New lottery tickets for September 1 draw

webfact

New lottery tickets for September 1 draw

By Thai PBS

lotto1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- New size of lottery tickets will be put on sale for the September 1 draw at 80-baht apiece instead of 80-baht for two pieces in one ticket as is the case of the current lottery.

The size of the new lottery tickets will be smaller than the existing ones, making them convenient to be inserted into a wallet.  More importantly, the Government Lottery Office (GLO) said that the new design will save the printing cost by about 100 million baht a year.

GLO spokesman Assistant Professor Thanawat Pholvichai said that the new lottery tickets were designed to meet with the demand of the consumers – smaller ticket which can be conveniently inserted into a wallet.

Full story:  http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-lottery-tickets-september-1-draw/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-08-16

27 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Do you get 6,000,000 first prize for one as you did for the old 2× ticket??

Probably not. Because NOT doubling the first prize in line with the  price increase for a single ticket is - to maintain the terminology used in the OP -  "convenient for the government".

So they doubled the price and kept the prizes the same size.

(From the actual article - "But the prizes remain unchanged.")

Wow. 

The old "tickets" cost 80 baht and if your number came up you won twice, once for each half of the ticket. So a 2,000 baht prize got you 4,000 baht.

Now you will pay the same 80 baht and if you win you one get the one prize (i.e. 2,000 baht) and that's it. 

Dang - I'd better win the big prize on today's draw then. Would rather win 2 x 3,000,000 baht today than 1 x 3,000,000 baht in the next draw !

Edited by Kerryd
Imagining I win today's jackpot !

15 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Probably not. Because NOT doubling the first prize in line with the  price increase for a single ticket is - to maintain the terminology used in the OP -  "convenient for the government".

Can we say the clarity is conspicuous by its absence.

??

21 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

So they doubled the price and kept the prizes the same size.

(From the actual article - "But the prizes remain unchanged.")

Wow. 

The old "tickets" cost 80 baht and if your number came up you won twice, once for each half of the ticket. So a 2,000 baht prize got you 4,000 baht.

Now you will pay the same 80 baht and if you win you one get the one prize (i.e. 2,000 baht) and that's it. 

Dang - I'd better win the big prize on today's draw then. Would rather win 2 x 3,000,000 baht today than 1 x 3,000,000 baht in the next draw !

my wife says that 1 x new ticket would give you the same 4,000 (6,000.000) baht as the old 2 x ticket

19 minutes ago, overherebc said:

As last post if you try to enlarge it it's not clear but it does look like that.

Yeah. I tried saving the image and zooming it but it's too fuzzy. My comment in my previous post came from the Thai PBS article. I can't find anything (in English) about this on the actual Government Lottery site though.

These (Thai) articles do state that the prize will be 6,00,000 (per ticket) - 

https://www.showprow.com/?p=7139

http://www.mediastudio.co.th/2017/05/25/156396/

Also - this pic is a wee bit clearer:

รูปแบบสลากฯ-ใหม่เหลือใบเดียว-09-640x360.jpeg

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Do you get 6,000,000 first prize for one as you did for the old 2× ticket??

No, I never got first or second or any other prize.

You have to be in it to win it, and I'm not in it.

Next question...

Edited by ben2talk

From the picture posted it looks as the single 80baht ticket has been available since 1 March 2017 :whistling:

Will they ever be available from 7-11 and you can choose your own numbers with higher percentage prizes, donations of some profits to good causes within the country,  maybe more people would buy? I forgot, TIT :coffee1:

On 8/16/2017 at 0:52 PM, Kerryd said:

Yeah. I tried saving the image and zooming it but it's too fuzzy. My comment in my previous post came from the Thai PBS article. I can't find anything (in English) about this on the actual Government Lottery site though.

These (Thai) articles do state that the prize will be 6,00,000 (per ticket) - 

https://www.showprow.com/?p=7139

http://www.mediastudio.co.th/2017/05/25/156396/

Also - this pic is a wee bit clearer:

รูปแบบสลากฯ-ใหม่เหลือใบเดียว-09-640x360.jpeg

How much is Bht 6.00.000 please?

On 8/16/2017 at 3:31 PM, gandalf12 said:

For a second I thought you would be able to chose the numbers you wanted not be stuck with the numbers the seller has. Too much to expect of course

You really think that would be a good idea. They would all pick the same lucky numbers and nobody would get anything worthwhile.

You really think that would be a good idea. They would all pick the same lucky numbers and nobody would get anything worthwhile.

Yes its a good idea...if nobody wins that round then the prize money should "rollover" so next draw prize will be twice the amount if no one wins again prize gets bigger and bigger more people are attracted to buy more lottery tickets.

A few years ago they already had a company with all the ticket machines allowing choice of own numbers ready and waiting to be rolled out a 7/11 etc but someone in government killed the idea.

Off course the winning numbers will sometimes coincide with a large number of lucky number choosers who will unfortunately find that their lucky number wasnt so lucky after all because they had to share a prize.

27 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes its a good idea...if nobody wins that round then the prize money should "rollover" so next draw prize will be twice the amount if no one wins again prize gets bigger and bigger more people are attracted to buy more lottery tickets.

A few years ago they already had a company with all the ticket machines allowing choice of own numbers ready and waiting to be rolled out a 7/11 etc but someone in government killed the idea.

Off course the winning numbers will sometimes coincide with a large number of lucky number choosers who will unfortunately find that their lucky number wasnt so lucky after all because they had to share a prize.

Im quite happy the way it is. All the sellers out of work so 7/11 can reap more profit. Dont be telling me they would let them be installed for free plus the yearly floor space charge.

Not just 7/11 any one could install a ticket machine...the incumbent sellers could be given subsidised machines they could even be mobile hand held
so they can still travel around hawking their wares.
a larger percentage of profits should go towards
"good causes" charities ,schools and health care.

2 hours ago, johng said:

Killing the idea is explainable, because the GLO cannot fix all the different prizes in advance. I.e. The first prize, as now, will never be 6,000,000 THB etc. If there are a lot of 1st prize winners, the GLO would loose. A special percentage in each prize category (1, 2, 3, …) of all sold tickets has to be figured out. This means, the winning prizes change draw by draw. As far as I remember the money going back to the winners in Thailand is ~60% of all sold tickets.

To reckon up the total sum of all sold tickets in a short time – i.e. within 1 or 2 day/s - seems to be impossible for the GLO, at least at now. For that arithmetic job it would need a full computerized and reliable system, starting at all selling stations.

Another Thai problem. Such a computerized system would be a loss for some people in this special money industry. It's hard to believe there will be a system change.

Edited by puck2

1 hour ago, gandalf12 said:

Doesn't matter it would be the choice of the buyer

No. The choice of the buyer is to participate in a fixed prize draw. If the buyer wishes to participate in a variable prize draw then they need to look at other options.

I doubt very much whether the Thai people would ever want the variable prize option, and after all it is for them.

32 minutes ago, sandyf said:

No. The choice of the buyer is to participate in a fixed prize draw. If the buyer wishes to participate in a variable prize draw then they need to look at other options.

I doubt very much whether the Thai people would ever want the variable prize option, and after all it is for them.

A fixed price with a set jackpot but with a variety of winning prizes. To be precise 

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

They shouldn't have to look at other options 

• 2 weeks later...
On 16.08.2017 at 0:07 PM, overherebc said:

Tried to read the prize figures on the back and I don't know if it's wishful thinking but it does look like 6,000,000.

Would need a better photo to be 100% sure.

Prizes for all categories have been doubled as well. Finally Thai lottery became logically. Because nobody could explain me the reason of 2 tickets in a block.

IMG_20170831_193257.jpg