Buying home with Thai girlfriend advice

Just go ahead and buy the damn house.

If you feel comfortable and are ok with the situation and relationship and you & her are in it for the long haul then do it.

You will never get that money back again but you have a family to care about and support so go for it.

Life is to short to procrastinate.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you buy a house for your girlfriend get a 30 year lease registered on your behalf otherwise

she can kick you out

Then if you want 100% protection for the home marry here Then under Thai law you have a right to 50 % if the marriage

breaks up and you must sell it

If you want to be 100% sure dont buy it I have seen so many horror stories Under Thai law you really have little or no protection

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Just go ahead and buy the damn house.

Life is to short to procrastinate.

Yes that generally is my out look on life--although it doesn't go down that well with most of the TV fraternity --who on retiring usually like to kick any new idea around for 10-15 years.....

If you can afford it and don't worry about things going tits up then go for it. If you marry you could reclaim  some of your cash if things did go tits up..

I have known blokes who have bought a bird a house but after her new found status the relationship changed, and not for the better...:sad:

As we know building a place here is very cheap, way different to farangland, so if you are still earning it could be worth the gamble...

Have you ever been to Essan?  I'be been to a few different locations.  There are a LOT of farang paid for houses with no farang, and in some cases nobody at all.  Rent a place.  Better yet,  buy her one baht in gold.  If she still has it in six months consider yourself pretty luck.  If she still has it in one year consider yourself very lucky; this is, she didn't have you pay for it and later she pawned it off for cash...  

1 minute ago, dotpoom said:

Buy it in a company name (relatively easy to do). If after time you are still together you can always move into her name if you wish.....or not.

Wasnt there someone deported for doing that illegally? Not so easy

3 minutes ago, ToS2014 said:

Have you ever been to Essan?  I'be been to a few different locations.  There are a LOT of farang paid for houses with no farang, and in some cases nobody at all.  Rent a place.  Better yet,  buy her one baht in gold.  If she still has it in six months consider yourself pretty luck.  If she still has it in one year consider yourself very lucky; this is, she didn't have you pay for it and later she pawned it off for cash...  

Ever thought that the empty houses could just be that mr and mrs are on holiday or living in mr's home country and using the house as a holiday pad untill its time to retire. No of course not doesnt fit into your neat little box does it ?

4 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Ever thought that the empty houses could just be that mr and mrs are on holiday or living in mr's home country and using the house as a holiday pad untill its time to retire. No of course not doesnt fit into your neat little box does it ?

4 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Yup, thought of it and asked the wifey.  The answer fit into my neat little box much better than yours.  How many years does it take to be on holiday for vegetation to grow out windows?

9 minutes ago, ToS2014 said:

You seem to know a lot about who owns what in Isaan during your couple of visits. I live here and don't know who owns what just by looking or by what folk chat...

Let her family guarantee loan in her name for 30 years and you pay the monthly like it would be rent. If your relationship is still ok after 3 years... you need to refinance the loan anyway every 3 years so you can pay more or nothing depending your situation.

As a loan/rent payer you will be valuable every month. If you pay the house full... you are not in strong situation.

Edited by Topah

1 hour ago, hellstens said:

Rent!!! to you married and have all paper at least,

But if I was you I RENT full time, you will lose it someday,

you never know when you need to move for some reason,  

I rent for 13 years now and never have any problem.

Money down the drain, you could have bought somewhere by now with that rent money

Do NOT listen to all these cynics on here!  tut, tut they are too old to remember what is was like to be YOUNG!

Oh that flavored flower of youth...  long gone but nay forgotten!!!  the smell of youths embrace... the longing heart... the idealism....the hopes and dreams.... still enough of THAT!

Buy it, save up for the sick Buffalo and prepare for the relatives many woes (you can afford it) and don't forget  "she's different"

14 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Go for it..........as long as you can get a thirty year lease in your name on the land and house, from your girlfriend.

Yes but,only when it is not in her village.It would not be very nice living in a house with enemies all around you.

I had a few friends over time have this decision.

Most the time you cannot tell them, for they say..

"this one different, she have a good job, good family, i know her for a long time"..on and on

In EVERY case i seen the guy end up kicked out or just walk away because in the end the lady turn into such a bXtch you cannot live with her.

Also you will get asked for money for this and that from the family..it never ends!

If in Isaan, you will die of boredom or become and alky if have nothing to do.

My advice to you

In many provinces they have what like a village bank who loan money at a decent rate.

i would get the woman to borrow money...in HER name, telling her you will make the repayment every year as long as you with her.

If she starts with excuses or reason why she cant do it..then you know what  her motivation is from the start..

Rip you off for a free house!

41 minutes ago, ToS2014 said:

Yup, thought of it and asked the wifey.  The answer fit into my neat little box much better than yours.  How many years does it take to be on holiday for vegetation to grow out windows?

Not long here went away for 3 months last year took a month on return to tame the wilderness. So not so neat.

19 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

"this one different, she have a good job, good family, i know her for a long time"..on and on

In EVERY case i seen the guy end up kicked out or just walk away because in the end the lady turn into such a bXtch you cannot live with her.

Also you will get asked for money for this and that from the family..it never ends!

My advice to you

In many provinces they have what like a village bank who loan money at a decent rate.

i would get the woman to borrow money...in HER name, telling her you will make the repayment every year as long as you with her.

If she starts with excuses or reason why she cant do it..then you know what  her motivation is from the start..

I have been with the same lady for 14 years. Moreover I am 31 years older & her parents live on the property.

We have never separated.

We don't live in Isaan but very close.

Drink - I have been in AA for 33 years.

Boredom - sometimes. The only expat in our area is a Buddhist monk.

Edited by superglue

10 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

My advice to you

Rubish first point.

Even more rubish on the E-ssan boredom point..

As for the lat bit some merit then you spoil it going back to all thai women blah blah blah

When you go round visiting these locations do you go out with a note pad and go walking up and down soi’s making notes about what’s empty, take a trip to local office to make sure they are ferang paid then report back.
There must be a forum with others who do what you do cos I’ve read the same post a number of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If you love her and you think she loves you, why not ?

1)- you may buy a condo in your name, but she will not feel at home

2)- you may buy an house in her name with an usufruct to you. Great for her, no worry for you but be aware you are trapped (she cannot let you go out, but your only right is to be able to stay in)

In any case avoid to buy your home close to her family in a small isaan neighbourhood

25 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

My advice to you

very true.. rent-a-thai don't buy

23 minutes ago, transam said:

I personally would not buy near the family. After many years of family stuff I am sure glad we didn't...:stoner:

As always there will be differing views on this subject. I built in my Wifes  village have never had any problems with the family in fact quite the opposite.  Sure glad I did.

We had more problems when we rented in BKK bloody nightmare, looking back now wish we would have built and moved here 15 years ago instead of 5 years ago.