Aussie gets rare disease after Thai full moon party

webfact

Aussie tells how he contracted rare disease in Thailand

news.com.au

SYDNEY: -- EVERY year thousands of Australians head to Thailand’s legendary Full Moon parties and there are lots of things they expect to come home with.

Good memories. New mates. If they’re the drinking type, a hangover. But Australian IT worker Pat came home from Thailand with something he definitely didn’t expect — a potentially fatal disease that was virtually wiped out in Australia decades ago.

The Sydney man has told how he contracted the extremely rare disease diphtheria after simply stepping on a piece of glass during Full Moon celebrations in Koh Phangan.

Pat told news.com.au he spent a week on the island with mates and they attended one of Thailand’s infamous all-night beach parties.

Full story:  http://www.news.com.au/news/aussie-tells-how-he-contracted-rare-disease-in-thailand/news-story/ca5c3433c03c6e12e76b5380e22d5f2c

news_comau_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright News.com.au 2017-08-21

Who said that Thailand never gives back to the tourist that come to visit her?

while some bring back souvenirs and fond memories, others take illnesess

STD's and other diseases  back with them, each to his own...

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The Sydney man has told how he contracted the extremely rare disease diphtheria after simply stepping on a piece of glass during Full Moon celebrations in Koh Phangan.

Didn't realise that's how diphtheria's spread.

Edited by Bluespunk

7 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

This is The Nation, so don’t expect to get much in the way of real information especially if it could potentially cause face loss or worse, loss of tourist revenues. Diphtheria is usually spread person to person, so this broken glass theory is at best a guess, likely a wild one, heh, and you think about it might be the SAFEST explanation for the government/News agencies to give.

The cocktail jab usually takes care of that – DPT.  So the Thai person did not have it, its origin point, and the Aussie didn’t either. Just another reason why vaccinations are important. In these times more than ever.

15 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:
1 hour ago, webfact said:

It's not.  The "stepping on a piece of glass" is pure coincidence.

55 minutes ago, Oxx said:

It's not.  The "stepping on a piece of glass" is pure coincidence.

Exactly.  Diphtheria is airborne or caused by person to person contact.  He may well have snogged an un-vaccinated Thai person or it was just around in the air and he breathed some of it in.

It's highly unlikely he caught it from the glass.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphtheria

1 hour ago, LomSak27 said:

This is The Nation, so don’t expect to get much in the way of real information especially if it could potentially cause face loss or worse, loss of tourist revenues. Diphtheria is usually spread person to person, so this broken glass theory is at best a guess, likely a wild one, heh, and you think about it might be the SAFEST explanation for the government/News agencies to give.

The cocktail jab usually takes care of that – DPT.  So the Thai person did not have it, its origin point, and the Aussie didn’t either. Just another reason why vaccinations are important. In these times more than ever.

Nice try, but you might want to take a look at the OP.   It is from an AUSTRALIAN SOURCE.  

Continued trolling and commenting on moderation will earn you a suspension.  

1 hour ago, lemonjelly said:

Shouldn't he have been vaccinated for that as a child?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It's not a once in a lifetime jab. I've had several. Just got one after a blood test showed I had no protection. Same with hep a/b. Not cheap jabs, but worth the money.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphtheria

It can also come from contaminated objects. Like broken glass.

Internet news sources are pretty poor these days, the original story goes on about the cut on his foot and the diphtheria as though they are related, he then says he didn't get any vaccinations prior to travelling.

For those of us who didn't get around to reading the story.

I remember when we had to have a yellow vaccination book when we traveled.

it listed all the shots we had and when boosters were due.

I just had my booster shot for D & T and a flu shot at a local clinic.(no typhoid)  I was told easily cured??

Yes, if they know what to look for.

The problem no one looks for these old diseases any more.

Many of the old diseases are coming back, no one gets immunized anymore.

The sea is now a big source of many bacteria, old and new.

We can not keep using our oceans as a trash dump and a septic tank.

29 minutes ago, ksamuiguy said:

I remember when we had to have a yellow vaccination book when we traveled.

it listed all the shots we had and when boosters were due.

I just had my booster shot for D & T and a flu shot at a local clinic.(no typhoid)  I was told easily cured??

Yes, if they know what to look for.

The problem no one looks for these old diseases any more.

Many of the old diseases are coming back, no one gets immunized anymore.

The sea is now a big source of many bacteria, old and new.

We can not keep using our oceans as a trash dump and a septic tank.

That yellow book is still a requirement depending on where you travel. I've got it with me now and lists all shots I've had since childhood.

2 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

Internet news sources are pretty poor these days, the original story goes on about the cut on his foot and the diphtheria as though they are related, he then says he didn't get any vaccinations prior to travelling.

For those of us who didn't get around to reading the story.

Well he did say, in the original article, that the foot got bigger and bigger and bigger, which any normal person would find rather alarming, but he still didn't do anything until his dad saw it and told him to get to a doctor??

1 hour ago, AlQaholic said:

The guy waited 4 days before removing the piece of glass stuck in his foot? Was he drunk all that time? He blames the delay on his youth, damn when I was that age I wouldn't wait 4 days??

I've walked around with tiny chunks of glass, wood and metal in me for days and days, not even realizing there was anything remaining until it got infected.   In fact, sometimes it was months before I realized I still had a splinter of something if it just healed over.

The guy waited 4 days before removing the piece of glass stuck in his foot? Was he drunk all that time? He blames the delay on his youth, damn when I was that age I wouldn't wait 4 days??

I am not familiar with the symptons of diptheria but, judging from the victim's behaviour, it apparently makes one act like a total dipstick.

Edited by champers

5 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Shouldn't he have been vaccinated for that as a child?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Apparently there is an increasing number of people who have decided not to vaccinate their children.... I don't know how long this has been going on for.... decades I believe, and escalating.

the Australian government views this as so serious, that nanny state privileges are being revoked for citizens that refuse to vaccinate. 

Then, off course, one needs to get booster shots for certain things... oh well... I hope this goes viral down under to hilight the issue of wearing condoms... oops.... wearing shoes

Edited by farcanell

You've obviously never been young to the full moon party. Call yourself an alkie? lol

I was there at the first full moon parties and was drunk for months.

6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Diptheria, that sounds very odd to me. Now, if you said tetanus then that would be another matter. Yes, it's a bacterial infection, usually caused by person to person contact. If he picked it up by stepping on a broken glass it suggests that was somebody around who had diphtheria in the first place and had been drinking from the glass. If that is the case I am surprised there were no more reported cases.

Hi,

although dithteria is a human airborne decease transmitted from humans to humans , "cutaneous dithteria" is very common in tropical zones and a simple cut can be the transmission agent. No urgent desinfection is obviously an accelerator. It's true that this decease had practically desappeared from developed countries, a lot of wrong decisions in vaccination policy and human mass migration made it coming back including in Europe. I ignore what is the vaccination policy in Ozz but maybe this man wasn't proctected.

Not vaccinated- his problem. Diptheria is a standard vaccine shot for children in Australia, if his parents were hippy anti-vaxes and he supported it by not getting shots as an adult, all the luck to him for being stupid enough to being exposed to an easily preventable disease. 

I've walked around with tiny chunks of glass, wood and metal in me for days and days, not even realizing there was anything remaining until it got infected.   In fact, sometimes it was months before I realized I still had a splinter of something if it just healed over.

The wonders of being pissed 24/7.?[emoji481]

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app