Black-clad Yingluck cuts a relaxed figure at Supreme Court

webfact

2 minutes ago, JAG said:

Or possibly end up being chased down the road by the rest of the country...

This will at least give us a chance to find out how fast one of those fancy new Chinese made APCs will go on the motorway to the airport!

"UK members may remember 'Upstairs, Downstairs' which was the norm in England in 1900's, fortunatly no longer, "

Pardon me for asking...

In the UK, when dealing with the Royalty, doesn't the 'Upstairs, Downstairs'  exist?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ravip said:

"UK members may remember 'Upstairs, Downstairs' which was the norm in England in 1900's, fortunatly no longer, "

Pardon me for asking...

In the UK, when dealing with the Royalty, doesn't the 'Upstairs, Downstairs'  exist?

Terrible television program but popular as they could laugh at the rubbish

Do you not remember Princess Anne having to got to court a few times for speeding? and she got fined. The princess was fined £400, ordered to pay £30 costs and given five penalty points on her driving licence plus two other speeding fines for being a crazy bitch and driving at 90+ miles an hour in a 70mph zone. On October 22 1990 she was fined £150 and banned from driving for one month by magistrates in Stow-on-the-Wold, Gloucestershire, after admitting two speeding offences.

Brits can if they want say what they feel and often do, but never go to jail for it.

Guest Jerry787

The law doesn't not admit ignorance ! 

If you are a prime minister, you muxt check all your acts and if see any issue stop and investigate it 

if any wrong doing as prime minister you must report to law agencies to investigaste the issue and punish any possible person who is wrongdoing their job .

she may not be part of the scam , but she guilty not to have stopped or investigated it , no excuses ! 

Corruption in Thailand in every corner and often almost out in the open.

The Shinawats are the epitome of modern day Thai corruption.

Her brother is also a mass murderer, tax evader and convicted criminal on the run.

His sister was a politician for about a month before being promoted to PM with no experience of anything except being rich. Her agenda was simple:

Push a smoke screen policy of helping the poor farmers while fleecing them, and get big brother an amnesty when nobody is watching.

Lock her up, give her money to the farmers that were cheated and throw away the key!

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback

18 hours ago, halloween said:

So would that be a good thing or not? Should politicians be held accountable for the funds they are entrusted to manage, or should they have the right to foolishly, negligently and corruptly squander taxpayers money?

Should politicians be held personally liable every time they make a mistake?  Wasn't there a parliament that also approved the rice bill? Perhaps if there was a case of obvious graft and corruption there should be some grounds for some liability. I admit I do not know much about the situation, but from what I hear this woman has much backing from the people, perhaps not the elites but the worker class. 

I read what I think was a fair summary of the rice subsidy thing.  It really was a poor plan at best.  It had what sadly I have come to see as a common Thai mentality. Try to corner a market, take money from some people, in this case the treasury to try and make money on some scheme.  The macro economics look suspect to me.  Then the Indians started selling rice on the markets again so no big world wide or local increase in rice prices came.  So in retrospect obviously not a good scheme. But, where was the corruption?  Did the money that was supposed to go to farmers go somewhere else, like politicians, Friends, Shinawatras?  Was there ever an accounting?  Were there any other officials or people brought to trial that is known of or publicized?

1 hour ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Corruption in Thailand in every corner and often almost out in the open.

The Shinawats are the epitome of modern day Thai corruption.

Her brother is also a mass murderer, tax evader and convicted criminal on the run.

His sister was a politician for about a month before being promoted to PM with no experience of anything except being rich. Her agenda was simple:

Push a smoke screen policy of helping the poor farmers while fleecing them, and get big brother an amnesty when nobody is watching.

Lock her up, give her money to the farmers that were cheated and throw away the key!

Well you can't blame her for being promoted or elected or appointed. The People supposedly did that.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Yingluck in buoyant mood outside court after giving closing statement 

By The Nation

ee8c0bbc0e2421709862145a7c834b74.jpg

A supporter hold a placard in solidarity with former prime minister Yiingluck Shinawatra in front of the Supreme Court Tuesday morning.

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra remained on good spirit after delivering her closing statement at the Supreme Court on Tuesday morning, in a case linked to her then-government’s controversial rice-pledging scheme.

Dressed in black, Yingluck walked from the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division on Political Office Holders at about 10.45am, after taking about an hour to read the statement.

She smiled as she approached her supporters, with hundreds on hand to give her moral support, and she shook their hands. The crowd kept shouting, “Yingluck, fight on.”

She briefly spoke to the media and said thank you.

Yingluck was charged with negligence for allegedly failing to prevent corruption and irregularities in the rice-pledging scheme.

But she insisted she is innocent and had only tried to help farmers.

Her lawyer said her closing statement has 20 pages and covers six aspects. 

Hundreds of crowd control police from the Metropolitan Police Bureau were deployed at the Supreme Court. Fences were erected in front of the court. 

The Supreme Court’s Criminal Division on Political Office Holders is set to deliver its verdict on August 25. 

Yingluck would have the right to appeal to the Supreme Court if the verdict goes against her, provided the draft bill on criminal procedures against political office-holders is enacted in time to cover her case.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30322433

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-01

Prime minister in her heart?  More likely in both of their dreams!  Someone who spends the time she should be attending meetings as chair person but is overseas shopping is a nightmare CEO.  The woman may be beautiful but she was a disaster as a PM.  Don't confuse looks with performance.

14 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

So you admit then that she was negligent? That there is no defense against not bothering to even turn up to chair the meetings; or take any actions despite receiving many warnings? And not apparently producing any accounts is a tad negligent?

Why haven't her legal team produced the accounts, if they have them and  then pressed the audit and sales since topics?

We'll never know. But of course you and your mates can all dismiss it as a witch hunt, claim it really was a success, that the G2G deals weren't frauds etc etc. You only fool yourselves.

Her legal team requested a audit but was rejected by the General. So there was no real figure of actual loss or profit?

Baer, I have mates? That's nice to say.

Why is it you never back your statements with factual information. Your replies are construed to be from a Troll. This reply is utter gibberish. Try and challenge the readers.

18 hours ago, binjalin said:

Political as plain as can be.

Do you see the irony in Yingluck saying she was honest?

If the scheme helped the average Thai, helped the economy as she states, then she must have figures and accounts to support that assertion. Why hasn't she released them?

The scheme was corruption free, just like Yingluck said "her" government was. And what was she removed from office by a court for - corruption.

52 minutes ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Her legal team requested a audit but was rejected by the General. So there was no real figure of actual loss or profit?

Baer, I have mates? That's nice to say.

Why is it you never back your statements with factual information. Your replies are construed to be from a Troll. This reply is utter gibberish. Try and challenge the readers.

Good try at a wind up - again. (That's being kind as it's so transparent!).

Always beware of the troll who calls everyone else a troll. 

You never answer any questions, never provide any facts to support any assertions and employ the deflect, divert and try to ridicule practices so regularly employed by those seeking to show the Shins in a good light.

The only gibberish is your attempt to avoid answering any questions.

Simple question - is Yingluck guilty of negligence for appointing herself Chair and then not bothering to actually attend and chair the meetings?

Edited by Baerboxer

16 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Yeah, great actress. Tears and the usual drivel delivered with aplomb. Gotta giver her that. 

A politician you mean?

The shins will be back in one shape or another in the not too distant future. Can't keep buying useless weapons and selling whats left of the country to the Chinese without some sort of repercussions,and not just from the old supporters.

6 minutes ago, Thailand said:

A politician you mean?

The shins will be back in one shape or another in the not too distant future. Can't keep buying useless weapons and selling whats left of the country to the Chinese without some sort of repercussions,and not just from the old supporters.

No, not a politician. An actress who played the part the family wanted to a tee. 

Not the first, and not the last.

5 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Should politicians be held personally liable every time they make a mistake?  Wasn't there a parliament that also approved the rice bill? Perhaps if there was a case of obvious graft and corruption there should be some grounds for some liability. I admit I do not know much about the situation, but from what I hear this woman has much backing from the people, perhaps not the elites but the worker class. 

The Rice Scheme is obviously not a mistake, it was repeated from her brothers administration with absolutely no changes. Perhaps you need to read about the Rice Scheme under Thaksins administration how it was plague with corruption, different agencies from around the world have condemn it and call it a total failure.

Yingluck as the head of the Rice Scheme did not attend, not even one meeting. She said it was sustainable, but in the end they ran out of money to give farmers. She has the backing of farmers, but not when they ran out of money to give them, they had to borrow more. 

Many people also miss how the "Farmers Credit Card" scheme was promoted to give farmers credit so they can purchase farming supplies, but the problem is that you can only use the "Farmers Credit Card" at approved stores which many say cost more then what they can get at other normal stores. The scheme but farmers in more debt on purpose, so they will have to continue to rely on Rice Schemes like this, thinking they can get more money for rice, this turns into a vicious cycle of debt for the farmers which they can never get out of. If Thai politicians want to really help farmers, why not subsidies on farming supplies. The DEMS version of the rice scheme was the most sustainable.

I have said before if she gets out without jail she can ask for new elections, this will put the general in a very tight spot because no court could find him not guilty of a junta which would put him and others in jail. it is a bit like an old Australian saying which is better the frying pan or the fire. I wish the Thai people the best of luck

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

If the scheme helped the average Thai, helped the economy as she states, then she must have figures and accounts to support that assertion. Why hasn't she released them?

The scheme was corruption free, just like Yingluck said "her" government was. And what was she removed from office by a court for - corruption.

and Courts are, obviously, not political

9 minutes ago, johnarth said:

I have said before if she gets out without jail she can ask for new elections, this will put the general in a very tight spot because no court could find him not guilty of a junta which would put him and others in jail. it is a bit like an old Australian saying which is better the frying pan or the fire. I wish the Thai people the best of luck

The junta had that covered. She has been banned from Thai politics for 5 years by the junta selected NLA who find her guilty to the rice scheme even before any trial and conviction. The junta is paranoid of her popularity and pulling all the stop to keep her away from the next election which she will win easily. 

2 hours ago, binjalin said:

and Courts are, obviously, not political

they certainly operate differently to any judicial system that I've been involved with!

Who you are and whose currently pulling the strings definitely affects things. But I think that's the case in many countries. Not that that makes it right,.

Umh, I rather thought she was removed for abuse of her position, for appointing a relative to a senior post?

As I recall the chap she replaced had gone public and declared that notwithstanding the fact that he was a civil servant, and that her government was the legally constituted properly elected government, he didn't like them so was not prepared to follow their instructions...

So he was sacked.

Of course I may be wrong, I don't have your encyclopaedic recall of all her actions...