Bangkok Literally Sinking In Sex As Brothels Steal Groundwater

snoop1130

Bangkok Literally Sinking In Sex As Brothels Steal Groundwater

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

dsc05610-696x497.jpg

Baitoey R Siam, second from left, on a set for Carabao's music video 'Nang Ngam Tuu Krajok' which depicts a brothel.

BANGKOK — So much water is used for sex in Bangkok’s brothels that it is contributing to the gradual sinking of Bangkok, officials have warned.

The capital’s massage parlors – a thin euphemism for commercial sex venues – are illegally pumping so much groundwater for bathing and rinsing they are adding to the subsidence that causes the capital to sink a centimeter annually into the ground, a hydrologist said Wednesday.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/nightlife/2017/10/05/bangkok-literally-sinking-sex-brothels-steal-groundwater/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-10-5

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are adding to the subsidence that causes the capital to sink a centimeter annually into the ground

In other news, the little earth worm in the garden also drinks a tiny bit of water so he also adds to the subsidence of the capital sinking.

Maybe he expert should quantify how much they add to the cause of BKK sinking.

I see numbers of the amount of water, but I would like to know if they can be blamed for 10% of the sinking, or more likely, for about 0.0000001%

2 hours ago, Thian said:

Also new highrise buildings pump their own water up, are there no rules for pumping water? Can i also just drill a well in my garden to use for my plants?

Yes.   Is there a law that says you cannot dig a hole ?  As long as you are not farang of course, because that would be working.  You would have to ask a local to employ a Cambodian to do it. 

So once again we can see the top brains at work. Building BKK on a swamp has nothing to do with it. Oh, no,no,no it's the brothels.

"Bangkok is estimated to sink at a rate of one centimeter per year. Use of groundwater is cited as a major factor for the subsidence. Researchers warn the capital, which sits on floodplain near the sea, will face serious flooding within 20 years if the situation continues." 

Right, so rising sea waters has nothing to do with it.

I'm not saying that this (brothels using lots of water) may not be a contributing factor but I doubt it's the number one reason which this story portrays.

p.s. top right:smile:

Edited by dinsdale

In a city of 8 million plus, built on a river delta/swamp that is barely above sea level to begin with, that floods repeatedly every year and sees almost non-stop construction of new, higher (heavier) sky rises, it is the 120 or so massage parlours that are to blame for the city sinking.

Uh huh.

I'm sure no one else in the city is also "stealing" groundwater instead of paying for it. 

1 hour ago, Bob12345 said:

In other news, the little earth worm in the garden also drinks a tiny bit of water so he also adds to the subsidence of the capital sinking.

Maybe he expert should quantify how much they add to the cause of BKK sinking.

I see numbers of the amount of water, but I would like to know if they can be blamed for 10% of the sinking, or more likely, for about 0.0000001%

I agree. What about all the big hotels and office  buildings? A load of crap this story.

35 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

In a city of 8 million plus, built on a river delta/swamp that is barely above sea level to begin with, that floods repeatedly every year and sees almost non-stop construction of new, higher (heavier) sky rises, it is the 120 or so massage parlours that are to blame for the city sinking.

Uh huh.

I'm sure no one else in the city is also "stealing" groundwater instead of paying for it. 

I just wonder.

The Netherlands, 40% of the country is below sea level.

It has the Rhine river flowing through it.

So what really is the problem of Bangkok, being largely above sea level?

What a load of cr...p. There are hundreds of businesses and services using tons more water than the massage parlours. What genius did the study?? One of the major consumers of water is the construction industry and the government, far beyond any massage parlour.

Just when you think it can't get any stupider, someone comes out with something like this.

My guess is that there is more water wasted during Songkran than a whole years worth of soapy's.

Next time I go to Poseidon I will tell them to fill the tub only half way. I might need several more girls to displace more water but I am willing to do my part.

Not really true, brothels are not to blame but it takes sex to make a story it seems. The truth is that the ground level in Bangkok was sinking 1983 at the rate of 100mm/year due to ground water pumping. So about 1metre per 10 years. The charge per/cu.m was then increased and controls introduced, so that by 1995 the ground level was sinking by 10 - 30mm/year. The depletion of ground water in the aquifers below Bangkok hit a peak in 1997 but rapidly fell after the Tom Yung Kung crisis of 1997 and the introduction of a 10 fold increase in ground water pumping charges. By 2005 the ground level was falling by 5 -10mm/year. The fact is that the ground water levels in the aquifers below Bangkok have been restored effectively. Comparing the facts from statistics and graphs, the evidence is that the fall in ground levels, currently at 5mm/year, is due to the weight of buildings, especially high rise and not due to ground water pumping, let alone Massage Parlours.

Edited by Estrada
speelin mistak

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

I just wonder.

The Netherlands, 40% of the country is below sea level.

It has the Rhine river flowing through it.

So what really is the problem of Bangkok, being largely above sea level?

"So what really is the problem of Bangkok ... ?"

It's in Thailand.