No More Multiple Entry O From Singapore

The Thai Embassy in Singapore have *just* told me in person that they no longer issue multiple entry non immigrant "O" visas.

Despite being married to a Thai, having two children with Thai nationality and meeting the financial requirements, the embassy will only issue a single entry.

There were many people scratching their heads in disbelief this morning, especially as the prices on the wall show that a multiple "O is $220 and will increase to $250 on 1st May, even though they are not issuing them.

I am also aggrieved that certain members of this forum have advised that Singapore is the best place to get a multiple "O" when it seems that as from Tuesday 22nd April they have not been issuing them. The muslim lady was friendly and apologised, but said they were given this directive from central government.

Another nail in the coffin for Thailand, the unfairness and inconsistency of the immigration policy knows no bounds.

Best Regards.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Thai Embassy in Singapore have *just* told me in person that they no longer issue multiple entry non immigrant "O" visas.

Despite being married to a Thai, having two children with Thai nationality and meeting the financial requirements, the embassy will only issue a single entry.

There were many people scratching their heads in disbelief this morning, especially as the prices on the wall show that a multiple "O is $220 and will increase to $250 on 1st May, even though they are not issuing them.

I am also aggrieved that certain members of this forum have advised that Singapore is the best place to get a multiple "O" when it seems that as from Tuesday 22nd April they have not been issuing them. The muslim lady was friendly and apologised, but said they were given this directive from central government.

Another nail in the coffin for Thailand, the unfairness and inconsistency of the immigration policy knows no bounds.

Best Regards.

Perhaps an attempt to capitalise on the increased on May 1st ?

Best Regards.

"

I am also aggrieved that certain members of this forum have advised that Singapore is the best place to get a multiple "O" "

if you read most of threads it becomes very clear that the visa renewal process at all consute/embassys is inconsistant and at best staff lack knowledge and respect, nothing is 100% and many on here quote from there own experiances and hearsay, ie youre saying this now, what are we to assume if someone posts tommorow they got one?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161340

however ya didnt get one, but dont let it piss ya off try kl maybe or pennang or laos,

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=158561

Good luck

chris

Hi,

Inconsistencies, tell me about it !

When she told me she could only issue a single entry, I was in half a mind to jump on the next AirAsia flight to KL and have a go there, but in the end opted for the single entry here.

It is probably a good idea to let the dust settle and see what the options are (if any) 3 months down the road.

The biggest pain is the flights are expensive, hotels are expensive, food is expensive and I'm stuck here now 'til tomorrow night haemorraghing money only to return with a 90 stamp.

Still, life goes on and theres not much point in moaning, I'll just have to re-evaluate the options in 3 months.

Cheers

Best Regards.

Seems extremely weird...

Edit: wonder if this will apply to those who are residing in Thailand only and coming down to SG purely for visa renewal - ie. they're expecting you to now apply for extension of stay when back in the kingdom - or whether it will apply to the fairly substantial contingent (like me) who are resident in SG but have wives / other links in Thailand. Time will tell ... :o

Edited by Captain Chaos

It seems to me that they are trying to push everyone that is living in Thailand into extensions of stay instead of multiple entry visa. I guess they figure if you are living here, you should be on an extension of stay, and if you just come in and out a lot, then a visa is for you.

Wahhh, I'm on my last 90 day which ends in July and was supposed to renew the non-O then in SG, the last one ever as we're moving to Canada but are waiting for my wife's PR card and have no idea how long the process will take. After 3 successive One Year Extensions I was denied one last year because of these stupid inconsistencies and had to go with multiple entries :o, and now this?

Glad we're moving out of here and never have to deal with them again, the headaches, time and money wasted.

Dunno what I'll do if this is true, I don't want to leave wife and son here alone for any period of time.

"I am also aggrieved that certain members of this forum have advised that Singapore is the best place to get a multiple "O" when it seems that as from Tuesday 22nd April they have not been issuing them. The muslim lady was friendly and apologised, but said they were given this directive from central government."

Have people been pushing Singapore since April 22nd? - are you expecting psychic powers from those before?

I have long said Singapore does not act rationally. I can not get multiple entry Non-IMM "B" and neither can my VP or anyone else. We have to visit Thailand on business a number of times a year and we work for the regional HQ of a very large MNC ad we employ a lot of people in Thailand too - single Visa's only which we do not bother getting

There are many others in this position.

Best Regards.

Hmm Maybe off topic but I think that the "nice Muslim lady' does have her bad days and makes her own mind up.

When I was doing the tourist visa thing some time ago, I had, I think, 2 from Singapore so I went to apply again.

Previously she was always polite and maybe it was 3 because she recognized me, Anyway, the story continues.

On my 3rd or 4th visit there basically she was late to get into work, its was raining, people were pissed off waiting for the window to open and eventually another girl opened the window and processed the 1st few applications.

The "nice Muslim lady" came stomping in, piss wet through about 20 Mins later and guess who was her first customer, Yes it was me.

She took one look at me and snapped, Too many tourist visas, Go back again on a stamp ! I was shocked, she didn't even take my passport, She wasn't interested in anything !

I had to go back to the hotel, Get a flight to HK the same day and simply got a Visa there, Geeeze I was so mad but what can you do when she wont even take your dam_n passport.

So after that experience I don't care what the rules or laws are, If you come face to face with a grumpy person and they simply say NO, Your stuffed !, And your also confused because you don't know if you have been denied due to the posted laws or simply denied because Mr or Mrs Grumpy had a bad hair day.

Why on earth didn't she tell me on the last application so simply not come back again ?

I suspect this may have also been the case with the OP. I might be right, I might be wrong, I just know that this was her attitude when she was late for work :-)

Have you picked up that nasty Thai habit of blaming foreigners and the rest of the world, in this case a working Islamic woman and rain water instead of a government made up mostly of criminals, incompetents and clowns and their strange directives? You`re asking for it on back to back tourist visas to begin with.

Hmm No, Not at all, I was just saying what happened to me one day, Nothing more and nothing less.

And for your Information, That was a long time ago and at the time I was a genuine tourist so I was applying for a Tourist Visa for all of the correct and legal reasons.

As I did point out in my reply, The lady did not even allow me the chance to even submit my Passport, My post was neither rude or racist nor judgemental.

Thanks for your reply.

nasty Thai habit ? government made up mostly of criminals ? incompetents and clowns and their strange directives ? You`re asking for it on back to back tourist visas to begin with ?

Why on earth would you bring those type of comments into a genuine post of advice and suggestions ?

Edited by astral
Long, un-necessary quote deleted - Astral

It seems to me that they are trying to push everyone that is living in Thailand into extensions of stay instead of multiple entry visa. I guess they figure if you are living here, you should be on an extension of stay, and if you just come in and out a lot, then a visa is for you.

I agree with your logic but IF they are now only issuing single entry visas, it seems inconsistent with this objective!

I have long said Singapore does not act rationally. I can not get multiple entry Non-IMM "B" and neither can my VP or anyone else. We have to visit Thailand on business a number of times a year and we work for the regional HQ of a very large MNC ad we employ a lot of people in Thailand too - single Visa's only which we do not bother getting

Quite - no way I'm going to bother getting single entry visas for my twice a month visits to BKK! On the one hand, given I live in Singapore not Thailand, I can quite happily come in and out on TVE's - I am way under the "30 in 90" days rule or whatever it is. On the other hand, a visa is required for things like renewal of driving licences, so it will be a pain not to have it...

Quite - no way I'm going to bother getting single entry visas for my twice a month visits to BKK! On the one hand, given I live in Singapore not Thailand, I can quite happily come in and out on TVE's - I am way under the "30 in 90" days rule or whatever it is. On the other hand, a visa is required for things like renewal of driving licences, so it will be a pain not to have it...

My last passport only lasted 3 years - I expect this one will too but Thai visa stamps taking a page and a bit each tiome are not on.

PS: I am going up for the weekend - have exam tomorrow so will go up for 4 nights after - airmiles burning a hole in my pocket

I apologize.

I woke up much too early today feeling like sh!te and I shouldn't have posted. Back to bed.

Your frustration and/or rage is very understandable.

I'm a Singaporean PR and have been dealing with the Thai Embassy there for about 4 years now. It's a mess. You can get an answer from one lady before lunch, go back and ask the same question to another lady after lunch and get a completely different answer... And their web site is down about half the time and even when it's up, the information stated there does not match what you need in reality.

In December, I found out about the 400k in the bank rule when I went to apply for a one year multiple non-Imm O based on marriage. I didn't know about it beforehand and just before that I had made a huge expenditure so I didn't have that amount. It wouldn't matter anyway, because I recall I wasn't even asked for a bank statement or any proof of having money. So I ended up with a single entry 3 month non-O, which is a real pain in the ass.

Since then, I heard that the 400k baht requirement got tougher for Singapore; instead of justing showing an ATM slip of equivalent currency, you had to show a bank statement and that it was scrutinized to make sure that you didn't pop the money in the day before, then withdraw it the day after.

I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinued all 1 yr. mult non-O (based on marriage) but they might have just been having a bad day (which equally sucks, of course). Also, I wouldn't rule out remnants of a backlash against Singapore by the Thai government for the Temasek/Shin Satellite deal.

Last week, I got my 1 yr. mult non-O (based on marriage) without out any enquiry as to financial status in Kuala Lumpur. See the thread on this forum entitled 'Bkk-kl-bkk,non O.' started by Nickkbh for my and another person's successful account.

Good luck. As I always say, the more screwed up Thailand is, the less that people will want to move here (which is a good thing IMO). So at times you might have to work hard to be able to stay here - it comes with the territory.

PS: I am going up for the weekend - have exam tomorrow so will go up for 4 nights after - airmiles burning a hole in my pocket

PPS. I am going up tomorrow night and will be around until Sunday lunchtime - PM / SMS me if you fancy a "point of zoider" somewhere... :D

Sorry everyone :o I know

Edited by Captain Chaos

I apologize.

I woke up much too early today feeling like sh!te and I shouldn't have posted. Back to bed.

Your frustration and/or rage is very understandable.

I'm a Singaporean PR and have been dealing with the Thai Embassy there for about 4 years now. It's a mess. You can get an answer from one lady before lunch, go back and ask the same question to another lady after lunch and get a completely different answer... And their web site is down about half the time and even when it's up, the information stated there does not match what you need in reality.

In December, I found out about the 400k in the bank rule when I went to apply for a one year multiple non-Imm O based on marriage. I didn't know about it beforehand and just before that I had made a huge expenditure so I didn't have that amount. It wouldn't matter anyway, because I recall I wasn't even asked for a bank statement or any proof of having money. So I ended up with a single entry 3 month non-O, which is a real pain in the ass.

Since then, I heard that the 400k baht requirement got tougher for Singapore; instead of justing showing an ATM slip of equivalent currency, you had to show a bank statement and that it was scrutinized to make sure that you didn't pop the money in the day before, then withdraw it the day after.

I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinued all 1 yr. mult non-O (based on marriage) but they might have just been having a bad day (which equally sucks, of course). Also, I wouldn't rule out remnants of a backlash against Singapore by the Thai government for the Temasek/Shin Satellite deal.

Last week, I got my 1 yr. mult non-O (based on marriage) without out any enquiry as to financial status in Kuala Lumpur. See the thread on this forum entitled 'Bkk-kl-bkk,non O.' started by Nickkbh for my and another person's successful account.

Good luck. As I always say, the more screwed up Thailand is, the less that people will want to move here (which is a good thing IMO). So at times you might have to work hard to be able to stay here - it comes with the territory.

Comical really though isn't it? Can't believe I am even considering whether to go to KL for a visa when the Thai embassy in SG is about a 3 minute walk from my office door ... :o

Hi,

Might as well make use of the free internet in the SATS lounge here at Changi, waiting to return with a single entry visa.

When I picked up my passport today I asked the "nice muslim lady" if she thought that this rule would be reversed anytime soon, and she said that was extremely unlikely as it has only just been implemented.

Actually, whilst I was queing to apply to the visa there was a horrible rude chinese woman stomping up and down the queue grabbing peoples papers and generally being unpleasant.

When she got to me it was "only 3 month, only 3 month not 1 year not one year everything change". I thought she must be making a mistake, so stayed in the queue to ask the "nice muslim lady", who confirmed it, but in a much nicer way, so there was no question of her having a bad hair day. She has always been extremely personable towards me.

I can only guess something significant has happened to cause this instant shift in policy, as I said in an earlier post the increased visa fees applicable from 1st of May are still on the board, so up to the point of that being posted which I presume is fairly recently, they were still planning to be issuing them.

So, it begs the question, where to go to get a multi "O' in Asia ? Seems like KL is the best bet at the moment, but it would be good to hear continuing reports. Also what about Penang ?

Singapore seems to be very good at sucking the cash out of you, only been here 2 full days and when I've totted up my total expenditure its quite shocking, and I've been doing it "on the cheap".

If it was guaranteed that I could get the multi in KL I could be tempted to have a go at the end of next month, rather than waiting til the 90 days is up and then another change in policy could mean flying back to Europe, and even bigger waste of time and money.

This board prides itself on being the best resource for Thailand visa information on the internet, so I still find it strange that the embassy in Singapore haven't been issuing these visas for nearly a week, yet nobody knew. I thought perhaps thaivisa.com was in contact with immigration authorities in Thailand and its various consuls and embassies to provide the latest information, but it obviously relies on it members being the guinea pigs on the front line, and reporting back any change of policy.

Cheers

Edited by INTJ

"I thought perhaps thaivisa.com was in contact with immigration authorities in Thailand and its various consuls and embassies to provide the latest information"

If they dont know whats going on, they cant tell thier staff whats going on, thats why we all dont know whats going on! funny, but not!

This board prides itself on being the best resource for Thailand visa information on the internet, so I still find it strange that the embassy in Singapore haven't been issuing these visas for nearly a week, yet nobody knew. I thought perhaps thaivisa.com was in contact with immigration authorities in Thailand and its various consuls and embassies to provide the latest information, but it obviously relies on it members being the guinea pigs on the front line, and reporting back any change of policy.

Cheers

This board relies on members feedback. You are the 1st to report this.

Nobody has come up to confirm of not confirm your report which I think a bit strange.

Maybe Thai Visa has fewer members than we think.

I can only guess something significant has happened to cause this instant shift in policy, as I said in an earlier post the increased visa fees applicable from 1st of May are still on the board, so up to the point of that being posted which I presume is fairly recently, they were still planning to be issuing them.

Could it be due to constantly increasing number of applicants using the visa for permanent stay. Just taking border runs every 3 months instead of getting extension to stay as they should ?

Especially when it's advertised here in TV they have been suddenly flooded with applications where they can clearly see from the history and from the passports that the visa is intended for permanent stay and to by pass extension of stay income requirements.

Sad that those of us who use the multi non-O for it's intended purpose have to suffer....

Edited by MJo

Could it be due to constantly increasing number of applicants using the visa for permanent stay.

It could also be that this is yet another case of one consular office simply looking to reduce their ever-increasing workload. The bit about this directive coming from the "central government" may be just an attempt to shift the blame away from themselves for this sudden policy change.

These people have been showing money at Singapore - unlike at other Consulates that do and seem to continue to issue multi entry visas for those married. The advantage of Singapore was that they had a set policy - other Consulates have not been consistent. There is a place for multi entry non immigrant visa issue. Most are only trying to be able to visit there family. How does an oil rig worker obtain yearly extensions of stay when they are required to leave the country every few weeks?

These people have been showing money at Singapore - unlike at other Consulates that do and seem to continue to issue multi entry visas for those married. The advantage of Singapore was that they had a set policy - other Consulates have not been consistent. There is a place for multi entry non immigrant visa issue. Most are only trying to be able to visit there family. How does an oil rig worker obtain yearly extensions of stay when they are required to leave the country every few weeks?

For O&G and contract guy's this is the right visa for them but as a poster above says many abuse it and use it to stay permanently in the country - I know many that do and I bet Thailand is full of them.

A pal has been divorced for years but still gets one when he shows the original marriage cert - he does travel back to his home country to do this and not in SE Asia

Maybe they are cracking down to stop the abuse?

That's what i meant, crack down to stop people abusing the visa. Too many use it for permanent stay instead of getting extension of stay as they should.

I'm based in Singapore for now and use the visa to visit my family every other weekend or so. Perfect legit solution for me.

It's just a shame if they take this possibility out from me just because they have seen too many people using it for permanent stay with border runs...