I tried livng very cheap for 1 month

georgegeorgia

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Good Taste is something acquired. And good taste can be expensive if one appreciates a better product particularly when it comes to processed or manufactured foods. Some inferior products pass the good enough test. Dairy Queen is not one of them. But hey! Fill yer boots!

You've acquired something, but it's not good taste. You've acquired a superego that makes you feel you're the ultimate guide to good food. 

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, balo said:

So you pay how much in rent ?  250 sqm is a big one . 

LOL> you called me a troll because you thought I was lying about my Internet bill, and now you want to know how much I pay for rent?

It's a big condo, yes, but 250m2 would be a small house. I have an entire floor with personal elevator entrance... yeah, now I sound like a troll.:smile:

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Good Taste is something acquired. And good taste can be expensive if one appreciates a better product particularly when it comes to processed or manufactured foods. Some inferior products pass the good enough test. Dairy Queen is not one of them. But hey! Fill yer boots!

I fill my boots with natural grub, anything processed or manufactured is not good.

Which proves none of you 'aint got no tashte'.

4 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

I fill my boots with natural grub, anything processed or manufactured is not good.

Which proves none of you 'aint got no tashte'.

No argument there - ice cream is a treat, not health food.

A room at the Nirun can be as low as 4,000 a month but my older friend owns his own large studio , has balcony etc and very airy with fans so doesn't use Air con 

I plan on buying a studio either in the Nirun or flybird next year but I'm going more for Flybird as it's walking distance to most things .

dont need cable TV as I prefer to watch things on my iPad and buy a monthly prepaid and don't watch much TV 

one of my friends buys those cheap noodles 8baht and cooks up some broccoli or carrots with it in his condo using the portable stove he just boils or steams  his veggies and adds the noodles 

he has never been healthier since moving to Thailand and eating much better , he lives on approx 35,000 baht a month but owns his own studio condo over at the flybird

It's a lifestyle choice to live frugally

many old pensioners do it now in their own country why not Thailand?

look I need a TV but many now don't have a TV and prefer to read books off their IPad etc 

my friend who lives cheap at the Nirun doesn't have or want a TV he prefers his Ipad

whats the difference living on 40k a month in your own country or Thailand, none really, in fact if u own your own condo it can be a good life

my friend has a spotless breezy large studio up at the Flybird and lives on his pension of approx 40k a month disability pension and still saves about 15k a month !

he suffers from OCD where everything has to be in order eg his kitchen cupboard has tin food and the labels have to face the front etc 

his shoes on the shoe rack are in straight order and in plastic bags etc that kind of illness he has same with his daily routine of cleaning every morning and using disinfectant and measuring it in the measuring cup so he knows approx how much he gets per bottle over a month

the only electricity he used was the portable stove tops, electric jug , and a small bar fridge and several stand up fans .

he still said his electric was around 800 a month , would that be right ?

it takes time getting used to the heat without aircon , the first few days I was sick , tired nauseous etc but I finally got used to it

But he lives better than in Australia 

Edited by georgegeorgia

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

It's a lifestyle choice to live frugally

many old pensioners do it now in their own country why not Thailand?

look I need a TV but many now don't have a TV and prefer to read books off their IPad etc 

my my friend who lives cheap st the Nirun doesn't have or want a TV he prefers his Ipad

wgats the difference living in 40k a month in your own country or Thailand, none really

No heating bills or winter clothes.

12 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I was actually surprised he told me some things in Pattaya were more expensive than Australia eg kilo of apples and  tomatoes 

It shouldn't be surprising that many things are more expensive in Thailand than a country like Australia.

The climate has a lot to do with what can be produced locally, and what must be imported. Examples would be dairy products, wine, wheat products and cold climate fruit and vegetables.

However, overall Thailand's cost of living is less than half of that in Australia. Very cheap to live here, as long as you aren't on Thai wages.  

Edited by Old Croc

12 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

A room at the Nirun can be as low as 4,000 a month but my older friend owns his own large studio , has balcony etc and very airy with fans so doesn't use Air con 

I plan on buying a studio either in the Nirun or flybird next year but I'm going more for Flybird as it's walking distance to most things .

dont need cable TV as I prefer to watch things on my iPad and buy a monthly prepaid and don't watch much TV 

one of my friends buys those cheap noodles 8baht and cooks up some broccoli or carrots with it in his condo using the portable stove he just boils or steams  his veggies and adds the noodles 

he has never been healthier since moving to Thailand and eating much better , he lives on approx 35,000 baht a month but owns his own studio condo over at the flybird

You have done your research well, silly me did'nt, but somehow I survived..many don't.

15 hours ago, NotWhatItWasnt said:

Friend of mine called these type of foods empty calories

If only they were empty. They are alive and will pack on fat as fast as or faster than calories from healthy food AND cause nutrient imbalances while the body processes them.

15 hours ago, talahtnut said:

A pineapple is a treat..and you wont put on any weight..give your boots a rest.

You are a naughty boy.

Pineapple is not a treat for me as it's part of my regular healthy diet. When I treat myself I need something deliciously, wickedly unhealthy. I don't want something pretending to be unhealthy LOL.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Pineapple is not a treat for me as it's part of my regular healthy diet. When I treat myself I need something deliciously, wickedly unhealthy. I don't want something pretending to be unhealthy LOL.

Thats got to be you!

beano.jpg

5 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Thats got to be you!

beano.jpg

No, that isn't me and you missed the point, again. I eat healthy food most of the time. I treat my self to deliciously unhealthy food on occasions... perhaps a couple of times a week - sometimes more.  If you're going to eat something unhealthy, it had better be very good - good generally means very unhealthy. More cream, more chocolate, creamier ice cream etc. If it's bad for me it had better be very good LOL.

It's not expensive to eat healthy.  Fads - and foods are just one of them - are nothing more than a marketing scheme targeting the flavour of the month club.  This month it's "superfoods", last month it was "non-gluten food", and month before Justin Bieber, ad infinitum.

Btw, to return to the OP, I don't know why others would want to live on the cheap in what is essentially a third world country.  If it's to get laid, what a price you have to pay.

Edited by EvenSteven

32 minutes ago, EvenSteven said:

It's not expensive to eat healthy.  Fads - and foods are just one of them - are nothing more than a marketing scheme targeting the flavour of the month club.  This month it's "superfoods", last month it was "non-gluten food", and month before Justin Bieber, ad infinitum.

Btw, to return to the OP, I don't know why others would want to live on the cheap in what is essentially a third world country.  If it's to get laid, what a price you have to pay.

Healthy eating is nearly impossible to define (so many theories), never mind actually achieving. Fanatically healthy eating would be very expensive in Thailand. If your idea of healthy eating is getting your daily veges and staying away from processed food, sure, not so expensive, but what's in the produce you're consuming?

8 hours ago, tropo said:

If only they were empty. They are alive and will pack on fat as fast as or faster than calories from healthy food AND cause nutrient imbalances while the body processes them.

Spot on Tropo, I should have explained that better, empty as in no nutritional value as you pointed out.

Have you seen That Sugar Film

Just now, EvenSteven said:

Price you have to pay about what?

Call it 3rd world country but being from Los Angeles, Bangkok is a much more enjoyable city in many different ways.

People like to bad mouth Pattaya but I enjoy the place it is not 3rd world.

For sex/girls?  You bet yah, I don't like smelly 60 year old hags.

Edited by bkk6060

2 hours ago, tropo said:

Healthy eating is nearly impossible to define (so many theories)

True, if we are hypothesizing.  But we have to base our decisions on research findings that support or disprove theory, not hypothesizing, as marketers like to use in place of research.  Diet and health is complex, but the research so far has shown us that we should consume more raw fruits and vegetables and less processed food.  Whether those fruits, vegetables and processed food have carcinogens on them is another matter.  But one thing is clear:  let's stop basing our decision making on hypothesizing, which is more often than not the argument of tyrants.

9 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Price you have to pay about what?

Call it 3rd world country but being from Los Angeles, Bangkok is a much more enjoyable city in many different ways.

People like to bad mouth Pattaya but I enjoy the place it is not 3rd world.

For sex/girls?  You bet yah, I don't like smelly 60 year old hags.

It's not a matter of whether you like Pattaya or not.  Let me ask you can you drink the water out of the tap?  How are the streets for walking?  Safe?  What about their "justice" system?  What is Pattaya's economy based on?  How democratic is Thailand?  How about Thailand's record on human rights?  What are their social services like?  How about their GDP/capita?  Thailand is a third world country in far too many ways, whether you like the term or not.

Edited by EvenSteven

4 hours ago, EvenSteven said:

It's not a matter of whether you like Pattaya or not.  Let me ask you can you drink the water out of the tap?  How are the streets for walking?  Safe?  What about their "justice" system?  What is Pattaya's economy based on?  How democratic is Thailand?  How about Thailand's record on human rights?  What are their social services like?  How about their GDP/capita?  Thailand is a third world country in far too many ways, whether you like the term or not.

a comprehensive list of irrelevancies for the discerned and happy Farang retiree in Thailand. :coffee1:

30 minutes ago, Naam said:

a comprehensive list of irrelevancies for the discerned and happy Farang retiree in Thailand. :coffee1:

I suppose that is one of the upsides of early  onset dementia; the obliviousness to the reality.  Clouds of dirty smoke become magical vapors dancing in the air,  screeching ladyboys are seen as dancing nubile nymphs, the fake smiles and  exclamations of hansumness are seen as  genuine signs of affection for the beloved farang etc.  

On 21/10/2017 at 3:34 AM, NotWhatItWasnt said:

Exactly Tropo,  plus the rats don't run over the rice bags at night 

Rats are everywhere. The illusion of hygiene in supermarkets and posh hotels is just that: an illusion. Supermarkets are for smuchs and brain washed westerners who are not well travelled or experienced and need the comfort and illusion of home.