Thai banknote missing some printed text

I’ve just realised I have a 100 Baht note which appears to have missed part of the printing process.

It’s a new style 100 Baht note. I assume it’s genuine, comparing to others it seems the same, even on the back it has vertical gold coloured foil with the ‘100’s in it.

However, on the front right-hand-side where there should be a ‘100’ as a hologram and an emblem, a complete vertical strip about 7mm wide, is completely missing with a blank white area instead.

What’s the best thing to do with it?

Hold on to it for posterity, surrender it to a bank/Bank Of Thailand, or is it likely to have some value to a collector willing to buy it?

I could post an image of it here for clarification, if that’s allowed?

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Yes, it does have a unique number..

Do you have any knowledge of where overseas? Via a  website, or some other option where i could find a suggestion of the value?

Nah, I did sell some old commemorative coins on Ebay. Keep it in as pristine condition as possible. There are plenty of websites to research values. Don't believe a dealer. Don't rush in and take the first price. Do tons of research first. Don't involve Thai government entities who will give you 10 different answers on different days.

Best of luck. Hope you cash in.

I've got several Bt100 notes as described by the OP in my billfold right now....it's just the older note.

I also have several of the newer notes with the hologram.

Various Bt100 versions in circulation...older ones with slightly different design that the new ones.

25 minutes ago, Pib said:

I've got several Bt100 notes as described by the OP in my billfold right now....it's just the older note.

I also have several of the newer notes with the hologram.

Various Bt100 versions in circulation...older ones with slightly different design that the new ones.

No it isn't. I have just said it is the new design with the hologram.

(edit:) The image below is one I googled. Mine has the two '100's on the right missing completely.

image.png.d70c079c247cc93ae8f33903c635e3bc.png

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

No it isn't. I have just said it is the new design with the hologram.

What you said was: Quote: However, on the front right-hand-side where there should be a ‘100’ as a hologram and an emblem, a complete vertical strip about 7mm wide, is completely missing with a blank white area instead. End Quote.

And I repeat I have several of those in my billfold right now...it's the older series of notes...and maybe that note you have is in really good condition....hasn't change hands much....still looks new.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

complete vertical strip about 7mm wide, is completely missing with a blank white area instead.

Does it look like in this older thread?

In this case: don't put 100 Baht notes in the washing machine :biggrin:

Shortly after this thread was opened I had one on my own.

Handed it over during a visit at my Bangkok Bank branch and it was exchanged without raising an eyebrow.

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Does it look like in this older thread?

In this case: don't put 100 Baht notes in the washing machine :biggrin:

Shortly after this thread was opened I had one on my own.

Handed it over during a visit at my Bangkok Bank branch and it was exchanged without raising an eyebrow.

Yes, it's exactly like that one. Thanks KhunBENQ.

I've just read the thread and realised there must be tens of thousands of them (at least) in circulation.

Oh well, it's pretty worthless - apart from a hundred baht.

I'm glad someone believed me anyway. Saved me having to post an image here.

My wife got a fake 500 baht note from our local Tesco Lotus Esso. She stopped at KFC and they caught it and refused it. She gave me the bill and was so fake she was embarassed. I took the bill back to the Tesco and complained to the Manager. Manager and I went through the security tape noting the time stamp of the receipt my wife luckily kept. So we saw my wife hand over 1000 note and the teller hand back change with the 500 on the bottom with the smaller bills on top with the receipt on the very top. We could see my wife just take the change in one hand with her bags in the other and walk out without looking at the change. So the Manager said we can do nothing because my wife didnt check the change. I then said well your cashier is a Kamoy (thief) and I'm going to report to the police. Manager has blank look. Get home and wife convinces me to drop it, its only 500 baht and we are not Thai and will just make trouble for us. So I kept the bill for a couple years and finally shredded it. The bill was a good color photo copy on good paper but no water mark and the hollogram strip was like that gift hollogram sticker ribbon you can buy at B2S for gift wrapping. Moral of the story,  always check your change. 

A currency exchange shop in Kathmandu also pointed out some subtle irregularities on some new notes I got from Thai Commercial bank that I tried to change. There was quite a discussion among the guys in the shop, they had to phone someone but after the call they decided to buy what I was trying to sell. I had to agree, it looked like there were some problems with the printer or something, some of the notes didn't look quite all there. Just par for the course, really, around these parts, though that said obviously neither I nor even the exchange shop people are experts on the nuances of Thai bill design and what is OK and what isn't, nor is it considered to be any of our business I suppose, it is not like the Thai baht is taken seriously by many outside Thailand. I really have never understood why there never seems to be any standard to the thickness and size of coins, such that it is tricky to get vending machines such as BTS ticket machines to accept coins. With such slack standards you really are inviting people to print their own money. But as with most things it just doesn't matter.

15 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Yes, it's exactly like that one. Thanks KhunBENQ.

I've just read the thread and realised there must be tens of thousands of them (at least) in circulation.

Oh well, it's pretty worthless - apart from a hundred baht.

I'm glad someone believed me anyway. Saved me having to post an image here.

So it was a print error, and there were tens of thousands of them actually released into circulation with it?? 

3 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

So it was a print error, and there were tens of thousands of them actually released into circulation with it?? 

In the end, no. I'm not going to be rich selling the banknote I have.

I originally said that it " appears to have missed part of the printing process ", as I thought that was what happened.

After KhunBENQ kindly supplied a link to an earlier post, it was explained that by leaving the new design 100 Baht note in a washing machine, the vertical strip can be washed out.

I guessed at tens of thousands, given the number of people who have probably been involved in this involuntary money-laundering scheme by leaving cash in their pockets when washing clothes.

You can read the post here: 

20 hours ago, RBOP said:

My wife got a fake 500 baht note from our local Tesco Lotus Esso. She stopped at KFC and they caught it and refused it. She gave me the bill and was so fake she was embarassed. I took the bill back to the Tesco and complained to the Manager. Manager and I went through the security tape noting the time stamp of the receipt my wife luckily kept. So we saw my wife hand over 1000 note and the teller hand back change with the 500 on the bottom with the smaller bills on top with the receipt on the very top. We could see my wife just take the change in one hand with her bags in the other and walk out without looking at the change. So the Manager said we can do nothing because my wife didnt check the change. I then said well your cashier is a Kamoy (thief) and I'm going to report to the police. Manager has blank look. Get home and wife convinces me to drop it, its only 500 baht and we are not Thai and will just make trouble for us. So I kept the bill for a couple years and finally shredded it. The bill was a good color photo copy on good paper but no water mark and the hollogram strip was like that gift hollogram sticker ribbon you can buy at B2S for gift wrapping. Moral of the story,  always check your change. 

Gee , Im really shocked the Manager didnt apologise profusely , replace the 500 baht and offer you a gift voucher as well ! LOL. Shredding the note was smart. Some local cop would have loved to arrest a farang for forgery !

A bit off topic but for anyone going to Myanmar with USD...make sure they are absolutely in pristine condition...don't trust the currency exchange at swampy....check every single note. 

I got knocked back a few times with what looked ok to me, but not so bad if you can get kyat at the atm and can get some cash.....make sure your bank is ok with this first.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:30 PM, bluesofa said:

In the end, no. I'm not going to be rich selling the banknote I have.

I originally said that it " appears to have missed part of the printing process ", as I thought that was what happened.

After KhunBENQ kindly supplied a link to an earlier post, it was explained that by leaving the new design 100 Baht note in a washing machine, the vertical strip can be washed out.

I guessed at tens of thousands, given the number of people who have probably been involved in this involuntary money-laundering scheme by leaving cash in their pockets when washing clothes.

You can read the post here: 

Interesting how "neatly" laundering removes just that nice even strip of color from the note, leaving razor sharp boundaries.  I would have thought that laundering would leave the note more blotched and blurry.   But I do see from the entire illustration that that is a differentiated area of the note, so I guess the inks used there are simply different and subject to being washed out of the note whereas the rest of the note is "colorfast".

Archived