The bullet that hurts - but never kills

snoop1130

The bullet that hurts - but never kills

By Rachanon Intharaksa 
The Nation

f7cbfcbd0135904ff4ddacaadcee9573.jpeg

Researchers from Kasetsart University have invented an alternative “first shot” bullet for pistols, which would cause some pain but never a death.

They have devised the new bullet especially for state officers’ use in crowd/riot control or in apprehending a suspect. It is hoped the invention helps to reduce human rights violations and loss of life as well as boosting officers’ awareness about correct gun use.

Weerachai Phutdhawong, a Chemistry professor and head of the research project, said that state officers working in emergency situations normally faced intense pressure and only had a short time to act, thus posing a higher risk of overreaction and loss of life. The researchers created an alternative bullet that could be used with pistols as the first shot, he said. 

This bullet would only cause enough injury to stop suspects in their tracks but would not cause death. If the first shot couldn’t stop the suspect(s), state officers could still use live bullets after that in accordance with the law.

The alternative bullet is one of many various inventions included in a project seeking weaponry innovations for the armed forces and country defence.

They were presented on Wednesday at the signing of a third memorandum of understanding (2017-2021) between researchers and the Army at the university’s Bang Khen Campus.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30324686

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-8-23

47 minutes ago, Artisi said:

self deleted.

I was using them back in the 70's but they were about 6" long and about 1.5" diameter. The effect was about the same as being hit by a fast cricket ball.

The actual firearm was a converted 'Verry' ( not sure on spelling )  pistol with a barrel about 15" long. People were more frightened of them than live 7.62 because they could be used so easily.

It was rumoured at the time that local women used to take them home for some obscure reason. Just checked it's Very Pistol. More commonly known as a flare gun.

Another photo gives you a better idea.

images (2).jpg

images (3).jpg

Edited by overherebc
adding photo

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The alternative bullet is one of many various inventions included in a project seeking weaponry innovations for the armed forces and country defence.

what does an 'almost-bullet' have to do with country defence ? perhaps if the army goes back to their barracks and under civilian control and the police actually do police jobs, then we wouldnt be talking about such foolishness

The Israelis had a .38 round that was a load of shot in a canvas bag. 350 ft lbs of energy, but no penetration. A Kevlar bag and lead shot would be even better. There might be feed problems in an automatic pistol, though. I said at the time that they shouldn't have bought all those expensive 9mm pistols. 12 gauge shotguns with a beanbags for the first two or three rounds and buckshot after that would be the way forward, and that way you have a big club in your hands as well. 

6 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

what does an 'almost-bullet' have to do with country defence ? perhaps if the army goes back to their barracks and under civilian control and the police actually do police jobs, then we wouldnt be talking about such foolishness

Nothing to do with country defence in my mind. Rubber non lethal bullets are very effective in riot control. In those circumstances it's easier to pull the trigger and does not make anyone think twice on using deadly force. 

Used properly they are very effective. If someone is throwing rocks at you and you have the choice of a rubber bullet that will hurt him badly and knock him down or fire a live round that will kill him and perhaps someone behind him it's an easy decision to make.

31 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Nothing to do with country defence in my mind. Rubber non lethal bullets are very effective in riot control. In those circumstances it's easier to pull the trigger and does not make anyone think twice on using deadly force. 

Used properly they are very effective. If someone is throwing rocks at you and you have the choice of a rubber bullet that will hurt him badly and knock him down or fire a live round that will kill him and perhaps someone behind him it's an easy decision to make.

I actually meant to say think twice about using non deadly force.

11 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The first bullet idea is brilliant unless you miss.

It may not be so brilliant even if you hit.  I see the newspaper article shows people wearing face masks, I presume that is to stop the possibility of causing blindness or maybe a fatality if the projectile strikes the eye directly?  The researcher also beautifully demonstrates what appears to be a lack of knowledge on the use of guns anyway.  He is holding the gun with his right hand but aiming with the left eye and the right eye closed.  It's not impossible to shoot accurately like that but it takes a hell of a lot of practice.

13 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The first bullet idea is brilliant unless you miss.

ALL bullets are brilliant unless you miss.

The item showed looks exactly like a US invention recently reviewed on a daily tech briefing I receive.  It clips instantly onto a gun and traps a bullet in a ball which travel together to the target with reduced impact and almost no penetration.  After firing the ball, the gun may be fired normally for the rest of the magazine.

Edited by The Deerhunter

15 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

The item showed looks exactly like a US invention recently reviewed on a daily tech briefing I receive.  It clips instantly onto a gun and traps a bullet in a ball which travel together to the target with reduced impact and almost no penetration.  After firing the ball, the gun may be fired normally for the rest of the magazine.

U.S. copying another Thai invention?

:whistling:

17 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Guess they never heard of rubber bullets, which have been around for, oh.... YEARS! 

Or maybe, paintballs.

Shot with enough power and with a substantial weight, it will hurt mightily.

But like rubber bullets, if hitting the wrong spot, can still kill.

4 hours ago, animalmagic said:

It may not be so brilliant even if you hit.  I see the newspaper article shows people wearing face masks, I presume that is to stop the possibility of causing blindness or maybe a fatality if the projectile strikes the eye directly?  The researcher also beautifully demonstrates what appears to be a lack of knowledge on the use of guns anyway.  He is holding the gun with his right hand but aiming with the left eye and the right eye closed.  It's not impossible to shoot accurately like that but it takes a hell of a lot of practice.

I don't think that he is the researcher, as it looks like a still photo from a movie that I cannot remember the name of.

3 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Invented in Thailand.............   Yeah RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

I instantly recognised this. I remember seeing it on the news months ago.

It's kind of sad if the Thai inventor just copied another person's invention. But, given how copying and plagiarism is so widely accepted in Thai education, it's hardly surprising.

It's no wonder Thailand is so low on the innovation index. They literally only know how to copy, not to create.

"officers’ awareness"    Would that qualify as an oxymoron? :whistling:

And now we have a university researcher claiming something - sounds like another case of "re-inventing the wheel"? The idea may have sounded good to him but I feel not a lot of thought put into the pro and  cons of his "idea" (and I use that term lightly).

If it is so good, no doubt the University will apply for patent and enjoy the rich rewards? :sorry: Had to throw in a little humour.