Phuket Town pharmacy crash leaves man dead

webfact

5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

What is in no doubt is that this vehicle hit a substantial structure at considerable speed. The pole appears undamaged, the only other structure is the building.

What we do not know is when the press photo was taken. It could could well have been taken during the recovery operation and at such an angle that it appeared to have struck the pole.

From  my perspective, the amount of damage to the car and the lack any apparent damage to the pole suggests that the press report is accurate. And why should it not be?

What's very clear to me is that the vehicle did not hit any building.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

You are joking aren't you? 

Or do you not actually live in Thailand, a place where inaccurate press reporting is the norm? 

Your argument, such as it is, has now been reduced to Thai bashing.

An interesting debate as to whether or not the car hit the pole or the building.... 

My input: 

Looking at the second picture (with the Policeman in orange poncho) the damage on the bonnet of the car shows a 90 degree 'wedge' at the area of impact which is also relatively sharp and not rounded.

IMO this indicates that the car did in fact impact the corner of the building and not the pole, which in the first photo because of the positioning of the photograph the pole and car are foreshortened  creating the illusion that the pole is in play. 

I would go as far and suggest that the car hit the corner of the building and bounced back out of position... I suspect the driver may have not been wearing his seatbelt, this crash looks readily survivable... RIP. 

10 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Your argument, such as it is, has now been reduced to Thai bashing.

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say.

Who said the journalists in question were Thai, or did you just assume so?

If so you are the one guilty of Thai bashing not me.

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

An interesting debate as to whether or not the car hit the pole or the building.... 

My input: 

Looking at the second picture (with the Policeman in orange poncho) the damage on the bonnet of the car shows a 90 degree 'wedge' at the area of impact which is also relatively sharp and not rounded.

IMO this indicates that the car did in fact impact the corner of the building and not the pole, which in the first photo because of the positioning of the photograph the pole and car are foreshortened  creating the illusion that the pole is in play. 

I would go as far and suggest that the car hit the corner of the building and bounced back out of position... I suspect the driver may have not been wearing his seatbelt, this crash looks readily survivable... RIP. 

I am very familair with that junction. Hard to know how the driver could be going so fast. Also note that the car is on the outside of the left corner pole so could not have hit the building. Even if he had hit the bulding I see no damage to the building frontage. I have said before and I say again that I cannot reconcil the story line and the photo evidence.

57 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

It seems very reasonable to assume that a local Thai news medium employs Thai journalists.

1 hour ago, phuketjock said:

So, the Phuket News is not a Thai news agency and Eakkapop Thongtub is not a Thai name. Is that what you are seriously trying to assert?

Sorry pal, your argument just gets weaker with every line you write.

7 minutes ago, stevenl said:

It seems very reasonable to assume that a local Thai news medium employs Thai journalists.

My point stevenl is that i was not criticising the journos because they were Thai but rather for their poor

standards as journalists, which I am quite sure you already know.

3 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

So, the Phuket News is not a Thai news agency and Eakkapop Thongtub is not a Thai name. Is that what you are seriously trying to assert?

Sorry pal, your argument just gets weaker with every line you write.

It would seem you are the one making all the assertions not me, so you are seriously asserting that the standard 

of journalism in Thailand leaves nothing to be desired then, it is always spot on then??

I am not making an argument merely stating a well renowned fact PAL.

2 hours ago, phuketjock said:

It would seem you are the one making all the assertions not me, so you are seriously asserting that the standard 

of journalism in Thailand leaves nothing to be desired then, it is always spot on then??

I am not making an argument merely stating a well renowned fact PAL.

I am emphatically not suggesting Thai journalism is, in all cases, correct. I fact I wouldn't suggest that of journalism anywhere in the world. Including my own original country, the UK.

But in this particular case, the reported facts and the photos that are available seem perfectly credible to me and others. That car hit that building.

Personally phuketjock, I think that you have reduced yourself to arguing for arguing's sake.

Edited by Moonlover

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

Who cares what he hit first....he's gone to God for bad driving!............waiting for responses:))

Now that's one comment for which there is no evidence to support it.  (But I am biased on these issues)

In the OP first pic it very much looks like the tow truck is pulling the car back from the pole.

otherwise why would the tow truck be in the position that it is?

In the third of the additional pics there is a definite slight, but noticeable, bend in the possibly

offending pole. not conclusive by any means but the best yet to indicate an impact on the

pole by the car.

26 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

In the OP first pic it very much looks like the tow truck is pulling the car back from the pole.

otherwise why would the tow truck be in the position that it is?

In the third of the additional pics there is a definite slight, but noticeable, bend in the possibly

offending pole. not conclusive by any means but the best yet to indicate an impact on the

pole by the car.

I missed that. The first photo has the tow truck behing I assume to pull the car away from the pole. Then in a later shot taken from the tow truck he has repositioned with a line to turn the front end round. I assume he then hooks up to the car and tows away. Case solved. I rest my case ...

So much for the smart painting they have put on nearly every intersection around Thalang road. Painted asphalt and cobblestones mixed with rain...unbelievable engineering :huh:. Btw where was he coming from :unsure:.....a few degrees more and the car stands in the opposite direction to one way driving down Thepkasatri road!

Edited by Felt 35

On 8/28/2017 at 0:42 PM, Psimbo said:

some people are able to fall asleep at the wheel

Some people are asleep at the wheel, in life....

Driving at a high speed on a city street, and not wearing a seatbelt put someone in the asleep at the wheel category. (aka; what a stupid mofo) 

On 8/29/2017 at 0:26 PM, LivinginKata said:

I missed that. The first photo has the tow truck behing I assume to pull the car away from the pole. Then in a later shot taken from the tow truck he has repositioned with a line to turn the front end round. I assume he then hooks up to the car and tows away. Case solved. I rest my case ...

From the complete lack of any comments whatsoever from the anti-pole collision and accurate reporting 

theorists I have to presume that they have all changed there minds???

59 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

From the complete lack of any comments whatsoever from the anti-pole collision and accurate reporting 

theorists I have to presume that they have all changed there minds???

Or they may have decided to let you two get on it between yourselves and let you be happy you have found your conclusion.

35 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

So you do not agree with my conclusion .... so what's your theory ?? 

In contrast to some others I am not speculating with limited, or not sufficient, information.

18 minutes ago, stevenl said:

In contrast to some others I am not speculating with limited, or not sufficient, information.

Really Steven ... really. That is a really wimpy answer from someone as vocal as you are on this forum.

So, let's look at the visual evidence. Tow truck behind (we assume to  pull out from pole), tow truck to side pulling onto raod. So that's not enough visual evidence for you ....dream on baby or are you just trolling ?

24 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Really Steven ... really. That is a really wimpy answer from someone as vocal as you are on this forum.

So, let's look at the visual evidence. Tow truck behind (we assume to  pull out from pole), tow truck to side pulling onto raod. So that's not enough visual evidence for you ....dream on baby or are you just trolling ?

With the story saying something different and the photos confusing, by your own admission, I can only conclude it is not clear to me what happened.

Now you may have a different opinion, but to claim I am trolling is only based on your own ideas what happened.