the dangers of Beach Road traffic

Asiantravel

I’m posting this not just from my own experience this morning trying to cross Beach road as a pedestrian but more from subsequently seeing the reaction of a young Chinese couple just a few minutes later up the road also trying to do the same thing. Who knows maybe remembering this post could save someone from sustaining a serious injury or even worse because I have a theory that the already poor and sometimes dangerous driving habits in Pattaya are gradually getting even worse.

And why wouldn’t they get worse because if drivers can get away with so much ( particularly speeding   ) without any repercussions, then over time consideration for others can gradually become less and less important to drivers because there are no consequences to acting irresponsibly?

This morning I tried to cross Beach Road outside the 7/11 on the pedestrian crossing at Pattaya 13/3 Alley. When there was a break in the traffic(because the lights are not switched on) I started walking across and the vehicles in the first two lanes were   able stop because they were going at a reasonable speed to allow me to proceed. But when I had almost reached the beachside curb I noticed a car travelling so fast in the beach side lane that I stopped and stood on the pedestrian crossing . The driver of the fast car could see all the other vehicles had stopped but he proceeded anyway. I even put my arm up and signalled for him to stop which he totally ignored  and if I had  continued to walk instead of waiting on the crossing   I would definitely not be here to write this account now because he just kept speeding past and he would never have been able to stop in time. It was a scary and surreal experience.

But what made it even more surreal was as I walked northwards along Beach Road I then came to the pedestrian crossing outside Royal Garden and was astounded to see a young Chinese couple standing on the beachside who almost experienced the same as me except they hadn’t yet set foot on the crossing. The cars in two of the lanes had stopped seeing that they were trying to walk across to Royal Garden but as soon as they put their foot near the curb edge a car travelling fast in the beach side lane tooted its horn which prompted the Chinese couple to point up at the pedestrian lights to indicate to the driver they were not working so what else were they to do?!  . How else does a young couple who are presumably tourists in this city walk across the road safely at a pedestrian crossing if motorists are so intolerant?

From my experience this morning the simple act of trying to walk across Beach Road is something you can no longer take for granted . You need 100% concentration even on a pedestrian crossings where the lights have been turned off . at this rate it can only be a matter of time until there will be a fatality.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In some places, the zebra crosswalks give the right of way to the pedestrians.

In other places, all they mean is that you are allowed to cross there, but don't give pedestrians right of way.

If the crosswalk lights aren't working, I'm afraid you're on your own.  It's the light that gives you the right of way.

Edited by impulse

Unfortunately, in LOS the authorities don't care about anyone that is walking. The car is god. The police won't enforce the law. The pedestrian lights are left off.

If someone gets killed trying to cross the road by a hiso it will be their fault.

Sometimes it's very hard to even like LOS, never mind lovin' it.

Amazing Thailand, where you are in mortal danger just trying to cross the road.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I said it before and say it again
Zebra crossings in Thailand are a danger to pedestrians and should be removed...they only give a false sense of security
best get rid of them so pedestrians will cross with 100% concentration and awareness.

Horrific, disrespectful and crazy drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not the slightest respect even for the elderly and handicapped.

And if YOU stop to let somebody pass, as we are used from back home, you are responsible for the maniac behind you who gives a damn about people trying to cross and runs them over. Absolutely disgusting.

The other week witnessed some moron coming down Bouakao with at least 60-70 km/h crasdhing into 2 innocent bikes,

which did not expect that maniac coming at such speed. The "driving" culture says a lot about the culture of a country. I would be scared to death having my kids on bikes, especially on Sukhumvit. MS>

Yep, pedestrians have no rights here whatsoever, Thais generally don't like to walk, hence they park their scooters on the walkways if no space on the road.

Only poor people walks here, slowly slowly the educated realize that exercise is good for you and will extend your life.

In places like Singapore and Japan, the car drivers waits patiently for people finished crossing the zebra lines and then move on, I think the penalty for hitting a pedestrian in those areas is very harsh (good).

Despite I drive/ride more on beach road than I walk, I would like to see speed bumps every 50 meters or so, only thing they can understand.

Big, heavy vehicle vs old person crossing road... maybe the frail human should be the careful one and take on less risk. Personally, I see the issue as the pedestrian holding up traffic and instigating a larger risk for a multi-car accident vs them getting hit in the 3rd lane of traffic where the motorist may not see you - seeing 2 other cars slow down/stop isn't unusual - cars pull over constantly on any road in Pattaya.

Agree with the earlier post that the cross-walk markings need to go, however, to alleviate the entitlement issue, especially given the tourist nature of the area and differing rules on who has right-of-way combined with foreigners renting vehicles and driving with their own country's mindset.

Edited by H508

12 hours ago, H508 said:

Big, heavy vehicle vs old person crossing road... maybe the frail human should be the careful one and take on less risk. Personally, I see the issue as the pedestrian holding up traffic and instigating a larger risk for a multi-car accident vs them getting hit in the 3rd lane of traffic where the motorist may not see you - seeing 2 other cars slow down/stop isn't unusual - cars pull over constantly on any road in Pattaya.

Agree with the earlier post that the cross-walk markings need to go, however, to alleviate the entitlement issue, especially given the tourist nature of the area and differing rules on who has right-of-way combined with foreigners renting vehicles and driving with their own country's mindset.

Are you saying it's the pedestrians fault for walking? Is everyone supposed to drive?

I'm still trying to figure out why they haven't converted Beach Road into a pedestrian mall with no traffic except 03:00 to 07:00 for deliveries.

Edit: And maybe some of those electric golf cart trams for people who can't, or don't like to walk.

Edited by impulse

For a lot of (Thai AND foreign) drivers/riders a pedestrian crossing is nothing more than a bullseye on a dart-board. 

It means.........."BULLSEYE"!!

Apart from that and I can say that in general: Social behavior amongst drivers/riders in Thailand is at an almost zero. As soon as people step into their black-plasticed en window-tinted cocoon they are "Alone on this World" and everyone who gets in their way has to suffer. 

As other posters said: Zebra crossings do give pedestrians certain rights in some countries, but in Thailand it's certainly not the case. Not even with the traffic lights working.......they're just ignored!

14 hours ago, H508 said:

You appear to have developed the Thai mindset of driving, if you have no regard for pedestrians.

seen, or at least heard then seen the aftermath, two tourists at different times have their lives and bodies completely altered when hit by vehicles while crossing the pedestrian crossing at Mikes. hit with such force that the vehicles were quite badly damaged as well.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you saying it's the pedestrians fault for walking? Is everyone supposed to drive?

Of course no. However, streets belong to vehicles. Sidewalks belong to pedestrians. Sometimes you have to walk across a 'car-owned' road. I just think the burden of crossing the road is the responsibility of the pedestrian given the absence of a crosswalking light or policeman directing traffic.

Thailand is a country that wants tourists.  Tourists don't normally drive cars in Thailand. They tend to walk along the beach road and at times like to cross the street.  There is no way that pedestrians should have to give way to a car or motorcycle. This is absurd thinking and it makes no economic sense.  I see it all the time everywhere in Thailand where people (including the locals) try and cross streets and are in danger of their lives.

If Thailand does not change its attitude towards visiting foreigners- they just might stop visiting.  In fact- with the total disregard of tourists-  to include continual scams- i really wonder why they continue to come and be abused.

7 hours ago, impulse said:

I'm still trying to figure out why they haven't converted Beach Road into a pedestrian mall with no traffic except 03:00 to 07:00 for deliveries.

Edit: And maybe some of those electric golf cart trams for people who can't, or don't like to walk.

Absolutely. Just imagine how pleasant it would be with NO traffic on Beach Road. Second Road is wide enough for two-way traffic. But as others have said, traffic rules and pedestrians have no rights. Most (all?) of the side sois have no room for walkers at all. And that equally applies to streets in the middle of Bangkok. Real third world stuff.

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

Thailand is a country that wants tourists.  Tourists don't normally drive cars in Thailand. They tend to walk along the beach road and at times like to cross the street.  There is no way that pedestrians should have to give way to a car or motorcycle. This is absurd thinking and it makes no economic sense.  I see it all the time everywhere in Thailand where people (including the locals) try and cross streets and are in danger of their lives.

If Thailand does not change its attitude towards visiting foreigners- they just might stop visiting.  In fact- with the total disregard of tourists-  to include continual scams- i really wonder why they continue to come and be abused.

My wife was totally confused when in the UK and the first, or certainly the second, car stopped for her at a crossing. Every time. But being polite and helpful to others is totally alien to the Thais in Thailand.

Crossing roads in a lot of places in Asia takes focus and concentration. 

As foreign nationales we're used to having rules to protect us, even when we ignore them or walk around with our eyes closed we can almost guarantee we'll be safe.

these rules and regulations just don't exist in a lot of Asian countries and we just have to adapt. 

Like many things back home we aren't protected from ourselves when visiting thailand etc.

I've never found it particularly unsafe, even from my first trip. And after having an horrific bike accident and losing my mobility through disability I still found with forethought and a bit of patience, crossing the road here was no more dangerous than before. 

What those pedestrian lights really mean: If the light is green for a pedestrian then you may attempt to cross with a reduced risk of being fined for jaywalking.  It does not mean that the traffic will stop, or even slow down or change direction to avoid hitting you, and it may even speed up and change direction towards you. You take your life in your hands every time you attempt to cross a road in Thailand.  And when crossing Beach Road, even though it's one-way traffic (sic), always, always, always LOOK BOTH WAYS - that one nearly caught me out once.  That said, the pedestrian lights on Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok, at Soi 4/Soi 3 junction are even more dangerous - on the north side of Sukhumvit road there are lights for the pedestrians - but none for the traffic turning left out of Soi 3 - so the pedestrians see a green light, but the drivers do not see a red light. TIT.

1 hour ago, maxcorrigan said:

In Thailand,they are just a suggestion! 

In Thailand,they are just a suggestion!   Target area

There - corrected it for you - sadly flippant I realise, but almost true! :sad:

As a driver--and sometimes pedestrian, I understand both sides. The main problem I see is the lights are inconsistently on--and the majority of time off. If the city kept them on at all times drivers would be used to them--and possibly, even stop at them. Many a time I've stopped on a red light at a pedestrian crossing and almost got rear ended by someone who didn't care about, or want to stop. I had to go through the light or else have an accident, wouldn't have been my fault of course but there would have been many hassles/questions/ and loss of time. Like a lot of posters have said, be careful when walking in Pattaya, the rules are different here--I'm not saying right, just different. I ALWAYS check my rear view mirror here when coming up to a yellow/red light as Thais' tend to run the lights, sometimes three or four seconds after it's changed.

In Thailand don't expect any curtesy or politeness when you are driving. No one bothers to comply with speeding or traffic signs. All these recent "new" speed restrictions painted on the road don't mean a damn thing! They look pretty & that is all. No one will enforce the law here ......... think all these new signs are well meant, but a complete waste of time & effort by City Hall. Double lines, stop signs, no stopping, no parking etc are all ignored ......... so why do they do it if the police can't enforce the law? It's a real puzzle that really has no answer. Pedestrians are at risk 24/7 anywhere in Thailand, especially in tourist areas where tourists expect traffic to stop for them ............ sadly many are injured because they are ignorant of the fact that Thai's will not stop for you. Driving in Thailand is undisciplined, driving the wrong way is their right & they don't even acknowledge the fact if they block you off. Total disregard for other drivers & pedestrians have no chance whatsoever .............. appalling having to accept this attitude whilst the authorities continue to do absolutely nothing! Stay safe everyone we all realise that we risk life & limb here each day .... cheers