‘Ying Kai’ jailed three years in forced-labour case

webfact

‘Ying Kai’ jailed three years in forced-labour case

By The Nation

ae3aded0779ec7bcd2d9f22778a22530.jpeg

File photo: Monta “Ying Kai” Yokratanakan

Monta “Ying Kai” Yokratanakan was sentenced to three years in prison on Thursday for human trafficking.

Ratchadapisek Criminal Court in Bangkok imposed the sentence in a lawsuit brought by a plaintiff identified only as Kanchana.

Monta was also ordered to pay Kanchana Bt590,000 in compensation.

The case was related to allegations that Monta, 60, employed three young women to work as her servants without pay or days off from 2006-2010.

Complaints filed by the two other former maids were dismissed due to insufficient evidence.

But the court found that Monta withheld Kanchana’s national ID card and reneged on her promises to pay her Bt6,000 a month in salary and to finance her training at a nursing college.

The court ruled that the ID was seized for the purpose of benefiting from forced labour, in violation of the Anti-Human Trafficking Act 2008.

Monta was sentenced to a four-year jail term, but a quarter of the time was deducted because she had given investigators “useful information”.

Monta, detained at Central Women’s Correctional Institute in Bang Khen district, will be making further court appearances on charges of lodging false police complaints against her former maids, of attempted human trafficking and of lese majeste.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30329657

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-10-19

22 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Three years, after what that (self appointed hi-so) did, she should have got a minimum of 10 years.

The whole situation has obviously been divided into several cases and 3 or 4 cases still in progress.

My guess, there is more jail time coming.  Hope so!

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

The whole situation has obviously been divided into several cases and 3 or 4 cases still in progress.

My guess, there is more jail time coming.  Hope so!

I believe she is still also on the hook for lese majeste.

Edited by Bob12345

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Three years, after what that (self appointed hi-so) did, she should have got a minimum of 10 years.

Or as JR Ewing would say, "The oprey ain't over till the fat lady sings,"   With the additional charges still.to bring brought she will.be desperately looking for things to "sing" about in order to earn further brownie points from supplying more "useful information."

in asia the human exploitation seems to be endless... in my eyes even only to pay her 6000 bhat 

would qualify for a prolonged jail sentence.... maids of all kinds... factory labourers work agencys etc... all make money on the back of the poorest.... 

The sad things is without some kind of clinical intervention, which clearly know does not exist in Thailand, it is highly likely that when she is released she will do the same thing again. She is probably aware of others who are modern day slave owners.

8 hours ago, EcigAmateur said:

I wonder how many of you have been anything else but a poor labour in your home country, to always be against the rich...

Are you condoning the actions of this heartless beast?? I am not a poor laborer, and have a decent job in the technical field, and plenty of money.  And I would like to see this witch sent to prison for life. 

Just now, catman20 said:

The case was related to allegations that Monta, 60, employed three young women to work as her servants without pay or days off from 2006-2010.

only sounds like what most Thai wives do when married to these old farangs.:cheesy:

No. That's legal slavery. completely different.

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

Asyou can see there are more cases pending. O guess you will se something around 10 years when finished.

18 hours ago, Nemesis7 said:

No justice for the poor here my lord, its a land for Police, army and hi so.

Why the same old hackneyed response, did you not read the OP where it stated that the maid was awarded substantial compensation and the woman got another 3 years on top of the sentence she is already serving?

15 hours ago, free123 said:

in asia the human exploitation seems to be endless... in my eyes even only to pay her 6000 bhat 

would qualify for a prolonged jail sentence.... maids of all kinds... factory labourers work agencys etc... all make money on the back of the poorest.... 

Not only asia, with an international "uber privilidged" class growing even the land of the free home of the brave has a big debt slavery problem. I keep reading about how since the so called economic recovery of 2008 almost all the wealth has been going to the 1% while worker class wages have been dropping significantly. 

4 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Why the same old hackneyed response, did you not read the OP where it stated that the maid was awarded substantial compensation and the woman got another 3 years on top of the sentence she is already serving?

Compensation awarded and collected are 2 entirely different things.