asia Pacific

https://www.marklines.com/en/statistics/flash_sales/salesfig_thailand_2017

According to your link, Toyota pick up sales are down more than 9% compared to last year. Ford pick up sales are up 44% !!!

Get in Ranger :)

5 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

According to your link, Toyota pick up sales are down more than 9% compared to last year. Ford pick up sales are up 44% !!!

According to my link Toyota sold 63.105 Pick ups in Thailand and Ford sold 23.877 Pick ups.

If you sell 1 pick up in 2016 and 2 pick ups in 2017, sales are up 100%, but mean FA

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

You seems to be a mathematic Genius:cheesy:

17 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

According to my link Toyota sold 63.105 Pick ups in Thailand and Ford sold 23.877 Pick ups.

If you sell 1 pick up in 2016 and 2 pick ups in 2017, sales are up 100%, but mean FA

In light of the recent losses in the local markets, Toyota are bringing out a few refinements on certain pickups and SUV's to include larger rear-view and wing mirrors.

The Ford Ranger is the best looking in and out truck on the market, thats why sales are booming, and the new Revo is a disaster, few can be seen on the road.

Edited by inThailand
fat fingers

5 hours ago, inThailand said:

The Ford Ranger is the best looking in and out truck on the market, thats why sales are booming, and the new Revo is a disaster, few can be seen on the road.

you cannot be serious, such a bulbous old fashioned  mid eighties design. where I live I would say 5% Ford, 75% Toyota 15% Mitsubishi and 5% the rest.

21 minutes ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

you cannot be serious, such a bulbous old fashioned  mid eighties design. where I live I would say 5% Ford, 75% Toyota 15% Mitsubishi and 5% the rest.

It took Toyota Hilux about 20 years to out sell Isuzu DMax by pricing it lower. Now almost 15 years later after resting on their lorals the Ford Ranger is making an impact on their market share.

Are you saying the Revo is better looking than the Ranger?  

40 minutes ago, inThailand said:

It took Toyota Hilux about 20 years to out sell Isuzu DMax by pricing it lower. Now almost 15 years later after resting on their lorals the Ford Ranger is making an impact on their market share.

Reliability regarding a work horse I would say out weighs looks...

But saying that, I think Toyota has moved away from what a truck should look like where as Ford has stayed with a Tonka Toy look....Suppose it's what's an individual wants...

A "hey I am hunky" or "Hey I am different"......:stoner:

2 hours ago, inThailand said:

yes head and shoulders better, much more modern

6 hours ago, transam said:

Reliability regarding a work horse I would say out weighs looks...

But saying that, I think Toyota has moved away from what a truck should look like where as Ford has stayed with a Tonka Toy look....Suppose it's what's an individual wants...

A "hey I am hunky" or "Hey I am different"......:stoner:

And then there's those simply gagging to place a deposit to make sure they have the first Mercedes Benz pickup in the moobahn and ended up being wait-listed for a Navara lookalike.

7 hours ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

"...bulbous, old fashioned mid eighties design..."

1980ford.jpg.f184d1ccaea5352684ce408b9f044333.jpg

Ford

1980chevy.jpg.9fb9143c3ca5d494ed0b2c2ebb0639ab.jpg

Chevy

1980dodge.jpg.ae7a39e9dead94ac3a83ed6ffbc53a28.jpg

Dodge

1980toyota.jpg.1b328c9a35a23277bb53b23f08daa477.jpg

and Toyota.

You called it sir.

Here in Phuket the white Wildtrak is quite popular with Thais and Farangs. I do not know one farang who has bought a Revo, but many who bought the Ranger normally the WT. Among farangs it seems the Ranger is the preferred choice over Revo or the D-Max. Personally, I like the Vigo over the Revo.

Even in Isaan the locals are buying the Ranger. Years ago they would have never considered one.

4 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

Good sales doesn't quite mean proven reliability. Give it 10-20 yrs.

Yep, we only hear a snip-it of info of Ford probs here and not from Thai folk. If it transpires there are faults showing up nationwide with the locals then for sure they will head back to the trusted reliability that they know about, Toyota and Isuzu... 

We also don't hear Thai folks problems with Isuzu and Toyota here... Don't tell me that they don't have problems :)

Thais don't buy for reliability, they buy whatever everyone else is buying. Hence they are now buying Fords...

Its just trends... It will be another one in 5 yrs time

7 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

We also don't hear Thai folks problems with Isuzu and Toyota here... Don't tell me that they don't have problems :)

Thais don't buy for reliability, they buy whatever everyone else is buying. Hence they are now buying Fords...

Its just trends... It will be another one in 5 yrs time

I don't agree with that..Being here quite a while and knowing many folk over the years l have kept my ears open to stuff. One thing I know for certain is the locals do not like spending unnecessary cash, that's why they stuck to Isuzu and Toyota for a rides longevity with little hassle. Just wait till the Ranger gets older and a back street guy spends to long time changing the oil, or puts mineral oil in it....Fun and games ahead....:sad:

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

Locals where you are maybe... From what I have seen, they will put themselves in big debt just to be seen in the newest "ride"... 

The newest cool "ride" being the Ranger :)

They have done that for years buying a Toyota...:smile:

Our lads bird has a 2.2 Ranger, he drove it to our place, first thing he said was..."It's a 2.2 :sad:"..

I reckon Ford will stock up on 3.2 badges to save a lot of faces....ashamed-smiley-emoticon.png.934890f6b5cc7f76ae94cc9a847a2efa.png