Thaivisa exclusive: “Attempted murder" as "Australian" man punched by Thai in school says he is really British

webfact

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Media1 said:

He won't see jail. The dumb Thai weakling jumped on his car. The idiot he is.

Have you actually seen the video filmed from the front?  That is one strange jump, backwards while he was moving forwards, how exactly do you do a physics defying move such as that one?

Question 1: What happened before the Thai guy suddenly stopped his car in front of the British guy?

Question 2: Why did the Thai guy stop his car and not keep driving?

I think that this must come into this case as there is no video of even the Thai guy passing the British guy.

I have driven in many countries and used many different Dash Cams and I have never seen any resulting in the rubbish quality of this video. This video has been doctored because at the start of the video it shows the Brit driving with the machete in his hand, and then it shows him get out of his car and get the machete out of the back.

What is the true story of events in this matter, unless you were there and witnessed the whole thing with your own eyes and ears then it is all supposition on your behalf and from what I have seen on here it has brought out a lot of racial hatred both toward farangs and also toward Thai's.

To me this is a case of road rage by both parties and they are both guilty of attempted Manslaughter. The Brit by using his car and the Thai by using a coward punch.

Coward punch in Australia mandatory 5 years for attempted manslaughter

22 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Have you actually seen the video filmed from the front?  That is one strange jump, backwards while he was moving forwards, how exactly do you do a physics defying move such as that one?

Don't stand in front of vehicles trying to move forward. His ego gotbtje bettervof him. The dimb Thai. Bird brain. Your not superman. You are also not permitted to stop traffic..As I said you can't teach me anything. 

18 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Question 1: What happened before the Thai guy suddenly stopped his car in front of the British guy?

I think that this must come into this case as there is no video of even the Thai guy passing the British guy.

I have driven in many countries and used many different Dash Cams and I have never seen any resulting in the rubbish quality of this video. This video has been doctored because at the start of the video it shows the Brit driving with the machete in his hand, and then it shows him get out of his car and get the machete out of the back.

What is the true story of events in this matter, unless you were there and witnessed the whole thing with your own eyes and ears then it is all supposition on your behalf and from what I have seen on here it has brought out a lot of racial hatred both toward farangs and also toward Thai's.

To me this is a case of road rage by both parties and they are both guilty of attempted Manslaughter. The Brit by using his car and the Thai by using a coward punch.

Attempted manslaughter?  Either you attempt to kill someone but don't in which case it is attempted murder or you don't intend to kill someone but do in which case it is manslaughter, attempted manslaughter would require you to be not trying to kill someone and also not kill them, that would be called assault.

And I don't doubt that you could get 5 years for the sucker punch, but what would be the sentence for the machete attack and running him over? 

24 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Yes correct my old mate and champion Danny Green. These Thais are constantly assaulting foreigners freely. They should be heavily sentenced jailed. 

Just now, Media1 said:

Don't stand in front of vehicles trying to move forward. His ego gotbtje bettervof him. The dimb Thai. Bird brain. Your not superman. You are also not permitted to stop traffic..As I said you can't teach me anything. 

He was in front of the car before the Brit was even inside it, you would know that if you bothered to watch the video.  And you really do have a lot to learn if you think you have the right to run people over if they are in front of your car, but then you were the one saying he should have reversed over him, so no one is going to listen to your psychotic waffle anyway, are they?  

50 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

But a need to bring a machete? 

And if you really concerned for the kids then you would also be concerned for the poor kid in the car while the crazed Brit was chopping at it with a machete and seeing their father ran over in front of them, just a little more scary than wittinessing a punch.  You're making no sense and only revealing your racism by applying completely different rules for the Brit to the Thai.  

Bla bla what family have a Thai father out there looking for trouble with a new born. His a scum bag. Joke and a oxygen thief.

Just now, Media1 said:

Bla bla what family have a Thai father out there looking for trouble with a new born. His a scum bag. Joke and a oxygen thief.

Why the Thai?  The Brit was out looking for trouble in front of his daughters school, brandishing a machete and running someone over in front of kids.  What ever names you call the Thai you will never make him look as bad as the Brit made himself look.

Kieran00001, get your facts right. This did not happen in front of the school and the children. What happened in the school in front of the children was the assault by the Thai guy in front of the police officer. Attempted murder is when a person deliberately plans to kill someone. If you want to use the murder charge then it could also be laid against the Thai guy because he deliberately coward punched the Brit so that the Brit would hit his head on the pavement and die.

Your arguments do not stand up.

Attempted Manslaughter is if there is the possibility of a person dieing

18 hours ago, Russell17au said:

NanLaew, it is not a case of "thinking" that the car ran into the guy. It is a case that the video does not clearly show the action at the front of the car. In the court the judge cannot think, they must go on the evidence and that video does not show what actually happened in the front of the car. The video is taken from the wrong angle with the car obstructing the clear view of what has happened. You cannot clearly see if the car hit the Thai guy or if the Thai guy jumped on the car to avoid being hit or if the Thai guy jumped on the car to try and get to the Brit. Everything is only speculation as to what has happened. Also in the video the cars are already stopped and a 4WD has had to drive around then.What has happened before the video has started?

All well and good but to be perfectly honest, any 'thinking" went out the window when this pair started their as-yet un-witnessed and un-recorded jousting in their cars well before anyone's dash cam or media conveniently caught the big-knife-out-of-the-trunk or the car-hits-body or fist-hits-chin action.

So far we have the farang idiot stating in the media that there was at least four instances of vehicle-to-vehicle dicking about that pre-empted the main event; he admits to it. He digs an even deeper hole when he comments that his hand signal to 'waive the Thai through' may have been 'misinterpreted as the finger.' Yeah right... Doubtless the Thai media has the Thai similarly claiming that the farang started it, cut him off, gave him the finger, etc., etc.. The old coot should really just stop talking, pay up and give the car keys to the wife.

Any farang who looses out on any 'me first' competition against a local when driving should realize there's no sense in playing their childish games. Just don't do it.

Any farang that initiates any automobile argy bargy needs to be fully aware that the other driver may not like it and may do the old "cut-in and brake/stop" bullsh!t. That's the point when you uncoil your impressive, physically fit, +6 foot, 200 lb* frame from your pickup, slam the door and walk towards the wimp, hands on hips, wild-eyed and asking very, very loudly, "Tahm arrai?!" and completely avoiding using the f-word or the finger. **

* Legend in my own lunchtime.

** This has worked for me in 2 of (the only) 2 instances where they started the argy bargy and both times they got back in their cars and pissed off... with much revving, black exhaust smoke and testosterone-replacing rubber burning as they could muster from their shaking right leg.

Just now, Russell17au said:

Kieran00001, get your facts right. This did not happen in front of the school and the children. What happened in the school in front of the children was the assault by the Thai guy in front of the police officer. Attempted murder is when a person deliberately plans to kill someone. If you want to use the murder charge then it could also be laid against the Thai guy because he deliberately coward punched the Brit so that the Brit would hit his head on the pavement and die.

Your arguments do not stand up.

Attempted Manslaughter is if there is the possibility of a person dieing

Sure they could have both been charged with attempted murder, I have never argued against that, and what arguments don't add up, you have not made that clear.

And please find me a legal reference to attempted manslaughter, I don't believe it exists as it is a oxymoron, and I think you just made it up.

12 hours ago, elnet1 said:

Probably better if he self-deports then, I am sure that gold-boy can pay a couple of thugs 1000b to thump his ass when he least expects it. I doubt that gold-boy is a nice person running a scam business like that all angry as he seemed

He can't self-deport. When he paid the 200k they also took his passport and canceled his visa. His status is temporary until the court case has concluded. If he doesn't serve time and pays a fine, he will be deported. 

On 10/13/2017 at 10:19 AM, Ratcher said:

I have no sympathy for this "British" guy. If he speaks with an Aussie accent he must have lived there for a long time. I think there may be more to this story. He was in the wrong. Gives the law abiding British a bad name. He should lose his right to live here for his stupid behaviour. 

Yet some people say I as an Aussie speak with a British accent - although none of these people are British or Australian themselves. Go figure. Still, most Americans and most other non-native English speakers can't really distinguish between the two accents although at the same time there is no such thing as a "universal" Aussie accent, there are quite a few different types though they aren't as varied as different American or UK accents of course.

Anyway, if he holds a British passport he should be considered as British especially as he claims his Australian residency (presumably this means PR) has expired by now and he does not possess Australian citizenship.

Despite people on this forum claiming otherwise, I still don't believe that a mere "finger waiving" incident that succeeded the near accident was the primary trigger as he claims. I just don't think drivers here would react in such an extreme fashion (with some very few exceptions perhaps) but road rage is not really a thing here as it is in the west.

There would have to be an actual accident or something more serious for people to lose it, not merely being cut off. That happens all the time - I have to admit I recently drove in a manner that could have resulted in an accident (I went straight from the right lane while another guy in the left lane turning right nearly hit me) though to be fair that particular intersection is so poorly designed there's bound to be problems from time to time - it only has one lane going straight (you should be in the left lane to do so but the traffic signs don't tell you that), where you then have to do a sharp 90 degree turn immediately after the traffic island if you want to go in that direction, otherwise you're forced to go straight on the frontage road and face a 3km detour to do a u-turn.

In any case, I see similar traffic maneuvers occur almost daily and no one bats an eyelid (and at that particular intersection I've seen vehicles do what I did constantly). I only did so in order to not have to wait at the lights as I was the last car to go through before the lights turned red and this was after being frustrated at having missed my earlier exit after which I got stuck in this huge traffic jam at the usual bottleneck caused by 2 roads converging into one costing me 20 minutes all because I couldn't properly make out the exit. I know if there had been a collision it would have been my fault. Lesson learned for me although luckily nothing happened.

As for this particular guy, I think there should be a settlement made between the two parties if they can agree to settle their claims (and anger) there is no need to take this any further. The British guy will simply need to realize the mistake he made and hopefully react in a more calm manner in future.

I don't think criminal action needs to be taken UNLESS either of the two parties threatens the other in which case that evidence can be used to justify the proceeding of a criminal case with intent to cause harm.

2 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

Have you seen the new video filmed from in front?  He accelerates at him as the Thai man tries to get out the way and then he makes off!  In my country he would be getting a few years for that!

Yes, that was the one I watched. That's why I said you must have watched a different one because it didn't happen as you embellished.

25 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

All well and good but to be perfectly honest, any 'thinking" went out the window when this pair started their as-yet un-witnessed and un-recorded jousting in their cars well before anyone's dash cam or media conveniently caught the big-knife-out-of-the-trunk or the car-hits-body or fist-hits-chin action.

So far we have the farang idiot stating in the media that there was at least four instances of vehicle-to-vehicle dicking about that pre-empted the main event; he admits to it. He digs an even deeper hole when he comments that his hand signal to 'waive the Thai through' may have been 'misinterpreted as the finger.' Yeah right... Doubtless the Thai media has the Thai similarly claiming that the farang started it, cut him off, gave him the finger, etc., etc.. The old coot should really just stop talking, pay up and give the car keys to the wife.

Any farang who looses out on any 'me first' competition against a local when driving should realize there's no sense in playing their childish games. Just don't do it.

Any farang that initiates any automobile argy bargy needs to be fully aware that the other driver may not like it and may do the old "cut-in and brake/stop" bullsh!t. That's the point when you uncoil your impressive, physically fit, +6 foot, 200 lb* frame from your pickup, slam the door and walk towards the wimp, hands on hips, wild-eyed and asking very, very loudly, "Tahm arrai?!" and completely avoiding using the f-word or the finger. **

* Legend in my own lunchtime.

** This has worked for me in 2 of (the only) 2 instances where they started the argy bargy and both times they got back in their cars and pissed off... with much revving, black exhaust smoke and testosterone-replacing rubber burning as they could muster from their shaking right leg.

I hope you are joking, there is never any need to get out of your car...  

The 'tit for tat' me first game is very common here....  but its unpredictable, you never know when its going to happen, I'm equally surprised by people giving way... But back to the 'tit for tat' game, edging out, pushing in, forcing someone to give way as you enter queueing or slow moving traffic, or someone else is entering in front of you.... It's common and nothing to really get upset about... 

IF someone pulls the 'Stop & Block' game, they have only one thing in mind - escalation....  What you do from this point on decides your immediate fate... i.e. ignore it and nothing happens, get out and have a fight and face consequences. 

Well said, perhaps the Brit has some chance at presenting some mitigating evidence in the form of being a victim of road rage before he then joined in and escalated things, but that is all he could have, he did what he did, and he ran someone over and attacked them with a machete.  The only people here sticking up for him are racists, plain and simple.

Maybe he only said he was British coz he didn’t want to end up in kangaroo paper as everyone in oz would know about his antics here in thai ... seems only he has stated he’s on a British passport speaking with a auzzie voice ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, tropo said:

He can't self-deport. When he paid the 200k they also took his passport and canceled his visa. His status is temporary until the court case has concluded. If he doesn't serve time and pays a fine, he will be deported. 

That's interesting. Although I agree serious foreign criminals shouldn't be allowed to continue living here, is it really the case that every foreigner who commits any sort of crime is deported? Seems a bit odd to me and certainly very strict if what you are saying is indeed true in every case. Are all foreign criminals who commit crimes in western countries deported? Unless said crime was very serious - most probably not. In many cases if they're of a "minority" group they get lawyers on their case and are allowed to stay.

I am not defending criminal behavior here but I think a distinction needs to be made between minor crimes and major crimes. One also sees cases of foreigners selling drugs in Nana who seem to be able to get away with it with impunity (though to be fair that's not a violent crime), which some might see as being a minor crime while others (and the law) sees as being a major, criminal offense.

This particular case is a little bit more difficult to define in terms of where it stands. That's because we don't know if the claims being made by the British guy about the Thai guy forcing him to a stop and then jumping on his hood (bonnet) can be validated as true or not. What is known is his reaction immediately after that, where he got his machete out and even tried to run over the guy with his car.

Convicted or not, can this guy be deported then apply for a new visa and come back? Or is there a time period he will be blacklisted for?

4 minutes ago, flyingfox1 said:

Maybe he only said he was British coz he didn’t want to end up in kangaroo paper as everyone in oz would know about his antics here in thai ... seems only he has stated he’s on a British passport speaking with a auzzie voice ?

He was thinking he didn't want to give the Aussies a bad press. 

4 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Technology yes certainly puts everything in everyone's eyes with YouTube and videos, and perhaps an overcrowding and saturation now is the straw that is breaking the back. I've' been here a long time now, let's just say approx. 18 yrs just in Chiang Mai not including other Thai cities here, and the foreigners have definitely lost their fascination and appeal. It is not the Dr. Livingstone days anymore, and even I am amazed that every far reaching corner here has a foreigner now, places I thought would never happen to have anyone but Thai, but now do. And to add insult, not just one Farang or new Expat but many. I used to feel alone and special in areas here, but not now, those days are gone. 

I never said the Farang or Expats are innocent, not even in the slightest. I've even been guilty at some times in the past, maybe will be in a heated moment again, but media has caught up and one has to remember this as to not be unflatteringly cast in the spot light. I would not get a machete though!

In this case the old Brit let his temper get the best of him. He will surely be punished in the end by the Thai as we are always in the wrong, but actually he is really in the wrong too! Can he go back to Australia now, no, and they should not let him back no. Can he go back and live in the UK, he probably will have to unless he chooses Cambodia or VN. Too bad for the little girl. 

Personally, I don't think he is going anywhere that is just my opinion as everyone has theirs.  Like you I have been here a long time and live amount Thais that doesn't make me any type of expert.  I've been told by expat I've met in my travel that Pattaya and Bangkok is representative of Thailand, and I agree.

I come from a odd background, I didn't come here looking for trouble just like everyone but I've been told I've got some really different stories.  In the beginning I was just like a tourist, but as time went on I saw things but kept it to myself never express my opinion but as time went by I got tired of being taken advantage. I took it but when it comes to my family that drew the line.

Many of the problems with Thais and it isn't that they are bad or stupid, it is their lack of education outside of Thailand.  I agree with one of the MP who express his feeling in a Bangkok Post a number of years ago, he took a lot of heat from his own peers. He basically said, " if you want a better live marry a farang, said the Thai men need to step up and their women should demand more " Also " said  the more patriotic the more stupid "  this statement falls into lots of categories of the Thai life in my opinion. This particular incident is one of them although many don't think it?

Those who downplay the need for learning the local language ought to consider how being able to communicate might well have helped avoid this situation entirely.

The British guy could have talked to the Thai guy instead of running over to his car with a machete. It would have helped him explain his side of the story to the cop, and quite possibly, with a few words of contrition, he might have been able to defuse the Thai guy's anger as well.

When I saw the headline  I was actually expecting that the Thai guy was being charged with "attempted murder." Sucker punching an elderly guy in the head with all your force while he was distracted talking to the policeman, knocking him out, and causing him to fall to the sidewalk? That doesn't qualify? The attempted murder charge for running into the guy, seems unwarranted to me. He was under threat, escaping, and driving at too slow rate of speed for the attempted murder charge to stand.

But the root of the problem still remains with the British guy. Getting out of your car, wielding a machete? Shades of Bernard Goetz (NY vigalante subway shooter). His demeanor on the videos suggested to me that he is quick to anger which is sometimes symptomatic of hypertension as well as frontal lobe dementia, among other things. I would encourage him to have this professionally evaluated. Again, learning to communicate in Thai might help lower frustration levels as well.

14 hours ago, Kieran00001 said:

A left hook is his hardest punch?  

It was no hook. It was a straight left thrown by a left-hander, with the added momentum of a run-up. That was is hardest punch and plenty hard enough to kill.

2 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Those who downplay the need for learning the local language ought to consider how being able to communicate might well have helped avoid this situation entirely.

The British guy could have talked to the guy instead of running over to the Thai guy's car with a machete. It would have helped explain his side of the story to the cop, and quite possibly, with a few words of contrition, he might have been able to defuse the Thai guy's anger as well.

When I saw the headline  I was actually expecting that the Thai guy was being charged with "attempted murder." Sucker punching an elderly guy with all your force while he was engaged talking to the policeman, knocking him out and causing him to fall to the sidewalk? That doesn't qualify? The attempted murder charge for running into the guy, seems unwarranted to me. He was under threat, escaping, and driving at too slow rate of speed for the attempted murder charge to stand.

But the root of the problem still remains with the British guy. Getting out of your car, wielding a machete? Shades of Bernard Goetz (NY vigalante subway shooter). His demeanor on the videos suggested to me that he is quick to anger which is sometimes symptomatic of hypertension as well as frontal lobe dementia, among other things. I would encourage him to have this professionally evaluated. Again, learning to communicate in Thai might help lower frustration levels as well.

Careful with the dementia assessment. I tried that many pages ago... Any suggestion of that will invoke the wrath of many who believe all 77 years olds should be wise, well behaved and in perfect mental health.

You say he should have gone to the Thai's car and attempted communication. I disagree with that. He should have stayed in his car, which at that point was the safest place to be.

15 minutes ago, jimster said:

That's interesting. Although I agree serious foreign criminals shouldn't be allowed to continue living here, is it really the case that every foreigner who commits any sort of crime is deported? Seems a bit odd to me and certainly very strict if what you are saying is indeed true in every case. Are all foreign criminals who commit crimes in western countries deported? Unless said crime was very serious - most probably not. In many cases if they're of a "minority" group they get lawyers on their case and are allowed to stay.

I am not defending criminal behavior here but I think a distinction needs to be made between minor crimes and major crimes. One also sees cases of foreigners selling drugs in Nana who seem to be able to get away with it with impunity (though to be fair that's not a violent crime), which some might see as being a minor crime while others (and the law) sees as being a major, criminal offense.

This particular case is a little bit more difficult to define in terms of where it stands. That's because we don't know if the claims being made by the British guy about the Thai guy forcing him to a stop and then jumping on his hood (bonnet) can be validated as true or not. What is known is his reaction immediately after that, where he got his machete out and even tried to run over the guy with his car.

Convicted or not, can this guy be deported then apply for a new visa and come back? Or is there a time period he will be blacklisted for?

Not all convicted foreign criminals are deported, it is up to them whether or not to revoke the visa, deport and blacklist

There is a video posted here filmed from the front where we see him get into his car without the Thai already in front of it and choose to accelerate straight at him, the Thai tries to get out of the way but gets knocked down by him and then the Brit accelerates off, he clearly does not jump on but actually is run over, so not that hard to validate as being clearly a lie.

There have been cases of people being only fined but blacklisted for 15 years, those jailed but blacklisted for 10 years and even one who did nothing wrong in Thailand but they found out about a minor crime in his home country who was blacklisted for 25 years, there is no guideline, it is just up to them, but he will be given a specific amount of time, and he will be very lucky if he is not blacklisted for this, generally anything deemed antisocial will carry a blacklisting.

17 minutes ago, jimster said:

It's a fact that he had to surrender his passport when he posted bail, and his visa was cancelled and given a temporary visa. If this goes to court he will be convicted of a crime and either fined or fined and imprisoned. Do you think they will allow him to stay after that?

An expat was deported and blacklisted not long ago for using fake nominees for his company (a very common activity). There was a long thread about it on here.

You do the comparison.

Kieran00001,

Involuntary manslaughter may be distinguished from accidental death. A person who is driving carefully, but whose car nevertheless hits a child darting out into the street, has not committed manslaughter. A person who pushes off an aggressive drunk, who then falls and dies, has probably not committed manslaughter, although in some jurisdictions it may depend whether "excessive force" was used or other factors.

It is also possible to be held civilly liable for a death (and pay damages) without being criminally liable (and going to prison), e.g. O.J. Simpson.

As manslaughter is not defined by legislation in Australia, common law decisions provide the basis for determining whether an act resulting in death amounts to manslaughter by unlawful and dangerous act.[10] To be found guilty of manslaughter by an unlawful and dangerous act, the accused must be shown to have committed an unlawful act which is contrary to the criminal law[11] and that a reasonable person in the position of the accused would have known that by his or her act, he or she was exposing the victim to an ‘appreciable risk of serious injury

Both these idiots, The Brit and the Thai are guilty of this

This is certainly an interesting case and should be an example to all foreigners in Thailand of what not to do when driving and interaction with Thai people.  Most foreigners driving in Thailand -drive based upon their experiences in Western society.  Thailand has its own driving culture.  A thai will almost always attempt to get in front of you and encroach into your lane if possible. They always want to go first.  If you attempt to block them continually and then make a motion with your hand or finger that is considered derisive- you are setting up a potential road rage situation.

My 21 year old  Thai brother in law was killed in Bangkok in a road rage incident very similar to what we are discussing. Both he and the other Thai party passing and cajoling each other and then both stopped and exchanged words- The other party came out with a machete and killed my Brother in Law.  My Brother in Law had no weapons on him or in his vehicle.Witnesses testified in court.  The other party pleaded innocent.  He was convicted and sentenced to 20 years in prison for attempted murder (culpable manslaughter). 

Is losing your temper over a small incident on the roadway worth losing your life. I always give way- never wave hands or make comments.  Life is precious.

Archived