Defendant leaves everyone guessing

rooster59

Defendant leaves everyone guessing

By KASAMAKORN CHANWANPEN 
THE NATION

8f84e92e7c33cc6b6700442a7032b8c0.jpeg

Court rejects plea by ex-pm’s lawyer to defer verdict because she was unwell.

EMBATTLED former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra caught the entire country, including thousands of her supporters and colleagues who had gathered outside the Supreme Court yesterday, by surprise when she failed to turn up to hear the final verdict in the rice-pledging case. As the old saying goes: “To fool your enemy, you must first fool your allies.”

The former PM was expected to show up at the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders yesterday at 9am to hear the judgement in the case in which she is accused of negligence after her administration’s flagship rice-subsidy policy burdened the state with a loss of more than Bt400 billion.

It was a historic case whose outcome was eagerly awaited by many people because of its implications for Thai politics and its potential to dictate the direction the country would take in the years to come. 

Millions of people were tuned in for the latest updates. Thousands came all the way from provinces around the country to the capital, not only to witness history but also to stand beside their beloved politician on her big day. 

Yingluck’s colleagues – key Pheu Thai figures – were also present. So were her close relatives who arrived at the court early morning yesterday to be there for their sister, cousin, and aunt.

Weeks before the judgement day, security measures had been laid out strictly to curb thousands of people expected to be mobilised in the capital to support Yingluck. No reports of measures have been implemented to curb Yingluck from leaving Bangkok or even the Kingdom. 

But little did anyone know that Yingluck would abscond the final court session.

Yingluck may have hinted in her latest Facebook post that she would not meet with her supporters and so they should not go to the court. But nobody imagined her message could be a veiled hint at her own absence from the court.

Dozens of reporters stood in front of Yingluck’s residence in Bangkok’s Bueng Kum district since early morning, following a tip-off that she would leave for the court at 7am for the one-hour drive on the 17-kilometre route to the court. There were no signs of her anywhere although a grey van was seen entering her home at around 7.15am.

Even until as late as 8.15 – 45 minutes before the court appointment time – no one saw it coming that Yingluck would be a no-show.

Reporters were convinced that the former PM had spent the night in one of her houses in Bangkok and would be attending the court; also, there was no effort by her lawyer to seek a postponement of the verdict reading.

When Nation reporters checked with Yingluck’s staff at around 8.13am, they were informed that she would be arriving at the court soon.

It only hit some people that Yingluck might not be present when a black van with vanity licence plate number entered the court five minutes before the appointment time, drawing cheers from the crowd, but it did not bring Yingluck.

By then the gathered people were starting to get frustrated, as they were clueless on what was going on. Because of the court’s ban on use of cellphones and restrictions on people going in and out, many were in the dark about Yingluck’s whereabouts or whether or not she was already in the courtroom.

At the same time, people in the courtroom were also unaware of the situation outside. They were caught up with strict security measures and court rules. 

Looking forward to hear the final verdict in Yingluck’s case in the afternoon, they had no clue that they were about to leave the court room in less than half an hour.

Around 9.30am, the nine-judge ruling panel entered the courtroom. Judge Cheep Junlanon informed that they would cover the “rice-pledging case” first, leaving the audience bewildered. 

521120a52371a4ca7f3dbbc6a2feae3b.jpeg

Without mentioning Yingluck by name and only referring to her as “the defendant”, Cheep said the lawyer of the defendant had requested postponement of the verdict reading because the defendant suffered symptoms of meniere’s disease |and was hence unable to attend court.

He said the prosecutor did not believe the claim because no medical certificate was presented and that the defendant could not be so unwell that she could not attend the court.

Cheep went on almost without pause that the court did not believe the defendant was so unwell that she could not attend the hearing. 

The action was convincing that the defendant was absconding, Cheep said, and hence the court ordered an arrest warrant to be issued and for seizure of the bail amount of Bt30 million.

All the judges stood up and left the courtroom immediately after Cheep finished reading the one-minute statement.

Only when reporters inside the courtroom came outside did everyone realise that Yingluck had failed to turn up. Some of Yingluck’s colleagues who were outside appeared equally bewildered after learning of the news.

Amid rumours that the former PM had already fled the Kingdom, her lawyer Norawich Larlang declined any knowledge of such an action. 

The lawyer said he was only informed by a second-hand source at around 8am that Yingluck was suffering from vertigo and would be absent from the ruling day.

Yingluck was last seen in public on August 23 – two days before the |judgement day – making merit |at Wat Rakhangkhositraram Woramahavihan in Bangkok.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30324923

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-26

20 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Weeks before the judgement day, security measures had been laid out strictly to curb thousands of people expected to be mobilised in the capital to support Yingluck. No reports of measures have been implemented to curb Yingluck from leaving Bangkok or even the Kingdom. 

All I can say is that it is a VERY good thing that Thailand doesn't have any serious external enemies.

When it comes to self preservation of one freedom, all bet are are off

and defenetly honor, commitments and sticking around to fight the fight

are all out of the window to run away and fight another way, that's what

her brother did and surprise surprise that's what she did,

is she a crock? maybe, is she dishonest? that's for sure....

24 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Nah, She was smart and knew the heavy penalties coming to stop her politically and the 'cordon' was relaxed so she could go. You don't think your Junta knew?  They knew she would win any election and that has to be stopped at any cost. If she went to jail she would be in SEVERE danger and any CCTV would be off under 'maintenance'.

Edited by LannaGuy

3 things to consider here.

1) Top junta leaders admit it is possible a "govt official" drove Yingluck to Koh Chang where she allegedly boarded a copter to PP and a private jet onward to Dubai. Now why did Prayuth say this top official would not be dismissed for driving her??

2) Boonsong was acknowledged to be the puppet of Yaowapa, a PTP heavyweight. Why is there no mention of the rotund Yaowapa for her involvement?

3)Siam Indica was the vehicle commanded by Arisman and wife of Arisman. Why are their names not being mentioned.

Although as a serious observer of all things Shin from before he came to power, and not their biggest fan(to put it mildly) I think Yingluck did the right thing doing a runner - she should have run long ago. I say this after observing justice after the coup. Good luck to her, and this marks the dawn of a new era. Thailand post Shin.

If anyone had any doubts at all as to what the verdict in the case was going to be, the speed in which her 30 Million bail was seized and the arrest warrant issued, should dispel them. Yingluck quite probably knew the verdict, so doing a runner was a smart move on her part. You have to wonder though why Prayut wasn't having her watched, to make sure she couldn't do it. He now looks super stupid.

If anyone had any doubts at all as to what the verdict in the case was going to be, the speed in which her 30 Million bail was seized and the arrest warrant issued, should dispel them. Yingluck quite probably knew the verdict, so doing a runner was a smart move on her part. You have to wonder though why Prayut wasn't having her watched, to make sure she couldn't do it. He now looks super stupid.

The Junta had three options, in my opinion, for dealing with the Yingluck "problem".

1 Leave her at liberty, either through an aquittal or some sort of suspended sentence. This would have meant that she would have remained the focus of opposition to the junta, and notwithstanding any political ban, she would have been the central figure if and when they held an election.

2. Jail her. That would quite possibly resulted in the "wheels coming off". Moreover there are probably are factions within the Junta who would have been unable to resist a "sudden rare blood disorder". This could have resulted in the wheels coming off and bouncing down the road!

3. "Persuade her to leave", by threatening a savage jail sentence if she stays.

I suspect the latter, that's why she wasn't stopped, indeed if we are to believe the rumours she was helped.

Two other points: there is the possibility that she has been "disappeared". The longer she remains unaccounted for the more this idea will gain traction - and if it gains traction amongst the mass of her supporters then the junta is back to square one. Secondly, if she does live in exile, will she still be a viable focus for opposition? The lady in Burma managed from house arrest, and all she could do was lean over her garden fence and talk. Add that pesky social media to the mix...

Maybe the general has only bought a temporary reprieve?

51 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

You have to wonder though why Prayut wasn't having her watched, to make sure she couldn't do it. He now looks super stupid.

I have to wonder how you could possible believe they  (the junta) did not have eyes on her 24/7 for weeks.

That they did not know full well & agree with all of this

You have not been long in Thailand if you think this is not all according to Plan A or Plan B

Plan A they gave her the same deal they gave her brother...Leave or die in Jail

They wanted her out..They knew convict her & their time at the trough was over

Plan B she is already buried

Edited by meechai

1 hour ago, FreddieRoyle said:

1) Top junta leaders admit it is possible a "govt official" drove Yingluck to Koh Chang where she allegedly boarded a copter to PP and a private jet onward to Dubai. Now why did Prayuth say this top official would not be dismissed for driving her??

2) Boonsong was acknowledged to be the puppet of Yaowapa, a PTP heavyweight. Why is there no mention of the rotund Yaowapa for her involvement?

3)Siam Indica was the vehicle commanded by Arisman and wife of Arisman. Why are their names not being mentioned.

Although as a serious observer of all things Shin from before he came to power, and not their biggest fan(to put it mildly) I think Yingluck did the right thing doing a runner - she should have run long ago. I say this after observing justice after the coup. Good luck to her, and this marks the dawn of a new era. Thailand post Shin.

She did not do a runner as you put it, She did the correct thing and leave as no way in gods heaven could she get a fair trial here with Mr Frog and his cohorts running the Mafia J thing.

As long as she is ok and turns up safe, she gets my vote as she did the right thing. I look forward to her return to oust those treasonists and make the country work again.

If she is out of the country OK one thing is for sure the country is in a far worse place now, let the rebirth begin.

14 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

I suggest that a select few knew, aided and abetted. And they have stars on their shoulders (no, not bus drivers).

Indeed. One does wonder if we aren't being trolled by both sides...

1 minute ago, bristolgeoff said:

the lawyer knew and was paid well for keeping her secret.he knew  and made a big pay day for it.somehow he may never spend it if he is charged by the courts of what he done

And you know this how?

45 minutes ago, meechai said:

I have to wonder how you could possible believe they  (the junta) did not have eyes on her 24/7 for weeks.

That they did not know full well & agree with all of this

You have not been long in Thailand if you think this is not all according to Plan A or Plan B

Plan A they gave her the same deal they gave her brother...Leave or die in Jail

They wanted her out..They knew convict her & their time at the trough was over

Plan B she is already buried

they had to open the door for her out; either guilty or innocent verdicts would have been bad for them; they are happy she did a runner

Given an explanatory choice between conspiracy and stuffup, the latter is usually the way to go. But this 'stuffup' went all too smoothly and, when the moment came, too quickly. It has the hallmarks - quite unusual in Thailand - of good planning all round.

Shows what the 'top' people are capable of when they put their minds to it!

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Cheep went on almost without pause that the court did not believe the defendant was so unwell that she could not attend the hearing. 

The action was convincing that the defendant was absconding, Cheep said, and hence the court ordered an arrest warrant to be issued and for seizure of the bail amount of Bt30 million.

Good analysis of the situation, that man. 

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

I doubt that his name is eponymous.

3 hours ago, FreddieRoyle said:

"... I think Yingluck did the right thing doing a runner - she should have run long ago."

yes, she should have run before letting her brother make a fool of her as a PM

"...  dawn of a new era. Thailand post Shin."

I agree and hopefully a better one

Edited by sweatalot

she left on Wednesday.

i believe her last message telling everyone not to go to the court (because I'm not) and her photo on facebook were posted from wherever she is now.

her maid, driver, chef, personal assistants, private security and 24/7 military surveillance :cheesy:must have wondered where she was.  

no CCTV cameras around her house(s)?

from her last known location?

the best part is the government saying they have no idea what happened and then providing within hours a very detailed theory of how she left the country. 

but lets hope she is OK because civil war is no fun.

Edited by NCC1701A

Possibly the current administration  adopted and adapted the tactics  shown in the quote below from the  ''The Art of War by Sun Tzu.''

Thus as said ''victory is achieved with no bloodshed.'' 

Or of course it is a classic example of the Thaksin clan  belief that they are above the law and all the people.

The Thaksin clans main aim was and still no doubt is to create their own fiefdom for their own benefit, born again tax farmers (parasites) nothing more than self enriching  corrupt political cowards. Note how they  helped those Red Shirt foot soldier pawns still in prison. The commanders all made money, the  poor bloody Somchai's were shafted  .

Therefore the skillful leader subdues the enemy's troops without any fighting; he captures their cities without laying siege to them; he overthrows their kingdom without lengthy operations in the field. 

With his forces intact he will dispute the mastery of the Empire, and thus, without losing a man, his triumph will be complete. This is the method of attacking by stratagem. 

4 minutes ago, delphioracle said:

Possibly the current administration  adopted and adapted the tactics  shown in the quote below from the  ''The Art of War by Sun Tzu.''

Thus as said ''victory is achieved with no bloodshed.'' 

Or of course it is a classic example of the Thaksin clan  belief that they are above the law and all the people.

The Thaksin clans main aim was and still no doubt is to create their own fiefdom for their own benefit, born again tax farmers (parasites) nothing more than self enriching  corrupt political cowards. Note how they  helped those Red Shirt foot soldier pawns still in prison. The commanders all made money, the  poor bloody Somchai's were shafted  .

Christ almighty. They'll be quoting from the book of Revelations next...

2 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

I suggest that a select few knew, aided and abetted. And they have stars on their shoulders (no, not bus drivers).

I wonder, what happened to the 'grey van' that 'entered her residence at 7.15am'...

Secret service agent, upon seeing a grey van leaving the residence, he's been instructed to guard: "Can I see your papers...?" - Driver: "No have." - Agent: "Never mind. And who's sitting in the back, behind the tinted glass..." - "No-one." - "All right, then..."

11 minutes ago, baboon said:

Christ almighty. They'll be quoting from the book of Revelations next...

"Beware, I am throwing [Jezebel] on a bed, and those who commit adultery with her I am throwing into great distress, unless they repent of her doings; and I will strike her children dead." (NRSV 2:22-23)

42 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

she left on Wednesday.

i believe her last message telling everyone not to go to the court (because I'm not) and her photo on facebook were posted from wherever she is now.

"Thousands came all the way from provinces around the country to the capital, not only to witness history but also to stand beside their beloved politician on her big day..."

Fools!! :ph34r:

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

...and Ooooohhh the loss of face he must be experiencing.......

1 minute ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

All the signs point to a lurch towards authoritarianism, extreme nationalism and trampling of human rights.

Enjoy your "dawn of a new era".

A golden dawn heralding in a new reich that will last for 1000 years...

2 hours ago, Grusa said:

I doubt that his name is eponymous.

Cheap he is not, given his fees and the wealth of his client, but, 'Cheep' is what birds do and at some point down the road, he may start to sing a little about this event..

You name me one person on this planet that is not dishonest.