Computer Fan Really Loud

paperwerks

My Acer that I bought at Data IT/pantip about 18 months ago has been very reliable but lately the computer fan inside is getting very noisy. Something is up with it. I think a fan needs to be replaced but am not sure.

Can any one suggest which shop to take it to at Pantip? There are so many that I don't know which one might be able to get the job done safely and cheaply. Can it be fixed the same day? Thanks in advance.

Is this a desktop or a notebook?

For a notebook you should go to the Acer service centre.

It's a desktop. Kind of sounds like a little hurricane is going on in there revving up and down. Would you take it to the Acer service center at Pantip (do they have one?) or try to get one of the kids in one of the back shops to try and fix it? Some of them are very smart and I would prefer them but I'm not sure which shop is good.

If it's a desktop, you can do one of two things. You can replace the fan which is about as easy as popping in a memory stick, or you could "fix" the loud fan. Take the fan out. If there is a sticker on the front of it (where the fan blades spin from), carefully peel it away. Behind it should be a hole. Put a drop of household oil (3-in-1 oil) in there and spin the fan a few times. Put the stick back in place and replace the fan. It should be quiet now. Don't forget to blow out any dust in the tower since it is open...that is, if it's a desktop.

However if the noise is coming form the Power Supply shut it down and replace the whole power supply for about 400 baht. Simple job! If not up to it let the guy where you buy the Power Supply do it for you for a pittance. Get it done quickly while you still hear noise. Overheating of a computer can have far reaching consequences!

There are many fans in the computer, so you have to figure it out which fan is making noise by opening the casing. Typically a computer has following fans:

1. Fan in the Power Supply, solution is change it, as other poster said, it would cost only THB400/=

2. Fan on the processor, replace the fan. Try to find the Intel/AMD dealer in Panthip n replace it with genuine fan only.

3. Fan on the Graphic/Display Card, replace it with the genuine fan

4. Fan in the casing, either oil it, as other poster said, or replace it with any brand, no problem.

If you want me to check it, I can fix it for u. No services charges just a beer. :o

If not up to it let the guy where you buy the Power Supply do it for you for a pittance. Get it done quickly while you still hear noise. Overheating of a computer can have far reaching consequences!

I think this is the best advice. If you don't know anything about the fans in your computer you are probably better off taking it somewhere as you originally planned. It is cheap and they can diagnose the problem better than we can without seeing/hearing it. There are many things that can cause fan noise, most easily fixed. Your discription of reving up and down could indicate a heating problem rather than a fan problem. It could be you are not getting proper airflow and the fan spins faster (and louder) to compensate. A faulty heat sensor could also cause this fan reving. Take it to someone who knows what they are hearing and seeing.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am worried that it might be the power fan because it is pushing out a lot of hot air and the air screen in the back is really hot to the touch. I am going to shut it down now and lug it over to Pantip and find someone to fix it before it overheats.