Does anyone own a Tuk Tuk ?

Peterw42

Does anyone own a Tuk Tuk as there means of transportation ? 

I have a scooter for local trips, 7/11, the beach, local restaurants etc. I was thinking a Tuk Tuk would be great instead of a scooter, same as a scooter but some protection from the rain, maybe a bit more protection in an accident etc.

I have a couple of friends in Pattaya who have bought golf buggies to get around, not registered and no licenses required etc. This has got me thinking if anyone owns and uses a Tuk Tuk ?

I read somewhere that you need a different driv-lic for tuktuk, cannot use bike-lic and cannot use car-lic.

Somewhere here on TV (motor forum) there is a comprehensive list of all the different Thai licences, you should check there.

And also check with your local DLT.

I have friends up north that got into problems with driving a tuktuk.

The difficulties being linked to that the tuktuk is considered a commercial vehicle.

7 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

I read somewhere that you need a different driv-lic for tuktuk, cannot use bike-lic and cannot use car-lic.

Somewhere here on TV (motor forum) there is a comprehensive list of all the different Thai licences, you should check there.

And also check with your local DLT.

I have friends up north that got into problems with driving a tuktuk.

The difficulties being linked to that the tuktuk is considered a commercial vehicle.

Yes, there is a separate license for 3 wheeled vehicles and technically you need that license for motorbike with sidecar.

This topic came up years ago and it was said/commented / suggested that it might be necessary to post a sign, in Thai: " NOT FOR HIRE".  Otherwise you may have problems with Thai Tuk Tuk drivers thinking you are in competition with them. 

3 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Do you mean, does any foreigner own a Tuk Tuk? Or do you mean are all the Tuk Tuks rented from some sort of monopoly?

While I agree the OP's question was ambiguously worded, I believe the OP wanted one for himself.

I am on my second TukTuk in 10 years, but we are in NongKhai so they are not "Bangkok TukTuks". You only need a regular driver license unless you are taking paying passengers, and in that case you are working employment that is prohibited for foreigners. The vests with numbers on them are the licenses that Tai TukTuk drivers have, they have to purchase them from the police.

To keep the police from stopping you and checking you out (especially if you have Thai friends or a Thai wife in the back) you really should put notices on each side in Thai that say "not for hire". I have had both Thais and foreigners hail me for rides but have always apologized and told them I am not licensed to carry passengers.

After having my tuktuks it would be really hard to do without them, I know there are a few people that look down their noses at me for driving it, but I really don't care. People should worry more about what they look like on the inside than the outside anyway. I do have a Fortuner for longer trips or for bad weather days, but the tuktuk gets more use by far.

I don't know if this is the case everywhere, but up here three-wheeled vehicles are exempt from road taxes, they do have to be insured though.

Edited by Lee4Life
added ommision

Hey lee4life----- I too have been in Thailand 10yrs and have just bought my second  one having sold the first one to buy a car.I have had no problems whatsoever in Udon Thani. My reason for a TukTuk initially was that I build and fly model aircraft and have had trouble carrying them around in a car.So I have got my second one now and am into the big ones again.I think over the yrs the police have seen me and know what it is all about but I must admit I know nothing about a special licence. I love motorbikes and have 3 at my disposal but old Tukky has a special place in my life.

11 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, there is a separate license for 3 wheeled vehicles and technically you need that license for motorbike with sidecar.

I thought that motorbike and sidecars were illegal, didn't know they issued DL for them :whistling:

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

I thought that motorbike and sidecars were illegal, didn't know they issued DL for them :whistling:

that is also what I think,

and have read here and there, but they are GREAT vehicles!

canopy and benches with "soft" seats, great stuff those things

now, I assume we talk about these "home made" kind of things,

and not a proper BMW/Sidecar thing for example?

Hey lee4life----- I too have been in Thailand 10yrs and have just bought my second  one having sold the first one to buy a car.I have had no problems whatsoever in Udon Thani. My reason for a TukTuk initially was that I build and fly model aircraft and have had trouble carrying them around in a car.So I have got my second one now and am into the big ones again.I think over the yrs the police have seen me and know what it is all about but I must admit I know nothing about a special licence. I love motorbikes and have 3 at my disposal but old Tukky has a special place in my life.

Are you talking about the "Skylab" model? The local VFW Post even has one . But, it does say POST 10249 on it.

I can see the practicality of a three wheeler, is anyone doing Trikes in Thailand?? - I'd be interested, great for short trips and can carry more than a motorcycle.   Hmmmm  maybe there is a market for this sort of thing, lots of older folks like tooling around on a gulf cart.

2 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I can see the practicality of a three wheeler, is anyone doing Trikes in Thailand?? - I'd be interested, great for short trips and can carry more than a motorcycle.   Hmmmm  maybe there is a market for this sort of thing, lots of older folks like tooling around on a gulf cart.

My mate converted one of his Harley D's a few years ago here in Thailand and apart from registering the change to the bike didn't require any other licence to drive it. Although he was based in Phits, he traveled extensively around Thailand, he would often drive down to Songkla for his turn-around for offshore. 

Sooo, if you have a spare Harley (or any other piece of agricultural machinery lying about for that matter!) it is possible to get done....:wink:

Disclaimer: The picture below is stock and not my mate's, but similar apart from the colour.

599fc71dbe9e3_harley3wheel.jpg.b5c4cfbe730a9b0e46464ce96e5c9113.jpg

45 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

My mate converted one of his Harley D's a few years ago here in Thailand and apart from registering the change to the bike didn't require any other licence to drive it. Although he was based in Phits, he traveled extensively around Thailand, he would often drive down to Songkla for his turn-around for offshore. 

Sooo, if you have a spare Harley (or any other piece of agricultural machinery lying about for that matter!) it is possible to get done....:wink:

Disclaimer: The picture below is stock and not my mate's, but similar apart from the colour.

599fc71dbe9e3_harley3wheel.jpg.b5c4cfbe730a9b0e46464ce96e5c9113.jpg

Thanx, something like that would be great for long rides, less stress on older bones & muscles.

a few years ago someone put up a piece on one they bought and the people that made them, they were actually better looking than a tuk tuk and priced reasonably too, maybe do a search for the post and see the info

Edited by seajae

Our next door neighbour is a a tuk tuk driver and she has had one for many years recently she wanted a new one but she told me no longer made and spent nearly 200k baht having hers rebuilt .Must admit it looks like new now.

10 hours ago, habanero said:

Are you talking about the "Skylab" model? The local VFW Post even has one . But, it does say POST 10249 on it.

Mine is a model that is made in Sakhon Nakhon, it looks like the motorbike style tuktuk but is quite a bit bigger, it has a three cylinder 660cc Daihatsu engine and a five speed transmission, both the engine and transmission are from a Daihatsu Mira car. It is quite fast for a TukTuk.