Need help finding a lawyer to sue Lazada and a third party vendor

I know this is not the correct part of the form for this but I looked and there's no section specifically that states law in Thailand. This is my predicament I need to find an attorney that will either take my case and take the money after the fact or do pro bono because I'm not a rich bastard. The case is simple I bought a Google Chromecast knockoff off of Lazada here in Thailand. After using the device for 3 days my TV started to develop squiggly lines on the top and by the end of the week the TV screen had blacked out. And the phone that I had used and connected to the device had also gone on the fritz. I contacted Lazada with pictures and in video showing damage and that the TV was out of warranty but still under 5 years old. and had never had problems previous to connecting the device. Lazada acknowledged that something might have happened and initiated an internal investigation and contacted the third party vendor and then at that point their tune changed and stated that the product was out of warranty and then two weeks later the next email was a generic email saying basically we don't know what you're talking about what emails did you send us. So this leads me to today I would like to sue Lazada and the vendor that caused my flat screen TV to take a s*** and my cell phone to fudge up. Anybody can tell me is it sounds like there's mail Charles Anybody can tell me is it sounds like there's mail Charles Anybody can tell me is it sounds like there's mail Charles Anybody can tell me is it sounds like there's mail it now is that there may have been and still is illegal software coding in the knock off Chromecast and this is why Lazada and the vendor refuse to acknowledge my damages or emails. I was smart and saved every copy of all emails and correspondence and pictures.

Edited by tstcman

Maybe best just to learn from your mistake,NO lawyer here is going to do Pro Bono, 

so this means you will have to either pay up front,with bills increasing,as the lawyer

messes you about,best to keep as far away from lawyers as possible,because some

are worse than the crooks.

regards Worgeordie

If I were you I'd just buy a new TV and phone and forget about it, the chances of winning are negligible and that's if you can find a lawyer to take it on and the cost will be extortionate, write it down to experience and don't buy fake electronic goods.

Hope that helps. 

UJ has a good suggestion - linked above.

My best advice, beyond that, would be to work via social-media to find others who had the same experience.  If a large enough pool of victims of this faulty product were considered together, perhaps some lawyer/court arrangement to attempt a remedy could be made that would be less costly per-person.  This assumes something akin to a "class action" lawsuit (one case covering multiple plaintiffs), or pooling of legal-resources for individual cases, is possible - which it may not be.

I am sorry, but Thailand is not the US. People do not resort to litigation here because it is extremely slow, and the outcome often based on factors other than the law. For the most part, buyers are expected to protect themselves. There is a small chance the Consumer Protection Board (as already suggested) might help. However, do not get your hopes up. The company almost certainly has influence in high places that you cannot hope to compete with.

Have you considered ..."Judge Judy" ...??

The People are Real --…The cases are Real……The Cameras are Real………The Cameramen are Real....Judge Judy Sheindlin every week-day…..CBS

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

I am sorry, but Thailand is not the US. People do not resort to litigation here because it is extremely slow, and the outcome often based on factors other than the law. For the most part, buyers are expected to protect themselves. There is a small chance the Consumer Protection Board (as already suggested) might help. However, do not get your hopes up. The company almost certainly has influence in high places that you cannot hope to compete with.

I had the exact same problem as the OP.  I always buy Nestles or Crystal bottled water to use in my electric kettle to heat my water for my morning coffee. But last week the store was out of both Nestles and Crystal bottled water, so I bought several bottles of Acme Aqua, which was half the price of Nestles and Crystal. I used it in my electric kettle and after the third day of using the Acme crap, my kettle shorted out. The kettle was less that 5 years old and had always worked perfectly until I made the mistake of filling it with that defective Acme water. The repair guy says that my kettle is shot and I need a new one. I took the broken kettle and the remaining water back to the store where I bought the water with pictures and video showing the damage and explained that I had never had problems previous to filling the kettle with their defective (and cheap) water. I demanded a refund of what I paid for the water (B49) and a new kettle (B229) or I would file a suit for that plus pain and suffering and emotional distress (another B588). They looked at me very strangely and weren't really sure what I was talking about or why I thought that the water I bought from them had damaged my kettle. They said that a guy had been in earlier with a similar claim that his flat screen tv had been damaged by a knock-off Google Chromecast and wanted the store to repair or replace his tv. They thought we were both a bit off, and said politely that if I could provide any reasonable evidence (aka "proof") that the water was defective and caused the damage to my kettle, they would be very willing to pursue my claim with the water bottler.  I couldn't argue with their logic, and they were really very reasonable. 

In Thailand, in the US and everywhere else, in court or in front of the Consumer Protection Agency, the recovery of damages requires proof that the party from whom damages are being sought was the cause of harm/injury suffered. "It's not what you know, it's what you can prove in court" (Law Abiding Citizen). Take the knock-off Google Chromecast and the tv and phone to a qualified electrical engineer, and if he/she will state with reasonable certainty that the knock-off Google Chromecast caused the damage to the tv/phone, you may have a legitimate/valid claim, and if the OP can get that evidence and present it to Lazada, I expect that Lazada will be very willing to repair or replace the damaged tv/phone. I don't expect hat the OP can get the necessary evidence, and like me and my water kettle will have to bear the repair or replacement cost ourselves -- life sucks! Next..........   

7 minutes ago, Thailaw said:

I had the exact same problem as the OP.  I always buy Nestles or Crystal bottled water to use in my electric kettle to heat my water for my morning coffee. But last week the store was out of both Nestles and Crystal bottled water, so I bought several bottles of Acme Aqua, which was half the price of Nestles and Crystal. I used it in my electric kettle and after the third day of using the Acme crap, my kettle shorted out. The kettle was less that 5 years old and had always worked perfectly until I made the mistake of filling it with that defective Acme water. The repair guy says that my kettle is shot and I need a new one. I took the broken kettle and the remaining water back to the store where I bought the water with pictures and video showing the damage and explained that I had never had problems previous to filling the kettle with their defective (and cheap) water. I demanded a refund of what I paid for the water (B49) and a new kettle (B229) or I would file a suit for that plus pain and suffering and emotional distress (another B588). They looked at me very strangely and weren't really sure what I was talking about or why I thought that the water I bought from them had damaged my kettle. They said that a guy had been in earlier with a similar claim that his flat screen tv had been damaged by a knock-off Google Chromecast and wanted the store to repair or replace his tv. They thought we were both a bit off, and said politely that if I could provide any reasonable evidence (aka "proof") that the water was defective and caused the damage to my kettle, they would be very willing to pursue my claim with the water bottler.  I couldn't argue with their logic, and they were really very reasonable. 

In Thailand, in the US and everywhere else, in court or in front of the Consumer Protection Agency, the recovery of damages requires proof that the party from whom damages are being sought was the cause of harm/injury suffered. "It's not what you know, it's what you can prove in court" (Law Abiding Citizen). Take the knock-off Google Chromecast and the tv and phone to a qualified electrical engineer, and if he/she will state with reasonable certainty that the knock-off Google Chromecast caused the damage to the tv/phone, you may have a legitimate/valid claim, and if the OP can get that evidence and present it to Lazada, I expect that Lazada will be very willing to repair or replace the damaged tv/phone. I don't expect hat the OP can get the necessary evidence, and like me and my water kettle will have to bear the repair or replacement cost ourselves -- life sucks! Next..........   

Defective water? Was the quantum spin reversed?

Even if you could find a competent attorney here to handle such a case in the manner you describe, the costs and aggravation of pursuing the civil case to an uncertain outcome would far outweigh anything you're likely to get in return (which at best, would be the value of a TV and phone).

No attorney and court expenses are going to come in LESS than the most you possibly in your wildest dreams might ever receive in a Thai civil court action. And most probably, you'd receive nothing.

BTW, just as a legal aside, believe it or not, the Thai government some months back declared ILLEGAL the importation of non-Thailand-permitted streaming boxes/sticks, with threatened large fines and jail terms for violators who apparently would be considered producers, importers and sellers.

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

UJ has a good suggestion - linked above.

My best advice, beyond that, would be to work via social-media to find others who had the same experience.  If a large enough pool of victims of this faulty product were considered together, perhaps some lawyer/court arrangement to attempt a remedy could be made that would be less costly per-person.  This assumes something akin to a "class action" lawsuit (one case covering multiple plaintiffs), or pooling of legal-resources for individual cases, is possible - which it may not be.

What you're probably missing in advising the OP to go down that road is that in all likelihood, the knockoff Chromecast the OP bought is probably considered an illegal device in Thailand, since it almost certainly has never been registered/permitted by the NBTC.  See the thread I linked to in the prior post.

3 hours ago, JackThompson said:

My best advice, beyond that, would be to work via social-media to find others who had the same experience.

But be careful of what you say and how you say it, or you could end up dealing with a criminal defamation charge.

3 hours ago, Thailaw said:

I had the exact same problem as the OP.  I always buy Nestles or Crystal bottled water to use in my electric kettle to heat my water for my morning coffee. But last week the store was out of both Nestles and Crystal bottled water, so I bought several bottles of Acme Aqua, which was half the price of Nestles and Crystal.

Some people never learn.

All those animated public service announcements warning us against buying Acme products, yet people still do it.

Wile-E-Coyote-cover.jpg