Is the Australian seniors pension enough to qualify for Retirement Visa

Question 1.

On the site http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/visa-run-penang.php It says:

"In the case of a Non-Immigrant ‘O” visa for retirement, you will need 800,000 baht tin a Thai bank, a copy of your Thai bank book, pension details or proof of a sustainable income, 2 passport-sized photos, and you must be over 55 years of age."

Is that 800,000 Baht in the Thai bank actually an either/or? Is the proof of Pension income sufficient?

Question 2.

Is there a "Multiple entry" option with the Retirement Visa?

Question 3. 

I guess several of us have applied for Retirement visas at Penang. Feedback from recent experiences would be appreciated.

Question 4. 

Have any of you applied for this at the Thai Embassy in Melbourne Australia?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Cheers, K.

That is commercial website not a official Thai government website so the info can be misleading or wrong.

It is 800k baht in the bank or 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

The consulate in Penang wants proof you are retired along with 800k baht in the bank. The info on that website is referring to using proof of pension income for that requirement.

2. You can apply for a multiple entry non-o visa in Penang if you can meet the financial requirements. A multiple entry non-o visa only allows 90 day entries meaning you have to leave the country ever 90 days for a new 90 day entry.

3. Most people have only applied for a single entry non-o visa that allows one 90 entry so they could apply for a 1 year extension based upon retirement at a immigration office by meeting the financial requirements.

4. The Melbourne consulate can no longer issue a non-o visa for retirement. You can only apply for a OA long stay visa at the embassy in Canberra or the official consulate in Sydney.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is commercial website not a official Thai government website so the info can be misleading or wrong.

It is 800k baht in the bank or 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

The consulate in Penang wants proof you are retired along with 800k baht in the bank. The info on that website is referring to using proof of pension income for that requirement.

2. You can apply for a multiple entry non-o visa in Penang if you can meet the financial requirements. A multiple entry non-o visa only allows 90 day entries meaning you have to leave the country ever 90 days for a new 90 day entry.

3. Most people have only applied for a single entry non-o visa that allows one 90 entry so they could apply for a 1 year extension based upon retirement at a immigration office by meeting the financial requirements.

4. The Melbourne consulate can no longer issue a non-o visa for retirement. You can only apply for a OA long stay visa at the embassy in Canberra or the official consulate in Sydney.

Ok .. Thanks. 

Assuming that 65K is a monthly amount, my pension of a measly 43.5K a month won't qualify, without a substantial bank balance. 

Other options are:

1. A Non-O based on "intended marriage"? .. family involvement/support etc.  My girlfriend is posting letter with copy of ID card to me now. (I'm in Melbourne) .. so I would have it in hand when I apply, wherever.  (I really need multiple entry because of things to do in Europe.)

or

2. Maybe a long shot, but a University in Thailand is considering in a project of mine as a Masters Degree Thesis, in which case, I imagine they would need to send an invitation in writing. (We need more consultation prior to enrolment, which is difficult via web-cam only.) Such an invitation could be obtained in time for my preferred travel date. 

The project, because of it's nature, could well attract endorsement from the Culture Ministry, but this stage is a way off yet.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TechnikaIII said:

Assuming that 65K is a monthly amount, my pension of a measly 43.5K a month won't qualify, without a substantial bank balance. 

If you could put about 300K baht in the bank you could apply for the extension of stay using you income for part of the 800k baht.

5 minutes ago, TechnikaIII said:

A Non-O based on "intended marriage"?

Typical false and or outdated info from that website. You have to be married to apply for the non-o visa.

12 minutes ago, TechnikaIII said:

2. Maybe a long shot, but a University in Thailand is considering in a project of mine as a Masters Degree Thesis, in which case, I imagine they would need to send an invitation in writing.

You might be able to get non-b and a work permit it they offered you a job.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you could put about 300K baht in the bank you could apply for the extension of stay using you income for part of the 800k baht.

Typical false and or outdated info from that website. You have to be married to apply for the non-o visa.

You might be able to get non-b and a work permit it they offered you a job.

Ok .. Thanks for all that, Khun Ubonjoe. It looks like I'm up in the air for the moment. 

1 hour ago, Happy enough said:

if already planning on getting married, couldn't he just get married when back in thailand and get a one year multiple entry based on marriage from savannaket (no financial requirements)

Or - a single-entry Non-O from a neighboring consulate after getting married - then a 1-year extension locally, since his pension meets the 40K Baht threshold, which would avoid making border-runs.

He might even be able to avoid the trip-out for the initial Non-O by converting to a Non-O, if he served by a local immigration office that will actually do them - but worst-case, easy to get a single-entry Non-O based on marriage nearby (Vientiane, Savanakhet, HCMC).

23 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Or - a single-entry Non-O from a neighboring consulate after getting married - then a 1-year extension locally, since his pension meets the 40K Baht threshold, which would avoid making border-runs.

He might even be able to avoid the trip-out for the initial Non-O by converting to a Non-O, if he served by a local immigration office that will actually do them - but worst-case, easy to get a single-entry Non-O based on marriage nearby (Vientiane, Savanakhet, HCMC).

" (I really need multiple entry because of things to do in Europe.)"

that's why i thought the one year non o multi might work. if of course he gets married

couple of days in HCMC which is nice, job done

Edited by Happy enough
correct my mistake

If you can apply for a single entry Non Imm O Visa in Australia.

After entering Thailand, within the last 30 days of that 90 day entry you can apply for an extension of stay based on retirement at your local Immigration office in Nakhon Sawan.

You can obtain an income letter from the Australian Embassy in Bangkok for Immigration to meet the financial requirement of 65,000 baht per month income.

No proof of income is required by the Embassy, name your own figure  :smile:

Lots of Australians who don't meet the financial requirement through their state pension, use this method.

Once you receive the extension you can purchase a multi re-entry permit (3,800 baht) which is valid for the duration of the extension.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/22/2017 at 3:18 PM, Tanoshi said:

If you can apply for a single entry Non Imm O Visa in Australia.

After entering Thailand, within the last 30 days of that 90 day entry you can apply for an extension of stay based on retirement at your local Immigration office in Nakhon Sawan.

You can obtain an income letter from the Australian Embassy in Bangkok for Immigration to meet the financial requirement of 65,000 baht per month income.

No proof of income is required by the Embassy, name your own figure  :smile:

Lots of Australians who don't meet the financial requirement through their state pension, use this method.

Once you receive the extension you can purchase a multi re-entry permit (3,800 baht) which is valid for the duration of the extension.

Have been researching how to do the extension of stay without 800k baht bank account and only using the 65,000 mth income ... so relating to the INCOME LETTER from the Australian Embassy in Bangkok... I haven't found where this is ... is it a standard letter ? how can I access it?  appreciate the help

2 minutes ago, fincnx said:

Have been researching how to do the extension of stay without 800k baht bank account and only using the 65,000 mth income ... so relating to the INCOME LETTER from the Australian Embassy in Bangkok... I haven't found where this is ... is it a standard letter ? how can I access it?  appreciate the help

You complete a statutory declaration form.

Aus Stat Dec.pdf

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fincnx said:

You will do a statutory declaration stating your income at the embassy.

• Thanks 1

If you think up a number which is not true for the Statutory Declaration is commiting perjury under oath.

Tanoshi is wrong in his assertion - wrong nationality.

An increasing number of Immi offices are requiring back-up income proof to the Stat Dec.

The stat Dec form is available on the Bangkok Embassy website - do not sign until you present it at the Embassy.

Edited by Evilbaz
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

If you think up a number which is not true for the Statutory Declaration is commiting perjury under oath.

Tanoshi is wrong in his assertion - wrong nationality.

An increasing number of Immi offices are requiring back-up income proof to the Stat Dec.

The stat Dec form is available on the Bangkok Embassy website - do not sign until you present it at the Embassy.

Which assertion is incorrect.

The fact you can state whatever income you want, or the fact no proof of income is required.

Of course it's committing perjury under oath, I never stated differently.

the other misleading info of the website the threadstarter quotes is:

""you will need 800,000 baht tin a Thai bank, a copy of your Thai bank book, pension details or proof of a sustainable income, 2 passport-sized photos, and you must be over 55 years of age.""

Actually you can apply for a Non-Imm-OA based on retirement from the age of 50 on

My good friend wanted to come over on his disability pension and was told that they are now cracking down on people living abroad living off of their pension. he was told immigration sends notification back to Centrelink or whatever they are called now and you get cut off.

Not sure if this is the same for a aged pension if that's not the case then good news. Australia doesn't want its retired residents enjoying life abroad which amounts to good living here on a aged or disability pension. If its not the case now I'm sure it will be soon enough. Though the UK allows it I heard.

Edited by Neurotic Trader

11 hours ago, Neurotic Trader said:

My good friend wanted to come over on his disability pension and was told that they are now cracking down on people living abroad living off of their pension. he was told immigration sends notification back to Centrelink or whatever they are called now and you get cut off.

Not sure if this is the same for a aged pension if that's not the case then good news. Australia doesn't want its retired residents enjoying life abroad which amounts to good living here on a aged or disability pension. If its not the case now I'm sure it will be soon enough. Though the UK allows it I heard.

Completely false information. Immigration do not advise Centrelink. 

The Australian government track your entry and exits from the Country. If your not resident 2 years before state pension age, then you won't receive your pension. The alternative is to return and complete 2 years residency on pension before you Immigrate. You will then receive a reduced pension.

The UK freezes the state pension if you Immigrate to Thailand.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Which assertion is incorrect.

The fact you can state whatever income you want, or the fact no proof of income is required.

Of course it's committing perjury under oath, I never stated differently.

If you sign a false statutory declaration then you bare breaching section 11 of the Statutory Declarations Act 1959 which carries a penalty of 4 years imprisonment plus you end up with a criminal record. This is listed at the bottom of the statutory declaration form plus to have it witnessed at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok now costs 1750 baht.

I'm going on Tuesday

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

The Australian government track your entry and exits from the Country. If your not resident 2 years before state pension age, then you won't receive your pension. The alternative is to return and complete 2 years residency on pension before you Immigrate. You will then receive a reduced pension.

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't entirely sure. hence why you never take anything as gospel.

It states under the DSP he can only have a four week portability period. unless misread

Edited by Neurotic Trader

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

what reduction are you talking about with regards to the Australian age pension

4 minutes ago, Evilbaz said:

OAP overseas is currently about $820 per fortnight.

You lose some of the in Australia allowances.

That's right it is only the likes of rent assistance and the other allowances that you lose but even back in Australia you do not get those allowances unless you apply for them. If you own your own home you cannot claim the rent assistance allowance. So the actual aged pension is the same wherever you live it is only the different allowances that make the difference. Even thou I received the one off power payment a couple of months ago