Pattaya cabbie knocks out foreign tourist who grabbed his shirt

webfact

6 minutes ago, TVGerry said:

Until a witness comes forward and says otherwise, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Likewise, we have people on this thread putting the blame solely on the taxi driver when the facts aren't out yet. This is Thaivisa, there's seldom a middle ground.

I can only go on my own experiance and knowledge. Most Thais,not all, will not go against another Thai, in support of  a Farang. Although I do know one who did? afterwards other Thais criticized him,asking bluntly "We are Thai people,why you help Farang,and not Thia person". As I say, not all Thais take that attitude, many just think, I'm keeping out of this. Same as many people in the west when they see(witness) a road traffic accident.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, TVGerry said:

Why? The tourist acted like a <deleted> and got punched out. I think wherever in the world you are, act like a punk, you get beaten like a punk.

Congratulation. You got the Skills to drive a Taxi in LOS:cheesy:

51 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I can only go on my own experiance and knowledge. Most Thais,not all, will not go against another Thai, in support of  a Farang. Although I do know one who did? afterwards other Thais criticized him,asking bluntly "We are Thai people,why you help Farang,and not Thia person". As I say, not all Thais take that attitude, many just think, I'm keeping out of this. Same as many people in the west when they see(witness) a road traffic accident.

In other words, you have no facts on what happened either. Therefore, everyone here is just speculating. Which is what we do on a forum.

The "victim" does not seem to be laying in a crosswalk...

What incentive does a taxi driver have to get out of the car?

That the driver hung around and waited for the police.

It has not been my experience that Thai will lie to favor the Thais.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

6 hours ago, TVGerry said:

Until there's a witness to what really happened, why not? I know I'd be pissed off too if someone hit my car, blocked it and grabbed me by my shirt. 

Erm? Exactly.....'If'...... Maybe wait for the other side of the story before finding the unconscious dood guilty? Just a thought......

On 8/11/2017 at 5:01 PM, NCC1701A said:

sounds like you are ready to drive a taxi in Thailand.

The cab driver should have done nothing but leave/get away. He should be held responsible for all hospital bills and stripped of his license to drive a taxi.

Lets hope the passenger does not suffer from any serious injury.

Not being pedantic, but the guy was not the passenger - he was a pedestrian who hit the cab - apparently.

How much if any of this is true ?. I wonder if he did grab the taxi driver's shirt or is this his excuse for punching the farangs lights out for crossing the road and making the taxi slow down or stop. In Thailand pedestrians are lower cast than wheeled vehicles.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The 'other' side of the story is missing... 

I've lost count of the times I'm trying to cross the road here and no one is giving way or even slowing slightly to let me cross. It become a game of chicken which angers me somewhat... 

It is entirely possible that the Foreigner was trying to cross the road and that the Taxi refused to allow this and instead of slowing passed dangerously close whereby the Foreigner kicked out or smaked the car... In response the incensed taxi driver got out and walloped the foreigner knocking him out... 

Of course, it is also entirely possible that the events reported by the Taxi driver are true and exact.

Until there are both sides of the story have been reported can we come up with a more realistic version of events, something more plausible. 

That said: With a Foreigner, likely to be drunk and a Taxi driver likely to be a typical taxi driver anything is possible....  but for sure, both have reacted to escalate a situation - it always takes two..  

I stood in the middle of the road on a Zebra crossing for several minutes in my little hick town here 2 days ago.  The first half was well clear so out I went because the other side looked hopeful.   But the first one or two vehicles sped up and blocked me in the middle.  God knows how many cars rushed straight past me til a guy in a really really old Isuzu truck stopped to let me get the rest of the way.  I wai'ed him!!!!  Defensive driving?  Considerate driving?  Get real!  TIT!!!

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

Not just the West! The reasons for not getting involved can be explained in  a few ways, but one reason is that it has been known for a bystander who phoned for an ambulance to be given a bill for the same if the victim won't pay or is not in a position to pay.

Edited by sambum

1 hour ago, Slotman said:

Erm? Exactly.....'If'...... Maybe wait for the other side of the story before finding the unconscious dood guilty? Just a thought......

Why don't you be a dear and also comment on all those on this thread who have already put the blame on the cabby without even knowing the facts? Just a thought....

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

The "victim" does not seem to be laying in a crosswalk...

What incentive does a taxi driver have to get out of the car?

That the driver hung around and waited for the police.

It has not been my experience that Thai will lie to favor the Thais.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

My experience has been the polar opposite. 

An old bird was on her scooter alongside the road yapping with her friends as old women do. She started to pull out and I swerved and would have missed her except my panniers and the fact I had hauled in the brakes.

I waited for the police and when they showed up her and her friends tried to say that I hit her bike while it was off the road. Which I pointed out to the copper was quite odd as it was sprawled in the middle of the lane (the fact her dinner made a nice splash and the shards of her headlamp assembly was there helped).

Having failed that they tried to say I intentionally aimed for her and did nothing to prevent the accident. Police asked where the skid marks were. I pointed to the big ABS sticker...

On 8/11/2017 at 9:27 AM, Dobredin Ghusputin said:

Clearly obstructing performance of a good deed in progress.

That poor cabbie was probably just going about his daily business returning lost handbags full of $$$$ and jewellery to their rightful owners.

Good on yer cabbie there are some real idiots about a swift left or right hook sorts them out !!

My experience has been the polar opposite. 

An old bird was on her scooter alongside the road yapping with her friends as old women do. She started to pull out and I swerved and would have missed her except my panniers and the fact I had hauled in the brakes.

I waited for the police and when they showed up her and her friends tried to say that I hit her bike while it was off the road. Which I pointed out to the copper was quite odd as it was sprawled in the middle of the lane (the fact her dinner made a nice splash and the shards of her headlamp assembly was there helped).

Having failed that they tried to say I intentionally aimed for her and did nothing to prevent the accident. Police asked where the skid marks were. I pointed to the big ABS sticker...

So it was determined you were at fault and you wer made to pay damages when it was clearly the old woman's fault. How much did you end up having to pay?

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

So it was determined you were at fault and you wer made to pay damages when it was clearly the old woman's fault. How much did you end up having to pay?

Nada. Evidence doesn't lie even though that group of people did...

On 8/11/2017 at 4:15 PM, Moonmoon said:

Economy is bad. Shirts are hard to come by. Don't grab others' shirts, they will protect it with their lives.

Bloke was lucky he got away with a Knockout punch. Could have been worse.

As it could have been for the cabbie, had he picked on the wrong foreigner.

On 11.8.2017 at 0:57 PM, Dave67 said:

If someone grabs your shirt around the neck area as indicated it would stretch it quite a bit he's not got even crease in it 

Yes, but this is subject to the fact that it actually happened this way - Nothing in the article confirm that...;)

"Anan got out to see what the problem was then he alleged that the foreigner grabbed him by the shirt."

Tell you what, go down to 2nd road and spend about 2 hrs (if you survive that long) just crossing the road, see how long it takes before you are either hit by a car or motorbike or have someone by the throat for going too fast and trying to run you over.

On 8/11/2017 at 3:01 AM, NCC1701A said:

The cab driver should have done nothing but leave/get away. He should be held responsible for all hospital bills and stripped of his license to drive a taxi.

If the story is correct and verified it was indicated that the foreigner block the vehicle from leaving?

On 11/08/2017 at 5:01 PM, NCC1701A said:

But f the punk was a Thai it would still be the foreigners fault

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:53 AM, smedly said:

2nd road is extremely dangerous to cross because drivers are speeding, it is right in the heart of the tourist scene and just like beach road should have traffic calming measures to slow the speed down, nobody should be doing more than 20kmph, what's the hurry, I have seen many incidents caused by speeding cars, I suspect that is exactly what happened here, this Farang was crossing the road and nearly go run over by a taxi driver driving like a lunatic.

It could be argued why try to cross the road - well there is only one way and we all know about the pedestrian lights and how effective they are so if you want to get across there is no other option, they need effective traffic calming in all these high density tourist areas.

To drivers on 2nd Road (and this includes foreigners on their rented bikes) empty pavement ahead is like the green light at a drag race event.   And if they spot a pedestrian trying to cross, it's like a red cape in front of a bull.  Pedestrians have to compete with this reckless attitude.  The drivers just can't stand "losing the race" to the pedestrian.  'Seen it so often I have very little doubt this was what brought this incident about.  But there is no recourse, esp. for a lowly farang.  Launching an assault on the Thai driver is incredibly bad headwork.

"Why cross the road"?   LOL   No kidding, I've actually seen that question posted from time to time whenever there's a vehicle- / traffic-related topic.