Video: "Yes Mate!" Taxi driver picks wrong person to threaten with a knife

webfact

1 hour ago, Puccini said:

According to the news article, the fine of 100 Baht is "for having a knife", whereas "menacing " is a crime for which the law stipulates "a month in jail and/or a 1,000 baht fine" and a judge will decide on the penalty within that range.

Yes just like this woman: 

She did not even get fined for wielding a sword. Smoking in public is far more serious.

Edited by B4Jazz
add a sentance

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Good point, unless it was a case of mistaken identity?

As road rage goes this has to have a back story unless the taxi driver just doesn't like his TV work?

:smile:

yes, some of these characters don't seem to need much of an excuse to go berserk and murderous.  yaba plays a factor often, I believe. 

On 9/5/2017 at 4:01 AM, webfact said:

Yanyong said they could only fine him 100 baht for having a knife but would charge him with menacing that carries a month in jail and/or a 1,000 baht fine, reported Daily News later yesterday.

Why not simply kiss both his cheeks - or all four - and send him on his way.

That said, it's only a matter of time before one - or more - of these morons really do pick on the wrong 'victim' and come to regret it.

The issue for me here is...  while driving around Bangkok it would be extremely easy to find myself in similar circumstances...  not knowing whether or not the other party is going to escalate, try and smash in my window, perhaps even be successful in smashing in my window.... I'd be inclined to try and drive off, in doing so I may accidentally driver over the aggressor.

In such circumstances - just sitting there doesn't really seam like a viable option, but any action such as trying to escape the situation may actually injure the aggressor - I may find myself open to greater charges than the initial 100B for carrying a knife and 1000B for brandishing it in a threatening manner.

In its simplest terms - the law in this case (and in many others) is far from a deterrent and does not protect the innocent. 

On 9/5/2017 at 2:16 PM, SunsetT said:

There is no problem with carrying knives in Thailand! Our local Big C has a stand with a wonderful display of knives and swords!

Just 'cause you can buy them doesn't mean you're allowed to carry them around on your person.

18 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

yes, some of these characters don't seem to need much of an excuse to go berserk and murderous.  yaba plays a factor often, I believe. 

Indeed!

Some drivers though have unrealistic schedules and resort to meth rather than Ya Bah to see the shift through. It's a sad case of uppers and downers just to make a living and is highly addictive.

I am not condoning it in any way, but again the laws are not enforced.

Piss tests in Pattaya this week are just a money maker as usual, nobody gives a damn about carnage on the road.

:crazy:

1 hour ago, impulse said:

Just 'cause you can buy them doesn't mean you're allowed to carry them around on your person.

Yes u r right, but if they can be bought so easily alongside everything else to be worn or carried, they r more likely to be carried.....and I bet the salesperson says 'dont forget u cant carry this on your person'.

29 minutes ago, SunsetT said:
2 hours ago, impulse said:

Yes u r right, but if they can be bought so easily alongside everything else to be worn or carried, they r more likely to be carried.....and I bet the salesperson says 'dont forget u cant carry this on your person'.

The original statement was: There is no problem with carrying knives in Thailand! Our local Big C has a stand with a wonderful display of knives and swords!

That's not very good advice for any noobs reading in who may be unfamiliar with Thailand and the vagaries of the Thai legal system.  I'd hate to believe anyone got deported (or worse) because they took my advice, even if it was tongue in cheek.

27 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

True, but what's the fine even when you do threaten someone with a machete???

The penalty may be very different for someone who is in Thailand on the whims of the visa system than it is for a Thai citizen.  And not just about the $$$ fine.   I certainly wouldn't want to risk finding out.

Edited by impulse