200 more immigration officials deployed at Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports

webfact

1 minute ago, realenglish1 said:

I get it You do not want to open the Thai lanes to Non O vista holders such as retirees and  Students

Too logical for you to do and would not look like you are trying to solve the problem

These visa holders have already been vetted so what's the problem ?

It might be that the people manning those booths have maybe... no 2nd languages?  

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

It might be that the people manning those booths have maybe... no 2nd languages?  

2 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Language is not the problem What questions do they need to ask If there is a question hand them of to a secondary inspection Stop making excuses like they do 

3 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Mostly I look for a lady in the booths as they are,  in my opinion are so much more efficient,

In 25 years of coming to and then residing in Thailand, and coming through immigration many times each year, only once have I received a smile, and that was from a female officer. The report above has the boss telling his officers that they should be polite to passengers. Why do they have to be told to be nice to people who have often spent a large amount of money to get to Thailand and are ready to spend much more in the Kingdom? It should be a given, as in other countries that don't feel a need to label themselves as a land of smiles. They just do it instead. But put anyone in any kind of uniform in Thailand and their eyes automatically look down their nose at anyone they have to deal with before treating them as vermin.

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

It seems quite suspicious that these 200 officers could be mobilized so suddenly. They must be missing somewhere else now. 

And by a miracle all these people suddenly drawn from around the country have no problem finding a place to live in Bangkok at short notice. Also quite suspicious, methinks.

12 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Oh great....  You have just added 200 people who thought they had paid their dues and were no longer required to work in a place that most immigration officers would like to avoid.... the airports in a congested boonie area.... 

Basically, you just added 200 disgruntled officers who will either take it out on tourists -- or try and make it pay 

Have a nice nap in the detention area :shock1:

Unless they've transferred them from the over-manned Department Of Inactive Posts!

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

While this move is good news for travelers through Bangkok's airports, I hate to think how much drama it will cause nationwide. Queues at other borders are probably now going to face nasty delays. Maybe actually recruiting a significantly higher number of staff might be a good idea, especially since High Season is approaching.

They will probably outsource. I was once asked at a Malaysian(!) border post, after coming from Sungai Golok in Thailand: "Do you work in Thailand?" (And it was definitely the Malaysian side, cause I got the Malaysia entry stamp there.)

1 hour ago, Straight8 said:

Yet they are probably the one who are most likely to scrutinize tourists and reject entry.

Every time I hear someone on TV getting refused entry, it's almost always a female officer.

Yes it's what TV members say they are more efficient 

If you are allowed a 1 year visa let that cover 1 year,  if you have a 60 day visa let that cover 60 days.  otherwise lose your tourists to other countries.

Visa runs are for kids games-----Everyone has to get re-newed passports earlier because of stupid 1 page visa, plus a small stamp for in out.

More tourists -especially long time ex pats,   less immigration staff at borders, more revenue to Thailand with long stayers spending every day, rents--hotels--etc

1 minute ago, Reigntax said:

Just travelling around collecting the boss's envelopes

Idea, why not all officials sign a document to swear of zero corruption.   Police and Immigration,  I am sure there are many who are NOT involved.-----(start the car, I am needing one quick now )   Ha Ha 

29 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

I get it You do not want to open the Thai lanes to Non O vista holders such as retirees and  Students

Too logical for you to do and would not look like you are trying to solve the problem

These visa holders have already been vetted so what's the problem ?

Maybe something to do with no IO's on the Thai lane - only gates.

Its a bit the same at Heathrow T5  only gates for UK/EU passports. When I went through 5 weeks ago there was only one IO on the non EU and people were being pulled from the queue based on the time of their connecting flight, took well over an hour.

Only the narrow minded would think that immigration problems are only in Thailand.

It's looks like immigration have lifted their game at swampy for today at least. Nearly all of the immigration departure gates were manned.

25 min from the time I presented at check in until the time I was through immigration. 

How it should be....

3 minutes ago, Mitch82 said:

It's looks like immigration have lifted their game at swampy for today at least. Nearly all of the immigration departure gates were manned.

25 min from the time I presented at check in until the time I was through immigration. 

How it should be....

Amazing, if you are use to really poor.... then poor seems great.  

Singapore is very security conscious - and yet it only takes a few minutes to get through.  I can land, walk briskly to immigration, go through immigration, pop to currency exchange, go back pick up my bag, then out the door and in a taxi in less than 15 minutes (and the bag has been checked of contents during that short time between the plane and the carousel).

4 minutes ago, Mitch82 said:

Nearly all of the immigration departure gates were manned.

That is the crux of the matter - at any airport. When I arrived last Wed only about half the desks were manned, can't fault the IO he was very quick to stamp me in.

23 minutes ago, Mitch82 said:

How it should be....

Last weeks kerfuffle at SBIA/BKK was for ARRIVING Immigration; departing Immigration seems to be a bit better as they have a decent handle on scheduling and staffing, perhaps? There was a dust-up in February at departing Imm with quite a few people missing planes.

Immigration Bureau beefs up numbers at major airports to remedy delays

BANGKOK, 14 August 2017 (NNT) – The Immigration Bureau has stepped up its numbers at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi Airports to better accommodate the high volume of travelers during long holidays. 

Following the posting of pictures showing long lines and delayed immigration processing at both Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports, the Prime Minister has ordered relevant agencies remedy the problem. 

In response, the Immigration Bureau has assembled 200 officers from checkpoints in other areas of the country and put them to work at both of the major airports. They will be stationed throughout the current holiday with the aim to ensure that passengers take no more than 45 minutes from landing to exit the airport. 

Immigration Bureau Division 2 Commander Pol Maj Gen Sittichai Lohkanpai has personally surveyed operations and ordered officers to work at the utmost efficiency while also maintaining a professional composure. 

Earlier, Royal Thai Police Chief Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda reported to the prime minister that the shortage of immigration officials was due to many being pulled into other operations. He indicated that the problem would be fixed in 2 weeks and put out an order for all relevant units to comply with the wishes of the premier. It was noted that if personnel was still lacking, members of the Royal Thai Air Force would be tapped for further assistance.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-08-14

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

ahhhh ....    isn't it amazing how TV farang can only see negativity in any solution ...:coffee1:

Isn't it amazing that every single post of yours serves only to criticize TV farang, and yet never offer any solutions?!

This is a farang focussed forum and, in this thread, it is relating to the immigration performance which almost all of us think is terrible at best and looking to get much worse!  Surely, the surprise appearance of a staggering 200 more officers raises questions?

Where were they before and, if they have been pulled in from other offices, is this simply moving the issue around, just to be looking proactive?

Get off your high horse (or bar girl, or bar stool, for that matter) and, if you can't be constructive,best to say nothing.  You're an awfully smug curmudgeon. 

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Amazing how they can suddenly find 200 officers.

So what were they all doing before? Sleeping/ playing on their phones maybe.

Probably brought out of "in-active" positions.... must be thousands in that category !!

Has anyone thought of the major downside of this?

With immigration offices nationwide having their own 'local' rules, what, initially is going to be the guideline on how the IO treats the visitors? Considering the thought's of most that entry is up to the individual IO. And again, if checking your entry stamp is not SOP to you, I would change that now and check every stamp before leaving the counters.

And to add to the mix, how many of the 200 are aquanted with the computer systems?

A uniform alone does not make a competent IO on the entry/exit counters IMO.

Edited by chrisinth

34 minutes ago, saminoz said:

Isn't it amazing that every single post of yours serves only to criticize TV farang, and yet never offer any solutions?!

This is a farang focussed forum and, in this thread, it is relating to the immigration performance which almost all of us think is terrible at best and looking to get much worse!  Surely, the surprise appearance of a staggering 200 more officers raises questions?

Where were they before and, if they have been pulled in from other offices, is this simply moving the issue around, just to be looking proactive?

Get off your high horse (or bar girl, or bar stool, for that matter) and, if you can't be constructive,best to say nothing.  You're an awfully smug curmudgeon. 

so what do you want them to do ?  The IO head is looking at ways to alleviate the long queues and waiting time .....  so now 200 more officers have been included.

I'm sorry if that's not good enough for you or did you want more ?

I think if you try to see the positives within Thailand instead of all the negatives you may start to enjoy the place ....    It's not my fault if you don't like the Junta, BIB, Immigration, 7-11, McDonalds or anything else in Thailand .....   try to live with it.

2 hours ago, aslimversgwm said:

Same going in to Malaysia at KL. When oh when is Thailand going to move in to the 21st  Century?

Enough of this 21st century nonsense, every time Thailand attempts a move all the TV cry babies start dummy spitting about how Thailand is losing its 3rd world charm.  Well welcome to 3rd world :biggrin: