Unregistered drones BANNED in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

On 10/11/2017 at 8:21 PM, diddygq said:

What a great law for Thailand and the mafia, I mean police.  They can't wait to extort money from the tourists that come and fly them without knowing this law in 90 days. 

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, if you are visiting a country it is up to you to make yourself aware of any law that might exist regarding drones.

I know that Australia has laws on drones and don't doubt other countries are the same.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/11/2017 at 8:11 PM, Deerculler said:

Drones are unnecessary toys and should not be available to the public, same as assault weapons

The Forms are very straight forward. Not clear on the insurance part, if insurance is required and it's mor3 then say 5k baht annually mine will not be registered.  

I honestly have no issue registering the drone.  I take exception to mandatory insurance. That's the Scam.

As like anything we consumers can purchase, there will always be some asshats that do something stupid to ruin it for others.  I really like aerial videography.  It is fun and I have some beautiful vids.  The knuckledraggers that fly by temples, airports, military bases etc are idiots.  As for the people claiming "Invasion of Privacy" get over yourself. People seem to think people want to spy on them.  Inflated self value I say.  I don't want people in my videos.  They usually ruin it. 

53 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

HAHAHAHA.  Well people like this chick are stupid.  You want to tan naked go to a Salon.  

What I have find quite funny is people are being watched constantly with private webcams and surveillance and don't even know it.  It's how YouTube survives.

On 10/11/2017 at 8:04 PM, Bonefish said:

Drones are unnecessary toys and should not be available to the public, same as assault weapons . The bigger ones can carry payloads of 20 kg or more, and are potentially extremely dangerous delivery systems for explosives, chemical and biological weapons and other nasty stuff.

It's easy to make a car controlled remotely, by rc or internet from a cellphone. Or just park the car with explosive load and let it detonate by cellphone...So all cars also should be banned??

You can't stop bombs and terrorists. And what will they do if there is still a drone flying in forbidden area?? Shoot it down so it can still explode when it carries a bomb?

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

HAHAHAHA.  Well people like this chick are stupid.  You want to tan naked go to a Salon.  

What I have find quite funny is people are being watched constantly with private webcams and surveillance and don't even know it.  It's how YouTube survives.

I didn't find it funny at all.

EVERYBODY has a right to their privacy, and it is oiks like the operator in the clip that are causing problems for so many other people.

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

The Forms are very straight forward. 

Are you talking about the downloadable forms from CAAT (UAV-Registration & Consent-to-the-Disclosure-of-Personal-Information) ? 

Till now could not found any form(s) provided by NBCT.

Drones are unnecessary toys and should not be available to the public, same as assault weapons .

Can you give a few examples of necessary toys?

The bigger ones can carry payloads of 20 kg or more, and are potentially extremely dangerous delivery systems for explosives, chemical and biological weapons and other nasty stuff.

We’re not talking about those military-grade vehicles.

Camera-equipped drones are also commonly used to snoop on other people's privacy and business dealings. They can go stationary and take photos and videos right through people's windows, even in condo and office buildings.

Is that why regular cameras and telephoto lenses are already banned, along with binoculars and telescopes?

And they can easily be used to take down aircraft, either on take-off or on landing approach.

Nope; you must be thinking of a rocket or missile.

Why they were ever allowed to be made available to the public is totally incomprehensible to me.

In a free society, things should be legal by default unless there are compelling, reality-based reasons to make them illegal.

EVERYBODY has a right to their privacy, and it is oiks like the operator in the clip that are causing problems for so many other people.

Nobody has a right to privacy in a public place, or in any private place that could be easily viewed from a public place (your balcony, car). The roof of that apartment building is not a private space, as anyone could go up there and stumble across the sunbather.

7 pages and we still don't know

1. Where to buy insurance ?

2. Who gets the form ?:   NBTC headquarters in Bangkok, its branches in many provinces, police stations and CAT offices

They think just because they make a law in this country it will magically happen.   Someone had better come up with a drone insurance policy or they are going to get a lot of forms with that box blank 

If no one provides insurance then the law can't be enforced , simple as that  

2 minutes ago, attrayant said:

Nobody has a right to privacy in a public place, or in any private place that could be easily viewed from a public place (your balcony, car). The roof of that apartment building is not a private space, as anyone could go up there and stumble across the sunbather.

It is a private place owned by the owner of the apartment block and certainly not by some numbnut of a drone user.

The only people who should have access to the roofspace are the people who live there, and certainly not  some numbnut of a drone user.

I have a catapult and some clay balls for ammunition and if I find some drone user floating around my house I will attempt to shoot it down.

1 hour ago, Ular said:

Are you talking about the downloadable forms from CAAT (UAV-Registration & Consent-to-the-Disclosure-of-Personal-Information) ? 

Till now could not found any form(s) provided by NBCT.

Yes. Those are the ones I have.  

51 minutes ago, attrayant said:

^Absolutely right.  Had the vid been taken of her naked in her front living through her window then I fully agree.  Her on a roof is not private.  It would be like a topless women on a beach. What is the difference if someone snapped a pic with a GoPro vs a Drone. Nothing. It's not private.  

49 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

7 pages and we still don't know

1. Where to buy insurance ?

2. Who gets the form ?:   NBTC headquarters in Bangkok, its branches in many provinces, police stations and CAT offices

They think just because they make a law in this country it will magically happen.   Someone had better come up with a drone insurance policy or they are going to get a lot of forms with that box blank 

If no one provides insurance then the law can't be enforced , simple as that  

There are 5 of us looking  and at this point there is nobody who offers 3rd party insurance that we can find.  We are still looking.

The flaw here is what are they insuring. Public damage? Medical liability? Appears they made a law and put no thought into how to enforce it.  

As I said. I will gladly register it but I am not insuring it.  

8 minutes ago, JAFO said:

There are 5 of us looking  and at this point there is nobody who offers 3rd party insurance that we can find.  We are still looking.

The flaw here is what are they insuring. Public damage? Medical liability? Appears they made a law and put no thought into how to enforce it.  

As I said. I will gladly register it but I am not insuring it.  

I'm sure that's exactly what they're hoping for:

1. You can't register it without insurance.

2. No insurance is available therefore

3. You can't register it so 

4. Lots of lovely lolly can be made from fines for not registering. Now that's the kind of law the BiB like!

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

It is a private place owned by the owner of the apartment block and certainly not by some numbnut of a drone user.

The only people who should have access to the roofspace are the people who live there, and certainly not  some numbnut of a drone user.

I have a catapult and some clay balls for ammunition and if I find some drone user floating around my house I will attempt to shoot it down.

So, if the drone user lived in that apartment block you are fine with it?

Your balls of clay are more of a danger and annoyance than a drone.  

What if the numbnut of a drone user lives in the building?

How about a car driving around your house, is that fair game too?

On 10/11/2017 at 8:32 PM, birra606 said:

99.9% of people do not buy Consumer Drones for spying on people its manly for photography like filming scenery/ family /sport etc you and other people privacy is not on the agenda....... were not all spy's working for the NSA 

"I think you may need to tighten your tin foil hat a bit more .... the aliens may have altered your grey matter while you were sleeping"

CmoFZGMXgAA49KA.jpg

thats right we're not all spies,  only the guys that sit next to me in bars..

6 hours ago, attrayant said:

What if the numbnut of a drone user lives in the building?

How about a car driving around your house, is that fair game too?

I hope that it is a 4 x 4 to drive around my house, especially as I ahve a neighbour on one side whose land and property the car would have to drive though, but they would be trespassing, then through the barbed wire fence at the back, through the national park, trespassing again, and then through the other neighbours land and property, trespassing yet again.

If you think that you can do it, then go for it.

In anycase what you and many others are saying is that no one has a right to privacy at all and any numbnut with a drone can do whatever they want with no comeback at all.

That is certainly not what is permitted in most western countries, and what the propsed law is all about in Thailand, and then you wonder why laws like that are brought in.

Found some pdf's ready to download on NBTC website, but they are only available in Thai.

http://www.nbtc.go.th/law/คำสั่ง/คำสั่ง/การขึ้นทะเบียนเครื่องวิทยุคมนาคมที่ใช้ในอากาศยานซึ.aspx

The form to be completed with personal and drone information does not ask for an insurance policy number.

Small question, I read in the Bangkok post the reason was The NBTC stepped in to regulate drones as they are controlled by communication "radio frequencies".

My drone is controlled by Wifi signal only (Parrot Bebop) not radio communication?

Can't be arsed with more CRAP from the  unelected pratt's so will get rid of both.

2 Parrot bebop 2's for sale undamaged un crashed  with great spy  footage available, watch the locals move cows around the neighbourhood etc etc

Mr Takorn said flying and controlling drones needs to comply with the existing regulation governing related conditions by the CAAT. "People must be aware they cannot use drones which are unregistered because it will violate the Communications Radio Act.

So its a Communication Radio Act? Mine doesnt use radio communication?

18 hours ago, billd766 said:

When you choose to sunbathe topless in a "public area" no matter how inaccessible or remote it seems you forgo your right to privacy.

The rooftop of a public building is legally very different to the privacy of your own homes back garden. 

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

I hope that it is a 4 x 4 to drive around my house, especially as I ahve a neighbour on one side whose land and property the car would have to drive though, but they would be trespassing, then through the barbed wire fence at the back, through the national park, trespassing again, and then through the other neighbours land and property, trespassing yet again.

Dunno about 4x4s but Thais are allowed to gather food on YOUR private land with the proviso they can't gather from a commercial crop. That's why Thais build such high fences around their land.

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

In anycase what you and many others are saying is that no one has a right to privacy at all and any numbnut with a drone can do whatever they want with no comeback at all.

That is certainly not what is permitted in most western countries, and what the propsed law is all about in Thailand, and then you wonder why laws like that are brought in.

@Billd766,

We normally get on well in TV chats and I wanted to say I respect your opinion and personal sentiment about drones. I do want to say however that not all of us Drone owners are numbnuts. In fact the majority are not. Its those few that create this "Drones are an invasion of my Privacy" debate. I do believe that you should not be able to purchase a drone that is over 1KG and has a camera unless you have taken some sort of flying class and get a license (No different then driving a car). Insurance is absolutely idiotic for a drone 2kg's or less. 

There is a huge international debate going on about Drones. I am against the large ones due to the risk they pose to most whether it be from what they can carry to the weight if they should fall. The little ones are fun.

On your comment about privacy...Lets be realistic, Once you leave your house you have lost all privacy. In this day and age it should be assumed that someone is watching you with webcams, camera's sensors etc. Its the world these days. 

And FWIIW, In the states shooting down a drone is quite illegal. Drones are considered aircraft and the FAA is very clear that you cannot shoot down an aircraft.  Thailand is a long way off from that rule and debate. 

56 minutes ago, Ular said:

Found some pdf's ready to download on NBTC website, but they are only available in Thai.

http://www.nbtc.go.th/law/คำสั่ง/คำสั่ง/การขึ้นทะเบียนเครื่องวิทยุคมนาคมที่ใช้ในอากาศยานซึ.aspx

The form to be completed with personal and drone information does not ask for an insurance policy number.

I have the two English versions and on page two of the drone reg form about midway down it has a line for insurance. At this point there is no mention of insurance being mandatory.  In the the US its optional. Same should apply here

10 minutes ago, JAFO said:

I have the two English versions and on page two of the drone reg form about midway down it has a line for insurance. At this point there is no mention of insurance being mandatory.  In the the US its optional. Same should apply here

Sometimes you have to read a little more than what you want to, seems pretty  mandatory to me, especially when they list insurance limits :

insurance.png.bcd8ce7f1a8cb4092f15699f867aeadd.png

33 minutes ago, JAFO said:

The form from NBTC is slightly different from the one from CAAT, e.g. no insurance information and no operating locations required.

However I will go to the local police station next week once and will see how they can provide support in this matter (living up-country).

The form in Thai might have a better chance to be accepted.

Visited Switzerland last year and there an insurance was mandatory to operate my Phantom in case of all kind of damages caused by the drone.

I had no customs issues at that time neither at Suvarnaphumi nor at Zurich Airport.

47 minutes ago, Langsuan Man said:

Sometimes you have to read a little more than what you want to, seems pretty  mandatory to me, especially when they list insurance limits :

insurance.png.bcd8ce7f1a8cb4092f15699f867aeadd.png

All interpretation. That wants insurance info.   This can be interpreted as if you have it please supply it.  Nowhere in all forms I have reviewed does it state drone insurance is required or mandatory.  My Thai colleagues who I fly with have called and no one seems to know.  My wife went to the police station where we live up north and they said "No Idea"

Your privacy is gone long ago.
Gov is watching.
CCTV everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Archived