Police order bars in Bangkok and Pattaya to close on Friday

Jonathan Fairfield

Police order bars in Bangkok and Pattaya to close on Friday

0.jpg

Bars in some of the most popular night spots in Bangkok and Pattaya were told they would not be allowed to serve alcohol on Friday October 13.

Police visited bars in the Nana area late on Friday afternoon to tell them that no alcohol can be served before midnight, while bars in Nana Plaza was ordered to close completely.

Bars in Patpong will also be closed while a bar owner in Soi Cowboy told Thaivisa bars will be open but not serving alcohol before midnight.

Thaivisa also understands that police visited bars in east Pattaya ordering them to close on Friday.

However, we spoke to managers of bars in Walking Street and Soi LK Metro who told us that as of 6pm on Friday they had not been visited by police and were not aware of any orders to close or restrictions on alcohol sales. 

Friday October 13 marks the one year anniversary of the passing of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

It is not known if the restrictions on alcohol sales will be applied nationwide on Friday or just in Pattaya and Bangkok.

We are awaiting confirmation on any restrictions in Hua Hin and Phuket and will update this post when we have more information.

UPDATE

Pattaya 

8:40PM - All bars in Soi LK Metro told to close. Large police presence in Pattaya this evening. Thaivisa understands senior officers from Bangkok supervising local police.

Hua Hin - bars open as normal.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-10-13

A little late ! Sheesh, this notice was 7 minutes ago and it's 6:54 pm already !

I went to do my annual moto road tax/insurance thing this morning and found everything closed. Was there yesterday as well and nobody said anything and no signs anywhere (that I could see).

You'd think notice about this would have been sent out 2 weeks ago, not an hour or two before the bars open.

I love living here because the incompetence, stupidity, inability to communicate or get anything right, totally uncoordinated way of doing things, gives me a good laugh every day and makes me realise I am not a total loss after all.

My timeline today.

07:00 Swim...look at the exercise machines in the gym....only look.

08:30. Bacon sarnie, tea.

12:30 After visiting friends in Jontiem, lunch and a beer.

14:30. Mrs at Soi Bhuakoaw market. Beers x2

16:00 Car parked up. Shower Shave Sh** etc. Mrs heads off with kids to visit friends.

17:25. Beer ++++.

19:00 Police arrive...close bar. Manager, staff and customers had no idea this was about to happen.

21:00 Condo, drink beer and moan and complain like hell on ThaiVisa.

Edited by BigBadGeordie

I have no problem with a ban on alcohol sales on such and such a day.... 

However, I DO have a problem with this constant confusion and uncertainty about if its allowed or not, which seem to happen nearly every time, and only applying their decision to random places.  It's just illogical and idiotic.  

They need to get their act together in advance to decide and publicise their decision... not just randomly go about making a mess of it and irritating and inconveniencing people. 

3 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

UPDATE

Pattaya 

8:40PM - All bars in Soi LK Metro told to close. Large police presence in Pattaya this evening. Thaivisa understands senior officers from Bangkok supervising local police.

Well, that makes PERFECT sense is an upside down, Thailand kind of way...

After all, Hua Hin was kind of the home of you know who... So wouldn't want to spoil things there... :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

UPDATE

Pattaya 

Couldn't organize a p155 up in a brewery

Really surprised by the backlash on this.  It is the anniversary of the passing of HM.

Could none of you see that a closure of bars was inevitable today? Regardless of some places being open - this is just blind luck on the part of most of you.

This is one day to give the attacks on bureaucracy a rest methinks

Edited by Argus Tuft
small typo

Went to one of my regular Pattaya watering holes just after 2 pm today, no problems had a few beers and a snack, just after 3 pm some geezer( in civvies ) rocks up on his motorbike and informs the Thai manageress that she has to close the front shutters and doors and keep any noise to the minimum, no problem with that, then on the way home called into one of my favourite bar/restaurant places only to be told that the old bill had been in and said no alcohol sales, this was at 6.30 pm.

Just once in my life I would like to see the authorities here get their bleeding act together and have a coordinated approach to these events, a total bloody shambles.

43 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

Really surprised by the backlash on this. 

No actually I think this is the time for a backlash against Thai bureacracy. The late King was a man of great administrative skills, capable and competent in arranging affairs of state.

I do not think any of the comments above are disrespecting him. Far from it. Mearly a sad reflection on the Kingdom since his passing.

56 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

Really surprised by the backlash on this.  It is the anniversary of the passing of HM.

Could none of you see that a closure of bars was inevitable today? Regardless of some places being open - this is just blind luck on the part of most of you.

I didn't see much complaints?!

Get off your high horse, if today was so significant then why were the Thai owners of such establishments even open to begin with?

49 minutes ago, Argus Tuft said:

We know what this day is, and it is a very sad time.  

We could not see the closure of bars was 'inevitable'.... because no official notice appears to have been given to the general public, including bar and shop owners... Thai or none Thai people alike were in confusion.  

The 'backlash' has nothing to do with what day it is.  The backlash is about the confusion, incompetence and general lack of organisation by the powers that be to communicate their orders with the rest of us.

'Some places being open'... in fact in my area 90 percent of the places were open... and they are mostly Thai places with no tourists.  The places that did not sell alcohol said it was their personal decision... out of respect and their personal beliefs, not because it was illegal.  

If it was make clear to the population that alcohol sales were or were not permitted on this day then we would have no reason to have any 'backlash'.  

1 minute ago, coulson said:

I didn't see much complaints?!

Get off your high horse, if today was so significant then why were the Thai owners of such establishments even open to begin with?

Perhaps you misunderstand me.

I count at least 7 comments complaining about the lack of info about closures today.

All I am saying is that given the circumstances on the importance of what today represents to this country - for places being closed down is no surprise.

No high horse, stop being so dramatic.

And yes today was very significant.  If you cannot understand this then you have no valid for reason for getting uptight about my post

1 minute ago, Argus Tuft said:

Perhaps you misunderstand me.

I count at least 7 comments complaining about the lack of info about closures today.

All I am saying is that given the circumstances on the importance of what today represents to this country - for places being closed down is no surprise.

No high horse, stop being so dramatic.

And yes today was very significant.  If you cannot understand this then you have no valid for reason for getting uptight about my post

Why can't people have alcohol on a significant day?  So long as they are acting within the law, not having loud parties or making problems for people what is wrong with drinking alcohol?  

If the bars are all closes they will still drink at home anyway... perhaps more as they don't have to drive or pay bar bills. 

Don't people have alcohol at funerals?