PM Prayut orders strict regulation on alcohol ban near schools

webfact

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was eating at John's Bar in Chiang Mai on Moon Muang and was surprised to see them refuse to serve alcohol during those hours. It is not near a school as far as I know. I have seen it at supermarkets not near schools. The prohibition has been in existence for many years. The enforcement ebbs and flows. Nothing new. But I don't understand the effectiveness. Their ID should be checked anyway (555) but if they really wanted it I'm sure the school kids could get alcohol. Better than the drugs they have access to.

So sad when ( a former PM) killed people for drugs like Duterte the kids shifted from weed to ice etc.

If this d/h thinks that enforcing a ban of this nature will solve the problems with the "out of control" Thai youth then he is delusional and living in cloud cuckoo land. They will get their booze and drugs from elsewhere ... probably with the confines of the education establishments themselves. First he needs to sort out the shambles of the Thai education system which seems encourage subversive behaviour if some of the latest "teacher inflicting punishment" horror stories are anything to go by. Again it is a knee jerk reaction without getting to the root cause of the problem which is his governments inability to exact any kind of meaningful legislation because they are too hell-bent on trying to destroy any kind of opposition to their illegal regime.

1 minute ago, elgenon said:

I was eating at John's Bar in Chiang Mai on Moon Muang and was surprised to see them refuse to serve alcohol during those hours. It is not near a school as far as I know. I have seen it at supermarkets not near schools. The prohibition has been in existence for many years. The enforcement ebbs and flows. Nothing new. But I don't understand the effectiveness. Their ID should be checked anyway (555) but if they really wanted it I'm sure the school kids could get alcohol. Better than the drugs they have access to.

So sad when ( a former PM) killed people for drugs like Duterte the kids shifted from weed to ice etc.

All bets have been off since John's brother retired from the police.  I, too was surprised they quit serving from 2-5.  Yuparaj school is kind of near.  There are a few farang run places back behind Wombat that are doing happy hour promos, too.

No more pressing issues?

Back when I grew up, there where at least two outlets, where you could buy alcohol - literally- across from my school.

And about 5 or 6 pubs, in a radius of 300 meters around the school!

No kid got drunk!

Guess why?

Education!

Not to forget that school kids intent on getting booze will obviously go the the places that DO serve alcohol - the further afield the ban (!) the further kids will go to get it.....

Or do Thai kids just think, "Damn! no alcohol nearby - I guess we cannot get any now!"..... Duh!!!

29 minutes ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

All bets have been off since John's brother retired from the police.  I, too was surprised they quit serving from 2-5.  Yuparaj school is kind of near.  There are a few farang run places back behind Wombat that are doing happy hour promos, too.

There was just a story on TV about Thai girls getting in trouble for promoting the consumption of alcohol. I would think Happy Hours would be viewed the same way. You never know.

31 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Anything for a negative comment. You need to think a little more broadly about community values.

But your negative comment about HuaHinHim's remarks is OK then?

If you can think of something positive the government has done you are welcome to offer such comment. Favourable comments about the military government are rare but always welcome and usually have a positive entertainment value.

I am trying to be positive.

1 hour ago, yasorab said:

Like that is going to stop them. They all have motor bikes don't they ?

but now the popo has axcess to 2 subs with retractable wheels ......dun dun dun dunnnnnn

5 hours ago, Suttisan said:

Wasn't there a ban within 1km of educational institutions a few years back? They seemed quite strict about it, for a couple of months. 

There has long been a restriction on selling alcohol within a km from an educational institution….. but it comes down to semantics and measurement. A joint selling alcohol near one gate of a campus near where I live is 1 km from the designated front gate.

Does the PM not realise that students all have motorcycles, or the means to use buses etc to travel wherever they need to buy alcohol if they want it, or can even walk further than 300m?

A ridiculous law, far better to kick the ass of the RTP and get them to check ALL establishments where students are likely to congregate and prosecute the lawbreakers. 

1 hour ago, ilovebkk12345 said:

Ya i remember that. Must of been the great dictator's idea on that too

Actually the ban of alcohol sales laws near schools were passed many years back, and the laws ignored and also very little attempt by the RTP to enforce the law, and several times over the years enforcement has been pushed hard by several community anti-alcohol groups.

For many years there was a Fxxxxx Mart store hard up against one fence of my uni in Bkk selling alcohol after the initial ban laws, many student groups and some professors conducted protests, all ignored by the franchise owner and the RTP.

Edited by scorecard

7 minutes ago, garbolino said:

Better CLOSE/REMOVE ALL 7 elevens from around schools then !!!???

There are four along the perimeter of CMU...they didn't sell during the last ban.  We were told TESCO fought it in court, then it came back, except for the one new one has never sold, nor the two on campus.  Mom/pop have been there fro 40 years, and they stopped...for about two hours.

46 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Actually the ban of alcohol sales laws near schools were passed many years back, and the laws ignored and also very little attempt by the RTP to enforce the law, and several times over the years enforcement has been pushed hard by several community anti-alcohol groups.

For many years there was a Fxxxxx Mart store hard up against one fence of my uni in Bkk selling alcohol after the initial ban laws, many student groups and some professors conducted protests, all ignored by the franchise owner and the RTP.

there are all kinds of various schools and universities spread out around the center/heart of BKK.

If the authorities ever enforced such a ban -- and they never have here --  there would be A  LOT of bars required to close, and even more places like 7-11s and such required to cease selling booze.

Originally, IIRC, they were talking about a restriction zone of 300 or 500 meters around any educational institution, though it was never entirely clear whether they meant only universities or all schools. But, for example, there is a big university (Srinakharinwirot) not far from Soi Cowboy, just for starters.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Most Thai University students are over the legal drinking age: they start at age 19 and finish four years later. Not difficult to do the sums.

The younger ones are supposedly catered for in the ridiculous 2pm to 5pm alcohol sales ban.

I wonder what incident has spurred Prayuth's latest declaration? It usually happens as a knee-jerk reaction.