The Bangkok Mall

Requiem

Hi!

Does anyone live around Udomsuk and know what the progress has been with The Bangkok Mall?

I'm interested in renting around there, but if there's no mall about to be built, I might have to look elsewhere.

From what I found online they say it should be opened around 2018. Do you have more inside info on it?

I worked in Central City Tower for a while and heard the story of the super giant Mall years ago... 

It seems like a myth, and meanwhile they're pushing some large upgrades to MegaBangna which has quite a large area of land around it (a little too large to be relegated to parking only).

A friend who lives nearby and can see the site from his condo says they still seem to be soil testing...still a lot of structures on the property to be demolished but there is activity on the site daily..

It does look like it will happen unless there is some kind of economic calamity.  There is currently an overhead walkway being built from Udom Suk to the mall site.  From what my friend understands, this is mostly funded by the mall developers so doubtful it would be being built if the project was in doubt. Best guess:2020, maybe 21.

18 hours ago, dddave said:

A friend who lives nearby and can see the site from his condo says they still seem to be soil testing...still a lot of structures on the property to be demolished but there is activity on the site daily..

It does look like it will happen unless there is some kind of economic calamity.  There is currently an overhead walkway being built from Udom Suk to the mall site.  From what my friend understands, this is mostly funded by the mall developers so doubtful it would be being built if the project was in doubt. Best guess:2020, maybe 21.

Me & a couple guys owned a studio condo in one of the bldgs, we were forced to sell in fall 2014 because "They were building the biggest Mall in Asia" there - that bldg has been torn down.....no matter they gave us a good price on the place, we bought in 2002.

Like everything else in Thailand. It all happens tomorrow. What is Thai for manana?

Biggest mall in the world, end of corruption, road safety reforms, democratic elections, elimination of prostitution, honest government officials, intelligent military officers, etc. etc.

16 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Me & a couple guys owned a studio condo in one of the bldgs, we were forced to sell in fall 2014 because "They were building the biggest Mall in Asia" there - that bldg has been torn down.....no matter they gave us a good price on the place, we bought in 2002.

How were you forced to sell? Its a condo a private developer cannot force you to sell. For a condo to be dissolved you have to have 100% unanimous decision for all owners, which given most condos cannot even get 20% to a meeting seems highly unlikely, coupled with the fact you would never get 100% agreeing on dissolving or a price.

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

How were you forced to sell? Its a condo a private developer cannot force you to sell. For a condo to be dissolved you have to have 100% unanimous decision for all owners, which given most condos cannot even get 20% to a meeting seems highly unlikely, coupled with the fact you would never get 100% agreeing on dissolving or a price.

They sold the grounds , and the lawyer told us, the Mall was going to be built, the bldg's torn down, best to sell now or the Govt could take the bldg's in a 'Imminent Domain' category and we would get peanuts - the Mall developers offered us more than what they were worth, so we all agreed and sold out - the bldg was insignificant in the big scope of things, only 22 Condo's.......we took the money and ran.........glad we did.

This is the age of on-line shopping and malls are a dying breed (yes even here in Thailand).  There is a good article on this subject in one of today's newspapers.  Basically even those built are converting to change to at least 30% non retail in attempt to survive and most are delaying or have no plans for new large malls.

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

They do still have an office there.  

I doubt it will ever happen.

This huge project is still happening, The Mall group is waiting for the EIA approval. Construction is not due to begin until 2018. 

Don't forget that this will be a diverse mixed development with a large hotel, office towers, Condo towers with 500 units, serviced apartments (650+), family leisure park. It is meant to be a 'mini city' and the shopping centre is only around 25% of the project I believe. There is also scope for further office/condo tower expansion in the future to make it more self contained. 

Also, The Bus Company is moving the Eastern Bus Terminal from Ekkamai to a 7.5rai plot of land immediately adjacent to this project on the east side in the next few years.

The project will also provide greater impetus to approval the future BTS line from Bang Na along Bang Na-Trat rd to the airport (future T3) in 5-10yrs time.

The head of the group was recently interviewed on the Wonder Women program. Watch from 23 mins onwards and you can hear her vision for the project while she shows investors to the site, 

Not sure the city needs another mall - isn't The Coast and Mega just up the road?  But once the land has been acquired and the EIA approved, these developments can go up fast.  I used to pass Asoke on my way to work, and it felt like they started work one morning, and by the time I got back from the office in the evening, Terminal 21 was open.

2 hours ago, Lakegeneve said:

This huge project is still happening, The Mall group is waiting for the EIA approval. Construction is not due to begin until 2018. 

Don't forget that this will be a diverse mixed development with a large hotel, office towers, Condo towers with 500 units, serviced apartments (650+), family leisure park. It is meant to be a 'mini city' and the shopping centre is only around 25% of the project I believe. There is also scope for further office/condo tower expansion in the future to make it more self contained. 

Also, The Bus Company is moving the Eastern Bus Terminal from Ekkamai to a 7.5rai plot of land immediately adjacent to this project on the east side in the next few years.

The project will also provide greater impetus to approval the future BTS line from Bang Na along Bang Na-Trat rd to the airport (future T3) in 5-10yrs time.

The head of the group was recently interviewed on the Wonder Women program. Watch from 23 mins onwards and you can hear her vision for the project while she shows investors to the site, 

Great, I sure hope it all goes as planned sounds like it could be awesome.

If I want to set up shop in Thailand, I must first know a good Thai lawyer who can help me with it. And I should be prepared to put my trust in him and do as he says. I am not making this offer to you. This is what you must first take care of before planning to set up shop. Finding a good lawyer is crucial, getting one is tough. 

I think Thailand has been more successful than mall developers in a lot of western countries in making their malls family destinations, not just for shopping but for entertainment and a cool, and upscale place to hang out.  Mega Bang Na is huge but go there on a Saturday or Sunday and the place is packed with lines at most restaurants.  Terminal-21 and Siam Paragon are the same.

I doubt this will change anytime soon.

I know that just in the last two years, my shopping habits have changed dramatically, from almost all bought personally in stores like Power Buy and Design Square to now,  80%  online, usually Lazada but now more frequently on retailers own websites.  I don't own a car and carrying goods on public transportation or in taxi's is pretty inconvenient ut I think Thais for the most part, still enjoy shopping and feeling the goods.

21 hours ago, dddave said:

I think Thailand has been more successful than mall developers in a lot of western countries in making their malls family destinations, not just for shopping but for entertainment and a cool, and upscale place to hang out.  Mega Bang Na is huge but go there on a Saturday or Sunday and the place is packed with lines at most restaurants.  Terminal-21 and Siam Paragon are the same.

I doubt this will change anytime soon.

Agreed, and I think a lot has to do with how most people get to the malls.  In the USA with everyone having access to a car, most restaurants are free standing, with easy street access and plenty of parking.  Makes little sense to pay the mall's high rents to be one of a gazillion eateries competing for mall-goers $$$.  (edit:  Though I suspect the mall rent differentials have been coming down of late)  Especially with huge mall parking lots forcing diners to walk a few hundred meters to get a seat at the trough.

With free A/C and MRT and BTS access, BKK malls draw them in and the eateries just do the skinning.  Have to say, though- I wouldn't want to be one of those uber-trendy kiosks trying to sell anything.  I've sat in T21 and Siam restaurants for an hour at lunch and dinner (busiest times of day) and watched some of the kiosks go without a single customer.  I've concluded that they're either laundering money, or hobbies that the husbands fund to keep the wives from having too much free time for credit card mischief.  That's been partially confirmed by some of my co-workers who had their own kiosks at one time before they went bust and came to work for us.

Edited by impulse

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

Agreed, and I think a lot has to do with how most people get to the malls.  In the USA with everyone having access to a car, most restaurants are free standing, with easy street access and plenty of parking.  Makes little sense to pay the mall's high rents to be one of a gazillion eateries competing for mall-goers $$$.  (edit:  Though I suspect the mall rent differentials have been coming down of late)  Especially with huge mall parking lots forcing diners to walk a few hundred meters to get a seat at the trough.

With free A/C and MRT and BTS access, BKK malls draw them in and the eateries just do the skinning.  Have to say, though- I wouldn't want to be one of those uber-trendy kiosks trying to sell anything.  I've sat in T21 and Siam restaurants for an hour at lunch and dinner (busiest times of day) and watched some of the kiosks go without a single customer.  I've concluded that they're either laundering money, or hobbies that the husbands fund to keep the wives from having too much free time for credit card mischief.  That's been partially confirmed by some of my co-workers who had their own kiosks at one time before they went bust and came to work for us.

Actually motorcycles do not require much parking space and there are more than 20 million in Thailand.  Not to mention that most eating is done at sidewalk tables or shophouse rather than malls.  But yes - about the only place with many paying customers in a mall will be the restaurant or entertainment venue.  Otherwise they serve mostly as meeting places to enjoy the free cool air.  Expect most will fail unless they make effort to become entertainment centers of some type.  Most do not offer shopping value at the high costs involved to maintain.