Ok..I'm an idiot and this is driving me crazy (no pun intended)

At dawn, dusk, and in darkness my windscreen steams up.

I have tried changing the settings with the A/C. The only thing that helps is NO air at all, but then it gets hot in the car.

The window wipers clear it (as the steam/condensation is on the outside), but it comes back immediately.

Anyone experience this?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the problem is the a/c being directed onto the screen, and this is cooling the glass and causing condensation on the outside of the screen?  The side vents will cause the same issue if they are pointed at the side windows.

Leave a/c on, as this will keep you cool and also reduce humidity inside the car to prevent internal misting, but make sure none of the vents are blowing on the glass.  To do this - set the vents to down/face level and NOT the screen demisting setting, and direct the side vents to blow inside the car (basically the opposite of what you'd do to keep a car in a cold country demisted).

In my Ford, there is always a little bit of AC leaking up to the windscreen. No matter how I adjust the controls. This causes condensation on the outside and the inside on colder humid nights.

My answer to it has been to switch the controls to have all the air go to the windshield. Then only leave the AC on until I get condensation on the inside, then switch off the AC but leave the fan running. This makes the interior condensation go away almost right away and keeps the window from getting cold enough to condense on the outside. I switch the AC back on when the car becomes uncomfortably warm.

The cycle is about 5 to 10 minutes. Annoying yes but what can I do. It is a design flaw. This only happens about ten nights a year.

12 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

In my Ford, there is always a little bit of AC leaking up to the windscreen. No matter how I adjust the controls. This causes condensation on the outside and the inside on colder humid nights.

My answer to it has been to switch the controls to have all the air go to the windshield. Then only leave the AC on until I get condensation on the inside, then switch off the AC but leave the fan running. This makes the interior condensation go away almost right away and keeps the window from getting cold enough to condense on the outside. I switch the AC back on when the car becomes uncomfortably warm.

The cycle is about 5 to 10 minutes. Annoying yes but what can I do. It is a design flaw. This only happens about ten nights a year.

I drive a Ford too. That's the problem. Even when air blowers are set to feet only, there is a huge amount coming up the back to the windscreen. Design flaw.

Interestingly, when I set it to face & feet, there is no draft coming up back to the windscreen. I just have to dip the face blowers cos if they blow upward it'll still mist up.

This seemed fine this morning, but will need to test it out more.

You are lucky it only happens to you 10 days a year. It happens to me every single day at dawn, dusk, or at night. Obviously it doesn't happen when the sun is high in the sky cos then it dries and warms the windscreen.

Bloody Ford. Next time i will buy a Toyota.

2 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

I drive a Ford too. That's the problem. Even when air blowers are set to feet only, there is a huge amount coming up the back to the windscreen. Design flaw.

Interestingly, when I set it to face & feet, there is no draft coming up back to the windscreen. I just have to dip the face blowers cos if they blow upward it'll still mist up.

This seemed fine this morning, but will need to test it out more.

You are lucky it only happens to you 10 days a year. It happens to me every single day at dawn, dusk, or at night. Obviously it doesn't happen when the sun is high in the sky cos then it dries and warms the windscreen.

Bloody Ford. Next time i will buy a Toyota.

You do have the A/C set to bring air in from the outside and not recirculate....?

4 minutes ago, transam said:

You do have the A/C set to bring air in from the outside and not recirculate....?

No! No! No!

Bringing in air from the outside will not solve this problem, the outside air is damp and will continue to steam up the windows.

Recirculating the air inside the car will eventually get rid of the moisture in the air and reduce build up of steamy windows.

:smile:

Just now, Daffy D said:

No! No! No!

Bringing in air from the outside will not solve this problem, the outside air is damp and will continue to steam up the windows.

Recirculating the air inside the car will eventually get rid of the moisture in the air and reduce build up of steamy windows.

Not in my ride...With mine if on recirculating I may get a window problem, but then l am hot stuff...:stoner:

1 hour ago, Daffy D said:

No! No! No!

Strange since the moisture is fogging up the windows on the outside.

17 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Strange since the moisture is fogging up the windows on the outside.

Well of course it is. The outside air is probably very close to its dew point and so the temperature of the windscreen/shield doesn't need to be much lower than the air temperature to promote condensation. 

Windshield wipers are for removing moisture from the outside of the glass. The AC will keep the humidity inside the car low enough so that condensation does not occur on the inside.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Well of course it is. The outside air is probably very close to its dew point and so the temperature of the windscreen/shield doesn't need to be much lower than the air temperature to promote condensation. 

Windshield wipers are for removing moisture from the outside of the glass. The AC will keep the humidity inside the car low enough so that condensation does not occur on the inside.

The post I was reacting to was claiming the inside air would get less moist, thereby reducing the fogging caused by the moist outside air. It may have the required result, but the mentioned cause is not there.

17 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

It's probably a 'design feature' intended for colder countries with dryer air, safety laws and scarier attorneys?  The intent may be to always have some air blowing at the screen to keep it demisted no matter what the vents are set to?  In the very high humidity of Thailand this causes a problem for us, but not an issue in the US or Europe (although I guess Miami can have some days with close to Thai levels of humidity?).

The electric windscreen heater that comes with most UK Fords would be a handy feature here.  Also - would the water repellant screen treatments help at all (like Rain-ex)?  May help the condensation to run off the screen?

A dark tint, non reflective screen may also help - as this should absorb more of the suns heat and keep the outside of the screen warmer (but then you'll not be able to see at night - but that's a different issue).

Our Toyota pick-up has a heated rear window which seems a bit pointless as it never gets used. Would be better to have the front screen heated. :post-4641-1156693976:

Some time ago I was playing with the idea of small blow heater for the front screen, but the rains stopped before that idea took off so never got round to it. :saai:

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=portable+12v+defroster&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjo0OqgotTWAhXFto8KHXp_AIYQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=536

22 hours ago, transam said:

Difficult in Bangkok, Trans. The outside air is so polluted it would probably cause CO poisoning. Lol.

As has been said condensation forming on the outside of your windscreen is caused by cold air blowing onto the glass and lowering the temperature of the glass to below the dew point of the outside air. 

I sometimes have that problem, stopping the air con blowing onto the glass sorts it ...    A 'bodge' solution to your problem is to cover the air vents going to the windscreen or substantially reduce that amount of air coming from them.  If you have problems with the side windows then point the vents away from them...this time of the year I have problems most mornings if I forget to point the vents away from the glass...and have to run the windows up and down to clear.

I also have the same problem with my glasses ... as soon as I get out of the car they mist up ...but of course not every time ...  

Of course the correct solution is to find out why you can't shut the air off to the windscreen .................

Edited by JAS21

Part of your problem is that the temperature is 26C,  the humidity is 93% and the dew point is 23-24 C.  So as soon as the windshield/screen gets to less than 23 the moisture in the air will start to condense. 

IIRC, a small vent on each end of the dashboard on my Ford Focus was fixed in the direction of the side windows and also on the Civic I now have. Good for temperate climates, but not in the tropical climate we have here. My side windows often fog up. I have to raise the internal temperature to resolve it, but I can't do much more as the vents cannot be redirected, which is a bit of a design flaw.

Edited by Wiggy

Had the same problem this morning running MIL to her (every) 6 week diabetes hospital appointment at 5.45am. Happens up here every year from Oct-Feb when the temps drop.

Aircon on low to medium.

Windows open.

Misting gone.

Switch off aircon, leave windows open, wait 5-10 mins,

Repeat and rinse.

44 minutes ago, F4UCorsair said:

Aircon on, but drawing air from outside rather than recirculating cabin air should fix it.

You should have a selector for that.

I just can't do that in Bangkok. The cabin gets full of diesel fumes and other unpleasant odours. 

There is a product in the west called rain x that you put on the windshield inside and outside. Keeps the window clear on the inside and on the outside. In light rain you don't even have to the wipers on as the moisture just beads up and runs off. Great stuff. Don't know if you can get it here but my worth a look were.auto products are sold.

Get a single rain protector and a cheap heat gun.  Warm it up and mold it to fit above your upward dash vents redirecting that upward flow into the car/truck.  Adhere with double sided clear tape.  You never use the windshield defogger here anyway so wont miss the upward draft.

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 2.42.37 PM.png

I have the same issue with my Mazda BT50. Over time it seems that the windscreen vents stop sealing and don't fully close letting just enough air on the windscreen to cause moisture on the outside. I have not bothered to fix it yet and just use an old towel across the dash to cover the vents. Not a perfect solution but it works and helps protect the dash.