TOT internet

Davejf2017

I have just resubscribed to TOT internet and have just upped the speed from 30 meg to 50 meg download speed.I have done a speed test and using a wire to laptop am getting 50 meg but when using wireless am getting 25 meg download speed.I have just had a TOT engineer come to check this and he said it is ok to only get 50% speed when wireless.I personally think I am being ripped off.What is anyone elses opinion on this.When I had fibre internet in UK it never dropped to half the advertised speed are all internet providers in Thailand the same.I look forward to reading your comments on this.

Can you check the properties of the wireless connection?

There should be an indicator for the WiFi connection speed.

What operating system, Windows?

You would need 100 (!) Mbit/s to get the full 50 Mbit/s download speed (half duplex). So there is some truth behind what the ToT man told you (even though he didn't go deep).

Under bad circumstances it could well happen that the established connection is slower than 100 Mbit/s.

To my knowledge the problem can't be solved by the ISP except for providing a better router (with antennas etc.).

Or you get a WiFi adapter with antenna.

Have you moved the laptop closer to the router?

For comparison:

My cheapo mobile phone will never connect with 100 MBit/s.

72 MBit/s is the theoretical limit.

I often get worse like 24 (!).

Can't help with MacBook (diagnosing wifi speed).

Never touched one. Would need to google.

But this is THE point to check.

At what speed does the MacBook connect to the WiFi router.

What model/type is the router?

What model is the MacBook?

There was a least one similar thread in the past where someone upgraded to 200 Mbit/s and had to realize that he would never reach this by wireless with his existing equipment (router/laptop).

Your case is a level below but as said I can't tell you whether your MacBook connects with 100 Mbit/s or more.

?:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3767751?tstart=0

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/38628/how-to-see-your-current-wi-fi-connection-speed-in-mac-os-x/

I am a TOT subscriber with 100Mbs down which has been working at full speed with wifi but for the last two days has dropped down to 50Mbps.
I think it is a TOT issue and of course, has nothing to do with wired or wireless. There might be a very minor difference in speed but never 50%.

I live very close to my local TOT office and will be over there in the morning.

I'll post whatever I find out about the drop in speeed.

7 minutes ago, Headgame said:

I am a TOT subscriber with 100Mbs down which has been working at full speed with wifi but for the last two days has dropped down to 50Mbps.
I think it is a TOT issue and of course, has nothing to do with wired or wireless. There might be a very minor difference in speed but never 50%.

I live very close to my local TOT office and will be over there in the morning.

I'll post whatever I find out about the drop in speeed.

I doubt you ever got 100Mb down over a WIFI connection.

6 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

For comparison:

My cheapo mobile phone will never connect with 100 MBit/s.

72 MBit/s is the theoretical limit.

I often get worse like 24 (!).

Below are REAL life speeds over WIFI, you need a really top notch router and ideal circumstances to get 100Mbps over WIFI, and I doubt TOT provides those routers.

https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-the-actual-real-life-speed-of-wireless-374

Below is a breakdown of actual real-life average speeds you can expect from wireless routers within a reasonable distance, with low interference and small number of simultaneous clients:

802.11b - 2-3 Mbps downstream, up to 5-6 Mbps with some vendor-specific extensions.
802.11g - ~20 Mbps downstream
802.11n - 40-50 Mbps typical, varying greatly depending on configuration, whether it is mixed or N-only network, the number of bonded channels, etc. Specifying a channel, and using 40MHz channels can help achieve 70-80Mbps with some newer routers. Up to 100 Mbps achievable with more expensive commercial equipment with 8x8 arrays, gigabit ports, etc.
802.11ac - 70-100+ Mbps typical, higher speeds (200+ Mbps) possible over short distances without many obstacles, with newer generation 802.11ac routers, and client adapters capable of multiple streams.

OP,  

Since you are getting full speed with an ethernet connection between the router and your computer but much less on a Wifi connection, the problem is purely a capabilities/settings/driver problem with your router and/or computer.   

What Wifi band is your TOT provided router setup to broadcast on?   That is, 2.4Ghz and/or 5Ghz?   Not uncommon for the routers provided by ISP to only have 2.4Ghz band capability.   If it's using the 2.4Ghz band you could very well be maxing out the Wifi speed capability for the router and the Wifi receiving circuit in your computer.  Very common for the max Wifi speed obtainable on the 2.4Ghz band with a 40Mhz bandwidth setting to be in the 50 to 75Mb ballpark. If the 2.4Ghz bandwidth setting is set to the usual default of 20Mhz then you'll probably just get in the 30Mb to 50Mb ballpark.   

Now if your router and computer are making a 5Ghz band Wifi connection, then you should be able to get the full 100Mb speed when the router and computer are close together....no obstacles between them.

What is the specific model number and manufacturer of your the TOT provider router?   With that info a person can determine whether it's a 2.4 and/or 5Ghz band router and other specs which affect max Wifi speed.

1 hour ago, Headgame said:

But in clear contrast to what the OP describes and other posts:

wired vs. wireless.

One trivial point about the OP :

of course I assume that the ToT engineer with his wired laptop and you on the MacBook use the same site to do the speed test. Just saying. It was not so clear from the OP.

1 hour ago, janclaes47 said:

I doubt you ever got 100Mb down over a WIFI connection.

OK, whatever.

I regularly check my speed with the Speedtest app but I guess its wrong and you are right. BTW, same speeds on my iPhone. I will still report back what I find out in the morning.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

OP,  

Since you are getting full speed with an ethernet connection between the router and your computer but much less on a Wifi connection, the problem is purely a capabilities/settings/driver problem with your router and/or computer.   

What Wifi band is your TOT provided router setup to broadcast on?   That is, 2.4Ghz and/or 5Ghz?   Not uncommon for the routers provided by ISP to only have 2.4Ghz band capability.   If it's using the 2.4Ghz band you could very well be maxing out the Wifi speed capability for the router and the Wifi receiving circuit in your computer.  Very common for the max Wifi speed obtainable on the 2.4Ghz band with a 40Mhz bandwidth setting to be in the 50 to 75Mb ballpark. If the 2.4Ghz bandwidth setting is set to the usual default of 20Mhz then you'll probably just get in the 30Mb to 50Mb ballpark.   

Now if your router and computer are making a 5Ghz band Wifi connection, then you should be able to get the full 100Mb speed when the router and computer are close together....no obstacles between them.

What is the specific model number and manufacturer of your the TOT provider router?   With that info a person can determine whether it's a 2.4 and/or 5Ghz band router and other specs which affect max Wifi speed.

I increased my service from TOT from 50Mbs to 100Mbs and had to get a new 50Ghz router to deliver the higher speeds so you're quite right that the router will affect the ability to get the higher speeds.

1 hour ago, muratremix said:

Yet another wifi thread... Isps need to print and provide brochures / papers to new subscribers. Tech education is a must! It may also reduce unncessary calls to callcenter hotline.

You can tech train and print docs all day long but them crazy ISP call center questions and requests just keep on coming. 

There would be an immediate 20% drop in calls if people would just take a coffee sit down and think for 5 minutes. They might then remember the wireless password or realize the modems not plugged in.

And don't even get started on the speed check calls, as they enter a completely different dimension.

When someone calls the ISP call center to ask how to tune a Samsung TV you know there's some real problems out there.

6 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Below are REAL life speeds over WIFI, you need a really top notch router and ideal circumstances to get 100Mbps over WIFI, and I doubt TOT provides those routers.

https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-is-the-actual-real-life-speed-of-wireless-374

Below is a breakdown of actual real-life average speeds you can expect from wireless routers within a reasonable distance, with low interference and small number of simultaneous clients:

802.11b - 2-3 Mbps downstream, up to 5-6 Mbps with some vendor-specific extensions.
802.11g - ~20 Mbps downstream
802.11n - 40-50 Mbps typical, varying greatly depending on configuration, whether it is mixed or N-only network, the number of bonded channels, etc. Specifying a channel, and using 40MHz channels can help achieve 70-80Mbps with some newer routers. Up to 100 Mbps achievable with more expensive commercial equipment with 8x8 arrays, gigabit ports, etc.
802.11ac - 70-100+ Mbps typical, higher speeds (200+ Mbps) possible over short distances without many obstacles, with newer generation 802.11ac routers, and client adapters capable of multiple streams.

I have TOT fiber. I believe I got their supplied standard router, "ZTE, ZXHN F670", which has two Wifi-channels with 3 antennas at 2.4GHz and 5GHz and 802.11n as fastest wifi-speed. Depending of antennes 802.11n should be possible to operate up to 150 Mbps, but probably not with the standard TOT router (some documents mention 4 antennas at 5GHz). It's also depending of how the device in the other end, the laptop, performs. But I'm not an expert, so I better rest my case here...:smile:

You will always get a slower speed when using WIFI. Your notebook has a max speed it can connect at. ie: My 2009 MacBook Pro maxes out at 300mbps and my 2016 MacAir at 1000mbps.

That is the speed between the Mac and the router and if you put your mouse over the wifi icon, hold down the option key and click/tap once and the Mac will display all the wifi info you will ever need..

I changed to 3BB in Phuket and got what I was promised. TOT has lousy service and its not available on weekends and holidays.  If you call 3 times they get angry and will ignore you. TOT is the worst of all when I talk to my friends as well.

11 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

This has more to do with the router then it does with TOT I would suggest you get a different router 

Can you advise on this? I pay for 80 Mbps but am lucky to get 30 on my fibre optic. Do you know what r outer is effective?

Even if you have the most expensive router and wireless system in the world, wireless channels are limited and shared with other users. 10cm thick walls and lack of real iron inside then will make it other wi-fi signals roam freely in your home, resulting tens of other wifi signals unless you live in a Single house with big garden (or in a Village). I get over 15 wifi signals in my modern townhouse. If in a condo, this number can easily reach 30 or more.

Thanks to ISPs even 5ghz is crowded now. A few years ago, I was the only one using 5ghz in my street, now several more added :) 

2 hours ago, jobwolf said:

I changed to 3BB in Phuket and got what I was promised. TOT has lousy service and its not available on weekends and holidays.  If you call 3 times they get angry and will ignore you. TOT is the worst of all when I talk to my friends as well.

That might be the case for TOT Phuket but it's not the case in Hat Yai. We've been with TOT for more than thirteen years, from dial-up through ADSL to fibre and we've always had generally good connections and good service.

Internet in Thailand is something of a postcode lottery, you can't say one is better than the other nationwide, you need to see what's the best option in your area.

Re the OP, did you try a wired connection from your laptop to make the comparison?

2 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

Can you advise on this? I pay for 80 Mbps but am lucky to get 30 on my fibre optic. Do you know what  router is effective?

Are you talking only 30Mb when making a Wifi connection with your router or when having an ethernet connection?

If you are only getting that with an Ethernet connection, then you just have a problem with your fiber optics line/account....call your ISP.  The problem could be a bad router, but most likely its just a bad fiber optics line/overloaded local circuits which another router will not fix.  If 80Mb is not even arriving to your router, well, the router can only pass along the amount of speed it gets....its can't turn an incoming 30Mb speed into 80Mb speed. 

But if you get the 80Mb via Ethernet but not with a Wifi connection, then you just have a router-computer setup, computer driver, or capabilities problem.  One common problem is using the 2.4Ghz band which has much less bandwidth/speed capability compared to using the 5Ghz band.

If only 30Mb when using a Wifi connection, I would recommend you check what band you are using.  That is, 2.4 or 5Ghz.  If using 2.4Ghz for whatever reason like the router only came with 2.4Ghz capability is to go into the router settings and change the bandwith setting from 20 to 40Mhz....that simple action will usually double you Wifi speed.  

But if  you are making a 5Ghz connection, you should have no problem getting 80Mb Wifi speed if you are in the same room with the router with no obstacles between your computer and router.  Now if you router and computer are separated by obstacles like walls/floors/furniture or just too far away, your max Wifi speed will be significantly reduced whether you are using the 2.4 or 5Ghz band.

Of course this also assumes the computer/smartphone/tablet/etc., you are using also has 5Ghz capability vs 2.4Ghz capability only.   I still have one tablet and one smartphone that only has 2.4Ghz capability....all my remaining devices have 2.4 and 5Ghz capability. So, I have my routers setup to broadcast both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands.

And remember, "both" the router and device on the other end (computer/smartphone/etc) must have the capability to reach Wifi speed XYZ.....the ol' "weakest link in the chain" saying.

A WiFi analyzer app can help find the least congested channel in a condo block etc. Often everyone has the same ISP and standard router, everyone is on channel 11 etc and WiFi is slow because of channel congestion.

TOT Update.

The TOT dudes came this afternoon and made some tweaks to my settings and I am again getting 100+Mbps download speeds.

You can get those speeds over wifi as long as you have the right router and make sure you have a 5Ghz connection..

SpeedTest_8-3-17_1-30PM.png

On 30/08/2017 at 10:25 AM, Pib said:

Are you talking only 30Mb when making a Wifi connection with your router or when having an ethernet connection?

If you are only getting that with an Ethernet connection, then you just have a problem with your fiber optics line/account....call your ISP.  The problem could be a bad router, but most likely its just a bad fiber optics line/overloaded local circuits which another router will not fix.  If 80Mb is not even arriving to your router, well, the router can only pass along the amount of speed it gets....its can't turn an incoming 30Mb speed into 80Mb speed. 

But if you get the 80Mb via Ethernet but not with a Wifi connection, then you just have a router-computer setup, computer driver, or capabilities problem.  One common problem is using the 2.4Ghz band which has much less bandwidth/speed capability compared to using the 5Ghz band.

If only 30Mb when using a Wifi connection, I would recommend you check what band you are using.  That is, 2.4 or 5Ghz.  If using 2.4Ghz for whatever reason like the router only came with 2.4Ghz capability is to go into the router settings and change the bandwith setting from 20 to 40Mhz....that simple action will usually double you Wifi speed.  

But if  you are making a 5Ghz connection, you should have no problem getting 80Mb Wifi speed if you are in the same room with the router with no obstacles between your computer and router.  Now if you router and computer are separated by obstacles like walls/floors/furniture or just too far away, your max Wifi speed will be significantly reduced whether you are using the 2.4 or 5Ghz band.

Of course this also assumes the computer/smartphone/tablet/etc., you are using also has 5Ghz capability vs 2.4Ghz capability only.   I still have one tablet and one smartphone that only has 2.4Ghz capability....all my remaining devices have 2.4 and 5Ghz capability. So, I have my routers setup to broadcast both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands.

And remember, "both" the router and device on the other end (computer/smartphone/etc) must have the capability to reach Wifi speed XYZ.....the ol' "weakest link in the chain" saying.

Thanks for your detailed reply. I will try to absorb the information. TOT sent me a new SIM possibly installing this is an upgrade and may improve my speed.

1 hour ago, maoro2013 said:

Thanks for your detailed reply. I will try to absorb the information. TOT sent me a new SIM possibly installing this is an upgrade and may improve my speed.

Don't know how a SIM that you install in a smartphone/3G modem/tablet/etc.,  type device is going to help you with your "fiber optics" internet plan.  

• 1 month later...
On 29/08/2017 at 8:37 PM, Pib said:

OP,  

I have changed the settings in the router to 5Ghz and am now getting full speed as TOT got with wired connection wireless.Very easy to do.

Archived