Long-term measures needed for Nakhon Ratchasima floods, says Army general

webfact

Long-term measures needed for Nakhon Ratchasima floods, says Army general

By The Nation

As the flood situation in Nakhon Ratchasima’s Muang district stabilised on Friday, an army commander said he would soon discuss long-term solutions with related agencies.

Second Army Region commander Lt-General Tharakorn Thamwinthorn Tharakorn said measures including designating water-retention areas and laying more drainage pipes under the bypass road could help reduce the impact of future floods.

He joined provincial governor Wichien Chantharanothai to deliver 100 relief bags to residents in two flood-hit villages on Friday morning. Some 300 homes in Tambon Nong Bua Sala in Muang district hit by floods early this week were still under 40cm-deep water with some road sections as deep as a metre.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30328623

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-06

22 hours ago, webfact said:

. . . . , an army commander said he would soon discuss long-term solutions with related agencies.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Second Army Region commander Lt-General Tharakorn Thamwinthorn Tharakorn said measures including designating water-retention areas and laying more drainage pipes under the bypass road could help reduce the impact of future floods.

Oh Lord, give me strength. As SOON as you hear a junta puppet mention 'soon' or 'related agencies', you now instinctively think RED for danger, danger of inactivity, that is.

But, give the man some credit . . . he talked about water a couple of times and has at least read about the benefits of more drainage pipes under the road. How many more floods before they think about installing them?

Edited by Ossy
spelling

Well, the rest of the western world has always wondered why 'measures' have never been taken before. And now we have some General proclaiming that this is what should happen! "Spin doctors" at their best, all talk (as in  the past) and nothing will probably get done again! Some people and groups just love to big note (to boast) for public consumption. :post-4641-1156693976:

These idiots, both military and civilian, have ignored proper infrastructure, to benefit the rich developers. How about working on infrastructure before any more developments are built? Now we have an expanded Mall, Terminal 21 and Central Mall opening soon in Korat. I haven't seen any infrastructure or drainage projects implemented? Maybe a little less nepotism in government and hiring some qualified people to run this country would be a good starting point even if you have to hire outside this country. Thailand will be a Third World Country for the foreseeable future and the flooding will continue and get worse!

On 10/7/2017 at 4:53 PM, billd766 said:

From EVERY other government, civilian or military going back decades.

And history would suggest to us that, once again, nothing will be done.

Governments, with few exceptions, are full of "motor mouths"!

Edited by lvr181
Additional comment

8 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

I wonder how much flood control the cost of three brand new submarines could buy...

Now me, I wonder why it wasn't even started after the disastrous floods of 2011 when submarines weren't even on the periscope view.

What WAS on view was a 2 Trillion baht loan that was supposed to be "off budget". The interest on that alone would have been far more than the cost of the 3 submarines and was "unaccountable". 

Lucky for Thailand that didn't happen.

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:24 AM, hawker9000 said:

I wonder how much flood control the cost of three brand new submarines could buy...

Probably total, since it can all be being sorted by one General, the one whose door is signed 'Underwater Planning'

4 hours ago, Ossy said:

Probably total, since it can all be being sorted by one General, the one whose door is signed 'Underwater Planning'

"Underwater Planning"?  You are too generous Sir. Sounds to me more like "head in the sand" planning. :thumbsup: