10-Year Visas Now Available: Thai Immigration

webfact

Just now, impulse said:

$90K invested in a decent portfolio at 5% should throw off $4,500 a year in interest and dividends and appreciation.  That same $90K in a Thai bank account at 0.5% interest throws off about $4,000 less every year.  

Making the Elite visa at a cost of 500,000 baht for 5 years a better deal (assuming you're in it for the 5 years), costing about $3,000 a year.

So it's not just about having the $90K to qualify.  It's about what you want to do with it.  

Agreed. But it isn't aimed at people that reckon making an extra US$4.5k/annum is a big deal. The sort that don't get out of bed for less than US$4.5k/month maybe.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, maxpower said:

By stupid you mean like buying a 4M Baht house and giving it to a rice farmers daughter.

Not stupid if deposit the 3 mill and get to meet many daughters without having to worry about visa runs.

Also, you can show them the bank statement and they will think you are a very rich hansum falung.

160817_182536.jpg

Just now, Old Croc said:

It is a Muslim country and even the so-called democratic countries that follow that religion seem to be moving towards more traditional laws and customs.

And security in pretty appalling unless you live in a condo in KL.

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Since it's stated clearly that it's for 5 years and renewable, how is that a scam? Advertising hype is hardly solely an invention of Thais and in this case it might be hyperbolic, but hardly deceptive to anyone who can read a few sentences without being overwhelmed.

Cheese and rice man, you're touchier than my ex wife at the wrong time of the month. I wasn't wrong in designating you "Thai-bashing policeman-in-chief". 

You seem to be getting worse in your old age, lighten up and smell the roses.

Suppose we should be thankful we didn't get the usual "If you don't like it here you can always leave" blx.

Just now, jesimps said:

Cheese and rice man, you're touchier than my ex wife at the wrong time of the month. I wasn't wrong in designating you "Thai-bashing policeman-in-chief". 

You seem to be getting worse in your old age, lighten up and smell the roses.

Suppose we should be thankful we didn't get the usual "If you don't like it here you can always leave" blx.

Well, to be honest, if you don't like it here you can always leave.

Just now, jobwolf said:

Please let us know after 3 months how many people availed of this fantastic offer.    :spamsign:

The same ones that don't shop at Big C, drink at the Red Lion, buy ping-pong balls... or are members of rather parochial internet forums for foreigners.

2 hours ago, Luckysilk said:

Thanks but no thanks, noooooo way in hell am I putting 3M in Thai baht in this country when I'm treated like crap.

Totally agree, I don't even deposit 800 K in thai bank to get my one year retirement visa. Don't even show my face at the immigration and get treated like crap.

I read the article in the link. I wonder what qualifies as a "time deposit." I have a retirement fund in the US that meets the requirement, but no way of knowing whether that would qualify. Would be good to know the conditions for this so-called time deposit. At one point in the article, they say 3 million baht in the bank OR 100,000/month income, but that's mentioned in a clause about renewal after five years. I wonder if that would be allowed at initial application. Also wonder what documentation would be required. A notarized letter from my consulate, like I do now annually? That's just an affirmation by the consulate of what I tell them. Looks like I'm on my way to Immigration with questions.

So you must 

Pay 10,000 baht every 5 years. 

Have 3 million in a Thai bank. 

Half can be withdrawn but must prove it is spent in Thailand, such as buy land that you cannot own. 

Must replenish the 3 million after 5 years. 

Must have 10,000 US dollars in insurance with a Thai company. 

And New Zealand cannot apply. 

Oh no, I just fell off my fool , er stool. 

2 hours ago, chrisinth said:

From the OP link:

“It is now effective,” Natthathorn said by phone. “Foreigners can apply for it at their provincial immigration offices. For Bangkok and neighboring provinces, it’s at Chaeng Wattana.”

Although the new retirement visa has been available since Friday, Natthathorn said he has not seen any applications come across his desk so far.

I think it will be interesting to see how many of these visas are actually issued. Obviously when the immigration personnel catch up with the memo........................:wink:

Look at the bright side of it. At least it will pose no problem for one of these (lucky or taken-advantage-of?) visa holders to fill, for example,  "6/2560" in the tiny space provided on the TM arrival card when returning from an overseas trip instead of the "262574/2/2560" or thereabouts that is often required.

56 minutes ago, impulse said:

Which begs the question of documentation required (and how often) to confirm that income over the entire 5-10 year period.  I can see someone applying today as an oilfield 28/28 refugee with plenty of income outside of Thailand, yet facing a whole different reality in a year or 2 when their job goes away.

And no mention of the medical insurance requirement, and how (and how often) one would confirm that coverage for a full year, never mind the 5-10 year duration.  Easy to get a policy for the visa, then quit paying on it after a few months.

Loose strings like that make me a little wary.  It seems like they're making it up as they go along. 

Well, your example  of a rotation worker is not a retiree.

I don't know much about European or Australian pensions, but any US full-term retiree like government GS-12 or FS-05 or greater, any military officers and many senior NCOs, as well as police and fire officers, and many corporate retirees make over $3000/mo and have full insurance or can afford to pay for insurance.

The day that the Thai government guarantees me that if I put that kind of money into a Thai Bank account, that they will guarantee me that they will reimburse me if the bank goes belly up (2008 GFC) as the Australian government guarantees me, then I might consider it, but not before the bank also guarantees me that it will reimburse me against fraud.

Extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai is easier and only requires 400,000 baht in the bank, less risk IMO, and no real hoola hoops to jump through either from this end.

18 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

beyond the ridiculous requirements of this new generous offering, the mindsets of the people behind it are troubling; they either do not want us here ( a rapidly growing number of us believe that)  or they are clueless

Or - most likely - both.

It requires about 90,000 USA dollars in savings or job or pension that pays 3,000 USA dollars a month. Not too much to ask IMO for 10 year visa or 5 plus 5 if you want to be critical.  I will apply in November and not have to screw with CW for yearly renewals. Does anyone know if Americans can use the embassy income verification letter for this visa? 

To the poster that stated Thailand treats him like "crap" my question is why allow any place to treat you like "crap?"  800 flights a day leave Swampy for other places that are more suitable to treating you the way you deserve to be treated. Choose one and be happy. Take care. 

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

I doubt any people interested with this Visa deal. Its almost as if they think we are stupid.

The problem with stupid people is they don't know they're stupid, which means they don't realise that most other people are smarter than them.

Unfortunately, the Thai authorities have looked at the 10 year Visa available in Malaysia to 'comfortable' retirees, as well as the generous Visa available to western retirees in many countries, and then completely stuffed it up.

Malaysia (since 2002) offers 10 year Visas with multiple exit/leaves (unlimited), no 90 day reporting, easy renewal, import own car or buy one new one with no taxes, able to work 20 hours a week, able to own/run business with far less requirements, can buy land/houses, can add other family members to the Visa. But they did it not for the 'pensioners' and those who are financially 'weak': you must deposit about $30K AUD in a Malaysian bank (get 2% and pay no taxes) , earn about $3K AUD a month, and prove you have the assets/income.

So what did Thailand do?  5 years Visa with the same 90 days reporting, no taxes relief, no business (unless get another Visa), no working (unless get another Visa), still cannot buy land/house, no allowance for any other family members (even if Thai Nationals). And they want about $115K deposited in a Thai bank and you get 0.5% and you have to pay tax on that interest.

What's the bet that someone 'up top' has noticed the large number of 'quality' western retirees taking up the 10 year Visa in Malaysia, and told the minions to put something like that together to attract the 'quality' retirees. Of course, this would mean that all the vested interests would have taken out the bits that would hurt them/family/friends (financially), kept those that would financially be good the them/family/friends, and increased any financial benefits to you know who. The end result is the atypical Horse designed by a Thai committee (Dead Camel).   Yep - I declare that they completed pharked it up and very few people will take it up.