Good quality grilled chicken, where to eat it or take away? What is a good quality chicken ?

bberrythailand

5 hours ago, tryasimight said:

No dirtier than any other farm animal. Many farm animals have antibiotics administered.

I think you are projecting your own prejudice.

I never use facebook.   

Sounds like I may have hit a nerve.

You perfectly know nothing, this is reaching ridiculous. Sorry but it's true.

8 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

If you could use internet for something else but facebook you would know that it's obviously the truth.

Pigs are dirty animals and are injected automatically antibiotics from the day they are born, and they also have many diseases.

You need to learn the difference between your own ill-conceived opinions and actual facts. 

The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.

-Leonardo da Vinci

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Chou Anou said:

OP, what you want to look for is "gai baan," which is the Thai term for "free range chicken."  It's all over the place, you just have to look a little.

Gai baan isn't Thai for free-range chicken, it's just the most common breed, little black hen, kept by most and left to wander round. Pain in the neck, shit everywhere and were always nicking stuff out of the kitchen. Personally I don't like the taste of gai baan chicken.

I let my Rhode Island Reds wander 'free-range' but they're not called gai baan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, grollies said:

Gai baan isn't Thai for free-range chicken, it's just the most common breed, little black hen, kept by most and left to wander round. Pain in the neck, shit everywhere and were always nicking stuff out of the kitchen. Personally I don't like the taste of gai baan chicken.

I let my Rhode Island Reds wander 'free-range' but they're not called gai baan.

Experts in junk food here are telling us that we are wrong...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2017 at 10:02 PM, pauleddy said:

Tesco chicken is the pits.

Of the few times I've developed severe food poisoning in LOS (the kind that lasts 3 busy days), twice was from Tesco chicken.  Yeah, should have learned from the first time, but a year later and a second chance from a different store -- bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt!

This may be more of a southern thing, in Chumphon there are a few people around the market that sell stewed whole chickens.  The same vendors also sell stewed pork pieces (mmmm, entrails!), so my guess is they're all cooked in the same pot.  The birds are usually plump and not overcooked, and are the meatier quality, different from the scrawnier variety that are called "fryers" in the US.  These vendors usually appear in the afternoon.  There's a woman who sets up her stall across the street the Big 1 store.  I want the heads removed, and it always gets a laugh when I do the finger-across-the neck gesture.

I think a lot of people here are mixing up two entirely different things:

--what something tastes like vs.

--how that something has been raised and whether it's been injected/raised with antibiotics, growth hormones and who knows what other kinds of chemicals.

I've had lots of Thai chicken that tastes and looks perfectly good. But that tells me nothing about how it's been raised and whether I'm getting dosed with chemicals when I eat the meat.

I've rarely seen any kind of restaurant or food shop in Thailand that promises its customers that their meats/produce is 100% free of growth hormone and/or antibiotics. And certainly not any of the chain shops or restaurants.

• Like 1

I very much like good chicken but chicken in Thailand has no taste.

I guess it has something to do with what the chicken are fed.

That being said, I noticed that it also has gotten worse in Europe. I bought a couple of chicken in France recently and they tasted like cardboard.

In Naklua, near Pattaya, some restaurants carry German grilled chicken on the menu and I think it is as good as chicken can get in Thailand, but all the yummy spices can not completely compensate for the inherent lack of taste.

I sometimes tried to make baked chicken wings in my oven using wings I bought at makro, but the problem was basically the same: no taste.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think a lot of people here are mixing up two entirely different things:

--what something tastes like vs.

--how that something has been raised and whether it's been injected/raised with antibiotics, growth hormones and who knows what other kinds of chemicals.

I've had lots of Thai chicken that tastes and looks perfectly good. But that tells me nothing about how it's been raised and whether I'm getting dosed with chemicals when I eat the meat.

I've rarely seen any kind of restaurant or food shop in Thailand that promises its customers that their meats/produce is 100% free of growth hormone and/or antibiotics. And certainly not any of the chain shops or restaurants.

17458384_791762347647567_285087204807382

Free range chicken rotisserie in Bangkok

French Rotisserie in Yen-Akart delivering mouth watering roasted Chicken. With no preservatives & no antibiotics, BIRDS offers Healthy organic food 

Delivery
Takes Reservations
Take Out
Walk-Ins Welcome

https://www.facebook.com/pg/BIRDSRotisserie/about/?ref=page_internal

Sabai Jai Gai on ekamai, make sure you choose the right one, they are popular and there are a lot of copycats around that area

they are flamed grilled

180 baht for around a 1.5kg chicken

Piri Piri chicken (similar to Nandos) double the price above, in 21, emporium and paragon

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, I appreciated your post on Birds earlier. That's part of the reason I said RARELY seen any shop or restaurant in Thailand promising chicken free of antibiotics and growth hormones.

Sorry TallGuy, I had forgotten that.  

21 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've rarely seen any kind of restaurant or food shop in Thailand that promises its customers that their meats/produce is 100% free of growth hormone and/or antibiotics.

But would it be true?  No way to tell.

Same with organic produce in the US, which is sold at a (sometimes ridiculous) premium.

You all come from USA right ? How can you even imagine that she shiitee that you call chicken and that is sold everywhere around Thailand is good ? I am not sure that my dogs would it eat...

So I understand that we are among good food experts here :-)

If somebody knows what is a real good chicken, please keep posting !

Keep in mind the largest chicken farming and poultry processing plants in Thailand are owned by Cargill, a giant USA agribusiness company.
  • Thanks 1

You can buy gai baan (free range/not factory farmed chicken) but it's not easy to find. You would have to ask round your locality.

My missus swears by 'gai baan' and wont eat 'gai pun'. Found mainly for sale in Thai markets it has the best meat. Its had a better life too before the chop.

I used to eat a whole chicken for lunch almost every day. The best ones are from your local shop around the corner.. at least for taste. 

I once went to a famous local restaurant with a Thai guy and ordered a grilled chicken. I was very disappointed, as it was mostly just bone and skin. I asked the guy, <deleted> is this? He explained to me that this is actually the high quality chicken because it's not filled with hormones like those fat ones. Any thoughts? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SS1 said:

I used to eat a whole chicken for lunch almost every day. The best ones are from your local shop around the corner.. at least for taste. 

I once went to a famous local restaurant with a Thai guy and ordered a grilled chicken. I was very disappointed, as it was mostly just bone and skin. I asked the guy, <deleted> is this? He explained to me that this is actually the high quality chicken because it's not filled with hormones like those fat ones. Any thoughts? 

Nothing to think about, this is absolutely the truth. GAI BAAN in Thai are free range chicken and because they can more and are not filled with hormones and other poisons, do not because as big as the 45 days chicken.

You guy is smart and I wish that more people understand this.